shape
carat
color
clarity

flower - gem pics

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Golden sapphire, 3.28 cts, native cut:

5032gldsapp.jpg

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Flame spinel, 2.23 cts, native cut

5050spinel.jpg

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Tanzanite, 13.99 cts, native cut, jacaranda flowers

5022tanz.jpg

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Pink sapphire, 1.52cts, Vietnam, precision radiant cut

5036pksapp.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
great photos! brings out the best in the flowers.....and the stones, of course!

mz

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Those are magnificent photos Zeolite. Are there more?

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my goodness!!!! Those are fabulous photos and the stones of course are not too shabby either. I particularly love the tanzanite. I want to dive in that pool of blue!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous pictures. Love the color of the stones.
18.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful striking color. do you have more pictures?

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
That golden sapphire is to die for!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
These are just amazing, thanks so much for sharing them with us!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Fantastic stones. Love the pics!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amazing stones, and they paired with the perfect flowers! Gorgeous!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow Mr. Zeolite,
I didn''t know you had a soft sensitive side to you with all these flower pics!! LOL!!

Beautiful stones and pictures!! Thank you for sharing.
9.gif

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Wow, awesome gems!!!!!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Wow wow! They are all gorgeous. I love that tanzanite.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Sweet gem shots. Love the similar flower colors. I''ve been noticing that my garden flowers are colored like the best gemstone colors...clear sharp colors with no muddy greys or browns. Lovely way to emphasize this.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GAH!! Each one is just GORGEOUS!!!

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock

Everyone, I’m glad that you enjoy the pictures.

Klewis: Those are magnificent photos Zeolite. Are there more?
D&T: Beautiful striking color. do you have more pictures?
LTP: Amazing stones, and they paired with the perfect flowers!

I actually have many more gems than flowers in my garden. In these pictures, I picked the flowers first, and then matched the closest gem color to the flower. I was walking through my neighborhood today, and spotted some new flower colors. I’ll pinch a blossom or two, and then match new gems pictures to the new flowers.

TL: I didn't know you had a soft sensitive side to you with all these flower pics!!
Yeah, it also shows in my symphony performances.
21.gif

Now for the stories. Gotta have stories to go with the gems:

Cind11: I particularly love the tanzanite. I want to dive in that pool of blue!
Charmypoo: I love that tanzanite.

Tanzanites in the early 1980’s were priced 3 times as high then as now. Factoring in inflation, they were 6 times as high. The color then was much better, however. Around 1988-1990 Tanzania nationalized the tanzanite mines, and a flood or poor peasants swarmed in, Tanzanite production greatly increased, and prices crashed. I bought this one in 1990, when there was a huge selection of Tanzanites on the market.

Tanzanite, after heating, shows purple in two directions and blue in the third direction. Face up blue tanzanites are rare, because almost all crystals will yield a larger stone in the purple direction. This is one of the few ones cut to show blue. It was also photographed in daylight, when all tanzanites shift more toward blue. Its color is as fine as a top kashmir sapphire, and the large size helps deepen the color.

Kribbie: That golden sapphire is to die for!

I bought it 1986. One gem dealer must have had $1,000,000 in golden sapphire inventory. He had over 100 golden sapphires in my size range, and I could only afford one. So I selected from many dozens, and found the best cut one.

Flame spinels: a trade name for extremely rare spinels, usually from Burma, that possess intense color and at the same time, outstanding brilliance. I feel that flame spinels are the only other natural gemstone that can stand up to the color intensity of the finest Paraiba tourmalines.

Vietnam pink sapphire: I was in North Vietnam, in a remote corner, near the border with Laos. I was there to set up a ruby cutting factory. A man approached me, offering to sell me two “spinel” crystals. In a split second, I guessed that one was a sapphire. I bought both crystals and wondered for the remainder of the trip if I was correct. When I got back to the U.S., both were cut into fine gems. I measured both after cutting. I was right that one was a spinel (I need to post a picture of it), and the other was this sapphire.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Interesting stories and gorgeous photos.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Wow, great photography skills! Amazing gems too.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, love th pics and the gems!!! Loving forward to more!!!
3.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
WOW...those photos takes my breath away!!

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Color change spinel, 2.24 cts, Sri Lanka, daylight color. It changes to lavender under incandescent light. GIA Reseach did a complete chemical analysis on this gem. Native cut with considerable window. I''m sure recutting would weaken the strong color change.

ccspin5284.jpg

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
CC pics

715spin.jpg

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
Wow!!! I''m so jealous: of your stones, your flowers, and your photography skills!!!!
36.gif
30.gif
36.gif
30.gif

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Thank everyone about the fine photography comments. It is just a good camera, macro lens, tripod and an overcast day with gentle lighting.

1.07 ct hot pink sapphire, from Sri Lanka.

pksapp5294.jpg

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Zeolite - I remember you had some photos on a thread here showing your gem photography set-up and I must find that and study it properly this time because these flower & gem photos are have inspired me to better my terrible attempts at gem photography. One thing I''m interested to know - how close is the lens to the gem when you take those pics?

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/1/2009 5:36:21 PM
Author: klewis
Zeolite - I remember you had some photos on a thread here showing your gem photography set-up and I must find that and study it properly this time because these flower & gem photos are have inspired me to better my terrible attempts at gem photography. One thing I''m interested to know - how close is the lens to the gem when you take those pics?
Here''s the thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gemstone-photography.113142/

Toward the bottom, it says the front of the camera lens (100mm macro) is 5 3/4" from the gem. But all of the pictures in this thread are just daylight; no diffuser or artificial light is used.

You might notice that my pictures are sharp and there is a range (front to back) where everything is in focus. This is because my advanced camera (digital single lens reflex, DSLR) allows me to manually choose the lens opening. So I choose f16, which is very closed (small lens opening), which lets in very little light. It keeps good focus (front to back) but requires long exposure (about 1/4 second), which requires a tripod.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the link to that thread.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results