shape
carat
color
clarity

Flourescence in E Color Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ladyluck

Rough_Rock
I have been doing a lot of research lately on flourescence in diamonds and have basically read that the lower on the color scale the more strong flourescence can benefit the look of a stone. However, I have also read that flourescence is not advised in a stone that falls in the d-f color range. Does anyone have any comments or ideas on this? How would it affect clarity as well as color?

I recently bought a diamond with the following GIA report in the hopes of getting a nice quality stone. Now I am leary as I bought it sight unseen via the internet.

Here is how the GIA report reads:

Shape and Cutting Style.............ROUND BRILLIANT
Measurements.................6.42-6.51 x 4.07mm.
Weight.......................1.03 carat

Proportions
Depth.........................63%
Table.........................55%
Girdle........................Thin to Medium, Faceted
Culet.........................NONE

Finish
Polish.......................GOOD
Symmetry.....................GOOD

Clarity Grade................VS2
Color Grade..................E
Flourescence.................STRONG BLUE

Thanks!:-o

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Fluorescence is really not a big deal. As a general rule I would suggest not going over a medium blue, but there is nothing really wrong with a strong. What you don't want is an "Overblue": a diamond that turns hazy or milky in sunlight.

No doubt a blue fluorescence can help the appearance of lower color diamonds, but that doesn't mean it detracts from higher color ones.

The GIA has written a couple articles on fluorescence. I don't know if I can post them here but I would be happy to email them to you on your request.

ladyluck

Rough_Rock
Hi Steve-

Thanks so much for your reply. I was assuming that if the strong flourescence was detracting from this stone that the GIA would take that into consideration when grading it. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Like I said, I have not seen the stone yet so I really have no opinion on it. I am going to take it to David Atlas come Monday morning just to be sure. I am expecting the ring tomorrow.

Also, I have been to the GIA's website and noticed an article was written in the Winter of 1997 on this topic. I would greatly appreciate any other information you might have.

Thanks again!

:wink2:

ladyluck

Rough_Rock
The RING ARRIVED! I must admit, I LOVE THE FLOURESCENCE! It gives the stone such character especially in the sunlight. I have never seen such magnificence in a diamond ever in my entire life! I don't have all the specs yet but it's a beauty in my eyes.:love:

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Excellent news! I really like the look of blue fluorescence in diamonds.

Enjoy it!

:)

ladyluck

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much Lawmax for your warm wishes. I was shocked to see how beautiful strong flourescence can be in a diamond of this color.:))

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was going to reply more, but I see that you will be coming in. We will hope that the flourescence proves a positive influence on this stone. Usually strong blue means we can see some evidence of it even without a lot of UV. Sometimes this is okay and other times the stone appears a bit less brilliant.

Soon we will know for sure.

ladyluck

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the comments Dave. I look forward to meeting you Monday.:))

ladyluck

Rough_Rock
Follow Up On Appraisal:

The strong blue flourescence does not appear to affect the brilliance of the stone. I am very pleased with the appraisal.

Many thanks again for all your help
:wavey:

ladyluck

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much Leonid for your warm wishes!:wink2:

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Good news! :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results