shape
carat
color
clarity

flourecence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kvitanis

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend and I were on blue nile last night and came across a diamond - round, 1.26 Carat, G color, SI1 clarity, Ideal cut, excellent polish/ excellent symmetry, GIA...for 6,900$. It seems like a good buy, but the flourecence said it was Strong Blue. What exactly does this mean, and does it affect the appearence of the diamond to the naked eye and in regular lighting?

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
Hi K,
There are several threads on PS regarding fluorescence. You might want to do a search on the forum to learn more. I used the key words "fluorescence" and "strong blue" to find out about a diamond I was looking at.Also, the tutorial addresses this issue as well.
Many people love blue fluorescence and seek it out. Quaeritur had some gorgeous stones with blue fl.
What I learned (I am not a pro by any means) is that fluorescence can actually be a good thing if it does not make the diamond cloudy or milky looking. It is something that should be seen in person or looked at by an independent appraiser. Fluorescence can add a very beautiful look to the diamond and can actually make a diamond look whiter.
9.gif

flouresence appear in diamond in inert, varying shades of blue, and also yellow. yes it does affect the appearence to the naked in some cases if the colour is a top white (defg) it can sometimes appear milky white or whiter than usuall in these top colours it also affects the price in these cases with usally brining the price down around 10% to 15%.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
I love fluorescence, so long as it's blue. Yellow fluor may actually decrease the value of a stone even more. In RARE cases, strong or very strong fluorescence can make a stone appear milky or oily, so you should confirm this is not the case in the one you are considering.

Fluorescence can be visible to the naked eye (usually only medium and stronger), but only in lighting that has a UV component like sunlight. It will appear faintly bluish -an effect some people love and others don't, so you should see if it's something that you like. Personally, I think it's rather unique, and beautiful, so I look for it in my stones.

Here's a picture of a D color with strong blue fluorescence. As you can see, it has a slight blue tinge, but it remains very crisp, no milkiness at all
1.gif

stgblu8star.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 10/4/2004 5:24:39 PM quaeritur wrote:
Here's a picture of a D color with strong blue fluorescence.
----------------

Oh wow, wow, wow! How did you make that picture happen! This must be the nicest diamond portrait on the world wide web
1.gif

About fluorescence - there is one on-going thread you may want to look at : THIS (see second page, Richard Hughes and Mogok ref.).
read.gif

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock
Ooh... I LOVE strong blue fluorescence.

My 'F' old european has it. It's stunning.

In my opinion is has an extra kick to it. I want all my diamonds to have it now.

kvitanis

Rough_Rock
I definitely see how flourescence is so unique by the way that diamond looks. I think we might consider going with flourescence. My boyfriend printed up a long study done on flourescence by GIA. It was very interesting. They had people from average customers, to certified appraisers look at different diamonds with various degrees of flourescence and also diammonds with no flourescence in natural lighting, and the outcome was that there was no real difference seen in the diamonds, but the customers seemed to like the ones with flourescence better. No one knew which diamonds had flourescence in them. Kind of interesting
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results