shape
carat
color
clarity

Fix chips or not?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jsimon

Rough_Rock
I''m resetting my diamond. Brilliant cut 7.80/7.88 x 3.46. 1.30 cts, #8 cut, #5 color, #3 clarity (6.5) dwt. There are a few girdle chips.

I copied this description from an AGS appraisal.

I prefer a larger looking diamond, and am not sure if it is worth sacrificing the size. I don''t see the chips with the naked eye.

Could someone translate my specs into more common ones? I think the color means H, but am not sure. What does 6.5 dwt mean?
confused.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
#5 color = IJ color
#3 clarity= VS1 clarity
#8 cut = Poor cut

The millimeter measurements you listed indicate a very shallow diamond (44.1% depth), which is the reason for the "poor" cut grade. Most well cut diamonds fall somewhere in the 58-62% depth neighborhood. This one is what dealers refer to as a "pancake" stone.

That's not to say that it's not pretty. It just doesn't line up with the traditional stats for a well cut diamond.

6.5 dwt= 6.5 pennyweights, or 10.1 grams (weight of entire ring

The diamond chipped because of it's shallow depth and probable extremely thin girdle. If the chips don't bother you visually, I would recommend leaving it alone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results