shape
carat
color
clarity

First time Diamond Buyer, yet another Feedback Request

949r6

Rough_Rock
Greetings everyone! First are foremost, thank you all for the wealth of information and great feedback. I could research for a full year and still not have a clear cut answer for anyone or myself. As a first time buyer, I'm sure we all want to get the best value for our hard earned money and I'd be interested to hear feedback or even your opinion/ranking of the stones I've been researching. Please don't waste your time if you are not interested but I think I've paralysis by analysis!

My criteria:
Cut: Ideal / Hearts & Arrows (BG HA potentially BGB and Whiteflash ACA)
Color: H (if medium fluorescence) or G and colorless (without fluorescence)
Carat: 0.9 to 1.0x
Clarity: VS1 or better

I've put together a spreadsheet with further cut details and have picked out my top two....am I on the right track? Could I do better? What would your top two be and why? Would love to read you're feedback/ranking. What's important to me? Cut, which is why I've limited it to BG Signature (or Blue, I've read conflicting information that they are true or close to H&A) and Whiteflash ACA.

Diamond shopping has been fascinating and enjoying the process.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j0d8OhiW3uSrL0F7ziHdPvWNgs3TyA1iQu4G1xyQKJ0/edit#gid=0

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Greetings everyone! First are foremost, thank you all for the wealth of information and great feedback. I could research for a full year and still not have a clear cut answer for anyone or myself. As a first time buyer, I'm sure we all want to get the best value for our hard earned money and I'd be interested to hear feedback or even your opinion/ranking of the stones I've been researching. Please don't waste your time if you are not interested but I think I've paralysis by analysis!

My criteria:
Cut: Ideal / Hearts & Arrows (BG HA potentially BGB and Whiteflash ACA)
Color: H (if medium fluorescence) or G and colorless (without fluorescence)
Carat: 0.9 to 1.0x
Clarity: VS1 or better

I've put together a spreadsheet with further cut details and have picked out my top two....am I on the right track? Could I do better? What would your top two be and why? Would love to read you're feedback/ranking. What's important to me? Cut, which is why I've limited it to BG Signature (or Blue, I've read conflicting information that they are true or close to H&A) and Whiteflash ACA.

Diamond shopping has been fascinating and enjoying the process.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j0d8OhiW3uSrL0F7ziHdPvWNgs3TyA1iQu4G1xyQKJ0/edit#gid=0

Hi 949 and welcome!

That's a lot of stones!:eek-2:

They're all excellent and you could probably choose any of them but if you want VS1 or better, scratch the SI clarity grades. Scratch the Expert Selection if you want H&A, see what's left for colour grades and your fluorescence preferences, then go from there.

Post your top 3 or 4 with the links and we'll take a look for you.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prioritized size and eliminated I-color per your brief above. WF has a more generous upgrade policy that BG (both 100% of value toward upgrade, but BG requires you upgrade 2 of 3 color, clarity or
size). So, that might factor in your decision.

I'd look at each SI1 and see which have the least visible inclusion. Then, post your top 4.

upload_2018-4-27_8-52-37.png

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL, and I thought I was anal. No offense meant, I like spreadsheets too.

Deciphering through this spreadsheet I saw the following 4 diamonds listed as his 5 star selections. He had someone rank them as 1, 2 & 3 which I listed in the proper order. The #4 is his last 5 star selection I saw.

1 - 1.022 Round H VS2 Ideal Blue AGS $7,436 $7,213 https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...1.022-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104098251017

2 - 0.902 Round G VS1 Ideal A CUT ABOVE® AGS $6,975 $6,766 View Details Whiteflash http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104096898002-PGRH.PDF

3 - 0.91 Round H VS2 Ideal A CUT ABOVE® AGS $6,410 $6,218 View Details Whiteflash http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104097130052-PGRH.PDF

4 - 1.038 Round H VS2 Ideal Signature AGS $8,010 $7,770 https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ls/1.038-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104097235018

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prioritized size and eliminated I-color per your brief above. WF has a more generous upgrade policy that BG (both 100% of value toward upgrade, but BG requires you upgrade 2 of 3 color, clarity or
size). So, that might factor in your decision.

I'd look at each SI1 and see which have the least visible inclusion. Then, post your top 4.

upload_2018-4-27_8-52-37.png

Nice work my Fairykins! Don't think he wants SI though, unless I read the OP wrongly?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL, and I thought I was anal. No offense meant, I like spreadsheets too.

Stick around, this is THE place for number crunchers and those who delight in details to unite.
nerd.gif

949r6

Rough_Rock
Very much a number cruncher and spreadsheet person when it matters. Helped me consolidate all the information from various sources and attempt to try to compare apples to apples (even though I may not know what a proper apple would look like!), plus it was interesting to look at all the facet metrics & compare. :read:

While I'm not deadset on going with BG, the referral plus additional discount they offered makes it compelling choice over WF ACA's. Among the 1.0's I've narrowed it down to the following:

BGB 1.022 H VS2:
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ags-bl-104098251017#!prettyPhoto[gallery2]/2/

BG Signature 1.045 G SI1
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...nd-ags-104099046021#!prettyPhoto[gallery2]/2/

Both eye clean, one being a true H&A and the a near H&A w fluorescence. The difference between the two is ~$700. Cut Nuts aside, under everyday real world usage, I'm certain that I will not be able to tell the difference between the brilliance and fire between the two....or would I/you?

I noticed the differences in the ASET & Ideal scopes between the two. Would the $700 warrant the G over the H with mild fluorescence?

949r6

Rough_Rock
No wonder you have not had a reply.
Choose your top 2 or 3 stones and make it easy for people to help you

Agree, too many stones for everyone, was fishing for people who had any interest in digging into at all the details.

949r6

Rough_Rock
BG just provided the hearts image for the BGB H VS2. Clef heart, but still looks like an amazing cut to me.

3079_BLAGS-104098251017.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BG just provided the hearts image for the BGB H VS2. Clef heart, but still looks like an amazing cut to me.

I like it!

949r6

Rough_Rock
I like it!

Ditto.

Is it concerning that the BG Signature G SI1 pavilion angle is 43%? Based on what I've gleened, it does not seem out of the ordinary to expect 40.6-40.8% for a true H&A.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMO, clef hearts are fine as long as all 8 hearts match.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Ditto.

Is it concerning that the BG Signature G SI1 pavilion angle is 43%? Based on what I've gleened, it does not seem out of the ordinary to expect 40.6-40.8% for a true H&A.

The clefts are tiny by the hearts and chevrons are very much even in size. It’s a beautiful hearts image. Now i’m Thinking that I should have asked Lesley if they could have taken a hearts image of my wife’s 0.962 BG Blue when I bought it a year and a bit ago. Live and learn.

The 43% pavilion you are referring to is pavilion depth. Pavilion angle is 40.8 degrees. No probs there.

949r6

Rough_Rock
This one looks great to me!...:love::clap:

Yes! Thanks for the confirmation!

The clefts are tiny by the hearts and chevrons are very much even in size. It’s a beautiful hearts image. Now i’m Thinking that I should have asked Lesley if they could have taken a hearts image of my wife’s 0.962 BG Blue when I bought it a year and a bit ago. Live and learn.

The 43% pavilion you are referring to is pavilion depth. Pavilion angle is 40.8 degrees. No probs there.

That was a big miss on my part. thank you very much for pointing that out!

949r6

Rough_Rock
Of the following three, I'm torn between the top one and two of my pick. I didn't mention #2 earlier intentionally but glad that it was brought up.

1. BGB 1.022 H VS2 $7.2k - Med fluor may help with the H color; ~$500 less than #2
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...1.022-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104098251017

2. BG Signature 1.038 H VS2 $7.8K - Looks like an absolute perfect cut all around; retains 100% of the value if I were to upgrade.
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ls/1.038-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104097235018

3. BG Signature 1.045 G SI1 $8K - #2's cut looks better on paper than #3; is $200 worth the trade off between color and clarity? Don't know if I could tell between the G & H color difference.
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ls/1.045-g-si1-round-diamond-ags-104099046021

What is your #1 & why? :wall:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#1...cost less b/c of its med fluor and not his signature H&A stone.
#3...I'd prefer a stone w/o the "knot" comment on the clarity.
#2...is my pick b/c I'd prefer the higher crown + a smaller table. That just me..;))

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m curious where you’re getting those crown and pavilion restrictions from?

There is nothing wrong with your selections! I’m just going to point out that scanner error and averaging of those values around the stone make the sort of precision you seem to be issuing judgment by meaningless. Cut of #2 in your last post is not superior to #3 in any way.

949r6

Rough_Rock
I’m curious where you’re getting those crown and pavilion restrictions from?

There is nothing wrong with your selections! I’m just going to point out that scanner error and averaging of those values around the stone make the sort of precision you seem to be issuing judgment by meaningless. Cut of #2 in your last post is not superior to #3 in any way.

If they were good enough to make it to BG's Signature line, I won't try to convince myself otherwise. I was simply going by a few 'optimal' ranges from various sources and comparing measurements of the stones to each other...as I mentioned earlier, just trying to compare apples to apples but I myself am unsure what a true apple looks like! :wall:

Pavilion angle range: 40.2° – 41.2° (40.6° – 40.8° is optimum)
Crown angle range: 33.4° – 36.4° (34° – 35° is optimum)
Table size range: 53% To 58% (54%-57% is optimum)
Lower girdle halves length range: 75% To 80% (77% is optimum)
Star facets length range: 40% To 58% (45%-50% is optimum)

949r6

Rough_Rock
#1...cost less b/c of its med fluor and not his signature H&A stone.
#3...I'd prefer a stone w/o the "knot" comment on the clarity.
#2...is my pick b/c I'd prefer the higher crown + a smaller table. That just me..;))

Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they were good enough to make it to BG's Signature line, I won't try to convince myself otherwise. I was simply going by a few 'optimal' ranges from various sources and comparing measurements of the stones to each other...as I mentioned earlier, just trying to compare apples to apples but I myself am unsure what a true apple looks like! :wall:

Pavilion angle range: 40.2° – 41.2° (40.6° – 40.8° is optimum)
Crown angle range: 33.4° – 36.4° (34° – 35° is optimum)
Table size range: 53% To 58% (54%-57% is optimum)
Lower girdle halves length range: 75% To 80% (77% is optimum)
Star facets length range: 40% To 58% (45%-50% is optimum)

With @yssie, curious where you got those from?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are a few articles I ref. This conversation is helping me calibrate myself and bring me back to earth!

**edited by moderator, no affiliate links please

If you mean these numbers below, looks like the Cheat Sheet that's been doing the rounds on PS for many years. NiceIce's tutorials have also been around years, are excellent and have helped many, I'm not seeing those other numbers you mentioned though?

Perfect-diamond-proportions.png

Last edited by a moderator:

949r6

Rough_Rock
If you mean these numbers below, looks like the Cheat Sheet that's been doing the rounds on PS for many years. NiceIce's tutorials have also been around years, are excellent and have helped many, I'm not seeing those other numbers you mentioned though?

The other measurements were from the 2nd link. Sorry for the brevity, lady friend is here for the weekend and will need to be discrete on my phone! Not trying to justify my position or point, completely open to feedback and bringing some sensibility....don't have many friends to talk diamonds with, most of whom have never heard of H&A's...but I'm enjoying this vetting process with everyone here!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I see now and no worries lol! Pop back when you are able and someone's bound to be around to help, we come from all over the world here!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m just following your thread. You will have a spectacular diamond. Please come back with shots when you’ve got the ring.

949r6

Rough_Rock
I’m just following your thread. You will have a spectacular diamond. Please come back with shots when you’ve got the ring.

Thank you. The local jewelry here sells primarily egl cert diamonds which I will not buy. But when I saw two egl G & H side by side...was surprised to see the color difference, perhaps it's the variance in grading between the two stones or maybe the jeweler showed me a poor H to upsell me! And i couldn't tell between a G and F. It's my understanding that color grading scales can vary, egl potentially 2 color grades off, and ags can be softer than gia.

Can someone chime in on there BG H experience?

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
I like this choice:
A lot:
2. BG Signature 1.038 H VS2 $7.8K - Looks like an absolute perfect cut all around; retains 100% of the value if I were to upgrade.
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ls/1.038-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104097235018

The why is the harder part. I think dancing fire said it best "high crown small table". H vs2 is my "sweet spot" for the clarity/color dance one plays.

But the less technical part of me looked at the stone and went "yummy" . . . . it's gonna be a sparkler in all lights.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@949r6 I think many of us can relate to the difficulty of trying to consolidate several information sources into a single cohesive story ::) The problem is that the center of the Venn diagram that results is usually needlessly restrictive!

It has been observed here on PS that AGS is sometimes softer on colour than GIA. I personally have not experienced this, but my sample size is small - most of my stones have GIA reports. That said, the colour scale “widens” as it lowers - the range of body colours that might earn a J, say, is much wider than the range of tint acceptable in a G. In the colours you’re looking at - reputably-graded F-H - I don’t think discussion on GIA vs. AGSL colour grading merits another thought.

As I’m sure you know already, but for the benefit of lurkers who might be reading your thread - the issue with EGL (in the US) is that we don’t know how a reputable lab would have graded the stone. It could be dead on, it could be three grades off - their standards are both loose and inconsistently applied.

Of the three choices you’ve presented... I’m eliminating the Blue - you’re obviously very particular about cut so only precision-cutting will do ::)
Between the two Signature stones... both are impeccably cut. I am, however, surprised to see how prominent that grade-making crystal is in the VS2 - I don’t know offhand what BGD’s definition of “normal viewing distance” is (it’s probably documented somewhere on the site) but... I’d put money on a black crystal near the middle of the table close to the table surface being visible up-close IRL on slight tilt of the stone (so the mains aren’t obstructed). The SI1 looks more clean in the video but it’s difficult to make out details. You’ll need to decide what “eye clean” means to you and ask your rep if either of those stones meets your definition.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results