shape
carat
color
clarity

First Time Buyer: Thoughts on This Diamond? (A Little Overwhelmed)

MrGoodKat

Rough_Rock
Buying a diamond for the first time for an engagement ring. I have tried to read all of the resources I could find on this page and others, but I still have a hard time telling if things are a good deal. I feel like I see diamonds of similar quality with vastly different prices.

Goal: 2 ct
Budget: $9,000
Shape: Round
I like the thought of lab diamonds (not married to the idea though, pun intended), but I'm also not against second hand.

I came across this one on Brilliant Earth:
https://www.brilliantearth.com/lab-diamonds-search/view_detail/8069911/

$8,400
2.10 ct
Shape: Round
Cut: Ideal
Color: H
Clarity: VS1
Pavilion Angle: 41°
Crown Angle: 34.5°

It seems like a good deal meeting my goals. But maybe I'm overlooking something or could get more bang for my buck.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to the forum :)

If we are discussing MMDs, you will have to click 'Report Concern' at the bottom of your post and ask a nice admin/mod if they can move it into the Lab Grown Diamonds section of the forum, as Rockytalky is only for Mined diamonds at this moment in time.

In the meantime, run the diamond's angles through the HCA tool under the Tools tab at the top of the foum. You need to look for stones with a score at or around 2.0.

FWIW I think the stone you have selected will perform less well than it could on the HCA - you should try to stay within these angles for MRBs to reach 'Pricescope-recommended' proportions :)

Table 54-58 or 59%
Depth 60-62.4%
Pavilion 40.6-40.9 degrees
Crown 34-35 degrees (up to 35.5 or even 36 with a shallow pavilion of 40.6).

Where crown angle increases, the pavilion angle should decrease (and vice versa).

As you have noticed, LGD/MMD prices are all over the place at the moment and we don't have a search function on PS at this moment in time, so we have to do a lot of searching! Do check out the list of vendors in the LGD section of the forum, if you haven't already :)

MrGoodKat

Rough_Rock

If we are discussing MMDs, you will have to click 'Report Concern' at the bottom of your post and ask a nice admin/mod if they can move it into the Lab Grown Diamonds section of the forum, as Rockytalky is only for Mined diamonds at this moment in time.

In the meantime, run the diamond's angles through the HCA tool under the Tools tab at the top of the foum. You need to look for stones with a score at or around 2.0.

FWIW I think the stone you have selected will perform less well than it could on the HCA - you should try to stay within these angles for MRBs to reach 'Pricescope-recommended' proportions :)

Table 54-58 or 59%
Depth 60-62.4%

Where crown angle increases, the pavilion angle should decrease (and vice versa).

As you have noticed, LGD/MMD prices are all over the place at the moment and we don't have a search function on PS at this moment in time, so we have to do a lot of searching! Do check out the list of vendors in the LGD section of the forum, if you haven't already :)

Thanks so much for the feedback. I will ask an admin to move it.

But generally speaking, lab grown or mined, I appreciate the advice about the HCA tool.

I put the stats according to the certificate in the and received a rating of 1.9:
upload_2019-8-13_15-20-49.png
upload_2019-8-13_15-17-32-png.707092

I'll definitely running everything through this tool from here on out. I like that it levels the playing field.

With a score close to 2, should I consider this one as a possible purchase option?

Thanks again!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for the feedback. I will ask an admin to move it.

But generally speaking, lab grown or mined, I appreciate the advice about the HCA tool.

I put the stats according to the certificate in the and received a rating of 1.9:
upload_2019-8-13_15-20-49.png
upload_2019-8-13_15-17-32-png.707092

I'll definitely running everything through this tool from here on out. I like that it levels the playing field.

With a score close to 2, should I consider this one as a possible purchase option?

Thanks again!
Under 2.0 is pretty much guaranteed to have angles that work well together :) although there are considerations of crown height and table size with regards to white light or coloured fire tendencies (i.e. shallow crown <34 and larger table >58 will most probably give more white light, whereas higher crown and smaller table will most probably give more coloured fire) and some stones under a score of 1 might be at risk of excessive obstruction/dark contrast when viewed head-on (which IIRC is only really a risk when the pavilion angle is shallow and at risk of being under 40.45 degrees).

Between 2 and, what, 2.5? 2.7? 3?? (I can't remember!) means they have potential but some more in-depth analysis is needed.

I can't remember if, as a new member, you will be limited to three HCA uses (per day?). If you were searching for Mined diamonds you could use the search bar at the top of the forum and then select only 'Excellent' in the HCA section of the Advanced filters and pull up loads of viable <2.0-score options in one hit, but as we are looking at MMDs... :lol:

Last edited:

MrGoodKat

Rough_Rock
I can't remember if, as a new member, you will be limited to three HCA uses (per day?). If you were searching for Mined diamonds you could use the search bar at the top of the forum and then select only 'Excellent' in the HCA section of the Advanced filters and pull up loads of viable <2.0-score options in one hit, but as we are looking at MMDs... :lol:

Good to know. I'll give that a try and check out a list of mined diamonds.

Dia123

Rough_Rock

Table 54-58 or 59%
Depth 60-62.4%

@OoohShiny What do you think about these stats? Table-56% Depth 61.3% Crown angle 33.5 pavilion angle 40.8.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the HCA tool needs more details to work but I believe those details should work together.

The crown is lower but the table is smaller, so it might have a balance of white light return and coloured fire.

Dia123

Rough_Rock
I think the HCA tool needs more details to work but I believe those details should work together.

The crown is lower but the table is smaller, so it might have a balance of white light return and coloured fire.

It scores 0.9 - its only the crown of 33.5 that falls outside your stats above (34). I know 1-2 is ideal for rings but hoping these stats should work nicely?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check August Vintage. I know Jon has a 1.5 carat Lab diamond for about $4,000

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It scores 0.9 - its only the crown of 33.5 that falls outside your stats above (34). I know 1-2 is ideal for rings but hoping these stats should work nicely?
HCA score indicates the angles work, so that is good. Under 1 does not automatically disqualify from rings - it's only in some cases where obstruction can be an issue.

Whether you prefer 60/60 stones, high crown and small tables and coloured fire, shallow crown and larger tables and white light, fat arrows or thin arrows... is personal taste :)

All you can do is buy in full awareness of the options, so you know exactly what you want and are buying!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results