shape
carat
color
clarity

First time buyer--Help!!

clueless26

Rough_Rock
Hi...
As you can see by my name I don’t really know a lot about diamonds. I have recently began looking for a diamond, and have read a few websites and understand a little bit more than I did a few months ago but not enough to feel comfortable about buying a diamond on my own yet. When I started my search all I knew was that I like princess cut the best. I love to look at a round diamond, but when I put it on I don’t like it. I wanted something new, so I thought..at least a carat, the best cut, G-H and the highest clarity I can afford. On Monday I went with my mom to a place that sells ‘junk’, but also estate and vintage jewelry. I thought I’d check out his diamonds just because. And that is when I was introduced to an OEC that I’ve been dreaming about since. I don’t know a lot about it yet (except it is the most sparkly thing ive ever seen). All I know is that it’s supposedly a carat center stone with two baguettes on both sides totaling .15. It is set in a square platinum setting so the round diamond looks square, and he says it’s G in color. I don’t know clarity, or anything else. I am going back tomorrow to look at it and get some more information. What kinds of questions should I ask? I would definitely want to get it independently appraised so I know exactly what I have, so I do know I want an airtight return policy first and foremost. It is priced at $3795. Is that reasonable? I know I’ve not given you much information about it, but that’s all I know at this point. Does anyone have any good questions I could ask about this ring? I do have one picture I took with my camera phone... Thanks…McKinley 109.jpg

Lula

Ideal_Rock
It looks like you've found a beautiful ring. Here are my suggestions:

1) Look at this site, Jewels by Erica Grace,http://jewelsbyericagrace.com/home to see how rings similar to the one you're looking at are priced by a reputable vintage jeweler, so you can get some idea of the value.

2) Older stones can have chips and scratches on them (due to age and wear) that may affect the value of the stone and in some cases the durability of the diamond. So you'll definitely want to pay a qualified independent appraiser to judge the size, color and clarity of the diamond and test the metal, assess the soundness of the setting, etc.

3) You might want to ask the moderators to move this thread over to the Timeless Classics forum where you will find lots of antique diamond and jewelry lovers. Just hit the "report concern" button when you're logged in, and type a message to the moderators asking them to move the thread for you.

clueless26

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your reply--I wasn't sure where to post. I requested that it be moved. Also, thanks for the site to compare.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results