shape
carat
color
clarity

First thread. Advise needed on diamond. Thank you.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nah, thanks for playing the devil's advocate. Would you care to explain your rationale between your recommendation vs the expert selection .74ct G VS2 that I shortlisted :lol:

I just feel that their ACAs are the top of line and the stones I chose are all within the same price range as the others so why wouldn't I go for the best they have to offer? There's no significant appeal to the ES stone IMO. I wouldn't hesitate if it were significantly cheaper or larger but, for example, with this stone you're even getting better clarity for less than $100 difference and still less than the other options. https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3842184.htm.

I eliminated the BG and VC stones bc their tables were closer to 57 (again, we're really nitpicking here), I eliminated the JA bc you could get a super ideal stone for the same exact price with better upgrade policies. That leaves WF and CBI. I'd choose the CBI over the WF ES stone. But I'd choose the ACA and save a few hundred bucks over the CBI if you decide to consider that one.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sound logic by @ac117. :clap:

I might add a few pennies worth of my own experience here. Before deciding on my BG stone, I mulled over several stones at WF, one of which was a premium select G VS1.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3945630.htm

It was compared against several ACA's (recommended by PSers) by their gemologist and her team of associates. Each time, she kept recommending that premium select stone saying it was better for one reason or another each time. She was very surprised it wasn't an ACA and said it was unusual a premium select outperformed their ACA's.

In reality, I think the differences were very minor, and both would have made me very happy. I was leaning towards the G premium myself when the BG stone got presented and won my heart.

R4ng3r

Rough_Rock
Hope you guys are well. @sledge @ac117 @farrahlyn @rockysalamander

So I decided to expand my search and head down to JANNPAUL (not sure you heard of this shop. It was a friend's recommendation). One of the staff showed me a 0.77ct G VS1 diamond, HCA Rating 0.9 (see the scope image below. Pardon me -- its not the best image quality) and was quoted USD4,100 (SGD5,500) for the stone.

I am still deciding whether to get the .74ct diamond from WF (priced at USD$3,200 include tax) that was recommend by you guys (link below).

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3964572.htm

Thought would be nice to give you all an updates and include you all in the decision making. Perhaps you can weigh in before I decide in mid-june. Any thoughts?

Thanks once again. Much gratitude. :appl:

PHOTO-2018-06-04-19-24-28.jpg
PHOTO-2018-06-04-19-24-40.jpg
PHOTO-2018-06-04-19-24-28-2.jpg
PHOTO-2018-06-04-19-24-28-3.jpg

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope you guys are well. @sledge @ac117 @farrahlyn @rockysalamander

So I decided to expand my search and head down to JANNPAUL (not sure you heard of this shop. It was a friend's recommendation). One of the staff showed me a 0.77ct G VS1 diamond, HCA Rating 0.9 (see the scope image below. Pardon me -- its not the best image quality) and was quoted USD4,100 (SGD5,500) for the stone.

I am still deciding whether to get the .74ct diamond from WF (priced at USD$3,200 include tax) that was recommend by you guys (link below).

Thought would be nice to give you all an updates and include you all in the decision making. Perhaps you can weigh in before I decide in mid-june. Any thoughts?

Thanks once again. Much gratitude. :appl:

PHOTO-2018-06-04-19-24-28.jpg
PHOTO-2018-06-04-19-24-40.jpg
PHOTO-2018-06-04-19-24-28-2.jpg
PHOTO-2018-06-04-19-24-28-3.jpg

Beautiful stone by JannPaul but I wouldn't pay the additional money for VS1 clarity when the VS2 is certainly eye clean and provides a better value, IMO. The size difference won't be perceivable. Also, the JP stone shows clefts in all of the hearts in the hearts image - not that this will be seen, but it's not technically cut perfectly. If you look at the WF stone hearts image, none of the hearts have clefts.

R4ng3r

Rough_Rock
Also, the JP stone shows clefts in all of the hearts in the hearts image - not that this will be seen, but it's not technically cut perfectly. If you look at the WF stone hearts image, none of the hearts have clefts.

You're right -- super sharp eyesight! I didn't even notice that part. Technically it not affect the stone's performance (i.e. fire, sparks) right?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats @R4ng3r, it sounds like you are moving closer to making a final decision!

I've heard of JP, but not dealt with them (searching or buying). I've heard some good reviews and that they also offer some good pricing. When their name came up, it was because they offered pricing lower than others, or because of their overseas location and the possibility to deal with them easier because of that.

Some things I'd check:
  • What type of cert for the diamond? GIA or AGS is preferred, and the most trusted.
  • Upgrade policy? With WF, you have a very, very generous upgrade policy. Basically spend $1 more and you get full credit for your existing stone.
  • Communication barriers. Sounds silly but dealing with thick accents can be frustrating and yield a less than stellar result. I heard someone say there is a "person" at JP that you should deal with to eliminate this. I cannot remember their name.
  • If shipping overseas, duties & taxes for both companies need to be compared.
One thing is certain -- if you are on the fence with WF, you should at least call them and place the diamond on hold. If not, then anyone can swoop in and buy it from under you. They only like to hold a few days, maybe an extra day or two if you call & ask so a mid-June decision may not be practicable for them to hold that long. I am not certain JP's policy.

Here's my rub with JP. To use them, you need a clear cut advantage -- either diamond performance or price. I don't see that. In fact you are paying slightly more for VS1 clarity, which in the big scheme is not a big deal (unless it's a mind thing -- you are certainly eye clean with a VS2).

R4ng3r

Rough_Rock
Sorry about that I miscalculated @sledge @ac117 @farrahlyn @rockysalamander

The stone over at WF is priced at USD3.9K (tax included) so basically I am paying USD200 more for a slightly bigger stone and the VS1 clarity. Just to double check, the .74ct diamond from WF is it considered Ideal or Super Ideal? What I was told at JP is that the .77ct stone quoted is just Ideal cut.
If I were to consider their Super Ideal cuts it ranges from USD5,000 onwards.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry about that I miscalculated @sledge @ac117 @farrahlyn @rockysalamander

The stone over at WF is priced at USD3.9K (tax included) so basically I am paying USD200 more for a slightly bigger stone and the VS1 clarity. Just to double check, the .74ct diamond from WF is it considered Ideal or Super Ideal? What I was told at JP is that the .77ct stone quoted is just Ideal cut.
If I were to consider their Super Ideal cuts it ranges from USD5,000 onwards.

Which vendor has the setting you want?

The WF stone missed out on the ACA requirement - I think one heart isn't perfect (you could ask WF and they could tell you why). They are extremely strict on their requirements for their ACA line. It's a near miss for a super ideal technically.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL, I just assumed you ask for a PS discount and they gave it to you, which is why you had the price difference. Although recently there was a thread that there are no "official PS" discounts. I found in my own conversations it never hurts to ask if they can do anything to help you sweeten the pot and tip you to their side. Usually it's a good tactic and can help you save a few extra bucks. Of course, I've negotiated with Walmart (and won), lol.

Just curious -- but are you certain WF charges you sales tax? If you don't live in TX I think you are on the honor system as they don't collect tax for out of state purchases. Sort of like how Amazon was before they started collecting for all the states they ship to.

As far as the cut of the WF stone, as @ac117 pointed out -- it's a near miss -- like a 9.9 but not a perfect 10. So technically not a super ideal, but almost. FYI, she did post an actual ACA stone that was $100 difference and would be a super ideal.

FL_Sol

Shiny_Rock
I just feel that their ACAs are the top of line and the stones I chose are all within the same price range as the others so why wouldn't I go for the best they have to offer? There's no significant appeal to the ES stone IMO. I wouldn't hesitate if it were significantly cheaper or larger but, for example, with this stone you're even getting better clarity for less than $100 difference and still less than the other options. https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3842184.htm.

I eliminated the BG and VC stones bc their tables were closer to 57 (again, we're really nitpicking here), I eliminated the JA bc you could get a super ideal stone for the same exact price with better upgrade policies. That leaves WF and CBI. I'd choose the CBI over the WF ES stone. But I'd choose the ACA and save a few hundred bucks over the CBI if you decide to consider that one.

May I ask, what does the near 57 table cause in a diamond? I know you said it is just nitpicking but is there a visual of some sort that it causes?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
May I ask, what does the near 57 table cause in a diamond? I know you said it is just nitpicking but is there a visual of some sort that it causes?

It's mainly a preference with the thought there is slightly more fire. It's more complicated than that and IMO it's kind of a personal issue but if you know yourself and your eyes well enough you should always seek out what looks best to you.

More detailed explanation here:
https://beyond4cs.com/grading/depth-and-table-values/

I might add 53-58 meets H&A requirements with 54-57 being optimum.

http://www.heartsandarrows.com/hearts-arrows-diamond-ideal-cut-dna.aspx

FL_Sol

Shiny_Rock
It's mainly a preference with the thought there is slightly more fire. It's more complicated than that and IMO it's kind of a personal issue but if you know yourself and your eyes well enough you should always seek out what looks best to you.

I kind of knew it would cause more fire but the way it was mentioned was almost like it was a bad thing and maybe there was another effect that people may want to avoid.mine has a 56.8 and I love it. I am looking to make a 5 stone and just want to know why the table at that size may need to stay the same or be avoided.

FL_Sol

Shiny_Rock

Also, if up to 57 is optimal why would nearly 57 be nitpicking? Do people try to target the middle of the range?

R4ng3r

Rough_Rock
@farrahlyn @sledge @ac117 @rockysalamander thanks for the help in the process. To close the loop for this thread, I want to share with you the diamond I chose in the end. Ps my then-gf (currently my fiancée) said YAS!

That's a photo I took after the proposal over at the top of the light house in Australia. Likewise, some professional photo taken by the jeweller.

Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 10.05.31 PM.png

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 9
  • image.png
    image.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow @R4ng3r the ring looks freakin' awesome! So very happy for you and the future Mrs. Congrats! :clap:

Now give us the details on the final selection. We need to know, lol.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring, great stone, happy couple! Happy that it all worked out, congrats!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@farrahlyn @sledge @ac117 @rockysalamander thanks for the help in the process. To close the loop for this thread, I want to share with you the diamond I chose in the end. Ps my then-gf (currently my fiancée) said YAS!

That's a photo I took after the proposal over at the top of the light house in Australia. Likewise, some professional photo taken by the jeweller.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg
Beautiful!!

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Congrats !! Amazing diamond and setting selection !

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

It's absolutely gorgeous!!! Congratulations :love::appl:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!!
Please share the details!!!
More hand shots & profile, too, please!!!! :mrgreen2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results