carat
color
clarity

First Purchase - Unheated Mambilla Sapphire

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
ipodobe|1423057698|3827154 said:
GregS|1423000188|3826826 said:
I think this is worth a look, nice purple Spinel with a very slight blue secondary (if the picture is to be believed). I'd want to see a video of it though, it might fall flat when viewed through the table, it's hard to tell.

http://www.africagems.com/round-purple-spinel-g2k-92595889.html

yhst-71585368631737_2349_2003246556_0.jpg

Thank you! I emailed them and requested a video. :)
Cool! If you think of it post a link of the video here, I'd like to have a look.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Good luck with the spinel!

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
GregS|1423078511|3827341 said:
Cool! If you think of it post a link of the video here, I'd like to have a look.

Yes- but he is at the gem show, so it will be 1-2 weeks before I get a video.

retrogamer|1423095215|3827478 said:

It's beautiful! I only need a stone, and if I bought the ring w/ the stone it would put me over what I wanted to spend (since I already purchased the setting!)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can ask the seller if she is open to selling only the stone.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
That Loupe troop stone (ring) is killer. I remember when she posted it here. Sad that she has to sell it.

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
GregS|1423145673|3827709 said:
That Loupe troop stone (ring) is killer. I remember when she posted it here. Sad that she has to sell it.

Agreed! I like halos, just not for me. :)

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
After sleeping on it a couple days, I decided to take the stone with the ring to a jeweler to find out if it would fit. She believed it would, but is having their bench jeweler look today.

My big concern that I need help with is... she said he may want to add platinum to the prongs to help hold the stone in. This bothered me quite a bit because it is a vintage setting (1920) and seems like it would ruin the piece. She insisted I wouldn't be able to see it, but with a fishtail setting, it seems very iffy to me. I recently moved, so this is a new jeweler to me. They will call me this afternoon and let me know if a) it'll fit and b) if he will want to add platinum to the prongs. Does this sound right, or should I just pick up my stone and ring after work and not let them touch it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It could be that the prongs are worn and have to be rebuilt, which I have done so on 2 vintage settings. It is preferable that prongs are sound (and the stone does not drop out and get lost forever) than worry about the minor touch up to the vintage setting. That said, any such repairs are best done by a bench who is skilled with antique restorations. It is all too easy to mess up the setting.

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1423229000|3828243 said:
It could be that the prongs are worn and have to be rebuilt, which I have done so on 2 vintage settings. It is preferable that prongs are sound (and the stone does not drop out and get lost forever) than worry about the minor touch up to the vintage setting. That said, any such repairs are best done by a bench who is skilled with antique restorations. It is all too easy to mess up the setting.

I don't think they are, but I could be wrong! It appears to be in excellent condition.

Here's pics from the vendor (Love Affair Diamonds) before they removed the diamond for me.

Any advice on finding someone skilled with antique work?

fullsizerender__2_1.jpg

fullsizerender__6_.png

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can we get some better up close shots of the setting and a side view. . . please??? :saint:

That is really beautiful.

Wink Jones sets a lot of stones and I think he is probably capable of restorative work. He does jewelry repairs too. You could ask. He may be able to refer you to someone if he can't do it.

[email protected]
+1 (800) 524-7904Address
Wink CZ • A subdivision of Winfield’s High Performance Diamonds
10400 W. Overland Rd. 299
Boise, Idaho 83709

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
I should have saved the photos from her listing. I can take more pictures of the setting when I get it back tonight.

This is the only other one I have on my phone right now!

fullsizerender__3_2.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that is so beautiful up close.

Perhaps a round would be a better fit. I can see an issue with perhaps setting a cushion, with those prongs. They're really lovely, and one should be careful with how the stone is set.

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
TL|1423236976|3828291 said:
Wow, that is so beautiful up close.

Perhaps a round would be a better fit. I can see an issue with perhaps setting a cushion, with those prongs. They're really lovely, and one should be careful with how the stone is set.

I think you're right... back to the drawing board. It seems I'll have to wait a bit since everyone is at the trade show. :)

Edit: Funny, they just called and said the bench wouldn't feel comfortable with it. Truly not meant to be. I'm hoping Jeff can help me find something else!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just saw this and the setting is beautiful....deserves the time to find the perfect stone for it!

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
lilmosun|1423281788|3828600 said:
I just saw this and the setting is beautiful....deserves the time to find the perfect stone for it!

Thank you! I am shipping the sapphire back today. Bummed it didn't work out, but you're 100% right.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results