shape
carat
color
clarity

First Purchase - Unheated Mambilla Sapphire

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
Just got my first CS in the mail on Friday and am a bit undecided.

First off, not sure if it fits in my setting, so I'm going to need to make my way to the jeweler to find out.

Second... I'm not sure on the color. In person, it is a bit different (which I expected and understand) but is more steel blue. Which means I think it has some grey in it. Still learning, so bear with me! The cut is phenomenal to my untrained eye, and it sparkles like crazy.

Also, just an iPhone picture in the case. Hand photo is from vendor.

Thoughts are appreciated!

img_9018__2_.jpg

sap167hand.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What color metal is your setting? The reason I ask is that a rose gold setting will bring out the blue in the stone, and yellow gold as well, but probably to a lesser extent. White metal will make it look more steely gray. It depends on what look you want if you decide to keep the stone.

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
TL|1422974035|3826511 said:
What color metal is your setting? The reason I ask is that a rose gold setting will bring out the blue in the stone, and yellow gold as well, but probably to a lesser extent. White metal will make it look more steely gray. It depends on what look you want if you decide to keep the stone.

Glad you brought that up...it's platinum. I had the stone delivered at work so I haven't seen the two together. Eek, I'm nervous. I really want to love it. When I opened up the box with the setting (on Saturday) I almost cried because it's so beautiful. Not sure if I should have the same expectation for the stone or not. ;-)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
If the stone doesn't make you feel as good as you do about the setting, consider not keeping it. Early on, I was embarrassed to send stones back -- it's a lesson I wish I'd learned sooner, that they do not grow on you if you don't love them initially. Especially if you have a white metal setting, this sapphire's steely look will predominate. Picture your ideal sapphire blue -- if this one is too far from it, let it go. There will ALWAYS be another that calls your name -- another lesson I DID learn early!

--- Laurie

S

SparkliesLuver

ipodobe said:

Second... I'm not sure on the color. In person, it is a bit different (which I expected and understand) but is more steel blue. Which means I think it has some grey in it. Still learning, so bear with me! The cut is phenomenal to my untrained eye, and it sparkles like crazy.

Congrats on making your first CS purchase! :D :appl:

His work is amazing, so focus on the color (with your setting) - if it doesn't make your heart skip a beat, then I'd consider returning it. You could always ask him if he has anything else, too. Do you like some grey with your blue? Can you see the inclusions? Personally, it's a decent amount to spend on a stone that doesn't totally do it for you. Just know that if it's not the right one, there will be another one - Laurie speaks the truth. ;-)

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm. There is obviously grey in there, which isn't a bad thing if one likes. Ditto to JF's post which I just saw now.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't mind a little grey in gems, as vivid color is too hard and pricey to come by in a natural untreated or minimally treated stone. Then there's some people that love very greyish gems. It depends on the person.

Often metal color can minimize/maximize the effect of grey if someone is on the fence about a gem.

How is the tone of the stone in various lighting? One thing most of us probably don't want is a stone that blacks out under various light sources, no matter the hue/saturation.

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1422978505|3826581 said:
ipodobe said:

Congrats on making your first CS purchase! :D :appl:

His work is amazing, so focus on the color (with your setting) - if it doesn't make your heart skip a beat, then I'd consider returning it. You could always ask him if he has anything else, too. Do you like some grey with your blue? Can you see the inclusions? Personally, it's a decent amount to spend on a stone that doesn't totally do it for you. Just know that if it's not the right one, there will be another one - Laurie speaks the truth. ;-)

Yes, he did an excellent job. And he has been awesome to work with. I would definitely order my next from him...whenever that may be! I can't see any inclusions, but I also don't have a loupe.

Edited...my other post didn't show up. I'm still not 100% sure what color I want. I like blues and purples. I actually don't long for a traditional sapphire blue...so blue-purples, purples etc do it for me.

S

SparkliesLuver

ipodobe said:
Yes, he did an excellent job. And he has been awesome to work with. I would definitely order my next from him...whenever that may be! I can't see any inclusions, but I also don't have a loupe.

Edited...my other post didn't show up. I'm still not 100% sure what color I want. I like blues and purples. I actually don't long for a traditional sapphire blue...so blue-purples, purples etc do it for me.

Good, I'm glad. That's great you can't see the inclusions with your unaided eye.

Understandable. Have you checked out Gary's site, just to see some more color options? He has a nice inventory right now. Anything there strike your fancy, especially with a blue-purple, purple focus?

http://www.finewatergems.com/sapphire.html

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1422980835|3826617 said:
ipodobe said:

Good, I'm glad. That's great you can't see the inclusions with your unaided eye.

Understandable. Have you checked out Gary's site, just to see some more color options? He has a nice inventory right now. Anything there strike your fancy, especially with a blue-purple, purple focus?

http://www.finewatergems.com/sapphire.html

Yes I've been checking his website, too. I need a round or cushion cut, and he tends to have more oval cuts. So typically I don't see anything that would work for my setting.

I'm in no rush but it's hard when I have the setting in hand and am dying to wear it. Ha!

S

SparkliesLuver

ipodobe said:
Yes I've been checking his website, too. I need a round or cushion cut, and he tends to have more oval cuts. So typically I don't see anything that would work for my setting.

I'm in no rush but it's hard when I have the setting in hand and am dying to wear it. Ha!

I guess I meant in terms of color, since you're not sure about the one you currently have. :) And it might help us look for something else...if you decide to return it.

Totally understand!

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1422988007|3826711 said:
ipodobe said:

I guess I meant in terms of color, since you're not sure about the one you currently have. :) And it might help us look for something else...if you decide to return it.

Totally understand!

Ohhh ok, got it.

Here are some blue-purple color inspiration photos, as I shift away from the regular blues. :) I really appreciate the help!!

1330528.jpg

ps1054.jpg

1978658_712774185508565_435467781229119300_0.jpg

ps06053.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

ipodobe said:
Ohhh ok, got it.

Here are some blue-purple color inspiration photos, as I shift away from the regular blues. :) I really appreciate the help!!

This is just my opinion, so do with it what you want, but based upon these I'd say it might be best to return the one you have in-hand. It doesn't seem like your heart loves the steely blues.

Thanks for the pictures. I'll keep an eye out. :)

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1422990799|3826740 said:
ipodobe said:
Ohhh ok, got it.

This is just my opinion, so do with it what you want, but based upon these I'd say it might be best to return the one you have in-hand. It doesn't seem like your heart loves the steely blues.

Thanks for the pictures. I'll keep an eye out. :)

I'm going to see how they look together tonight, but I think you're right! Thanks again.

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
LoversKites|1422992016|3826753 said:

Yes, I love tanzanite's color but decided against it due to not being able to wear it daily. :(

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
If there's any doubt then this stone isn't for you. FWIW I think your picture of the stone looks better, the stone looks very gray in the vendors picture.

What dimensions are you looking for in a round and a cushion?

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
GregS|1422996605|3826800 said:
If there's any doubt then this stone isn't for you. FWIW I think your picture of the stone looks better, the stone looks very gray in the vendors picture.

What dimensions are you looking for in a round and a cushion?

Yes, it is exactly the same color as the jeans I'm wearing today. :)

Around 6.5mm.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If those are your inspiration photos, then you're probably not in love with the current stone, as it is much less saturated than those others.

I would return it, and try to get something you love. I've had settings sit around for years in order to find the perfect stone. Often times, I'll buy the stone I love first, then the setting, as it's much easier to find a setting than the stone.

BTW, if your stone fits a cushion, it may also fit a round shape, just one mm larger than the cushion size it was meant for. So for example, a 9x9mm cushion setting will fit a 10mm round. That might open more choices for you. Is there a photo of the setting?

Good luck with your decision.

S

SparkliesLuver

What a stone, GregS! Nice recommendation.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks so different from your inspiration pictures; as JF said, if it doesn't make your heart sing like the way you first saw your setting, then please return the stone. Don't feel bad about it either. You have to love the stone just as much too.

Greg,
I was eyeing that same spinel...if only it were a different shape and size. ;))

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
GregS|1423000188|3826826 said:
I think this is worth a look, nice purple Spinel with a very slight blue secondary (if the picture is to be believed). I'd want to see a video of it though, it might fall flat when viewed through the table, it's hard to tell.

http://www.africagems.com/round-purple-spinel-g2k-92595889.html

yhst-71585368631737_2349_2003246556_0.jpg

Beautiful... are they a good vendor? I did see them on the vendor list. But I do like more local/small time cutters.

Chrono|1423054661|3827124 said:
It looks so different from your inspiration pictures; as JF said, if it doesn't make your heart sing like the way you first saw your setting, then please return the stone. Don't feel bad about it either. You have to love the stone just as much too.

Greg,
I was eyeing that same spinel...if only it were a different shape and size. ;))

Yes I know it's different than the inspiration photos... I did not expect it to look like one of those. Just want to be clear!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Africagems is a very reputable dealer who stands behind their merchandise. They're a little on the pricey side, but I think that's a fair price for that stone.

I have one very close to that size, shape and color, just to give you an idea of what it might look like in person.

tllavenderspinelround.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AG is expensive but they run 25% sales regularly which makes their items more reasonable. AG's return/refund policy is also very fair and hassle-free. The main advantage AG has over small scale independent lapidaries is the breath and depth of their gem inventory.

Some vendors are well known for accurate pictures and some are well known for being WAY off base. I know that good gem photography takes time and skill, which many vendors do not have the time to perfect, hence the reason why many here strongly stress the return/refund policy. As another PS poster has as her tagline, when in doubt, don't.

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
Here it is gently placed in the setting...

img_6873.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ipodobe|1423056434|3827143 said:

I have a setting almost identical to that, waiting for the right gem, like you! LOL! Mine was made for a round, that's the only differnce. I love those butterfly style settings, and have a few of them, including the one I posted above with the spinel.

It's hard to tell how it looks in there based on the shadow the stone is getting, but I would imagine white metal doesn't do as much for bringing out the saturation of the stone, although it does fit well. However, the important thing is, "Does the stone do anything for YOU in that setting?" What do YOU think????

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
TL|1423056781|3827145 said:

I have a setting almost identical to that, waiting for the right gem, like you! LOL! I love those butterfly style settings, and have a few of them, including the one I posted above with the spinel.

It's hard to tell how it looks in there based on the shadow the stone is getting, but I would imagine white metal doesn't do as much for bringing out the saturation of the stone, although it does fit well. However, the important thing is, "Does the stone do anything for YOU in that setting?" What do YOU think????

Your purple spinel is beautiful! Wow!

I do like it more in the setting. It's understated and not "in your face" which matches my jewelry style.

I'm going to sleep on it another day...but as everyone keeps saying if I'm doubting it, I should send it back. Sigh.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ipodobe|1423057099|3827147 said:

I have a setting almost identical to that, waiting for the right gem, like you! LOL! I love those butterfly style settings, and have a few of them, including the one I posted above with the spinel.

I do like it more in the setting. It's understated and not "in your face" which matches my jewelry style.

I'm going to sleep on it another day...but as everyone keeps saying if I'm doubting it, I should send it back. Sigh.

Thank you.

Good luck with your decision. I love that setting btw, for obvious reasons. :naughty:

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
TL|1423057344|3827151 said:
ipodobe|1423057099|3827147 said:

Thank you.

Good luck with your decision. I love that setting btw, for obvious reasons. :naughty:

Me too. As much of a "pain" as it will be to find the right sized stone, I don't care. I almost cried when I received it in the mail because it is so stunning in person. Erica @ Love Affair Diamonds removed the diamond from it and sold me just the setting. Thrilled!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results