shape
carat
color
clarity

first impression on the 2.5K

fofolala

Rough_Rock
So, I received it this morning. I was trying to hide it from my girlfriend who had the day off, so I had to distract her, sign for it, then run upstairs to the bathroom to open the package. So, here I am looking at a James Allen box in the bathroom in my underwear... I closed the toilet to make sure I didn't literally flush 12,000 dollars down the drain. It was a real pretty sight!

Anyway, my first impression under halogen light in the bathroom was: spectacular! I then brought it out to the window, still fantastic! It had wonderful fire and brilliance and damn 2.5ct is big!
I literally got 45 seconds to look at it before putting it away and hiding it and rushing off to work, but I'm really excited by my first impression. I didn't appreciate any cloudiness or milkiness, but I'll get a better sense tomorrow when I compare it against some other stones.

Here's to taking the risky road!
-fofolala

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are hysterical. I'm happy to hear that it passed your first impression test in the bathroom. Not quite sure I needed the exact visual of what you were wearing, but I appreciate your enthusiasm, LOL.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so I agree to JDDN.

First comment: THANK GOODNESS you closed the toilet. I can TOTALLY imagine it getting flushed. That's something I would do.

Second comment. Take it to your local hearts on fire dealer-- call them and tell them you want to see I and J colored stones (preferrably over 1.5 carats) before hand so they are prepared. And then take it in. DO NOT tell them that your stone is a K. Or what the clarity is. Tell them you have a 25k budget so they take you seriously.

Just compare it next to other stones.

And see what you think. With diamonds seeing them standalone, for newbies, is not very helpful. You need the comparison stones.

fofolala

Rough_Rock
Yup. plan is to look at H/I/J/K/Ls tomorrow. I'll be back tomorrow with photos and more reports!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you first impression was good and you made sure to keep it safe from the toilet. I doubt many people can say they say the ring they just bought for the first time in their underwear. :lol:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will agree that well cut stones are beautiful in all colors, but you sacrifice some brightness the lower you go in color. I would not go below J for an engagement ring in a modern round brilliant, because people will notice that it is tinted. I guess if you are setting in yellow gold you might be able to get away with it. But I'd far rather have a 2.1 ct I-J.

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Photos to share?

fofolala

Rough_Rock
Sorry, no photos. It is already back at fedex being shipped to James Allen. Noticeably milky in comparison to others. Oh well!

I did learn a lot though: I'm totally K-color tolerant, for one. A much longer email to come as I further reflect!

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
Saw this thread too late to advise you to be very careful not to touch the diamond with your fingers (wear gloves if necessary), or you might give it a significant handicap in the side-by-side comparison. I can only hope that the milkiness you noticed was not simply due to finger grease... :(

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wish I could say I am surprised. I am sorry it didn't work out.

For me with SI clarity that is based on clouds or wisps I would want a vendor who is not a drop shipper to evaluate stones for me. That's why with stones with risk of transparency issues, milky or haziness, or odd tint or fluorescence issues you will see me recommend a call to IDJ and Yekutiel so he can call about the stone and screen it.

The I in your other thread has the same risk. So I would recommend caliing IDJ about that one.

Unicorns happen but they are rare.

fofolala

Rough_Rock
IDJ already confirmed that the I is milky. So back to the drawing board :)

It wasnt finger grease. It was as if the stone had grease on it that you just couldn't wipe away. very frustrating when seen next to some really nice performers.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah.

Okay. So you raised the budget. What is your REAL budget for the stone (not the setting so reserve 3-6k for that).

And you want a round for sure?

fofolala

Rough_Rock
Gypsy,

I'm not sure what exactly motivates you, but you're awesome. Thanks for taking the time and putting so much energy in. Your expertise and advise (and everyone else's!) is invaluable.
I found a K that I really liked in person in the LAJD.

SI2 but eye clean and not milky
Ex/ex/ex

Cert
http://diammo.com/images/certs/GIA-6127327054.jpg

Yes, the HCA came out to 2.3, probably because the pav angle is a touch steep.
57 table
61.5 depth
35 crown
41 pavilion (yes, just a TOUCH steep)

I enjoyed looking at it more than any other stone i've seen in person (approx 10-15 stones over 4 sessions so far, so about 50 in total).
And its cost 11,1000 -- 950 dollars less than the JA. In other words, its 93% of the face-up size and 90% of the weight for 91% the price. Overall, a better stone at a better price.

I'm sleeping on it tonight, but the stone is safe and ready, as is a plan for the setting. Any objections?

As a TOTAL aside and a hypothetical question: if I were to want to get this stone into the prescribed parameters, it could get recut to reduce its pavilion angle by a 0.2 degrees, right?. This would also shorten the depth, but by how much? How much weight is typically lost doing this? (For the record - I have NO interest in doing this, as I love the stone. But it crossed my mind). How much does a recut like this tend to cost?

THANKS all!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're near El Segundo - I'd suggest you do yourself a favor and check out a CBI diamond or two before committing to a specific diamond.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you liked it in side be side comparisons then its already got an edge. Can you buy an idealscope?

A 2.3 isn't a flat no. Especially with GIA rounding. If you can get an idealscope then you can check it out yourself.

What's the return policy on it?

I agree with VR regarding CBI.

Oh and you are very welcome. :wavey:

No on the recut. Not worth it.

fofolala

Rough_Rock
Buy the actual idealscope scope? Or an image? I suppose I could buy a scope, but I'm not sure I want to! I wouldn't trustmyself to understand what I'm seeing any more than what I see in plain natural light.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seriously, you are a smart dude. It will take you exactly 5 minutes to figure it out. I promise. Costs 25 bucks plus shipping.

You can also see if appraisers local to you have one. But apprasal will cost over 100 bucks usually.

fofolala

Rough_Rock
Ok ok!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1466055758|4044686 said:
You're near El Segundo - I'd suggest you do yourself a favor and check out a CBI diamond or two before committing to a specific diamond.

Definitely do this!! If you're near enough to visit, you'd be mad not to.

fofolala

Rough_Rock
Ok, i'll go there. but, based on their prices online, the high performance diamonds/CBI have the same problem i see as BGD and ACA diamonds - big cost premium for brand.

Where does one buy an idealscope? from ideal-scope.com, its like 80 bucks and comes from Australia, which will simply take too long.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
fofolala|1466088767|4044757 said:
Ok, i'll go there. but, based on their prices online, the high performance diamonds/CBI have the same problem i see as BGD and ACA diamonds - big cost premium for brand.

Where does one buy an idealscope? from ideal-scope.com, its like 80 bucks and comes from Australia, which will simply take too long.
You can try David Atlas's web store:
http://datlas.com/ideal-scope-store/

He has different options at various price points, the most economical being $25.

fofolala

Rough_Rock
Thanks!

fofolala

Rough_Rock
So, I went to see the CBI stones.

the CBI stones are beautiful. I saw a 1.62 J VS2 which was somewhere around 12,300 in price. Very nice stone. This stone, actually:
http://highperformancediamonds.com/shop/j/HPD7677/?shop=yes
The 2.25K I saw was as much fun to look at, 1300 dollars cheaper, one color lower grade, still eye clean, and bigger.
This was a very nice exercise in comparison. I think it further adds to my feeling that the 2.25K is the right choice.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What setting does your GF want? Metal preference?

fofolala

Rough_Rock
not yellow (doesnt care what material), single row simple pave. no cathedral. thin band.
i think i'll get it in unplated white gold. I really like the look. (edit: and i can always get the plating later if we dont like the unplated look)

i'm leaning towards something like this: danhov.com/eleganza-744/ze138 . I've posted it in the past

edit #2: speh-ling

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, now I remember. That's a nice setting. Just remember she'll need to wear a spacer band if she wants to wear a wedding band with that ring.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah. I remember that setting too.

Okay well, if you both love it, then you'll be very happy with it.

fofolala

Rough_Rock
Gypsy said:
Okay well, if you both love it, then you'll be very happy with it.

dang. That sounds so... dejected.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That shank is just so thin! If they could bulk it up to 2mm. It's a big rock on a tiny shank. Asking for trouble and spinning Can you go and see it in person once you have the rock?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results