shape
carat
color
clarity

First Ever Diamond Purchase - DBTY Necklace

ladyroadwarrior

Rough_Rock
Hello PriceScope community!
I've been a frequent lurker reading about diamonds and viewing all of your beautiful pieces for some time now. I'm a 26 year old virgin - a diamond virgin that is, and I'm ready to take the plunge. :naughty:

I have been thinking about buying myself a DBTY necklace - something that I can wear nearly everyday that would look nice at my dressed up professional job and in jeans & sweaters on the weekends.

I have seen some of the ready made DBTY items at WF and BGD (see, I know some of the acronyms already!) that look nice, but I am wondering if I can/should customize or just buy one of the pre-set types. From what I see, most are standard 16'' but I'd probably prefer 17'' or 18''. I'm willing to spend perhaps $1200 or so for something that is simple but sparkly.

What suggestions do you seasoned pro's have on how to begin my first-ever-diamond-purchase?

Thanks,
LadyRoadWarrior

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
have you thought about a pendant? I feel like for your budget you could get a really nice pendant and it might have a little more *zing* for your first purchase. Also, you could theoretically upgrade the diamond or make it an earring (buying a pair) down the road if you wanted. Just seems a better use of your budget to me... unless you hate the look.

ladyroadwarrior

Rough_Rock
A pendant? Maybe?

I was under the impression that I might be maximizing my budget by doing multiple smaller sparkles. Have anything in mind?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess it depends what you think "maximizing your budget" means ;)) To me, one larger stone is more impressive than many small ones, and especially so in this context. And as I said, there is greater long term flexibility with a single diamond than with a necklace like you describe, which can only be what it is and cannot be reset into earrings, or a ring, or whatever down the road. So as an "investment" (i.e., long term flexibility and enjoyment) I like a single larger stone.

For example:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104051391021
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5422

BoulderGal

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1306727085|2933497 said:
I guess it depends what you think "maximizing your budget" means ;)) To me, one larger stone is more impressive than many small ones, and especially so in this context. And as I said, there is greater long term flexibility with a single diamond than with a necklace like you describe, which can only be what it is and cannot be reset into earrings, or a ring, or whatever down the road. So as an "investment" (i.e., long term flexibility and enjoyment) I like a single larger stone.

For example:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104051391021
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5422

Ooooo....that would make a stunning pendant! :appl: I tend to agree with Dreamer about the versatility of a pendant like the one above. Although I must say I don't have a diamond pendant yet, I'm saving my pennies for a bezel solitaire.

Good luck deciding!

BoulderGal

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with DD...if you dont have a diamond pendant yet that would be my recommendation. They are very versatile
and a staple for a professional girl.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Dreamer, too! You can either later upgrade the stone to a larger pendant with one of the handmade settings or you can get a match to make a pair of studs. It's always wise to buy high quality diamonds that can be upgraded later!

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto to dreamer. That stone is very pretty and would give great presence as a pendant. Ihave worn a bezeled diamond pendant of one ct weight or another since I was 16,many years ago!! The first was a .20 then a.30 pt now my .62 ,BGD in the Barbara. I find i wear it almost daily and it goes with everything.my chain is 20 inch andI find it pertect for all necklines.

Sparkly_Not_Gaudy

Rough_Rock
DBTY means what?
Learning the lingo here. :)

ladyroadwarrior

Rough_Rock
Ladies -- thanks for your input. Perhaps a pendant would be a good choice, and I certainly understand what you're saying about buying a quality stone now that could potentially be upgraded or matched for studs etc in the future. I was originally thinking that a DBTY necklace might be a pretty complement to my every day jewelry wardrobe: polished Movado bracelet watch, funky crossover David Yurman right hand ring, and a sterling bracelet that was a gift from my dad many years ago.

If I were to purchase a stone for a simple pendant with a (revised!) total budget of about $2,000, how would you go about searching and making this beginner project happen?

For reference: I will have some time to decide and/or search as this item will be a present to myself in the late summer. I am expecting a very significant promotion & raise at work and want a treat!
[before I get anyone counseling financial responsibility - I am debt free, was homeowner at 23, and have a healthy savings in place]

Sparkly_Not_Gaudy:
Diamonds By The Yard -- like this: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5706

Thanks all (and omg this is fun!),
LadyRoadWarrior

ladyroadwarrior

Rough_Rock
Also, does anyone know how to edit my topic title to show pendant vs DBTY?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
ladyroadwarrior|1306768875|2933692 said:
Also, does anyone know how to edit my topic title to show pendant vs DBTY?

You can start a new thread asking opinions about the two options.

If you do not plan to buy now, then wait and come back when you are ready to buy. Diamond inventories change a lot and selecting something now is futule. My advice would be to decide a budget, then select some online vendors with policies you like (do you want to upgrade?), let us help you find a stone, and then select a setting! But none of that can really be done until you are totally ready to buy. With a $2000 budget you can get a larger stone than the one I suggested. Maybe closer to .70ct in a J color SI. I suggested a J color stone because it optimized ct weight and because, in my opinion, for a bezel set pendant J color is *totally* white enough. But you could also use your budget to go up a little in color, perhaps to H color or I, but it would limit your size.

An example with a bigger budget: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2618024.htm

Note: diamond prices *will* go up in the next few months, vendors have been warning PSers when we speak to them in person to expect increases later in the summer. can't say what %, but based on past months, I would wager 10% or more. Food for thought.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go with WhiteFlash or Brian Gavin because they do upgrades and they are by far the easiest to match a second stone in the event you ever want to make it into a pair of studs instead. There are settings I like better than the stock bezel slider, but you have to weigh out whether you think you'd ever upgrade the stone or not. I wouldn't spend a lot on a setting if you think you might change it later. I think the plain four corners setting is fine, too, if you don't want the bezel.

The stone Dreamer linked is a great choice! Making the budget $2000 will help a lot with the diamond size. I like dby pieces as well, but if I were you, I'd work on staple pieces such as studs and solitaire pendant first. You can always get a dby necklace later to wear with the pendant.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
Just thought I'd chime in. I have had diamond earrings and a pendant for years now (present from Mom) but recently bought myself a pair of diamond studs. I went through ID Jewelry because of their upgrade policy. Their website isn't great, but they are a ton of help over the phone. I couldn't be happier with the service I received.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wildcat03|1306784661|2933862 said:
Just thought I'd chime in. I have had diamond earrings and a pendant for years now (present from Mom) but recently bought myself a pair of diamond studs. I went through ID Jewelry because of their upgrade policy. Their website isn't great, but they are a ton of help over the phone. I couldn't be happier with the service I received.

Hey...what is their upgrade policy?

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
When I bought my studs I was told it is 100% of the purchase price toward your new purchase. I forget the specifics (whether you have to upgrade in one or two categories - ctw, color, clarity, etc.). I was impressed by their BBB rating (A+) and all the positive reviews I read.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results