shape
carat
color
clarity

First Ever Diamond Purchase - DBTY Necklace

ladyroadwarrior

Rough_Rock
Hello PriceScope community!
I've been a frequent lurker reading about diamonds and viewing all of your beautiful pieces for some time now. I'm a 26 year old virgin - a diamond virgin that is, and I'm ready to take the plunge. :naughty:

I have been thinking about buying myself a DBTY necklace - something that I can wear nearly everyday that would look nice at my dressed up professional job and in jeans & sweaters on the weekends.

I have seen some of the ready made DBTY items at WF and BGD (see, I know some of the acronyms already!) that look nice, but I am wondering if I can/should customize or just buy one of the pre-set types. From what I see, most are standard 16'' but I'd probably prefer 17'' or 18''. I'm willing to spend perhaps $1200 or so for something that is simple but sparkly.

What suggestions do you seasoned pro's have on how to begin my first-ever-diamond-purchase?

Thanks,
LadyRoadWarrior

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
have you thought about a pendant? I feel like for your budget you could get a really nice pendant and it might have a little more *zing* for your first purchase. Also, you could theoretically upgrade the diamond or make it an earring (buying a pair) down the road if you wanted. Just seems a better use of your budget to me... unless you hate the look.

ladyroadwarrior

Rough_Rock
A pendant? Maybe?

I was under the impression that I might be maximizing my budget by doing multiple smaller sparkles. Have anything in mind?

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess it depends what you think "maximizing your budget" means ;)) To me, one larger stone is more impressive than many small ones, and especially so in this context. And as I said, there is greater long term flexibility with a single diamond than with a necklace like you describe, which can only be what it is and cannot be reset into earrings, or a ring, or whatever down the road. So as an "investment" (i.e., long term flexibility and enjoyment) I like a single larger stone.

For example:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104051391021
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5422

BoulderGal

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer_D|1306727085|2933497 said:
I guess it depends what you think "maximizing your budget" means ;)) To me, one larger stone is more impressive than many small ones, and especially so in this context. And as I said, there is greater long term flexibility with a single diamond than with a necklace like you describe, which can only be what it is and cannot be reset into earrings, or a ring, or whatever down the road. So as an "investment" (i.e., long term flexibility and enjoyment) I like a single larger stone.

For example:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104051391021
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5422

Ooooo....that would make a stunning pendant! :appl: I tend to agree with Dreamer about the versatility of a pendant like the one above. Although I must say I don't have a diamond pendant yet, I'm saving my pennies for a bezel solitaire.

Good luck deciding!

BoulderGal

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with DD...if you dont have a diamond pendant yet that would be my recommendation. They are very versatile
and a staple for a professional girl.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Dreamer, too! You can either later upgrade the stone to a larger pendant with one of the handmade settings or you can get a match to make a pair of studs. It's always wise to buy high quality diamonds that can be upgraded later!

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto to dreamer. That stone is very pretty and would give great presence as a pendant. Ihave worn a bezeled diamond pendant of one ct weight or another since I was 16,many years ago!! The first was a .20 then a.30 pt now my .62 ,BGD in the Barbara. I find i wear it almost daily and it goes with everything.my chain is 20 inch andI find it pertect for all necklines.

ladyroadwarrior

Rough_Rock
Ladies -- thanks for your input. Perhaps a pendant would be a good choice, and I certainly understand what you're saying about buying a quality stone now that could potentially be upgraded or matched for studs etc in the future. I was originally thinking that a DBTY necklace might be a pretty complement to my every day jewelry wardrobe: polished Movado bracelet watch, funky crossover David Yurman right hand ring, and a sterling bracelet that was a gift from my dad many years ago.

If I were to purchase a stone for a simple pendant with a (revised!) total budget of about $2,000, how would you go about searching and making this beginner project happen?

For reference: I will have some time to decide and/or search as this item will be a present to myself in the late summer. I am expecting a very significant promotion & raise at work and want a treat!
[before I get anyone counseling financial responsibility - I am debt free, was homeowner at 23, and have a healthy savings in place]

Sparkly_Not_Gaudy:
Diamonds By The Yard -- like this: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5706

Thanks all (and omg this is fun!),
LadyRoadWarrior

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ladyroadwarrior|1306768875|2933692 said:
Also, does anyone know how to edit my topic title to show pendant vs DBTY?
You can start a new thread asking opinions about the two options.

If you do not plan to buy now, then wait and come back when you are ready to buy. Diamond inventories change a lot and selecting something now is futule. My advice would be to decide a budget, then select some online vendors with policies you like (do you want to upgrade?), let us help you find a stone, and then select a setting! But none of that can really be done until you are totally ready to buy. With a $2000 budget you can get a larger stone than the one I suggested. Maybe closer to .70ct in a J color SI. I suggested a J color stone because it optimized ct weight and because, in my opinion, for a bezel set pendant J color is *totally* white enough. But you could also use your budget to go up a little in color, perhaps to H color or I, but it would limit your size.

An example with a bigger budget: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2618024.htm

Note: diamond prices *will* go up in the next few months, vendors have been warning PSers when we speak to them in person to expect increases later in the summer. can't say what %, but based on past months, I would wager 10% or more. Food for thought.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go with WhiteFlash or Brian Gavin because they do upgrades and they are by far the easiest to match a second stone in the event you ever want to make it into a pair of studs instead. There are settings I like better than the stock bezel slider, but you have to weigh out whether you think you'd ever upgrade the stone or not. I wouldn't spend a lot on a setting if you think you might change it later. I think the plain four corners setting is fine, too, if you don't want the bezel.

The stone Dreamer linked is a great choice! Making the budget $2000 will help a lot with the diamond size. I like dby pieces as well, but if I were you, I'd work on staple pieces such as studs and solitaire pendant first. You can always get a dby necklace later to wear with the pendant.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
Just thought I'd chime in. I have had diamond earrings and a pendant for years now (present from Mom) but recently bought myself a pair of diamond studs. I went through ID Jewelry because of their upgrade policy. Their website isn't great, but they are a ton of help over the phone. I couldn't be happier with the service I received.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wildcat03|1306784661|2933862 said:
Just thought I'd chime in. I have had diamond earrings and a pendant for years now (present from Mom) but recently bought myself a pair of diamond studs. I went through ID Jewelry because of their upgrade policy. Their website isn't great, but they are a ton of help over the phone. I couldn't be happier with the service I received.
Hey...what is their upgrade policy?

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
When I bought my studs I was told it is 100% of the purchase price toward your new purchase. I forget the specifics (whether you have to upgrade in one or two categories - ctw, color, clarity, etc.). I was impressed by their BBB rating (A+) and all the positive reviews I read.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Archduchess Eleonore von Habsburg and Jérôme d’Ambrosio Royal Wedding
    Archduchess Eleonore von Habsburg and Jérôme d’Ambrosio Royal Wedding

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.