shape
carat
color
clarity

first e-ring purchase advice please!

uiriamu

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

I'm educating myself as much as possible thanks to everyone at Pricescope. About a week ago, I went into a B&M store locally (a step up from Kay's etc) and put a deposit down on a round 1.00ct EGL-international certified D Si1 XXX H&A for $6145 plus tax ($6620). A simple presentation setting is included free, which sounded good since ...

I'm planning to get my gf a very simple setting: 4 Prong tiffany style Solitaire Engagement Ring in 14k yellow gold, like this setting from Whiteflash at ~$350: http://www.whiteflash.com/engagemen...ffany-style-solitaire-engagement-ring-588.htm She likes Me&Ro jewelry: all in gold, all simple and elegant, and she already has a fun-style fashion ring from me that is rose-cut with bezel settings http://www.meandrojewelry.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=74&PID=2&page=1 but I thought I'd go for a classic e-ring instead of trying to do a bigger Me&Ro style ring.

I know now that that the B&M diamond is probably not such a good deal.

I don't know if this is right, but I'm looking to prioritize 1) cut, 2) color then 3) clarity while sticking around the $6500 total budget or lower.

I'm looking at this ring from Good Old Gold (on reserve) : 0.9ct E SI1 Round Premium Ideal Cut Diamond at $5550 http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8181/ Sarah at GOG says its eye clean from 3 inches with the primary inclusions away from the center. The girdle has a spot that differs slightly in thickness which is why it gets a slightly lower mark (1 vs 0) and a proportion deduction from AGS. Overall, it's a 0 Ideal.

A comparable setting from GOG would run about $4-500, it seems.

I'm wondering if the knowledgeable folk here could advise me whether this would be a good deal. One thing I'm wondering about is how important it is to reach the 1 carat mark. My gf is a size 4, so my thinking was that a .9 might still seem sizeable. I don't know whether the difference between a .90 and a 1.00 are noticeable, though it might be nice for her to be able to say or just know that it's a full carat.

Let me know your thoughts if you have any. I appreciate the guidance and advice! Just really really excited to pop the question and get her something that I know is nice and special that she can be proud of forever.

Will

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks good.

A well cut 1 carat is about 6.5mm.

OCmom3xboys

Shiny_Rock

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
that's way too much for a EGL diamond. yesterday I was at this appraiser's place get my mom's ring checked. they had a EGL 1.00ct D SI1, 3 EX, eye clean and looks beautiful only priced for $4900.

uiriamu

Rough_Rock
OCmom3xboys|1303528221|2903150 said:
Is your deposit refundable?

Just this morning, this guy bought a ring from RB, discovered PS after the fact, he returned the ring, started all over again = he ended up with a fabulous WF ring with an incredibly beautiful stone (I'm not saying your stone is not good).

Below is his thread:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/did-i-pay-too-much-at-robins-brothers.159763/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/did-i-pay-too-much-at-robins-brothers.159763/[/URL]
Thanks for the replies! Yes, the B&M deposit is fully refundable, so I'm not locked into anything at all. I do plan to start over completely, and the GOG diamond is what I'm thinking of turning toward. Trying to figure out if the GOG is closer to "incredibly beautiful"!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the GOG stone looks like a great choice unless you think it best to find a 1 ct. I do think the size would look find on her little fingers, though. Does she have sisters or friends who have engagement rings yet, and if so, do you know what sizes their diamonds are?

uiriamu

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1303530825|2903164 said:
I think the GOG stone looks like a great choice unless you think it best to find a 1 ct. I do think the size would look find on her little fingers, though. Does she have sisters or friends who have engagement rings yet, and if so, do you know what sizes their diamonds are?
Thanks. She really does have slender fingers. Looks like the poster from the other thread got a 1.062 ct H VS2 Premium Select Round Cut Loose Diamond from Whiteflash for around $6000, which would be another way to go: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2275619.htm

uiriamu

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1303532983|2903192 said:
That's really nice too! Does that seem like a cleaner diamond? I'm just noticing how the head-on photo seems a bit brighter than the one I have on reserve, and some of the filtered photos are crisper/have less green. Both seem to be excellent cuts, although GOG's detailed AGS report is only estimated right now. The one you've pointed out is still just a hair below a carat, and I'm guessing that to get over a carat is to add an extra thousand or two beyond the proportional weight increase.

There's also a new Gemex Light Performance Report for the one I put on reserve with very highs for all categories, and a fire score that seems maxed out, for what it's worth.

The B&M salesperson suggested that all things considered, stones weighing over a carat will hold their value better. Any truth to this?

And... I just realized I put "First E-ring" in the thread title. Hopefully it's also the ONLY e-ring!

Thanks!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
that Me&Ro ring is beautiful :)

if you think she would like a bezel setting better that is an option too?

both of those diamonds look nice, maybe ask GOG their opinion?

uiriamu

Rough_Rock
Thanks! There's an antique quality to the Me&Ro stuff that she likes, so there is a part of me that wonders if she'd prefer a bezel setting ultimately, but that would really change the whole process! My thought was that I could get keep getting her Me&Ro for fun, but it might be nice to have a traditional engagement ring too.

Luminous-MB

Rough_Rock
Trade
uiriamu|1303588397|2903517 said:
The B&M salesperson suggested that all things considered, stones weighing over a carat will hold their value better. Any truth to this?

And... I just realized I put "First E-ring" in the thread title. Hopefully it's also the ONLY e-ring!

To a certain extent it's true. There's a premium once you hit the 1.00ct mark and it is simply a very desirable carat weight.

And... Not to worry!! We are positive this will be the one and only!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think the investment value of a 1 ct. is relevant for an engagement ring since no one buys one with the thought of ever selling it! I think a .96 is a bargain because it can be called a carat (rounded), but you aren't paying for the price jump at 1.0.

uiriamu

Rough_Rock
How would the .9 E Si1 at 5550 compare to this 1.01 I Si1 at 6200?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8259/

Assuming that the I is eye clean, is an E going to be overkill, especially in a yellow gold setting?

Gibson486

Rough_Rock
A .9 E SI1 actually sounds like a good deal....

uiriamu

Rough_Rock
I'm going with the .9 E Si1!

As for settings, looks like GOG is going to set me up with this setting for $300: http://www.uniquesettings.com/products/show/2097?from_style=1 It will be a 14k yellow gold shank with 6 white gold prongs. I was thinking that the lower profile might appeal to my gf, since she likes simple unobtrusive settings (like the bezel setting in the Me and Ro ring above)

Any thoughts about the setting? This will be a (relative) surprise without her direct input, so I wanted something simple, low profile and in gold, which I know she likes, and not too expensive so we can change settings if that suits her.

I just want to make sure that it doesn't seem overly cheap and is decently made. One of my thoughts was that I liked the aesthetics of the prongs (more curvy U's rather than straight claws).

Thanks for everyone's advice so far! I appreciate it!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I actually kind of like how the head is sunken into the band.

uiriamu

Rough_Rock
MissGotRocks|1303860967|2905740 said:
In all honesty, I prefer this type of six prong mounting and at WF it is $175 more than the GOG mounting. More graceful and not so boxy. . .

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/6-prong-tiffany-style-solitaire-engagement-ring-584.htm

What do you think? You can ask that it be set lower in the prongs if that's what you'd like.
Yes, that was definitely an option that GOG offered as well, for $450. It looks far more elegant as presented on the Whiteflash website, and I like how you can see how the yellow gold and the white gold will work together. Something about the angularity of the prongs really bugged me about that setting, even though I know it's the classic.

My question is whether she'll appreciate the lower profile of the one I selected, which will hopefully still have a classic feel. Or will it seem just runty and nubby?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
uiriamu|1303862868|2905771 said:
MissGotRocks|1303860967|2905740 said:
In all honesty, I prefer this type of six prong mounting and at WF it is $175 more than the GOG mounting. More graceful and not so boxy. . .

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/6-prong-tiffany-style-solitaire-engagement-ring-584.htm

What do you think? You can ask that it be set lower in the prongs if that's what you'd like.
Yes, that was definitely an option that GOG offered as well, for $450. It looks far more elegant as presented on the Whiteflash website, and I like how you can see how the yellow gold and the white gold will work together. Something about the angularity of the prongs really bugged me about that setting, even though I know it's the classic.

My question is whether she'll appreciate the lower profile of the one I selected, which will hopefully still have a classic feel. Or will it seem just runty and nubby?

LOL at your descriptive words! My guess is that she will be thrilled to have the ring and won't be critical of it one way or another.

I too like the way the head is sort of sunken but the prongs are very vertical. Perhaps in real life they have a bit more flair to them.

I'm sure GOG is more familiar with the setting since they sell it - ask Sarah at GOG her opinion. I'm sure she'll be candid with you.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I do like the WF ring posted above, I am thinking you are probably right on the money with your Unique Setting pick from GOG - the pic you linked to of the Me+Ro bezel ring you gave her and that she loves makes me inclined to believe she would probably prefer the lower profile of the GOG ring. To my eyes, it is a beautifully proportioned ring in a classic timeless design.

My only thought is, have you figured out wedding bands yet? I don't think a wedding band would sit flush against the Unique Setting ring (or, for that matter, the WF ring) - and while I myself think non-flush wedding bands look elegant and lovely, you and/or your WF may prefer the two rings sit flush...

uiriamu

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback!

I see what you mean MissGotRocks about the verticality of the unique settings ring: I wonder if it might create an optical illusion of making the diamond seem smaller or boxier. There's also the question about just how thick those prongs are.

The blooming out of the WF ring (and Tiffany-style rings in general) does seem nice, but it also seems a bit less understated, a bit more "out there to see" and maybe also more likely to get banged up.

Thanks too for the advice about the wedding bands marymm. My guess is that she is not interested in closely matching the wedding band to the e-ring. I think she likes to have an eclectic collection of jewelry but have them all be broadly related: all yellow gold, simple pieces.

The advice is way appreciated!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does GOG have any real life photos of the Unique setting that they have made/sold before?

I ask because you cannot judge the quality of the unique settings from the photos on their site. I have a setting from them and it is much lovelier than the image on their site. All their drawings look boxy and crummy to my eye.

I think the unique ring, once finished by GOG's jeweler, will look great. Unique sends the rings out semi-finished. Ask GOG to finish the prings nice and smooth and thin, and to give lice delicate claw type prong tips. That will make a world of difference.

uiriamu

Rough_Rock
Dreamer_D|1303929055|2906363 said:
Does GOG have any real life photos of the Unique setting that they have made/sold before?

I ask because you cannot judge the quality of the unique settings from the photos on their site. I have a setting from them and it is much lovelier than the image on their site. All their drawings look boxy and crummy to my eye.

I think the unique ring, once finished by GOG's jeweler, will look great. Unique sends the rings out semi-finished. Ask GOG to finish the prings nice and smooth and thin, and to give lice delicate claw type prong tips. That will make a world of difference.
Thanks, I'll ask GOG to do that with the prongs! Great advice!

uiriamu

Rough_Rock
Went ahead and used one of your threads for examples of claws and slender prongs, Dreamer D. Hope that's all right!

Update re: my B&M purchase:

Went back to the B&M with interesting results. They are of course 100% going to return my deposit. They wanted to make a counter offer, something to compare with the GOG diamond (and ring) that I ordered.

They were reluctant for me to share the specs (possible red flag) but here are the basics 1.00 E Si1 GIA vg/vg/vg for 5k, which they assure me is selling at a loss to gain a presumably long-term customer.

The HCA comparison is 3.2 for the B&M stone and 1.1 for the GOG.

Looking around online, that seems like a pretty good deal. They even offered to have the stone evaluated by AGS if I'm interested after we compare the stones. They just ask that I pay for the cost of the AGS cert if I buy the stone.

They're pretty confident that something about their stone will be graded more generously by AGS than it was for GIA.

The other thing they mentioned was that I should bring the stone by so we can take it outside to compare on a bright sunny day. I'm assuming that this might relate to the tendency for certain stones to be darker than others in bright sunlight.

I'm curious to hear thoughts about whether this is in fact a special deal, or is this just another somewhat sketchy attempt to sell a diamond at a profit? I'm feeling pretty good about the GOG diamond, and I know that they are comfortable giving me as much information as possible, so I can't imagine that I would choose to go against that. The only possibility is that I happen to respond better to a less well-cut diamond in terms of brightness without contrast and randomness vs H&A. Even then, though, especially since this is a surprise for my gf, I'll stick with the classically good diamond.

It seems pretty harmless though to wait a few more days to get the deposit back. At the very least, I'll get a chance to do more looking and thinking about my purchase!

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
I've heard that "we're selling it at a loss" line before, and trust me when I say this, NO ONE is going to do that! They're running a business, why on earth would they sell something at a loss? The line about gaining a long term customer is BS. I had a guy tell me, "really I'm making no money on this deal at all, I just want you to tell all your friends where you got the ring", and I bought it (no pun intended)! And then I returned it to him because the stones kept falling out, and then I sold the one he gave me in its place because I couldn't bare having to deal with him again. And then I found online diamond vendors and I'm never going back!! I'm not saying all B&M stores are bad, because they're not, but don't believe anyone who says they are not making a profit on a transaction. You're in there looking at engagement rings - that is not the sign of someone who would even be a long term customer. It's all sales techniques - take it from someone who learned the hard way.

And for what it's worth, I would take an AGS Ideal over a GIA Very Good any day of the week. I say stick with GOG, but hey, that's just me. ;-)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will say that there are definite advantages to having a friendly relationship w/ a local store - they can do checkups, minor (and major, if they have a decent bench) repairs, polishings & platings... shipping costs can definitely add up over time if you have to send your ring out every x months.

Of course you aren't obligated to buy your stone from them to foster said relationship! And I don't believe that they're not making a profit, but I do believe that a smaller operation especially may be slicing into that profit quite a bit to gain a long-term customer, especially in this economy when the market for luxury goods is all but dead.. The deal that they'll send it to AGS and you'll pay for the report if you choose to buy it sounds fair. And - it may be a very nice stone, the HCA is a blunt weeding tool, it does let some beauties slip through the cracks. Have you seen it in-person? What did you think?

Here's what I'd do: have the GOG shipped out to you, take it in, and compare it with the stone they are offering - and lots and lots of others. A stone can be excellent by any number of metrics and not fit your personal tastes, and the latter is ultimately the only thing that matters! Once you've compared in lots of types of lighting (outside on a sunny day, inside under office lights, under the desk where it's pretty dim, by a curtained window in the diffused sunlight...) I think you'll find it very easy to choose :sun:

uiriamu

Rough_Rock
Thanks Yssie and Kal! The advice here is tops!

uiriamu

Rough_Rock
Yssie|1304146566|2908488 said:
Here's what I'd do: have the GOG shipped out to you, take it in, and compare it with the stone they are offering - and lots and lots of others. A stone can be excellent by any number of metrics and not fit your personal tastes, and the latter is ultimately the only thing that matters! Once you've compared in lots of types of lighting (outside on a sunny day, inside under office lights, under the desk where it's pretty dim, by a curtained window in the diffused sunlight...) I think you'll find it very easy to choose :sun:
I brought the GOG diamond with me to the local place to compare. I was actually a bit disappointed that I couldn't tell immediately tell the difference between the two stones. We louped them (in the store lighting) and then compared them outside. I tried to shade them with my hand, but that probably doesn't adequately simulate low-light conditions. I'm not sure if I ever got a good sense of how they might comparatively perform in less sparkly conditions. I don't trust myself to notice the quality or presence of inclusions, but I didn't immediately see any in either stone. The settings were very different: the GOG was in the low-profile setting shown above; the B&M was in a typical four-prong Tiffany-knife edge-style temporary presentation setting (pretty thin). We showed it around to a bunch of people, who seemed to prefer the 1.00.

The B&M 1.00 GIA vg E Si1 seemed marginally brighter at times. I don't know if at the very center of the ASET for the .9 it matters that there is a little green/red mix, or maybe I've really lost it.

Can anybody tell me under what conditions I should expect to see better performance from the AGS0 GOG diamond? Should I learn about the inclusion patterns of the GIA to make sure that it really is "eyeclean"?

The GIA is 1.00 and will cost $5300 all told, including temporary setting. The GOG .9 AGS0 E Si1 cost $5850, including the $300 cost of the setting. I'm trying to decide what will give me more peace of mind in the long term: buying a GOG diamond that I know has awesome specs and will perform uniformly excellently; or spending a bit less for a diamond from a local store that isn't optimal statistically but gets me up to that 1 carat.

Help!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
uiriamu|1304680954|2913809 said:
Yssie|1304146566|2908488 said:
I brought the GOG diamond with me to the local place to compare. I was actually a bit disappointed that I couldn't tell immediately tell the difference between the two stones. We louped them (in the store lighting) and then compared them outside. I tried to shade them with my hand, but that probably doesn't adequately simulate low-light conditions. I'm not sure if I ever got a good sense of how they might comparatively perform in less sparkly conditions. I don't trust myself to notice the quality or presence of inclusions, but I didn't immediately see any in either stone. The settings were very different: the GOG was in the low-profile setting shown above; the B&M was in a typical four-prong Tiffany-knife edge-style temporary presentation setting (pretty thin). We showed it around to a bunch of people, who seemed to prefer the 1.00.

The B&M 1.00 GIA vg E Si1 seemed marginally brighter at times. I don't know if at the very center of the ASET for the .9 it matters that there is a little green/red mix, or maybe I've really lost it.

Can anybody tell me under what conditions I should expect to see better performance from the AGS0 GOG diamond? Should I learn about the inclusion patterns of the GIA to make sure that it really is "eyeclean"?

The GIA is 1.00 and will cost $5300 all told, including temporary setting. The GOG .9 AGS0 E Si1 cost $5850, including the $300 cost of the setting. I'm trying to decide what will give me more peace of mind in the long term: buying a GOG diamond that I know has awesome specs and will perform uniformly excellently; or spending a bit less for a diamond from a local store that isn't optimal statistically but gets me up to that 1 carat.

Help!

the green at center of ASET is a non-issue.

did one stand out more to your eyes? sometimes when watching diamond videos my eyes gravitate towards one diamond for no particular reason. also, how noticeable did you find the size difference?

weird that they wouldn't share the stats or GIA report number...

did you look at it from different angles in different lighting after louping to see where the inclusions are? that is probably the best way to see if you can see the inclusions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results