shape
carat
color
clarity

first e-ring purchase advice please!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Outside in bright sunlight and inside in a jewelry store are not good places to assess diamonds. You sort of have to live with them accross many different lighting environments to get a feel for the differences.

Honestly, for the difference in price I would go with the AGS0. Sometimes you have to trust the report on cut quality, and if GIA says it is a VG then most likely it is not as well cut as the AGS0. If you averaged the appearance accross all lighting, the AGS0 will perform better. You don't have to trust your own eyes, you can trust the standardized cut assessment methods of GIA and AGS ;))

uiriamu

Rough_Rock
Thanks for these details, and the reassurance about the green spot. I have a GIA report number, which I looked up and which I was asked not to share (not sure why). The report is from 2009, however, and there are no plots of inclusions, etc. There is also this in the comments field: Internal graining is not shown.Surface graining is not shown.

It does make sense to me that I won't do a good job of analyzing light performance at this very newbie stage of things!

uiriamu

Rough_Rock
Update!

I proposed with the GOG ring and we're engaged! She loves it, can't stop looking at it, and talks about how bright it is. It looks pretty huge on her slender fingers, and I really have noticed how well it performs in all kinds of environments, even in a darkened room with drawn curtains. It might take her a bit to adjust to having a "flashier" piece of jewelry, but I'm really glad I got her a ring that is basically a modified version of the classic engagement ring (lower profile setting, gold shank).

So, thanks everyone! We're both extremely happy and excited, and I feel great about the ring I got her.

I'm going to have it insured with Jeweler's Mutual. I have the appraisal report from GOG, which lists the retail replacement price as $8551, which is substantially more than the $5851 I paid for it. Is this standard? Should I just go ahead and insure it for $8551?

Thanks again!

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement!! How exciting. Please post pictures of the ring!! I will let other people answer the appraisal/insurance question because I am not an expert, but I will say we used Jeweler's Mutual and it was very affordable and easy, so good choice on that. Also, we took my e-ring (which is from BGD) to an independent appraiser and insured it for the amount he appraised it at (which was approx $2000 more than what my fiance paid).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results