carat
color
clarity

First diamond purchase for an engagement ring

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see you have recommended this one:
Given its VS2 and quite visible inclusions on the video, also color G, are you sure it may be worth its price? its quite ... quite a stretch for me :(
1712907079592.png

If you look carefully at the fire video, it also has some internal grains which are not being mentioned in the GIA cert.
Why are those not? are quite visible

1. You won't see those inclusions IRL because it's so magnified.

2. The fire video is not of this diamond. It says "this is a sample video". So ignore that, and the hearts and arrows, since all are examples

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
No I don’t like that one as much as some others. It has darkness in the center (pavilion twist) and thin arrows.

I’m unsure why you keep looking and suggesting options worse than earlier ones. Makes it hard to offer suggestions.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No I don’t like that one as much as some others. It has darkness in the center (pavilion twist) and thin arrows.

I’m unsure why you keep looking and suggesting options worse than earlier ones. Makes it hard to offer suggestions.

Yup. I agree.

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
1. You won't see those inclusions IRL because it's so magnified.

2. The fire video is not of this diamond. It says "this is a sample video". So ignore that, and the hearts and arrows, since all are examples

Thanks, I have noticed that...they re all samples. quite weird to be shown there, a little bit confusing.

You refer to this one?

Well, I prefer buying it from Europe from 77diamonds rather than US. makes things simplier.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock

That's on me bc I said it was a decent cut among the 3 finalists he picked from 77diamonds that are within budget.

What do you think of the other one he found in his price range? I agree that these aren't WF ACA stones, but it's sort of trying to do the best with what we've got. I've linked his below.

https://www.77diamonds.com/diamonds/loose-diamonds?item=-1&diamond=RBPUIFSRKBW2HJ7

The other one I really liked was the 0.46 that @lovedogs found on Blue Nile. But again, I'm don't have nearly the experience that you and @lovedogs and @Kim N have. I hope some of my stamps of approval aren't clouding the issues.

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/20799434

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's on me bc I said it was a decent cut among the 3 finalists he picked from 77diamonds that are within budget.

What do you think of the other one he found in his price range? I agree that these aren't WF ACA stones, but it's sort of trying to do the best with what we've got. I've linked his below.

https://www.77diamonds.com/diamonds/loose-diamonds?item=-1&diamond=RBPUIFSRKBW2HJ7

The other one I really liked was the 0.46 that @lovedogs found on Blue Nile. But again, I'm don't have nearly the experience that you and @lovedogs and @Kim N have. I hope some of my stamps of approval aren't clouding the issues.

My favorites are the G from 77 diamonds and the blue Nile one

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
Thanks @0515vision. However, the one you have mentioned is out of my budget (earlier posted by me), would have to stretch to get it. its 1300 + 19% VAT = 1547 end payment.
However, if its really excellent, I would consider getting it.

I am currently running quite out of time, it will take me about 2 weeks locally to have it mounted + 1-2 weeks to be delivered. My intention was to have it by 1st of May. Surely not going to meet this date but ... a week later is fine still.

I am looking also for a pair of earring+necklace+ring with a combo of topaz/citrine as they are my gf's birthstones.
Rather than spending 1800 eur on that diamond 0.55...could get the 1100 one (the other cupid from above) and the rest add to this combo.

that 0.55 costs me about 1850 in the end, with all taxes, about 50% more than my budget.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about this one, with a 16% crown height?

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
Given it has no video, just the picture, are you confident enough it is better than the other ones?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given it has no video, just the picture, are you confident enough it is better than the other ones?

Here's the video. I like it better than the others from 77.

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
Have you managed to spot the grainings? I can only see them from the side and from the pointed view.
As I see them, one of them is under the table. could that be an issue?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you managed to spot the grainings? I can only see them from the side and from the pointed view.

I don't think they will be an issue at all.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock

No issue for real life viewing.

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
alright. i'll sleep it off and see how i feel about it tomorrow.
it pisses me off that girlfriend walks around so much and ive got to close all windows and i keep get interrupted while writing / searching diamonds.

more than that, given my bday is in few days, my parents thought of surprising me with with their presence for whole weekend and i also got sick.

so far, 3 good options to consider from:

0.55 G VS 2 from 77Diamonds - just way over my budget, considering if its cut quality is really worth the extra money.

0.46 F VS1 from BlueNile

0.46 F VVSI from 77Diamonds, last found by Kim N.

which one is your favorite of these 3?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
alright. i'll sleep it off and see how i feel about it tomorrow.
it pisses me off that girlfriend walks around so much and ive got to close all windows and i keep get interrupted while writing / searching diamonds.

more than that, given my bday is in few days, my parents thought of surprising me with with their presence for whole weekend and i also got sick.

so far, 3 good options to consider from:

0.55 G VS 2 from 77Diamonds - just way over my budget, considering if its cut quality is really worth the extra money.

0.46 F VS1 from BlueNile

0.46 F VVSI from 77Diamonds, last found by Kim N.

which one is your favorite of these 3?

I'm biased, of course, but I pick the last one!

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
I have never paid attention to the fluorescence when watched the diamonds in the stores.

Tho I am very color sensitive, I could also tell the difference between an E and an H. still, my gf may not really be or may not really care.

and another thing ... i told her to try on some diamond earrings and she told me "i dont like diamonds, i prefer colored stones".
This has changed when we got to see that splendid diamond from the pawn shop. Now I know that if I am to give her a diamond...it must be perfect else she won't like it :) so thats how i got super picky.

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
I'm not knowledgeable enough on stones to comment there, but I want to comment on the statements you've made about stretching your budget. I don't know how much of a stretch the more expensive diamond is but being on PS makes you want nicer and nicer jewelry and people often end up spending more than they intended to. Sometimes that's good because this is a long-term piece of jewelry so it's one of the times when a splurge might be worth cutting back elsewhere in your life. BUT there will always be something bigger/better/newer than what you have. I think every PS member has been here :lol: Please don't feel pressured to stretch your budget to something that's really uncomfortable for you. You have put so much time and effort into this search that anything you choose at this point will be beautiful and a huge improvement over what you were initially considering.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never paid attention to the fluorescence when watched the diamonds in the stores.

Tho I am very color sensitive, I could also tell the difference between an E and an H. still, my gf may not really be or may not really care.

and another thing ... i told her to try on some diamond earrings and she told me "i dont like diamonds, i prefer colored stones".
This has changed when we got to see that splendid diamond from the pawn shop. Now I know that if I am to give her a diamond...it must be perfect else she won't like it :) so thats how i got super picky.

What was so splendid about the diamond at the pawn shop? If she loved it, then maybe it is the one! Otherwise, I would take the last one @Kim N suggested. Perfect doesn't exist - nothing is absolutely perfect. Keep that in mind and stop driving yourself crazy. She doesn't know half of what you know so she doesn't know what perfect is - only what she likes. I think the other part is receiving a diamond selected by someone for you. It makes it special and wonderful. Don't lose sight of that either.

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all so much for the advices.

firstly, that pawn shop diamond was smaller, like a 0.3ct and secondly, it was in a ring setting with a lot of small diamonds, reaching to a 0.76 ct. the ring setting was very ... not to our liking and whilst i havent asked if I can purchase the diamond separately im quite sure they do not.

It just had so much fire from every angle.

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all so much for the advices.

firstly, that pawn shop diamond was smaller, like a 0.3ct and secondly, it was in a ring setting with a lot of small diamonds, reaching to a 0.76 ct. the ring setting was very ... not to our liking and whilst i havent asked if I can purchase the diamond separately im quite sure they do not.

It just had so much fire from every angle.

Any chance it was just the lighting in the pawn shop? My jewelry looks AMAZING at some of the grocery stores I go to.

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
Any chance it was just the lighting in the pawn shop? My jewelry looks AMAZING at some of the grocery stores I go to.

Well, as we have watched more than 1 diamond ring and it was only 1 that was outstanding...guess its not the lightning.

i may get back there next days, i'll take a video :D

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Please remember that pawn shop lighting, is purposely designed to set off fire. By over flooding the facets, you’ll never see any leakage or obstruction. That is on natural lighting that you will never replicate in real world marriage day to day life.

Edit: Paul Gian of beyondthe4cs.com went to a Cartier store with a friend to look at engagement rings. At that store, they take you into a separate room without any spotlights or typical jewelry store lighting. This was so you could purposely see how the diamonds would look on their own without marketing manipulation. Given the refractive index of diamonds, poor cuts can look amazing under the right lighting conditions.

Last edited:

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
Bout the 3rd stone, do that 45% star length with 75% lower halves work with the 40.6pa and 35.5ca, 16% height?

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
are you asking about the stone Kim found? Honestly I feel like you’re a too preoccupied with numbers right now. That stone is cut so well. You can see it in the videos and the photo. There’s no pavilion twist. There’s no paddling. No digging or painting. Also the numbers are averages and rounded figures. The numbers don’t tell you how the facets are functioning.

By now, you’ve seen numerous stones with all the right numbers on the certificate, but defects in the way the cuts were executed. It’s like buying all the best equipment for a band, but not be able to make any music. You have to take the whole picture into consideration.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
are you asking about the stone Kim found? Honestly I feel like you’re a too preoccupied with numbers right now. That stone is cut so well. You can see it in the videos and the photo. There’s no pavilion twist. There’s no paddling. No digging or painting. Also the numbers are averages and rounded figures. The numbers don’t tell you how the facets are functioning.

By now, you’ve seen numerous stones with all the right numbers on the certificate, but defects in the way the cuts were executed. It’s like buying all the best equipment for a band, but not be able to make any music. You have to take the whole picture into consideration.

I agree with all this.

At some point, especially with your deadline, you're just going to have to pick one. I think you've gotten yourself into analysis paralysis and you're getting too bogged down in the details.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results