shape
carat
color
clarity

First diamond I’m picking out and I want to make sure that I’m buying a good stone

bucks23

Rough_Rock
I’m currently in the process of having an engagement ring made and this is the stone that’s the front runner. I'm just looking for a little advice on if I'm choosing the right stone. The ring is going to be a 1.4caret natural oval with halo around. The main stone will sit very low inside the halo and overall be a very low profile ring. I'm just wondering if there is anything with this oval that i should be worried about? Any flags or something to be cautious with? Thanks!
IMG_3904.png IMG_3905.png

bucks23

Rough_Rock
Fancy cuts can't be judged with numbers alone. We need to see pics/videos

Okay that makes sense. I’m buying this from a local jeweler and I don’t have any professional type pictures or 3D viewer. I did see it in person and to me it looks like a good diamond but I don’t completely know what I’m looking at of course. I took one picture but it’s a very poor quality one so it won’t help anything.

I just was wondering if there was any numbers that I should care about. I know that the girdle is a little thick but that seems common for ovals. It seems like the table is at the edge of being a lower number than people recommend and also depth is at the edge of being too deep (If I’m even accurate on that). Also wasn’t sure about symmetry and if i should be getting a excellent or is very good enough and won’t take about from the brilliance.

I know you said you have to see it to know so it’s that the case then I got my answer for the information I can provide you guys here right now. If that’s the case then I’m just going to trust my jeweler and his opinion on it.

Thank you. I get in my head easily and I want to make sure I’m getting the right thing for my girlfriend. So I just needed some reassurance.

Attachments

• IMG_3869.jpeg
    IMG_3869.jpeg
    254 KB · Views: 15

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you able to share the report number? We might be able to find the vendor video that way.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The main challenge in buying ovals is they can show a bow tie effect. This is when there is leakage/darkness in a bow tie pattern across what might be considered the “waist” on the oval. All ovals show it to some degree but you want to find one with less. I see some signs of that in the picture. I’d need to see a video or something to know for sure. If you google bowtie oval videos you will likely find some and can educate your eyes.

bucks23

Rough_Rock
The main challenge in buying ovals is they can show a bow tie effect. This is when there is leakage/darkness in a bow tie pattern across what might be considered the “waist” on the oval. All ovals show it to some degree but you want to find one with less. I see some signs of that in the picture. I’d need to see a video or something to know for sure. If you google bowtie oval videos you will likely find some and can educate your eyes.

When I want in to look at this oval I did look for a bow tie. It was there but honestly not too bad in my opinion. I think the picture I took shows it at its worst.
The ring should be done for me to look at in about two weeks so I’ll be able to see what it looks like in its setting. I’ll look closer at the bow tie and see how noticeably it is then. Maybe I can get some better pictures or video.
I’ll also watch some videos on oval bow ties too so I know what is acceptable or not.
Appreciate everyone’s help and suggestions

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results