shape
carat
color
clarity

Fingerprints on your DIAMOND!! When people "touch" your diamond!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondtifff

Shiny_Rock
Why is it people feel the need to put their finger right on the top of your diamond????? I know they dont mean harm and they are admiring..but IT NERVES ME TO NO END!!!!! I just cleaned my ring and steamed it and I went to a gathering tonight and everyone was like..Ohhhh let me see your ring and stick their finger smack in the middle of it- and say "oh how georgeous, and I am cringing knowing their fingerprint is smack in the middle of my diamond...and them I immediately rub it with my shirt and just say, Oh...thank you - Does this bug you all and how do you handle it?????It just bugs me to no end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont want to be rude and jerk it away..........am I being ridiculious????? How do yall handle this???

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know, it drives me bonkers!!! I politely ask people to look with their eyes, not with their hands
41.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
It drives me nuts, too. I do the same thing you do. Say thank you and wipe it off on my shirt. When I go home I give it a good bath. Did you get the loosening problem fixed on your ring?

diamondtifff

Shiny_Rock
Oh yes....I did........ I sent it to LA and they had to laser all new, thicker prongs on the center and put more platinum on the trillion prongs- Its not rattling anymore!!!! Hopefully that will do it- Oh- but its nice to hear that it drives others nuts too!! I dont want to be rude - I have kinda jerked it away before they touched it but they look at me kinda weird- I dont know if I could say anything to people about not touching it...I have a hard time asking people to take their shoes off in on my white carpet!! I think though...that has to be my biggest pet peeve!!!!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think non-jewelry lovers just don''t ''get it'' when it comes to the irksome fingerprint-on-the-stone thing. I love to look at people''s jewelry up close and love to hold their hand closer to my eye, but I never lay a finger on the actual piece!!! It is a peeve - sometimes I carry a travel cleaner in my purse and do a touchup in the bathroom or something, but usually I just wipe it off on my shirt or pants and accept that it''s inevitably going to happen!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I feel the same way as you. I had more than a dozen people do that recently; now come on, I promise the stone is real. LOL I have jerked away or tried to dodge the print but low and behold it doesn't work and I end up feeling rude to the person who wants to see.
14.gif

It is funny because when no one is looking I breath on it and polish it off. I wonder too; I honestly don't get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a link to diamond peeves and loves https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-peeves-and-loves.56564/

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
People who own jewellery know that fingerprints leave marks on them which is why we don''t do it. I completely understand why other people touch them - it''s natural human behaviour to not only want to see pretty things but to also touch them. That''s why I don''t mind if people do it.

What would bug me would be if I was pregnant and everyone touching my tummy. For some reason, people think that it''s okay to touch a strange woman''s belly just because she''s pregnant.

DiamondSmitten

Shiny_Rock
I have an Asscher which many people I encounter have never seen before and when they put their fingerprint on it I wanna tap their hand like tapping a little kid grabbing for something that isn''t theirs. Once that Print is on there I HAVE to wipe it off. Once a finger print is on the table you can hardly see the awesome asscher pattern. I have tried to pull away quickly but it never helps. It is comforting to know other diamond lovers feel it too.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I took my ring in to be cleaned at my jewelers this week. A new hire cleaned it and brought it back with a big ole thumb print right on the table. Wiping did no good. Must have been her sticky lunch. She had to clean it again for me, obviously. I hope she learns not to do that right quick.
32.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh-I feel you, Tifff! I read threads like this before I got my ring and I was kind of like "I don''t think people will do that to mine that much..." Needless to say, I was WRONG! People love to touch the top/sides/everything on my ring! And I have a pave halo and small baguette sidestones, so it''s hard to wipe everything off after someone paws it! The center stone''s easy, but those baguettes look so filthy so quick! I seriously need to carry around my jewelry cleaner everywhere I go.

But I can definitely tell who the real jewelry lovers are, because when they ask to see me ring, they''ll take my hand or even my finger and move it all around so they can see my ring, but they never touch it!

KindredSpirit717

Rough_Rock
This really bugs me quite a bit as well although it''s rarely a stranger that does it and it''s often my husband! Whenever we''re holding hands, he tends to twirl my ring or play with the table of the stone, he likes the smoothness of it I suppose. He doesn''t realize he does it, it''s just a habit. I pull away though and breathe on it and clean it with my shirt. I also keep a jewelry cleaning cloth in my purse at ALL times just in case. It''s nice to know other people do this because I sometimes recieve weird looks while I polish my stone with my shirt and breath...oh well there''s just notihng that irks me when I know my stone isn''t as shiny as it should be...

btrflygrl23

Brilliant_Rock
OMG I thought I was the only one thank goodness that it bug you lovely ladies too!!! I just got engaged about 2 weeks ago and I''m really crazy about my ring and I am careful to keep it really clean and the other day this girl I work with just grabbed my hand and started touching the diamond ALL over and flicking the head and running her nail against the shank and stuff and it was all I could do not to smack her hand away and I didn''t know what to do glad to know it happen all the time and that it bugs everyone.
Why do people do this????? I would never start grabbing all over someones beautiful diamond it''s rude I think!
35.gif
21.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 10:33:57 PM
Author: KindredSpirit717
This really bugs me quite a bit as well although it''s rarely a stranger that does it and it''s often my husband! Whenever we''re holding hands, he tends to twirl my ring or play with the table of the stone, he likes the smoothness of it I suppose. He doesn''t realize he does it, it''s just a habit. I pull away though and breathe on it and clean it with my shirt. I also keep a jewelry cleaning cloth in my purse at ALL times just in case. It''s nice to know other people do this because I sometimes recieve weird looks while I polish my stone with my shirt and breath...oh well there''s just notihng that irks me when I know my stone isn''t as shiny as it should be...

My hubby does this too! But I''ve been married a long time so I tell him to keep is big oily fingerprints off my diamond! He just laughs.

Molly1024

Shiny_Rock
My husband is the worst offender- he plays with when we''re holding hands. Sometimes, I''ll take my hand away and give him the "you''re smudging the table" look, to which of course he tries to put his finger smack dab on top of the diamond. I, too, then breathe on it and try to wipe it off when no one''s looking.

jenna_g

Rough_Rock
My husband does this all the time! And now, my 10 month old baby has started to do it! Everytime she notices my ring, she pulls it close to her with one hand and puts her grubby little baby finger on it...lol. I guess you''re never too young to start appreciating bling!
9.gif
Luckily, she''s supercute and it''s very easy to forgive her. (And so is my husband!)

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is an odd thing that people feel comfy doing that to a stranger. Sort of like seeing a pregnant woman and touching her belly in a familiar way without having asked permission. Creepy. Or like strangers coming up to your infant and touching him on the face, or letting him suck their fingers...so gross. There are many people who do not have a good sense of personal space and boundaries, or what is socially okay to do when meeting a stranger. I guess the best thing to do is just quickly move your hand away and change the subject...there is not a need to be mean, but you do not have to put up with it either!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 10:03:35 PM
Author: Sparkster
People who own jewellery know that fingerprints leave marks on them which is why we don''t do it. I completely understand why other people touch them - it''s natural human behaviour to not only want to see pretty things but to also touch them. That''s why I don''t mind if people do it.

What would bug me would be if I was pregnant and everyone touching my tummy. For some reason, people think that it''s okay to touch a strange woman''s belly just because she''s pregnant.
it never bothered me to have people come up and touch my belly, but not many ever did... I doubt I''ll mind it when people touch my ring (well, unless they''re gross) because whatever joy it gives them to examine something they''ve maybe never seen before (and I bet most have not seen a 2.71 old mine brilliant!) is worth far more than buffing out a few fingerprints :)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve honestly never encountered this issue, fortunately! My ring is a 1.5 RB solitaire and I have a WB with 1.4 ctw of princess cuts, but anyone who''s ever admired it has examined it with only their eyes, luckily for me. I''ve also been told in the past that I''m "unapproachable" (back in my college days during a job review when I worked in a teeny-bopper retail store in the mall), so maybe that explains why people look at but don''t touch my jewelry, could have something to do with my body language. In other words, maybe I come across as a standoffish bit*h.
9.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I definitely feel you on that one--drives me CRAZY. Then again, I hate when anyone touches ANYTHING like that with their fingers (computer screens, especially!! ugh, I hate smears on my laptop...)

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also pull my hand away when I think someone wants to touch the stone. I do the same thing with necklaces, too. Someone once tried to touch a pendant I was wearing, and I kept backing away from her until she finally got the hint. She never spoke to me again after that....I wonder why.....

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 2:40:30 AM
Author: musey
I definitely feel you on that one--drives me CRAZY. Then again, I hate when anyone touches ANYTHING like that with their fingers (computer screens, especially!! ugh, I hate smears on my laptop...)

I feel the same; I will be showing a client something on my laptop and thinking "please don''t let them touch the screen, please don''t let them touch the screen, please don''t let them touch the screen." When it is over then I think "Thank goodness they didn''t touch the screen."

EWWWWW, I can''t believe people put fingers in your baby''s mouth. Hands are so dirty; ewwww again.

diamondtifff

Shiny_Rock
See!! I know Im not crazy!! And another thing they do is I wear a shared prong band with my ring sometimes and people will grab my hand and like push on my big yellow ring and it pushes the head up against the band and scratches the head on the yellow diamond!!! I wear it with a little space between them and that really drives my nuts! And then they top it off with a big finger on the table!!!!!! I need to come up with a better way to deal with this- Maybe once you notice they are " heading in for the grab" you could take your hand and put it right infront of their face or something - I dont know......I just cant believe how rude some people are- I have had people say they should throw me down and steal my ring!!!!!! They are joking but Oh MY!!!!
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol there was another post like this a few months ago...i totally feel the same way. i hate when people reach for my hand and put their thumb smack dab on the table to turn the ring to left and right to see the sides. i am like JEEZ. greg knows it drives me nuts and so sometimes when he wants to get my goat he grabs my hand and puts his hands all over the stone then laughs when i jump up and run to get the cleaner...men!!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 11:41:31 AM
Author: diamondtifff
See!! I know Im not crazy!! And another thing they do is I wear a shared prong band with my ring sometimes and people will grab my hand and like push on my big yellow ring and it pushes the head up against the band and scratches the head on the yellow diamond!!! I wear it with a little space between them and that really drives my nuts! And then they top it off with a big finger on the table!!!!!! I need to come up with a better way to deal with this- Maybe once you notice they are '' heading in for the grab'' you could take your hand and put it right infront of their face or something - I dont know......I just cant believe how rude some people are- I have had people say they should throw me down and steal my ring!!!!!! They are joking but Oh MY!!!!
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
OH MY is right!!! I had one lady threaten (jokingly) to cut off my finger and take my ring.......This was at my kids'' school PTA meeting!!!!!!! And my ring, while I love it, isn''t even that big.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 1:43:57 AM
Author: monarch64
I''ve honestly never encountered this issue, fortunately! My ring is a 1.5 RB solitaire and I have a WB with 1.4 ctw of princess cuts, but anyone who''s ever admired it has examined it with only their eyes, luckily for me. I''ve also been told in the past that I''m ''unapproachable'' (back in my college days during a job review when I worked in a teeny-bopper retail store in the mall), so maybe that explains why people look at but don''t touch my jewelry, could have something to do with my body language. In other words, maybe I come across as a standoffish bit*h.
9.gif
I think I do too because I was so proud of my baby belly that I would have welcomed any stranger coping a feel and I only recall one doing it and I ended up grabbing her hand and moving it around to the exciting parts!!! hahaha!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 12:33:46 PM
Author: Miranda
OH MY is right!!! I had one lady threaten (jokingly) to cut off my finger and take my ring.......This was at my kids'' school PTA meeting!!!!!!! And my ring, while I love it, isn''t even that big.
omg!!!!! In the past if someone wanted to see a ring I was always happy to take it off and hand it to them, but now that I''m faced with having a really expensive ring I have to rethink my whole way of being - there''s just no way I can take my ring off and hand it to a stranger. But its not natural for me to be that way and I have to retrain myself. How bizarre!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 1:43:57 AM
Author: monarch64
In other words, maybe I come across as a standoffish bit*h.
9.gif
LOL Monnie, I doubt it, but if it works, go with it.
emthup.gif
1.gif

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have my engagement ring setting made yet but I do have both an emerald and a sapphire ring that people love to touch. If they touch it I will wipe it off immediately, right in front of them, and I do it without even thinking until they ask me if I''m wiping off their fingerprints. Then I go Oops and explain I like for it to sparkle and shine. My friends and family know I hate fingerprints on jewelry so much that if they have a new piece, and I ask to see it, they wipe it off first just so I won''t fuss. My bf also touches my rings when we hold hands, but he really tries not to...but when he does he wipes the ring off on his own shirt...that always makes me laugh.

I saw a TV show about Elizabeth Taylor and I forgot who was interviewing her (Diane Sawyer, maybe?...can''t remember) and the interviewer reached out as if to touch one of her zillion carat diamond rings and she said, "Now, don''t put fingerprints on the diamond". I was like YES!... you tell ''em, Elizabeth!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
I like my personal space, and I think people usually get that from my body language, so very few strangers or even friends have tried to touch my ring unless I invited them to. The trouble is, I endlessly manage to get it filthy and covered with fingerprints all on my own, and I''m never even sure how or when I touched it! I find myself wiping it off all day long. Oh well-It means everything to me because of who it came from, and what it signifies, but physically, it''s three rocks and some metal, and I know the dirt will come off, so I don''t stress that much about it.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 9:06:12 PM
Author: dianne
I don''t have my engagement ring setting made yet but I do have both an emerald and a sapphire ring that people love to touch. If they touch it I will wipe it off immediately, right in front of them, and I do it without even thinking until they ask me if I''m wiping off their fingerprints. Then I go Oops and explain I like for it to sparkle and shine. My friends and family know I hate fingerprints on jewelry so much that if they have a new piece, and I ask to see it, they wipe it off first just so I won''t fuss. My bf also touches my rings when we hold hands, but he really tries not to...but when he does he wipes the ring off on his own shirt...that always makes me laugh.

I saw a TV show about Elizabeth Taylor and I forgot who was interviewing her (Diane Sawyer, maybe?...can''t remember) and the interviewer reached out as if to touch one of her zillion carat diamond rings and she said, ''Now, don''t put fingerprints on the diamond''. I was like YES!... you tell ''em, Elizabeth!
Oh, hell no. I would not Oops or apologize or anything else. Excuse me, you just invaded my space by venturing into one of my pet peeves. I now get to whip my diamond cloth out of my handbag and clean it right under your nose with a raised eyebrow and a "do you mind" glare.

shay

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results