shape
carat
color
clarity

Fingerprints on your DIAMOND!! When people "touch" your diamond!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 12:51:18 AM
Author: diamondfan
It is an odd thing that people feel comfy doing that to a stranger. Sort of like seeing a pregnant woman and touching her belly in a familiar way without having asked permission. Creepy. Or like strangers coming up to your infant and touching him on the face, or letting him suck their fingers...so gross. There are many people who do not have a good sense of personal space and boundaries, or what is socially okay to do when meeting a stranger. I guess the best thing to do is just quickly move your hand away and change the subject...there is not a need to be mean, but you do not have to put up with it either!
This was such a peeve of mine! I *hated* having anyone but my immediate family touch my huge belly. I mean really--would you walk up and touch my stomach if it wasn't so unnaturally huge?

But back to diamonds--mine isn't big enough to attract attention most of the time, but my kids know not to touch the table. I laugh at myself about it and they know mom is anal about clean diamonds.
5.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/19/2007 12:33:46 PM
Author: Miranda

Date: 4/19/2007 11:41:31 AM
Author: diamondtifff
See!! I know Im not crazy!! And another thing they do is I wear a shared prong band with my ring sometimes and people will grab my hand and like push on my big yellow ring and it pushes the head up against the band and scratches the head on the yellow diamond!!! I wear it with a little space between them and that really drives my nuts! And then they top it off with a big finger on the table!!!!!! I need to come up with a better way to deal with this- Maybe once you notice they are '' heading in for the grab'' you could take your hand and put it right infront of their face or something - I dont know......I just cant believe how rude some people are- I have had people say they should throw me down and steal my ring!!!!!! They are joking but Oh MY!!!!
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
OH MY is right!!! I had one lady threaten (jokingly) to cut off my finger and take my ring.......This was at my kids'' school PTA meeting!!!!!!! And my ring, while I love it, isn''t even that big.
That reminds me of a lady I used to work with, she always made a big deal over my ring (she had some gorgeous jewelry herself but wasn''t married at the time), and she used to say to me all the time: "I''m going to steal your ring and buy myself a new car!" I would just have this fake laugh reaction and say, oh you''re silly, but inside I was not only pissed but also totally freaked out! Who SAYS that?
20.gif
I did take comfort in the fact that she assumed my ring cost enough to buy a new car with, even if it didn''t, but I certainly didn''t tell her that.
2.gif

bujiatang

Rough_Rock
I think it is the impulse to destroy. Remember the Joker in Batman? what do people do to beautiful things?

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I cringe inside and smile through gritted teeth....I really don''t like it but unfortunately I don''t have the guts to pull back my hand.
37.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2007 10:17:23 PM
Author: monarch64

Date: 4/19/2007 12:33:46 PM
Author: Miranda

Date: 4/19/2007 11:41:31 AM
Author: diamondtifff
See!! I know Im not crazy!! And another thing they do is I wear a shared prong band with my ring sometimes and people will grab my hand and like push on my big yellow ring and it pushes the head up against the band and scratches the head on the yellow diamond!!! I wear it with a little space between them and that really drives my nuts! And then they top it off with a big finger on the table!!!!!! I need to come up with a better way to deal with this- Maybe once you notice they are '' heading in for the grab'' you could take your hand and put it right infront of their face or something - I dont know......I just cant believe how rude some people are- I have had people say they should throw me down and steal my ring!!!!!! They are joking but Oh MY!!!!
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
OH MY is right!!! I had one lady threaten (jokingly) to cut off my finger and take my ring.......This was at my kids'' school PTA meeting!!!!!!! And my ring, while I love it, isn''t even that big.
That reminds me of a lady I used to work with, she always made a big deal over my ring (she had some gorgeous jewelry herself but wasn''t married at the time), and she used to say to me all the time: ''I''m going to steal your ring and buy myself a new car!'' I would just have this fake laugh reaction and say, oh you''re silly, but inside I was not only pissed but also totally freaked out! Who SAYS that?
20.gif
I did take comfort in the fact that she assumed my ring cost enough to buy a new car with, even if it didn''t, but I certainly didn''t tell her that.
2.gif
Ewww...Some people are just so creepy.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww that bugs me to no end. I told this story before. My hubby and I were having a quick lunch at McDonald''s. There was this lady sitting next to us at the table. I had on my Padparadscha ring and she leaned over with her greasy french fry fingers, grabbed my hand and rubbed my stone and asked what kind of stone it was. I nearly freaked out. ICK ICK ICK. I told her what the stone was, but then I got up and went into the bathroom and washed my ring. I was so afraid the salt scratched it. Of course it didn''t.
What a nerve grabbing a strangers hand though.
29.gif

Linda

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2007 12:16:59 AM
Author: Linda W
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww that bugs me to no end. I told this story before. My hubby and I were having a quick lunch at McDonald''s. There was this lady sitting next to us at the table. I had on my Padparadscha ring and she leaned over with her greasy french fry fingers, grabbed my hand and rubbed my stone and asked what kind of stone it was. I nearly freaked out. ICK ICK ICK. I told her what the stone was, but then I got up and went into the bathroom and washed my ring. I was so afraid the salt scratched it. Of course it didn''t.
What a nerve grabbing a strangers hand though.
29.gif

Linda
I hadn''t heard that story before Linda! Jeez, I think I would''ve had the same response, to just get up and try to clean off the yuckiness and overall vile feeling, lol! I can''t imagine being so unaware or so blatantly discourteous as to touch someone''s ring, especially if I knew my hands were dirty! But it kind of goes back to what DiamondFan brought up earlier in the thread about how people will just stick their hands in babies'' faces and let them suck their unsanitary stranger fingers....blech. I may have been raised on a farm in a small town but I definitely wasn''t born in a barn and was brought up to look and not touch.
38.gif

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 9:41:07 PM
Author: Shay37

Date: 4/19/2007 9:06:12 PM
Author: dianne
I don''t have my engagement ring setting made yet but I do have both an emerald and a sapphire ring that people love to touch. If they touch it I will wipe it off immediately, right in front of them, and I do it without even thinking until they ask me if I''m wiping off their fingerprints. Then I go Oops and explain I like for it to sparkle and shine. My friends and family know I hate fingerprints on jewelry so much that if they have a new piece, and I ask to see it, they wipe it off first just so I won''t fuss. My bf also touches my rings when we hold hands, but he really tries not to...but when he does he wipes the ring off on his own shirt...that always makes me laugh.

I saw a TV show about Elizabeth Taylor and I forgot who was interviewing her (Diane Sawyer, maybe?...can''t remember) and the interviewer reached out as if to touch one of her zillion carat diamond rings and she said, ''Now, don''t put fingerprints on the diamond''. I was like YES!... you tell ''em, Elizabeth!
Oh, hell no. I would not Oops or apologize or anything else. Excuse me, you just invaded my space by venturing into one of my pet peeves. I now get to whip my diamond cloth out of my handbag and clean it right under your nose with a raised eyebrow and a ''do you mind'' glare.

shay
Shay, this made me laugh out loud.
9.gif

Off topic, but is your avatar an actual pic of your eyes? Whose-ever (is that a word?) eyes they belong to they are a gorgeous color and I would love lashes like that!!!

KindredSpirit717

Rough_Rock
i didn''t know so many husbands/SO''s did this to our rings!! i guess it''s a man prerogative to want to annoy women, even if they don''t mean to and do it subconsciously (or maybe they only pretend to be unknowing)...hmmm lol...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results