shape
carat
color
clarity

Finger coverage - maximizing your budget

P

PierreBear

Hi PS Friends,

I've seen some beautiful huge stones on the forum and I know I'm still learning but I generally thought that ct size contributes to the pricing most. I would never have thought that anything above 3 ct could still be in the 20 to 30K range. What are the attributes that can make a diamond more affordable if finger coverage is what I hope to achieve? It seems like lower/warmer colors and antique cuts can help out with the budget. Any other ideas other than adding a halo as I'm not partial to the look? I suppose side stones cuts down on the overall cost too?

Appears more affordable than I thought:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/4-58ct-brown-emerald-cut-setting-opinions-needed-please.224156/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/4-58ct-brown-emerald-cut-setting-opinions-needed-please.224156/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/an-old-stone-for-an-old-girl-4-65-antique-cushion.176169/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/an-old-stone-for-an-old-girl-4-65-antique-cushion.176169/[/URL]

Adds to my confusion on pricing - Is this just more expensive since it is a MRB?
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/advice-on-buying-a-3-ct-solitaire-engagement-ring.163625/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/advice-on-buying-a-3-ct-solitaire-engagement-ring.163625/[/URL]

Thanks in advance!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently upgraded to a 3.33 ct (9.8 mm) GIA I/SI2, and I can tell you that you can find some really good sized stones in the I/J & SI2 combination if you have the time and patience to look for that very eye clean SI2. They are out there, it just takes some sleuthing! ;))

Also, add blue fluorescence to the mix, and that makes for a great deal on lower colored stones!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Antique cuts of the round variety are actually priced higher now than MRBs due to demand.

Fancies can cost less. Set a fancy with the longest side across the finger to maximize coverage - like what I have done with my EC and Marquise.

P

PierreBear

msop04|1468271382|4054486 said:
I recently upgraded to a 3.33 ct (9.8 mm) GIA I/SI2, and I can tell you that you can find some really good sized stones in the I/J & SI2 combination if you have the time and patience to look for that very eye clean SI2. They are out there, it just takes some sleuthing! ;))

Also, add blue fluorescence to the mix, and that makes for a great deal on lower colored stones!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts msop04. Yes I saw your beautiful upgrade in your separate thread and was blown away. You hit the head on the nail with your upgrade. Based on your strategy, you would generally get the stone first and then find the best setting for it? Instead of going to the setter like VC of SK and then asking them to search for a stone? I guess you can't ever find a good deal that way?

P

PierreBear

PintoBean|1468272300|4054493 said:
Antique cuts of the round variety are actually priced higher now than MRBs due to demand.

Fancies can cost less. Set a fancy with the longest side across the finger to maximize coverage - like what I have done with my EC and Marquise.

PintoBean - Thanks for sharing your thoughts. When you discuss antique cuts of the round variety are you excluding cushions. They are semi-rounded to me. : ) Still trying to learn all the basics.
Also, I would like to consider a step cut like the emerald or asscher but it seems like it would be more expensive since you have to go higher up in clarity and they face up smaller right? So you would get less finger coverage that way... I guess then that is why people add in side stones like traps/baguettes?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PierreBear said:
msop04|1468271382|4054486 said:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts msop04. Yes I saw your beautiful upgrade in your separate thread and was blown away. You hit the head on the nail with your upgrade. Based on your strategy, you would generally get the stone first and then find the best setting for it? Instead of going to the setter like VC of SK and then asking them to search for a stone? I guess you can't ever find a good deal that way?

My main priority was to find the diamond first. Since I knew I wanted a solitaire, I wanted the absolute biggest stone in a whiter color than my previous stone, and it had to be "eye clean enough" for me. In terms of size, I really wanted to try to hit the 9.5 mm mark, with hopes of larger, of course... The hard part was checking all the boxes AND being within budget. [emoji56]

I can't really speak for the vendors you mentioned, but from what I have read on the forums, IDJ is your best bet to find you a steal of a deal. I would imagine that SK and VC aren't really in the business to find those needle in the haystack type diamonds, But that is just my opinion -- I could be totally wrong. [emoji16]

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PierreBear said:
...I would like to consider a step cut like the emerald or asscher but it seems like it would be more expensive since you have to go higher up in clarity and they face up smaller right? So you would get less finger coverage that way... I guess then that is why people add in side stones like traps/baguettes?

Yep, that's right.

EC's and especially asschers are gonna defeat the purpose of a larger size AND blow the budget out of the water for the very reasons you mentioned above. Also, those side stones will cost you... Just another thing to consider.

If you're wanting size, an oval or MQ are gonna be a very nice choices... The downside is they can be difficult to find in a nice cut and will show more tint than the round varieties.

P

PierreBear

msop04|1468331352|4054707 said:
PierreBear said:
...I would like to consider a step cut like the emerald or asscher but it seems like it would be more expensive since you have to go higher up in clarity and they face up smaller right? So you would get less finger coverage that way... I guess then that is why people add in side stones like traps/baguettes?

Yep, that's right.

EC's and especially asschers are gonna defeat the purpose of a larger size AND blow the budget out of the water for the very reasons you mentioned above. Also, those side stones will cost you... Just another thing to consider.

If you're wanting size, an oval or MQ are gonna be a very nice choices... The downside is they can be difficult to find in a nice cut and will show more tint than the round varieties.

MSSOP04 - Thanks for being so kind to answer my questions directly and confirming my thoughts. Any pointers on the antique cushions from Old World Diamond? Just casually looking at the inventory, it looks like the price per mm spread (I too hope to hit the 9 mm club one day possibly??) seems like a good way to do it. Lastly, do you have any insight into the rings on the Jewels by Grace website? I know she has a specific webpage for consigned jewelry that you would assume would be a "good deal." However, for her other rings, I presume they are estate pieces and can be less expensive than perhaps selecting your own stone at a deal and getting it set? Just still trying to get the most bang out of your buck because even if I can afford a larger piece, it still seems like a luxury item that I feel a bit guilty about going for when it can be saved for other things... anyhow, I greatly appreciate your thoughts/guidance!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PierreBear|1468329971|4054698 said:
PintoBean|1468272300|4054493 said:

PintoBean - Thanks for sharing your thoughts. When you discuss antique cuts of the round variety are you excluding cushions. They are semi-rounded to me. : ) Still trying to learn all the basics.
Also, I would like to consider a step cut like the emerald or asscher but it seems like it would be more expensive since you have to go higher up in clarity and they face up smaller right? So you would get less finger coverage that way... I guess then that is why people add in side stones like traps/baguettes?
If you are looking for finger coverage, cushions can face up smaller for the carat weight than rounds.

Along the lines of what msop04 is saying, marquises and ovals are good bets. Pears. ECs can be good depending on the ratio of length to width. Set the stones east west and bam you've got finger coverage.

Here's an example - this marquise has these dimensions and carat weight:
Measurements: 9.68 x 4.56 x 2.52 mm
Carat Weight: 0.65 carat
While I'm a size 9, the hand model is a size 7
_4378.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, are you opposed to a halo or semi-halo setting?? Even a very fine halo can add TONS of finger coverage. Think about it... a very delicate halo of 1.5 mm adds SIX MILLIMETERS more coverage! That's 1.5 mm on all four sides, so we're talking huge overall look! Really, it's 3 mm, but on the sides as well! If you're in love with EC's, cushions, or asschers, this may be an easy way to achieve (and go way past) that magic 9 mm mark! [emoji7]

Edit: don't forget dainty airline halos like this one from BevK... It's one of my faves!!
5bca40bc1bb199ca60a0ff0d6ae8c74f.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let me see what I can find...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean said:
If you are looking for finger coverage, cushions can face up smaller for the carat weight than rounds.

Along the lines of what msop04 is saying, marquises and ovals are good bets. Pears. ECs can be good depending on the ratio of length to width. Set the stones east west and bam you've got finger coverage.

Here's an example - this marquise has these dimensions and carat weight:
Measurements: 9.68 x 4.56 x 2.52 mm
Carat Weight: 0.65 carat
While I'm a size 9, the hand model is a size 7
_4378.jpg

I agree with Pinto on the E/W setting... Can you imagine the coverage an E/W oval with a few side stones and a bezel would give you!! Oohlalaaaa!!! [emoji7]

I know this looks a little heavy, but just imagine it in a more refined setting...

043cd69f330b0077ce2b96b7cf876734.jpg

Disclaimer: E/W settings aren't for everyone. Be sure to try on lots of different shapes so you know you love how they look on your finger before committing. [emoji4]

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
PierreBear, a 3ct MRB round would still be in the high 20k-low 30k if you are okay with the I/J color range. Put a dainty halo around that puppy and you will get some SERIOUS finger coverage!
I'm not sure if you've already visited frankie's 3ct VC halo thread. But I believe this ring started somewhat of a trend here on PS!
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3-075ct-h-vs1-rb-diamond-in-victor-canera-emilya-halo-ring.181019/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3-075ct-h-vs1-rb-diamond-in-victor-canera-emilya-halo-ring.181019/[/URL]

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CareBear|1468343420|4054775 said:
PierreBear, a 3ct MRB round would still be in the high 20k-low 30k if you are okay with the I/J color range. Put a dainty halo around that puppy and you will get some SERIOUS finger coverage!
I'm not sure if you've already visited frankie's 3ct VC halo thread. But I believe this ring started somewhat of a trend here on PS!
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3-075ct-h-vs1-rb-diamond-in-victor-canera-emilya-halo-ring.181019/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3-075ct-h-vs1-rb-diamond-in-victor-canera-emilya-halo-ring.181019/[/URL]

I agree CareBear! And a GIA I in a MRB is plenty white -- trust me! A J is really pushing it, but would be lovely with some fluorescence and a setting to block the side view. I think an I in that size is gonna be very safe though...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With all the cosmetic surgical procedures these days, someone probably does finger liposuction.

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
1af0696ee106140da201a965b4625522.jpg

This is a .7 carat Marquise and the ring is a 7 1/2. Marquise face up really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CareBear|1468343420|4054775 said:

I have a 2.05 MRB in an emilya halo. People always ask me if it's 3 carats. I think the combination of my 2 ct having an excellent spread and the thin halo just make it look huge.

P

PierreBear

Wow, thank you ladies for letting me brainstorm. Since ya'll are so sweet and want to enable me and help me with this journey even though it is far in the distant, I'll provide some more details. Hopefully the pictures work as I'm not good at envisioning things unless I have an example in front of me.

Attached is a photo of what I currently have. Ideally I would like the upgrade to look different and to keep the original since I don't have the option to upgrade. Perhaps you can point me in the right direction given my various commentary and feel free to tell me if I'm on the wrong track with the pros/cons. I've been too timid to actually reach out to vendors to get an idea and not educated enough to know when it's a good diamond or not to really understand the general pricing + custom setting. Anyhow, I'll share some general feelings about stones/settings and ya'll can have fun in helping me explore a dream ring? Would like to stay under $30K for diamond and the setting. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Sorry the captions are too small. I'll retype.
First image - What I plan to wear on a daily basis. Or swap out my ering
Second row #1 - pros: cost effective stone; cons: seems hard to get the oval proportions right, not too skinny of oval and to find one without a bowtie
Second row #2 & 3 - pros: different from current ring in terms of brilliance; cons: overbudget?
Second row #4 - pros: contrast between two cuts are interesting; cons: overbudget?

three_3.png

P

PierreBear

OK last thoughts as any more combos just make me feel like I'm going in circles. Also apologies for not giving credit to all these beautiful PSers who posted their rings. I failed to document the owners but they are all so beautiful!

Solitare #1 - pros: different from current ring in terms of brilliance; cons: overbudget?
Solitare #2 - pros: love the facets, good for budget; cons: still too similar to current ring but try gold?
Halo - pros: good finger coverage; cons: not sure if I like the halo, particularly the side profile donut look

solitare__amp__halo.png

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PierreBear|1468353219|4054838 said:
Wow, thank you ladies for letting me brainstorm. Since ya'll are so sweet and want to enable me and help me with this journey even though it is far in the distant, I'll provide some more details. Hopefully the pictures work as I'm not good at envisioning things unless I have an example in front of me.

Attached is a photo of what I currently have. Ideally I would like the upgrade to look different and to keep the original since I don't have the option to upgrade. Perhaps you can point me in the right direction given my various commentary and feel free to tell me if I'm on the wrong track with the pros/cons. I've been too timid to actually reach out to vendors to get an idea and not educated enough to know when it's a good diamond or not to really understand the general pricing + custom setting. Anyhow, I'll share some general feelings about stones/settings and ya'll can have fun in helping me explore a dream ring? Would like to stay under $30K for diamond and the setting. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Sorry the captions are too small. I'll retype.
First image - What I plan to wear on a daily basis. Or swap out my ering
Second row #1 - pros: cost effective stone; cons: seems hard to get the oval proportions right, not too skinny of oval and to find one without a bowtie
Second row #2 & 3 - pros: different from current ring in terms of brilliance; cons: overbudget?
Second row #4 - pros: contrast between two cuts are interesting; cons: overbudget?

The only issue I see with any of these is that the settings have rather large side stones, which will eat a big chunk out of your diamond budget. Do you have to have 2 large side stones, or would you be open to smaller side stones and a similar look?

Maybe something like this with smaller baguettes to achieve the same look? For something like this, I'd get an EC with a skinnier ratio and build out the sides... that way, you could take advantage of the length, while not really sacrificing width coverage, KWIM?

ec_with_baguettes.jpg

P

PierreBear

kenny|1468349175|4054811 said:
With all the cosmetic surgical procedures these days, someone probably does finger liposuction.

LOL... well with an Octavia diamond, there would be no need for lipo right? : )

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, are you saying no to halos and/or bezels? I honestly think that's gonna be your best bet for maximum coverage. 8)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, so this is a project I'm working on right now. The gray spinel cushion is only 7.5 x 7 mm, but with the bezel and 3.5 mm side stones, it looks soooo much bigger without screaming "HALO!!!" I know your middle stone would be much larger, so you can imagine the possibilities! :love:

Here is a mockup that is pretty darn close to the actual proportions, as you can tell from the photo on the right (where the stone is oh so elegantly taped to my finger) - HA! ;)) :bigsmile: **please look over my horrendous lack of manicure** :shifty:

7_34.jpg

Isn't it amazing how much that skinny little bezel can add to the overall coverage??!!

P

PierreBear

msop04|1468354104|4054846 said:
OP, are you saying no to halos and/or bezels? I honestly think that's gonna be your best bet for maximum coverage. 8)

Ok great thoughts msop04! I appreciate you picking my brain.

Five stone - I don't mind the side stone being broken up into two. The setting is actually beautiful. Should I be considering five stone rings then? The only reason why I strayed away from the five stone is that I've found that some of them to be a little complicated in terms of all the shapes/sizes and unless the proportions were done beautifully, LM style, it seemed to take away from the center stone.

Halos - Hmmm... I think I've seen some halos on the forum that are amazing! However, I've seen some in person that don't excite me. Perhaps it's the workmanship? Or perhaps I only like the halo look if there is a contrast between a large chunky stone with a small halo on the outside? Otherwise, when the center isn't large enough and the halo isn't delicate enough, it seems like it is a lot of metal instead of diamond showing. Once again, I haven't seen any at a local b&m store that just made me want to desire a halo. I wouldn't mind that beautiful one in the pictures though?? hehe...

Bezel - I haven't seen too many examples of large stones set in bezels. There was one that I found that caught my eye though. Why does a bezel give the appearance of a larger look? Is it more of an illusion that draws your eyes to focus around the stone in addition to the actual spread?

cushion_bezel.png

P

PierreBear

First off, you are a genius with the tape. A resourceful woman is A+ in my book. Thanks for sharing your project and opening my eyes to the bezel look. Wow, your project is going to look beautiful. Are the side stones going to be bezeled too?

So combining the two thoughts together - perhaps go with bezeled setting and for the side stones to be broken up into two baguettes? Hope someone in PSland has a picture to share as I'm terrible at visualizing. : )

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PierreBear|1468354684|4054848 said:
Five stone - I don't mind the side stone being broken up into two. The setting is actually beautiful. Should I be considering five stone rings then? The only reason why I strayed away from the five stone is that I've found that some of them to be a little complicated in terms of all the shapes/sizes and unless the proportions were done beautifully, LM style, it seemed to take away from the center stone.

Halos - Hmmm... I think I've seen some halos on the forum that are amazing! However, I've seen some in person that don't excite me. Perhaps it's the workmanship? Or perhaps I only like the halo look if there is a contrast between a large chunky stone with a small halo on the outside? Otherwise, when the center isn't large enough and the halo isn't delicate enough, it seems like it is a lot of metal instead of diamond showing. Once again, I haven't seen any at a local b&m store that just made me want to desire a halo. I wouldn't mind that beautiful one in the pictures though?? hehe...

Bezel - I haven't seen too many examples of large stones set in bezels. There was one that I found that caught my eye though. Why does a bezel give the appearance of a larger look? Is it more of an illusion that draws your eyes to focus around the stone in addition to the actual spread?

It adds a very subtle spread, but on four sides, so it ends up giving a lot more than what you'd think. You could have the bezels very finely milgrained, and it wouldn't be as stark, blending into the stones... Bezeling is also a great way to accentuate the beautiful shape of a fancy cut stone. An asscher, EC with clipped corners, cushion, or pear looks amazing in a bezel, whereas the aspect of the clipped corners or actual shape can sort of gets lost in prongs.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PierreBear|1468354965|4054852 said:
First off, you are a genius with the tape. A resourceful woman is A+ in my book. Thanks for sharing your project and opening my eyes to the bezel look. Wow, your project is going to look beautiful. Are the side stones going to be bezeled too?

So combining the two thoughts together - perhaps go with bezeled setting and for the side stones to be broken up into two baguettes? Hope someone in PSland has a picture to share as I'm terrible at visualizing. : )

Thank you! Yes, the sides will be bezeled as well.

So what I'm hearing from you is your really wanting an EC or asscher (step cut center) with step cut sides, yes?

P

PierreBear

msop04|1468355449|4054859 said:

So what I'm hearing from you is your really wanting an EC or asscher (step cut center) with step cut sides, yes?

Step cut center with step cut sides - yes, if it fits the 30K budget and provides the coverage....I think that would be my first choice... don't hold me to it but sometimes I also feel that it looks oh too perfect and looks like crystal. Am concerned I might look down one day and think it's beautiful but do I like the brilliance of some other cut?

If not step cut, you really opened my eyes to the cushion set in a bezel. However, side stones would be lovely but I can't imagine the right shape that would give it a tapered type look and still have the focus on the center.

I'm going to ponder this over night! Thank you so much for all the guidance thus far!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PierreBear|1468353913|4054845 said:
kenny|1468349175|4054811 said:

LOL... well with an Octavia diamond, there would be no need for lipo right? : )

:lol:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PierreBear|1468356056|4054863 said:
msop04|1468355449|4054859 said:

Step cut center with step cut sides - yes, if it fits the 30K budget and provides the coverage....I think that would be my first choice... don't hold me to it but sometimes I also feel that it looks oh too perfect and looks like crystal. Am concerned I might look down one day and think it's beautiful but do I like the brilliance of some other cut?

If not step cut, you really opened my eyes to the cushion set in a bezel. However, side stones would be lovely but I can't imagine the right shape that would give it a tapered type look and still have the focus on the center.

I'm going to ponder this over night! Thank you so much for all the guidance thus far!

You're welcome, PB... I'll keep looking for step cut and cushion styles. I will say that it's a shame old cuts have gotten so expensive (i.e. in demand), because a chunky cushion in a bezel or halo (or both) would be divine!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results