shape
carat
color
clarity

Finger coverage - maximizing your budget

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh! I forgot to ask for your finger size, PB... I may do some photoshopping to give you a better idea of what coverage certain styles would give and look like on your finger. :halo:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ignore the way the baguettes are bezeled (it can be done more nicely), but check out the beautiful shape the bezel gives the center stone's corners...
eac8d40870806b33dc94c280a7c974c5.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few more ideas to throw out there...
88d7ae7f8e1dd0aaa21597f3221b0cc2.jpg
f5fefcc18cc972e684c4bdd93d1d381f.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
P

PierreBear

I always wish I knew how to photos hop. One day I need to take a class just for future jewelry or home project planning. Haha! My ring size is 3.75 and it is a little loose but I am used to it and will probably stick to that size.

Wow you really did your research on bezel settings. I am sure you must be getting close to finishing your own project? I can't explain it very well but I think for the bezel setting I prefer the solitaire look. I am guessing it would look strange to do a bezel center and some thing else on the side? My favorite setting so far is still the as asscher with the two baguettes on each side! Why would you recommend and emerald instead of an asscher for that look?

Whew, that EC you found looks amazing but I am not ready for stones yet. But I am still waiting for a big anniversary to be closer before getting the stone and deciding on the setting. Sweet of you to search but it does give me hope that perhaps a step cut with sides isn't completely out of the picture!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PierreBear said:
I always wish I knew how to photos hop. One day I need to take a class just for future jewelry or home project planning. Haha! My ring size is 3.75 and it is a little loose but I am used to it and will probably stick to that size.

Wow you really did your research on bezel settings. I am sure you must be getting close to finishing your own project? I can't explain it very well but I think for the bezel setting I prefer the solitaire look. I am guessing it would look strange to do a bezel center and some thing else on the side? My favorite setting so far is still the as asscher with the two baguettes on each side! Why would you recommend and emerald instead of an asscher for that look?

Whew, that EC you found looks amazing but I am not ready for stones yet. But I am still waiting for a big anniversary to be closer before getting the stone and deciding on the setting. Sweet of you to search but it does give me hope that perhaps a step cut with sides isn't completely out of the picture!!

The reason I mentioned an EC over an asscher cut is simply due to the asschers facing up so small… You would have to have a very large asscher cut to look even close to the size and oval or a round would give you in a much smaller carat weight. I also just prefer the elongated look of an emerald cut. Don't get me wrong, asschers are gorgeous, they just will not give you the finger coverage I feel like you desire... at least not for the budget you are talking about. [emoji56]

P

PierreBear

Ok I'm back at it with some more questions since bezel three stone might not be the look for me... but I'm still open to bezel solitare I think?!. Can you please help me understand why side stones wouldn't be a good way to maximize finger coverage? I would have thought that would allow you to get a smaller center stone if you get to add in the two side stones. However, you mentioned the size of the side stones would eat away at the budget too much. Though I was wondering if the angling of the side stones matters as well?

The top two pictures is a beautiful 3 stone ring from Grace's website. When I saw 3 ct I immediately thought the spread on the finger must be large, especially adding in the two side stones. However, it doesn't seem to cover the finger in her pictures as much as I would have imagined. Is it because the side trapezoids are angled where to set the center stone higher?

.02 cushion cut Diamond measures 7.86 x 7.74 x 5.56 mm
.80ctw of trapezoid diamonds

Trying to explain my question the best I can but the other two images below, it seems like you can see more of the side stones, which takes more finger coverage it looks like since it is set flatter. I hope that makes sense from my brain that is complicating everything. :wall: Thanks in advance!

angle_of_sidestones.png

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PierreBear|1468424636|4055114 said:
Ok I'm back at it with some more questions since bezel three stone might not be the look for me... but I'm still open to bezel solitare I think?!. Can you please help me understand why side stones wouldn't be a good way to maximize finger coverage?

Sides stones will give you increased finger coverage ON THE SIDES... they do nothing for the center stone, and I actually think they make it look smaller bc it won't really pop -- if that makes sense. So when you need to decrease the size of the center to fit the larger side stones into the budget, that defeats the purpose, IMO.

I would have thought that would allow you to get a smaller center stone if you get to add in the two side stones. However, you mentioned the size of the side stones would eat away at the budget too much. Though I was wondering if the angling of the side stones matters as well?

Yes, see above... angling the side stones will give less E/W finger coverage, so although aesthetically pleasing in some cases, it would actually decrease finger coverage.

The top two pictures is a beautiful 3 stone ring from Grace's website. When I saw 3 ct I immediately thought the spread on the finger must be large, especially adding in the two side stones. However, it doesn't seem to cover the finger in her pictures as much as I would have imagined.

It's because step cuts will face up MUCH SMALLER than rounds or fancies (ovals, MQ's, etc...) -- Carats are WEIGHT, not size. The step cuts (and some cushions) will carry a lot of their weight in the bottom, therefore facing up much smaller than others of the same carat weight. Period. ::)

Edited to add... Grace's finger size may be larger than yours, so please keep that in mind. Your fingers are extremely small, so most rings are going to look larger on your finger than on the model's hand -- that's a GREAT THING -- SO LUCKY!! :bigsmile:

Is it because the side trapezoids are angled where to set the center stone higher? .02 cushion cut Diamond measures 7.86 x 7.74 x 5.56 mm

It's because the cushion faces up smaller than other stones of similar carat weight.

Trying to explain my question the best I can but the other two images below, it seems like you can see more of the side stones, which takes more finger coverage it looks like since it is set flatter. I hope that makes sense from my brain that is complicating everything. :wall: Thanks in advance!

PB, I think the problem is that you want the look of 3 ct RB/Oval/MQ finger coverage with a 3 ct step cut or cushion... and that's just not gonna happen. No angling of side stones, black magic, or PS dust can make it so. ::) :halo:

I strongly suggest a halo solitaire of some kind if you have your heart set on a step cut or cushion -- which I feel like you do. ;))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok I'm back at it with some more questions since bezel three stone might not be the look for me... but I'm still open to bezel solitare I think?!. Can you please help me understand why side stones wouldn't be a good way to maximize finger coverage? I would have thought that would allow you to get a smaller center stone if you get to add in the two side stones. However, you mentioned the size of the side stones would eat away at the budget too much. Though I was wondering if the angling of the side stones matters as well?

The top two pictures is a beautiful 3 stone ring from Grace's website. When I saw 3 ct I immediately thought the spread on the finger must be large, especially adding in the two side stones. However, it doesn't seem to cover the finger in her pictures as much as I would have imagined. Is it because the side trapezoids are angled where to set the center stone higher?

.02 cushion cut Diamond measures 7.86 x 7.74 x 5.56 mm

Who said side stones dont result in finger coverage? Of course they add more finger coverage. Imagine you have a 1ct stone. That's 6.5 mm. Compare that to a 6mm stone with two 4mm stones next to it. They cost the same. One is 14 mm across and 6mm up and down. The other is 6.5mm by 6.5mm

You want the most finger coverage ? Get a marquise with heart sides. People don't buy those, and they face up large for their weight

If you just want a step cut, get the best one you can for your budget and don't worry so much about finger coverage. It's going to cover what it covers.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1468438989|4055201 said:
Who said side stones dont result in finger coverage? Of course they add more finger coverage. Imagine you have a 1ct stone. That's 6.5 mm. Compare that to a 6mm stone with two 4mm stones next to it. They cost the same. One is 14 mm across and 6mm up and down. The other is 6.5mm by 6.5mm

You want the most finger coverage ? Get a marquise with heart sides. People don't buy those, and they face up large for their weight

If you just want a step cut, get the best one you can for your budget and don't worry so much about finger coverage. It's going to cover what it covers.

I agree with Niel. If it's coverage you want, then buy gosh get you a fancy shape! PB, you have extremely small fingers, so if you could find it in you to try on some fancy cuts, you could get an AMAZINGLY GINORMOUS ROCK with that budget -- with sidestones if your so desire. :love:

...however, if you're in *step-cut-love-to-the-end*, then that's perfectly okay too! We want what we want, right??! :bigsmile:

This is what I suggest for you -- any of these:

- Step Cut solitaire in a halo (will give the least coverage of the three, assuming all the halos contain the same size melee)
- Step Cut solitaire in a bezel halo (will give the second best coverage, but ya gotta love a bezel)
- Step Cut solitaire in an airline bezel halo (my favorite and will give the most coverage by far)

I will post some pics in a sec!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PB, check out artdecolover71's amazing EC transformation! She wears a size 4, for reference... Her EC measures 8.04 x 5.32 mm. Check out the difference from a three stone to a bezel halo! And even a thinner style halo with no bezel would add loads of coverage.

d9cbe930166929422415a4f17a6af827.jpg

P

PierreBear

Thanks Niel and msop! I like finger coverage but can I dare say that something timeless, classic, and elegant is equally important as I don't plan on getting any other upgrades/bands etc after this if I'm a good girl? Marquise and hearts don't quite fit my style... and I don't absolutely have to have a step cut... so I'm coming around on the halo look.

My issues with halos might be resolved after taking a look at the beauty on Grace's website, which is attached. Progress right?
- some of the ones I've seen in person just look like a lot of metal going on but all the VC ones just look stunning. So perhaps that's a done deal if I just get it set by him. I shouldn't have to worry about the size melee etc just let him do his magic and I should be a halo lover? : )
- the side profile always seems a bit strange to me. Where is the donut part that everyone is referring to? haha.. thanks for bearing with me ring friends. Anyhow, I feel resolved with this issue as well when someone posted adding catheral arms on the side. It seems more balance and proportioned. Without it, just my opinion, it just looked a bit off balanced.

Question 1: What type of stone/shape and halo shape? In the picture, is it correct that this is an antique cushion cut but from what I've seen cushions can come in all shapes and sizes? I think I like a more rectangular looking like one which I've seen that Old World Diamond is a good place to search. Then VC can just pick the melee to match the shape of the stone?

Question 2: I might get slapped but sometimes I feel that rings can be too big, at least for daily wear. hehe. The one in the picture is too much for me at my current age and comfort level. Who knows if that will change. Going up from a 1.5 ct solitare, what would ya'll recommend in mm spread of the stone and then adding in the halo? I def don't want DDS to set in either so I know it's a balance that many people struggle with. After drooling over Frankiextah's ring, it still seems a bit too substantial and that's at 3 ct but perhaps the vintage cushion makes it more subdued with the chunkier facts. But I also like the contrast of the larger stone and very very delicate halo, which might be harder to achieve the smaller center stone you go.

Question 3: I haven't really seen any halos with a plain shank. I guess it just looks off to have so much brilliance and be distracted with the metal? I was practically thinking that all that extra melee on the shank isn't necessary but perhaps it's tried and true for a reason.

OK hopefully this is the last of it and I can put these idea into a dream box and be set on it until it's anniversary time. Thanks again for the efforts and dedication to this jewelry project that I can't really talk to anyone else about!

halo_question.png

P

PierreBear

I shouldn't even ask this question but should I even consider just taking my current 1.5 RB and resetting it with the halo? Not worth it to save on the money because I am partial to my current one and I might like it even less?

My gut reaction is the center stone vs halo ratio wouldn't look right if I like the proportions of the Frankie's ring and the one Grace is selling? It kinda kills me that I'll have two rings, which means just less wear per ring but maybe it's just nice to have two styles? Thanks in advance!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you tried on all shapes in real life?

P

PierreBear

Niel|1468442796|4055216 said:
Have you tried on all shapes in real life?

Yes but perhaps it doesn't hurt to reconfirm again! Thanks for making sure I've exhausted all options.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PB... If I'm being honest, I don't think you really know what you like because you're really all over the place -- and that's okay! ;)) You should take some baby steps first to try to decide what setting and cut combination makes your heart sing, what will look good to you on your finger, and what is realistic for your budget. I know it's hard bc you're excited, but if you don't think you'll ever upgrade or change again, then it's very important to get it right... and that can take a little time.

First, I think you need to try on many many different shapes and sizes (NOT carat weights, but SIZE...) to get an idea of what SIZE you feel looks best on your hand and what you can realistically afford in that cut stone.

Second, you need to try on all different STYLES of settings with the cuts you like best... from soli to three stone to bezel to halo - and everything in between. Take photos (to store in their own folder) and keep a little notebook of additional info so you wont get confused. If you find a style you really like, note what cut and size the center is. Settings can take on a completely different aesthetic depending on the center stone and/or the size stone with which it's set.

When you've narrowed it down a bit, come back and hash it out with us on PS -- it'll be less confusing for you, and you'll feel much more confident about your choices. We'll also be able to help you much better. :halo:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some other ideas with different types of halos.
773087fb77f30d4cd9a1265284c5e2ea.jpg
45922bf6c0dd2bbc77cde2707cabbb25.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PierreBear|1468442463|4055215 said:
I shouldn't even ask this question but should I even consider just taking my current 1.5 RB and resetting it with the halo? Not worth it to save on the money because I am partial to my current one and I might like it even less?

My gut reaction is the center stone vs halo ratio wouldn't look right if I like the proportions of the Frankie's ring and the one Grace is selling? It kinda kills me that I'll have two rings, which means just less wear per ring but maybe it's just nice to have two styles? Thanks in advance!

Frankie's ring is a 3+ carat round... you'd need a MUCH higher carat weight in a cushion or step cut to approach that size (think like 5+ ct in asscher).

I wouldn't halo your 1.5 -- it seems you really want a larger stone.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
just for fun, size 3.75 ( dont ask me why it looks so terrible) to demonstrate how the type of cut makes all the difference
a soli, one a 2.5 ct marquise, one a 3 ct asscher

fingers.gif

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel said:
just for fun, size 3.75 ( dont ask me why it looks so terrible) to demonstrate how the type of cut makes all the difference
a soli, one a 2.5 ct marquise, one a 3 ct asscher

Great visual, Niel!!

Here is a chart that shows each cut and how the carat weight coincides with the SIZE. Fancies will vary, so will different l/w combos, but it's a starting point to help you get an idea of what you'd be dealing with...
a1033b90f9c1745979f44934e99096b3.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Copying Niel's idea here...

These measurements are ballpark and simply from the chart. Comparing different cut 3 ct stones to rounds.

Hope this helps!! [emoji4]

b494241302e8a316c2d68f9f8d84bfe6.jpg
0101b8cda2d49389741398e9f7cb5637.jpg
9c98a94dfeeea839db4f367c5f2900b1.png

P

PierreBear

I appreciate the honesty and fully agree with my indecisiveness. I will do so more research and am thankful that yall shared the finger pictures. Never knew about that website before so I'll have to try out the different scenarios and learn more about the shapes and measurements. Have a great rest of the week and thanks again for walking in circles with me on this upgrade journey.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My AVC halo ring was referenced earlier in this thread. I like the contrast of a cushion in a delicate halo if you decide on the cushion cut route. Finger coverage from a halo is an added bonus!

img_12262.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PierreBear|1468336643|4054733 said:
msop04|1468331352|4054707 said:
PierreBear said:
...I would like to consider a step cut like the emerald or asscher but it seems like it would be more expensive since you have to go higher up in clarity and they face up smaller right? So you would get less finger coverage that way... I guess then that is why people add in side stones like traps/baguettes?

Yep, that's right.

EC's and especially asschers are gonna defeat the purpose of a larger size AND blow the budget out of the water for the very reasons you mentioned above. Also, those side stones will cost you... Just another thing to consider.

If you're wanting size, an oval or MQ are gonna be a very nice choices... The downside is they can be difficult to find in a nice cut and will show more tint than the round varieties.

MSSOP04 - Thanks for being so kind to answer my questions directly and confirming my thoughts. Any pointers on the antique cushions from Old World Diamond? Just casually looking at the inventory, it looks like the price per mm spread (I too hope to hit the 9 mm club one day possibly??) seems like a good way to do it. Lastly, do you have any insight into the rings on the Jewels by Grace website? I know she has a specific webpage for consigned jewelry that you would assume would be a "good deal." However, for her other rings, I presume they are estate pieces and can be less expensive than perhaps selecting your own stone at a deal and getting it set? Just still trying to get the most bang out of your buck because even if I can afford a larger piece, it still seems like a luxury item that I feel a bit guilty about going for when it can be saved for other things... anyhow, I greatly appreciate your thoughts/guidance!

If you are still interested in a OEC or antique cushion, contact Adam at Old World Diamonds. Don't let the prices on the website turn you off. He will work with you. You never know, and it costs you nothing to talk to him, tell him your budget and what you are looking for. You may be surprised how much you might like OECs, which have big flashes of light like antique cushions.

If you like halos, I would not hesitate to contact VC or SK, and save yourself the headache and take advantage of their one stop shop. You know FOR SURE that you will have a stunning ring at the end of the day, stunning stone and setting that all works together and flows. I'm no expert and I sure as heck would not want to have to tell anyone how big halo melee should be. :lol:

Both VC and OWD have a great upgrade program.

A bezel would be a great option, especially with on old cut. I love the pics showing the additional finger coverage.

Step cuts are gorgeous. I love how clean, elegant and bold they are. I would probably do a three or five stone with a step cut, rather than a halo. But I know for me, I would need a high color in a step cut, probably G or above, more likely F.

Have you tried all these on? What do you like on your hand??

P

PierreBear

M2B - Thanks for sharing your ring on the forum and letting me and others use it as an inspiration. It's a true beauty, showing the contrast between the chunkier facets and the halo. Do you wear this ring on a daily basis? You are my hero to pull off something so bold. My personality type is introverted and I don't like attention but I happen to love beautiful larger rings. haha!

LLJsmom - Thanks for chiming in. As inconsistent as my desires/comments have been expressed, I think there has been one continued thought. When looking on Grace's website where she does a great job showing off the loose diamonds, I enjoy the antique cushions the most. How it shines and catches the lights and is a bit subdued with mystery. However, when trying to achieve a look very different from my current solitaire, I was going off track and thinking that three stone rings would be a better way to go. For three stone rings, I like the step cut look but I only happened to like the step cuts if they are well proportioned and quite frankly of my budget as msop has helped me realized. So it seems like it goes back to the antique cushions... whether it will be haloed as lovely as M2B's ring but smaller version or bezeled in a solitaire. I haven't seen a three stone cushion ring that really made my heart sing.

So I'm going to research and try on different things as everyone suggested. I have an issue though.... the B2M store nearby me would be Diamonds Direct and Tiffanys. I've found that Diamonds Direct has tons of settings but they are all in CZ and the settings are generally too large for my 3.75 ring size that still didn't give me a perfect idea of whether I liked it. Also I learned that if I like the setting, there is only one setting holding that diamond size. So the only way to visualize is to put a loose diamond on top of that setting. I'm pretty bad at imagining the end product so this didn't really help me. Tiffanys actually doesn't have larger pieces in stock and I don't want them to ship something to the store for me to try on as I would not buy from there. So because of these challenges, I just thought it made more sense to discuss on PS but now I know that I need to have a better foundation or to get a refresher at least. I don't know how all you other ladies do this but I feel like trying on rings helps makes some progress but I feel bad spending so much time at the B2M store sometime knowing that I'm probably not going to get anything there. Any tips though on how to do it more efficiently? I'm also thinking about getting some CZs but haven't found a good website yet. I really wish I could try on a VC halo in person and perhaps that will be the plan one day. However, I'm sure he custom makes it and doesn't keep things in stock so even if I made the trip, there won't be a way to really give it a test run. I'm within driving distance to WF and BGD and though it was a good visit, I had a similar scenario that things are custom made so I couldn't get a true gauge of putting the real deal on my finger to experiment.

I'll keep at it though. Pictures and experiments and browsing and trying on! Good news is that I have plenty of time until the upgrade feels right. Still enjoying my current ring. Thanks friends!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PierreBear|1468468821|4055313 said:
I appreciate the honesty and fully agree with my indecisiveness. I will do so more research and am thankful that yall shared the finger pictures. Never knew about that website before so I'll have to try out the different scenarios and learn more about the shapes and measurements. Have a great rest of the week and thanks again for walking in circles with me on this upgrade journey.

No problem, PB!! I hope I didn't come across as pushy -- I just know how it feels to love so many different looks and how it can be a bit overwhelming sometimes... :halo:

I know you'll find an amazing ring that is just perfect for you! Hang in there! :wavey:

P

PierreBear

No ma'am. Not pushy and probably the right words that I needed to hear. I should be patient for the 5 stone ring to come in and see how that plays into everything too. Have a great one!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results