carat
color
clarity

Finewater Gems 30% off sale

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what did you buy? Code ICA30

Mods please delete if this isn’t allowed.

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
what did you buy? Code ICA30

Mods please delete if this isn’t allowed.
Help me decide on the oval purple or cushion color change (beautiful)
I wanted just purple , but color change...WOW....

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Help me decide on the oval purple or cushion color change (beautiful)
I wanted just purple , but color change...WOW....

Both gorgeous, but I do love that color change one

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for this heads up, whitewave. All the stuff I want are too high in price i like the .97 c t saph but there's another i wa nt :/

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
I mean another saph i want with a similar price. It's hard to type on a tablet :|

MidModMin

Shiny_Rock
I'm disappointed in how they set this sale up. There is one spinel I've been looking at for months, but can't decide whether I want to buy it. It was a certain price for the 4–5 months I've checked it out on the site. Now that they are doing the sale, it is listed for almost double that price.

With the 30% discount applied, the cost of the stone would still be higher than it has been normally.

Not sure if they did this with all the stones, but still.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Are you sure about this? Finewater Gems has a number of similar looking products. I know for certain that the 3 sapphires and 1 purple spinel I had been eyeing have stayed the same price throughout the year and were not marked up.

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm disappointed in how they set this sale up. There is one spinel I've been looking at for months, but can't decide whether I want to buy it. It was a certain price for the 4–5 months I've checked it out on the site. Now that they are doing the sale, it is listed for almost double that price.

With the 30% discount applied, the cost of the stone would still be higher than it has been normally.

Not sure if they did this with all the stones, but still.

My experience was well before this current sale.

I have a habit of taking screen shots of gems I like. Had done that with a Finewater gem and when I went to purchase I noticed the price had increased. I asked why & received the response that it was in regards to market trends or something along those lines. However, Gary honored the lower price as I had emailed a screen shot of the gem as priced. Just saying, might be worth an email to inquire...

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think they routinely mark up according to the recommended pricing every time a new guide is released. So it has nothing to do with marking up before a sale. This could also be seen as fair game in some ways, as he has to buy new rough at the current prices and he needs the money from the current sales to support that (yes I can see this isn't full proof but I am trying to find the other perspective in this. As I know small gem dealers can have it tough).

Over time the mark ups do stack up though. I keep looking at one of the alexandrites which has changed dramatically in price. For what it is worth the wayback machine archives the internet.

This is june last year and already you can see the 2.55 ct. and the 5.3 ct. were considerably cheaper then

https://web.archive.org/web/20180727035204/http://www.finewatergems.com/store/c3/Blue.html

Last edited:

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For what it is worth this is june/july last year (appologies if I dont get the date spot on, I am in a hurry to get out the door)

Screenshot_20190417-084346_Samsung Internet.jpg

v.s. today

Screenshot_20190417-084516_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20190417-084526_Samsung Internet.jpg

Probably other changes too, I am just a bit short on time so I grasped at the first one I saw. The internet is constantly archived by a number of different services. It is actually quite interesting intellectually to look through the changing records.

simurgh

Rough_Rock
i had the same issue that the stone I was looking at went up in price (not 2x thankfully!) - even if it happens regularly I'd guess this round of increases was tied to the sale.

On another note, I don't buy colored stones often, and have seen folks saying you need an AGL for spinels. As far as I know none of his stones come with reports, and the return period isn't long enough to get one. is that something to be concerned about?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i had the same issue that the stone I was looking at went up in price (not 2x thankfully!) - even if it happens regularly I'd guess this round of increases was tied to the sale.

On another note, I don't buy colored stones often, and have seen folks saying you need an AGL for spinels. As far as I know none of his stones come with reports, and the return period isn't long enough to get one. is that something to be concerned about?

My sapphire came with an AGL card

MidModMin

Shiny_Rock
My experience was well before this current sale.

I have a habit of taking screen shots of gems I like. Had done that with a Finewater gem and when I went to purchase I noticed the price had increased. I asked why & received the response that it was in regards to market trends or something along those lines. However, Gary honored the lower price as I had emailed a screen shot of the gem as priced. Just saying, might be worth an email to inquire...

Excellent info, thank you.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dealers can charge whatever they want for a gem. There is no regulation on pricing, even on synthetics. It’s much more difficult to ascertain the value of a colored gem than a white diamond because there are many more variables. You put a “GIA report - one carat excellent cut F VS2 round brilliant” in a search engine like pricescope has, and you’ll find pricing accordingly.

The colored gem forum is important because people can at least get an idea of pricing because there are many well educated consumers on this forum. I probably wouldn’t advertise a 30% off sale after marking things up substantially, but that’s a typical retailer practice, and it goes for just about every consumer product, from shovels to gems.

Gary is a well respected and highly reputable dealer here. The screenshots however indicate it’s always a good idea to haggle on price, no matter who you’re dealing with.

simurgh

Rough_Rock
My sapphire came with an AGL card
Thanks @whitewave! did the description note that it came with a report? the spinel I'm looking at doesn't say anything. I can't figure out whether to be concerned.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I find it interesting that a gem isn't selling at a given price, but the price is later increased. I would expect a decrease if a gem isn't moving.o_O

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I find it interesting that a gem isn't selling at a given price, but the price is later increased. I would expect a decrease if a gem isn't moving.o_O

Yes I have always found that part counter intuitive. I have no idea though how people place personal value on gems -- I doubt it is a logical process. And yes I have been using myself as a case study for the basis of this opinion :lol-2:. Sometimes I think the more they charge for it the better I think it must be........ I know my husband is laughing at me for this one.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I have always found that part counter intuitive. I have no idea though how people place personal value on gems -- I doubt it is a logical process. And yes I have been using myself as a case study for the basis of this opinion :lol-2:. Sometimes I think the more they charge for it the better I think it must be........ I know my husband is laughing at me for this one.

Not me. I’ve seen some awful overpriced gems, and some gorgeous underpriced ones, although the latter is much rarer these days. There are also certain gems which I think are horrifically high priced for even hideous specimens, but they’re marketed a. certain way, like they’re mystical magical crystals. I cringe every time someone comes on this board looking for such a gem. I will not say which ones, as to not offend. Likewise, there are certain gems that I think are a great value right now, but who knows how long that will be.

In any case, Gary is an honest upstanding guy. I think it was great he honored the lower price on that one sapphire, and people seen very happy with their purchases from him.

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
How often does this sale happen? Still want the .97 span but I defo can't afford it right now.

Curby311

Rough_Rock
For what it is worth this is june/july last year (appologies if I dont get the date spot on, I am in a hurry to get out the door)

Screenshot_20190417-084346_Samsung Internet.jpg

v.s. today

Screenshot_20190417-084516_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20190417-084526_Samsung Internet.jpg

Probably other changes too, I am just a bit short on time so I grasped at the first one I saw. The internet is constantly archived by a number of different services. It is actually quite interesting intellectually to look through the changing records.

Thanks for posting this. I was about to pull the trigger on a spinel and hadn't realized the price had increased so much. I do think a vendor has the right to adjust it however they need to according to the market but that increase was a bit more than I am comfortable with. He does have really impressive cutting so someday I hope to find the right gem match. For those that bought, can you share which ones you purchased? I'm curious to see what people end up with and what projects will be created.

MidModMin

Shiny_Rock
Dealers can charge whatever they want for a gem. There is no regulation on pricing, even on synthetics.

Not to quibble, but there are FTC regulations related to "fictitious" pricing used in sales, as raising the price of an item solely to mark it off dramatically for a sale is illegal in the United States (though how it is regulated differs on a state-by-state basis, I think).

That said, I do want to make it clear that my observation was about one spinel, only, as it was the only one I was following long-term. When the price was raised, I did think, "I wonder if this is going on sale soon...?" When the sale took place shortly after, it left a bad taste in my mouth.

However, It is not like I had been checking out that spinel literally every day for weeks until the sale started, so I am making no claims about when the price was increased or why, because I can't tell you precisely when the price hike occurred or if other gems went up in price, as well.

I don't want to assume or claim ill intent on the part of the owner and I think many of the stones at Finewater Gems look lovely. I do think the price hike is something to take note of, especially if it becomes a recurring pattern or more people notice the same thing, but I'm not calling for people to avoid the sale or anything, especially as regular Pricescopers are probably more price aware than I am when it comes to gemstones.

Last edited:
Reactions: T L

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gary is an honest person, so I don’t believe he would mark up to mark down for a sale. I do believe it was likely from market changes, which diamonds do also. You can set price alerts on diamonds to alert you when prices go down, etc.

I really think Gary would honor the lower prices if you emailed to discuss it with him (as someone else mentioned).

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have purchased several stones from Gary, and I've met with him a couple times when he's been out here for GIA classes. He is super nice, very easy to work with, and will give you a fair price--but he is a businessman, so he's not going to underprice anything. I would just talk to him about what the price was and what you expect to pay based on that price, then let him help you come to a price that works for both of you. It certainly can't hurt.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to quibble, but there are FTC regulations related to "fictitious" pricing used in sales, as raising the price of an item solely to mark it off dramatically for a sale is illegal in the United States (though how it is regulated differs on a state-by-state basis, I think).
If this is the case, it’s definitely not regulated at all. Going out of business sales are a good example. They often mark a price way up in order to give you that “magical” 80 to 90% discount. By the way, these comments do not apply to Gary.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I observe that some logically minded people are a bit idealistic in thinking how things should be according to the law, but a lot of laws are not really enforced because lawmakers' priorities are elsewhere. Reality is much different and also more nuanced than what the law states.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know the gem and jewelry shopping channels used to quote outrageous retail prices, and then say they’re selling a jewelry piece or gem at a significant savings. I think that was cracked down on because they’re obviously being watched by a gazillion people. A private seller or small retail outfit is not, and that’s where the problem arises.

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very useful conversation. The only person I follow closely is Yvonne and I've never seen her raise her gem prices once they are set. I really like the Finewater spinels, but will be sure to track the pricing carefully if I ever get serious about buying one.

MidModMin

Shiny_Rock
I agree that Yvonne's prices are very steady. I've spent a lot of time looking at Dana Reynold's site and find his prices steady, as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results