shape
carat
color
clarity

Finding an Asscher, being too specific?

thebunnybears

Rough_Rock
Hello

I am new to PriceScope and I really appreciate all the good advice I have been reading thus far. I wanted some input while my bf and I are looking for a 2-3carat Asscher cut diamond.

We have a couple issues, and maybe we can get some perspective knocked into us

We are visual people and we prefer to see a ring, Mounted, on my finger, BUT none of the stores we've been to (and we've been to LOTS in different cities in TX.. where we live) carries any mounted Asschers for comparison, which makes buying online difficult. I've seen video comparasions by GOG and looked through SO many forum posts but in the end, I need to see the Asscher, on my finger, in some sort of setting so I can get a sense of how the end product will turn out. BTW I"m a 4.5 - 4 3/4 ring size.

1) First question is, IS there an appreciable difference in the spread where an asscher really will look larger between an Asscher measuring in the 7.5X7.4mm versus a 8.0X7.7mm (so on the lower to mid 2 carat range versus higher to 3 carat range) We've seen loose stones but they look very similar and we're always told they look different when set. Plopping the stones on a setting doesn't really do it for me, it's all slanted and uneven. Can anyone tell us how appreciable it looks when set between the 2 sizes?

2) The other point is, between all the different sites and jewelry stores, we don't know if we are being too picky. Sarin Reports/ Ideal scopes are apparently hard to come by Everywhere we've asked except GOG, it makes me want to forgo it altogether. Should we even worry about a VG/VG versus EX/EX polish and symmetry? What about an "ideal" cut versus a very good cut? When we see these loose stones, they all look pretty good. No dark rings where light escapes, steps cuts are distinct, nothing we can pick out. So how important is a Sarin report? And Idealscope? I feel like we need this information to make sure we are getting a great cut and stone for our money, but if we don't get it, are we missing out? What's important is that I like my diamond right? =)

3) Does anyone have experience using Leon Mege for their loose stone And custom setting? What we are deciding on thus far is between Leon Mege and GOG. I know LM is known for custom work, that's all I read about... but what of their loose diamonds? Do They do Sarin reports? I'm wondering about the experience anyone has had with LM for helping pick out their stones.

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
Well, in May Leon had a nice Asscher for about $17,000. I am sort of in the same boat as you but I'm going to wait until the recent price insanity settles.GOG sure does make it easy to compare stones, but if you find a jeweler who is patient with you in your search, then that's someone to stick withh as you learn and go forward. Post favorite pics of what you have in mind for more help. :wavey:

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
sorry for the threadjack....

... I don't think the diamond prices are going to settle back down. I think they're being bought in bulk by chinese investors and if anything it's going to do this a few more times. LOL reading that it sounds like a conspiracy theory, but I'm serious! Diamonds are on the verge of a major awakening here and those in the know are stockpiling.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Cehrabehra|1309372824|2958180 said:
sorry for the threadjack....

... I don't think the diamond prices are going to settle back down. I think they're being bought in bulk by chinese investors and if anything it's going to do this a few more times. LOL reading that it sounds like a conspiracy theory, but I'm serious! Diamonds are on the verge of a major awakening here and those in the know are stockpiling.

This is NOT what I wanted to hear. I'm being very indecisive about an eternity band and while I procrastinate the price is going up up up! :nono:

Ok back on topic, I would definitely want an ASET of any stone I bought, particularly for an asscher. Step cuts just don't sparkle and throw fire the same as brilliant cuts, so if the stone is losing light somewhere it will really impact your stone. There a couple Asscher gurus around here that will probably chime in if your patient. Kenny is one and and Karl is another, as well as many others.

As far as the spread between a 2 and 3 ct stone, I guess it will depend on the cut. The difference between excellent and very good polish and symetry are going to be negligible, so I wouldn't panic if a stone that you love has vg vg, I really don't think that you or I could tell the difference and I'm under the impression that you would need a microscope and be trained to ever tell.

Your making a very big investment in a ring that you are going to wear for a very long time, so no, I don't think you are being too picky at all! ;)) Congrats and Good Luck. Post some pics of stones and setting that you are considering, that always helps!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
do you have a Tiffany's nearby? they only sell mounted rings as far as I know and you should be able to try on some different sized asschers. the rings will NOT be in your finger size though.

thebunnybears

Rough_Rock
Oh yay, I'm so glad I saw some reply posts! Hope everyone had a good July 4th weekend!

So Yes, we did go to Tiffany's, DeBeers, etc etc. We actually went to Two separate Tiffany's in Two different cities, but both did not have the size we were looking for.. and being from out of town, we couldn't commit to them bringing anything in.

I was starting to freak out a bit on my original post, shopping for diamonds was becoming too overwhelming for me. I guess we were trying to find the "perfect" stone, which of course is impossible, but I'm picky because I would never ever want to trade this stone in. I will wear it for life! The thought of that kinda left us overwhelmed trying not to regret any purchase.. any thoughts of, maybe we should've gotten a better color, lower color, spent more, no don't go overboard spend less!

On top of that... the diamond price increases has Really put us in a panic.. it's gone up twice on us now while we were in contact with GOG... just last week we got an email saying the prices they quoted us Before the diamonds were brought in will now likely be higher! It's only been a week! So we're really feeling rather anxious, and feeling like we should just pick one already. :roll:

We selected 3 very similar GIA reports, and had GOG bring them in.. you could find the video but here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szBEjvq_FII

Isn't it amazing how DIFFERENT they are, specs don't tell you Anything on a GIA about an Asscher's beauty!

We narrowed it down to Jonathan's 2.13 and our 2.5 H VS1 (3rd one). Jonathan's Asscher is clearly very beautiful with SF which I love! But I think My BF (and I to some extent) have become Emotionally attached to our 2.5. He's very proud of himself that he was able to find it and pick it out out of all the GIAs without my help.. plus the fact that I picked it out too independently of him. =)

So How does our pick look compared to Jonathan's??

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the 2.13 a lot, even though it's smaller.
I think the asscher patterning and light performance is better.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results