shape
carat
color
clarity

Find me a solitaire setting plz..... for a man.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After I bought an engagement ring, I really wanted to keep it for myself. Well.... it is with my fiance. :wall: :wall:

Now, I have decided get myself a solitaire ring. :dance: :dance:

My budget is $1000 (USD). The centre stone is going to be
Carat: 0.25~0.40 / 4~4.6mm diameter (I don't want a stone that is significantly larger than the thickness of the setting)
Color: K or above (I would even consider M and N. Color does not matter as long as light performance is ideal)
Clarity: SI2 or above (near eye clean. may consider I1 as long as light performance is not affected)
Cut: Ideal cut (no compromise here. 55-56 table, 40.8/34.5 combo, etc.....)
Fluorescence: VSBF preferred (as long as not noticeably oily/milky/hazy)
Price: $350~$500

That's leave $650~$500 for the setting, and this is where I need help.

I have a small hand for a man. My ring finger is 7cm long and the ring size is 7.5. Anything thicker than 5mm looks hideous on me.
That's why went with a 4mm plain platinum for my wedding ring. Most men's diamond wedding rings are at least 6mm in thickness; plus I do not like jewelry designed for men in general (too bulky, heavy, and boxy looking)

I imagine having a 0.3 carat H&M with VSBF, slightly embedded on this wedding ring, giving out white light face up, yellowish tint from an angle, and bluish tone under direct sunlight. I would be happy. :love: :love:
ring_23.png

3~5mm would be ideal thickness.

This is similar to what I am looking for
http://www.miadonnadiamondblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/29/kelly-osbourne-engaged-gorgeous-custom-tiffany-bezel-setting/MiaDonna_Custom-Mens-Bezel-Set-Wedding-Ring_Yellow-Man-Made-Diamond.jpg
I am not a fan of a thick bezel
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/tension/14k-white-gold-bezel-set-round-shaped-diamond-solitaire-ring-item-1704
I like rounded edge. No boxy looking like this one
http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aanc_prd/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-MHJ_Master/default/dwb89060ab/hi-res/11085195_1.jpg
Is this too girly?? I like the thickness. I like that the stone does not sit too high.
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/14k-white-gold-3.8mm-rounded-cathedral-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-1716
love :love: but cannot afford. no custom design.....
https://vimeo.com/9432287
I guess this is ok
http://www.tiffany.ca/jewelry/rings/atlas-closed-narrow-ring-GRP07521?fromGrid=1&search_params=p+1-n+10000-c+-1-s+11-r+-t+narrow%20ring-ni+1-x+-lr+-hr+-ri+-mi+-pp+600+2&search=1&origin=search&searchkeyword=narrow%20ring&trackpdp=search&fromcid=-1

I guess what I am looking for is something unisex..

Please please fine me a setting.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you want a bezel or prong setting?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JDDN|1450487728|3963301 said:
Do you want a bezel or prong setting?
I am open to all options. For a bezel, I like half or semi bezel. I just don't like metal completely surrounding the stone.
For a prong setting, a 6 prong setting is preferred.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, let me see what I can find. Hopefully others will chime in because there are some serious sleuths on this forum!

FWIW, I think a semi bezel will look nicer and be more functional since prongs can catch. I also think a semi bezel will look more "unisex" as you requested.

Also, are you planning on wearing it as a stand alone ring? Or will you wear it paired with your wedding band?

You are wanting the shank to be a rounded 4mm shank, correct?

And do you need help with the stone or you already have that covered?

Apologies for the barrage of questions.....

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JDDN|1450490079|3963313 said:
Ok, let me see what I can find. Hopefully others will chime in because there are some serious sleuths on this forum!

FWIW, I think a semi bezel will look nicer and be more functional since prongs can catch. I also think a semi bezel will look more "unisex" as you requested.

Also, are you planning on wearing it as a stand alone ring? Or will you wear it paired with your wedding band?

Yes, I am planning to wearing it as a stand alone.
Yes, I want the shank to be rounded and 3.5mm~5mm.

I am covered with the stone. Once I find a setting, I will probably get a stone from the same vendor. I would like this to be one stop shopping. I will do another post and ask for forum members' approval on stones I select.

Thank you for help!!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
flyingpig|1450491117|3963318 said:
JDDN|1450490079|3963313 said:

Yes, I am planning to wearing it as a stand alone.
Yes, I want the shank to be rounded and 3.5mm~5mm.

I am covered with the stone. Once I find a setting, I will probably get a stone from the same vendor. I would like this to be one stop shopping. I will do another post and ask for forum members' approval on stones I select.

Thank you for help!!

In that case, I'd try your luck with IDJ. They're in NYC but they could source you a great stone and they have access to lots of different settings. You could tell them what you're looking for and I'm betting they'd come back with a bunch of options for settings. I haven't worked with them personally but I've only heard stand out things from others who have worked with Yekutiel on this forum.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1450491895|3963332 said:
I'm thinking stuller might be your friend.
Here's one I found, fits a 4.1 diamond and they have a lot metal options.

http://www.stuller.com/products/120262/?groupId=4121&recommendationSource=productpage&recommendationType=recommendation&recommendationId=4085

Eta I see one of the links is the same. Lol.

The only thing is that the width is like 6.5mm and the OP wants it to be 3.5mm to 5mm, thus a lot of men's mountings are too wide. That's why I was thinking maybe IDJ could find something that fit his specs (and he wants to get the stone from the same vendor).

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A $650 budget will limit the selection of a gold or platinum diamond setting, but there are other metals.

I recommend a stone tension setting from http://www.boonerings.com/stone.htm
Bruce Boone works in metals that have mechanical properties for a strong tension settings.
I believe only diamond and sapphire are strong enough for a tension setting.

Tension settings let you see more of the diamond you paid for and easy access to the bottom mean they are a breeze to keep clean.

I've bought 3 settings from Boone, two in titanium and one in cobalt chrome.
His stone settings start at $320 ... which would leave $680 for the diamond. :naughty:
Bruce is fast, days not weeks, and a pleasure to deal with.

Here are some pics of our mens rings.
FWIW the stones are both Octavia Asschers.

The 1.4 carat titanium ring on the left turned dark after a few years.
The ring on the right is new, cobalt chrome, and holds 1.5 carat.
Bruce told me this is his whitest metal.

_846.png

_847.png

_848.png

_849.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JDDN|1450492288|3963338 said:
Niel|1450491895|3963332 said:
I'm thinking stuller might be your friend.
Here's one I found, fits a 4.1 diamond and they have a lot metal options.

http://www.stuller.com/products/120262/?groupId=4121&recommendationSource=productpage&recommendationType=recommendation&recommendationId=4085

Eta I see one of the links is the same. Lol.

The only thing is that the width is like 6.5mm and the OP wants it to be 3.5mm to 5mm, thus a lot of men's mountings are too wide. That's why I was thinking maybe IDJ could find something that fit his specs (and he wants to get the stone from the same vendor).
In the bio it says the 4.1 mm one would be 4.2mm wide

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hm, I defer to your sleuthing skills. This is where I got 6.5mm, I guess it's widest is 6.6mm.

Specifications
Weight: 6.291 DWT (9.78 grams)
Approximate Finger Size: 7
Metal Quality: 14KW
Shank Base Width: 3.63 mm
Top Height: 5.6 mm
Shank Base Thickness: 1.88 mm
Shoulder Height: 4.9 mm
Shoulder Width: 6.4 mm
Top Inside Span: 6.4 mm
Top Width: 6.6 mm
Plating Type: Rhodium-Plated
Primary Stone Shape: Round
Diamond CTW: 1
Jewelry Material Type1: Gold
Metal Purity1: 14k
Metal Color1: White
Primary Stone Size: 6.5 mm

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neil.
Thank you. I am looking for something more "classical" in design. In addition, I prefer a "regular" 57 faceted RB.

JDDN
Thank you for the suggestions. I may consider the last one, although the diamond look "buried" in the setting.
http://www.stuller.com/products/120262/?groupId=4121
The design is very similar to one I mentioned
http://www.miadonnadiamondblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/29/kelly-osbourne-engaged-gorgeous-custom-tiffany-bezel-setting/MiaDonna_Custom-Mens-Bezel-Set-Wedding-Ring_Yellow-Man-Made-Diamond.jpg

I will definitely check out stuller, uniquesetting, and IDJ.
I am not considering any pre-loved ring. Fun part of this project is selecting a stone.

It is so hard for men's ring, while I can get an elegant six prong knife-edge setting under $200 for ladies.

whoa.. you guys are help me so much...

kenny. yes. I am considering other metal options, primarily 14k white and yellow gold.

Thanks for all links. I will start researching now.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JDDN|1450492785|3963346 said:
Hm, I defer to your sleuthing skills. This is where I got 6.5mm, I guess it's widest is 6.6mm.

Specifications

Just click on the drop down for diamond size and select the smallest. It'll give you similar info on that size ::)

I'd strongly consider the continuum silver if I did a stuller setting.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
flyingpig|1450492963|3963348 said:
It is so hard for men's ring, while I can get an elegant six prong knife-edge setting under $200 for ladies.

It's probably a quantity thing.
Probably 1 man's diamond solitaire setting is made for every 10,000 woman's.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1450492421|3963340 said:

That asscher and that setting :love: .....so many options

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
I have always liked this one at Diamonds by Lauren. It is billed as unisex. I think it would look great on a guy with smaller hands.

dblunisex.jpg

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1450493005|3963349 said:
JDDN|1450492785|3963346 said:

Specifications

Just click on the drop down for diamond size and select the smallest. It'll give you similar info on that size ::)

I'd strongly consider the continuum silver if I did a stuller setting.

See?! That's what I mean by I defer to your sleuthing skillz!! Yes, I see now.... ;)) .

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This USNY ENR1844 takes a 0.35ct diamond and fits your width parameters, with a top width of 4.6mm and a bottom width of 3mm - and the design looks kinda like you initially described you wanted, like a stone is embedded in a wedding band... it is pretty sleek I think, and the shank could be more rounded by your setter.

http://www.uniquesettings.com/products/show/2610?from_style=1

usny_enr1844-copy_thumb_160.jpg

fyi: not sure it matters to you but I did not find this in the Men's Ring section; it popped up when I searched "Engagement Rings, Solitaire, round stone"

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
fyi: not sure it matters to you but I did not find this in the Men's Ring section; it popped up when I searched "Engagement Rings, Solitaire, round stone

lol.. it does not matter. I never buy any jewelry or bag from men's section anyways. i like this alot. But they only deal with members of the trade. I guess I need to find a jeweller who have access to their products??

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband has a ring by Bruce Boone, we Bought the ideal cut diamond from Brian Gavin, he shipped it directly to Bruce and we had the whole thing done in about a week. He choose the titanium. He's worn it daily for at least 4 years with zero issues. His stone is about .40ct I VS2 with MBF. His ring is a size 8.5 and we choose for the MM to match the MM of the diamond, Bruce can do anything!

panda_watch_and_ring_work.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like your idea! Just wanted to say that you want a width of 3.5-5mm, not thickness. Thickness refers to the height of the side of the ring.

I think it may be possible for ID Jewelry to just take a man's wedding band with an raised edge or milgrain edge and set a diamond into it so that it flush with the surface of the ring. Ask them.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asscherhalo_lover
I saw your husband's ring. Is this it? :appl:
sam_0505.jpg

I like this as well.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mens-titanium-tension-ring-with-0-41-carat-d-i1-round.159560/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mens-titanium-tension-ring-with-0-41-carat-d-i1-round.159560/[/URL]
This thing is so white..... Now I want D..... :wall: :wall:

The more I look at these, the more I like the simplicity.
Is a tension set equally reliable and secure as a bezel or prong setting? From what I see, the stone is held by the pressure applied from two sides. I assume there is a small "slit" on either side where the girdle can sit. What happen if you accidently "stretch" the ring"? And I am also concerned about the ring being accidently squeeze, applying excess pressure on the stone....

I was not planning on two-stop shopping (I am from Canada, so I want this process as pain free as possible. But I guess this is an option. I have emailed Boone Titanium to see if they deal with Canadian shoppers under NAFTA.

Thanks alot

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results