shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally took the pear plunge, many thanks to this forum!

speed3freak

Rough_Rock
Hey all. This site has been an invaluable resource in my quest to find a beautiful pear cut diamond for my soon to be fiance. I came into this 3 months ago knowing absolutely nothing about diamonds, and this site was an incredible find. So, I just wanted to give a huge thanks to all of you ahead of time.

I knew from past conversations that my GF really loves pear shaped stones. So, I began my quest looking for something between .75 and 1ct. I scoured JamesAllen, and I managed to get down to three stones, with one truly sticking out to me. Because I live in NYC, I was able to schedule an appointment to see the three stones in person at their 5th Ave offices. The service was great, and I would recommend it to anyone who lives nearby their offices.

After seeing all three stones, the one that initially stuck out to me wound up being the best performer in terms of the ASET images. It also had great fire and scintillation for a pear, and had no virtually no bowtie (which was odd as the 360 video on their site made it looks as if it would). The ring was ordered that evening, along with a beautiful platinum pave setting, and should be delivered this week.

Here it is: 0.91ct, F, VVS1
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.91-carat-f-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-1789763

Input is always appreciated.

Thanks so much for making this an easier shopping experience for me!

Dakota

Rough_Rock
I have heard of James Allen, but never read a testimonial before, so thank you for sharing. As a newbie to the diamond world fresh ideas are cool to come across.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks beautiful & I'm looking forward to seeing the finished ring!

My engagement ring is also a pear & it's no mean feat finding a good one. No matter how a fancy cut looks on paper, you really always need to view it in person to know if it's the one for you. Well done on your choice!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Post pictures when you get it! So excited for you!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! I have had nothing but good experience with James Allen!

speed3freak

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone. I got the ring today, and the setting and stone look gorgeous. BUT, the diamond looks to be set slightly crooked. The tip of the pear (when it is facing upwards), is pointing ever so slightly to the right. The bottom right prong is also slightly lower than the one on the left. Attached are pictures.

I spoke to James Allen and they offered to fix it with no issue, but my soon-to-be fiance will be traveling for work over a 2 week period after our engagement, and I do not want her to be without her new ring while traveling (and I am sure she wouldn't want that either). James Allen has offered to have me send in the ring when she gets back and they would either fix it or refund me for the setting and I could have it reset elsewhere. Which is fine, but still not ideal (how does this get past QA?).

The stone and setting both look beautiful. But once I saw it looking slightly crooked, that is now all I can see when looking at the ring.

I wanted some input from you guys as well. Am I crazy, or is it noticeably crooked?

img_9586.jpg

img_9588.jpg

EDIT: The stone does NOT look that yellow in person at all. It must be the soft yellow LED lighting I took the picture in.

Blingalingaling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! First of all, congratulations on your engagement! I think you picked a beautiful stone! Yes, I do see that the stone is a bit off-kilter in the setting, but maybe that's a blessing in disguise. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the prongs on this setting overpower the stone and should be less heavy-looking. I love the melee in the band, however, and I think if the prongs were made to be more tapered and delicate, the overall look of the setting would be amazing! So, perhaps if you choose to have JA reset the stone, they could also work on the prongs. Or if you choose to have someone else make your setting, you could have them give you prongs that are more in keeping with the overall delicate look of your setting. What do you think?

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So i can sort of see it in the pic but when i went to the setting page, your ring is one of those showing up and YES, i can def tell in the video. it would really bug me. And the prongs i agree are just way too blobby. while they are correcting the set of the stone, ask them to refine the prongs. JA is not great with prongs but if you request dainty prongs, they can do it.

https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...ite-pave-engagement-ring-flush-fit-item-56252

speed3freak

Rough_Rock
I agree with you about the prongs, as the "nubs" are a bit larger than I thought they would be, but that is not a game breaker for me personally. My plan is that once she gets back, I am going to send the ring back to James Allen, ask if they will be able to shave down the prongs while they reset the stone. If they cannot do it, I would be able to return the setting for a refund, get the stone back, and have a reputable local jeweler set the stone in a better setting.

Although this was discouraging, I have to say that James Allen has pretty outstanding customer service. Let's see how they do when having to fix this ring.

Blingalingaling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This sounds like a good plan! Keep us posted! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results