shape
carat
color
clarity

finally...the weather is hot enough for ice cream ....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
OMG you guys are making me hungry! I LOVE ice cream. We have a local place that makes the best turtle sundae with vanilla soft serve topped with chocolate and caramel sauces and pecans! For store bought you can't beat Haagen Daz Dulce de Leche (caramel). It is to die for!!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/10/2006 4:30:45 PM
Author: moon river
Mayfields. An east tennessee treat. Made locally. The best I''ve ever had. And of course, old fashion homemade.
18.gif
Hee hee, Moonriver...our locally made ice cream came from "Jiffy Treet." Note they couldn''t spell "treat" correctly. My mom (a Yankee, lol) always made fun at that! They did not serve grits, however, or red-eye gravy
2.gif
hee hee, I just had to interject that from our previous discussions!
9.gif

orangevixen

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/10/2006 1:52:10 PM
Author: Mara

oh and did anyone ever used to go to Swensens when they were little? we used to go to the one over in los gatos and i think there was one somewhere else too, pruneyard? and get their lemon custard, OMG that was to die for. sometimes baskin robbins brings it back for a summer and i am all about lemon custard all summer long. gotta love it.

Yes, Mara... I miss Swensen''s. their peppermint stick was always my favorite. I live down the street from the Pruneyard and I wish it were still there. Coldstone will have to do. I always get the sinless sweet cream and mix in almonds and brownies. YUM
3.gif

For any Bay Area PS''ers or visitors, it''s all about the gelato at Dolce Spazio in Los Gatos. I used to live down the street until last summer and I swear I probably gained 10 lbs from my frequent gelato cravings.

Also, if you ever visit Santa Cruz, Marianne''s on Ocean is to die for! I loooooooooooove their green tea and pistachio ice cream. they also have this amazing coconut ice cream. they have about a million different flavors, all homemade.
9.gif

OK, now i''m going to go blow my diet!!!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Breyer''s was always my favorite. I also like Edy''s and Hagen-Dasz.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Prefer Polar Bear ice cream in capitola over marianne's in scruz.

intensely dislike coldstone.

my mother makes the best vanilla ice cream.

gelato and sorbet pretty much anywhere.

movie zombie

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/10/2006 2:36:40 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
never been to NYC but if i ever go there i''ll be sure to try their mango
18.gif
reminds me of H.K.

Wait, Dancing Fire, where are you located? If in the Bay Area and you like that stuff, consider Marco Polo Ice Cream in the Sunset District of San Fran. Lychee, durian, mango, whatever. Much better than the stuff you find in asian supermarkets.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Coldstone is always the funnest place to go for icecream b/c they make those concoctions with the icecream folded around candy and topped with all sorts of yummy toppings...it's obscenely expensive for icecream and I can never even eat half of it, but it's fun to do every once in a while.

My fav at home ice cream is Cherry Chocolate Chip. Delish!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/11/2006 8:20:06 PM
Author: codex57

Date: 5/10/2006 2:36:40 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
never been to NYC but if i ever go there i''ll be sure to try their mango
18.gif
reminds me of H.K.

Wait, Dancing Fire, where are you located? If in the Bay Area and you like that stuff, consider Marco Polo Ice Cream in the Sunset District of San Fran. Lychee, durian, mango, whatever. Much better than the stuff you find in asian supermarkets.
codex57
i''m like 1.5 hr drive to S.F. .the next when i''am out in that area i''ll try some mango ice cream.
18.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/11/2006 11:58:13 AM
Author: orangevixen

Date: 5/10/2006 1:52:10 PM

oh and did anyone ever used to go to Swensens when they were little? we used to go to the one over in los gatos and i think there was one somewhere else too, pruneyard? and get their lemon custard, OMG that was to die for. sometimes baskin robbins brings it back for a summer and i am all about lemon custard all summer long. gotta love it.

Also, if you ever visit Santa Cruz, Marianne''s on Ocean is to die for! I loooooooooooove their green tea and pistachio ice cream. they also have this amazing coconut ice cream. they have about a million different flavors, all homemade.
9.gif

OK, now i''m going to go blow my diet!!!
went there today and had a scoop of mango ice cream.
18.gif

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
This is TEXAS and if you don''t like Blue Bell, well, get a rope!!

I love a big ol'' bowl with dark chocolate sauce and a handful of walnuts.

(yeah, Amy''s in Austin is pretty darn good!)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hot,Hot,Hot !!! anybody for ice cream ?
18.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
if i am going to eat ice cream and consume the calories, give me a rich good scoop of baskin robbins rocky road or something...if i am really blowing the diet then might as well eat some cold stone..yum yum!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Somebody hand me some Gianduja (chocolate hazelnut) gelato, for the love of all things holy!!!
18.gif

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i could go on and on about ice cream!
18.gif

For home, I love Breyers''s French vanilla, Reese''s peanut butter cup, or mint chocolate chip.

For eating out, I love Marianne''s in Santa Cruz (I was hoping someone would mention that one!) for their mud pie ice cream. I''ll have to try green tea and mango some time! I also love Gelato Clasico in Palo Alto/Mountain View. I usually get tiramisu there.

Oh, Movie Zombie, I intensely dislike Coldstone Creamery too. And Loard''s. Can''t stand them.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol Kim I love love love the Gelato Clasico in PA but the one in MV we REFUSE to frequent. the guy that runs that place is SO MEAN. he is always yelling at clients (once he yelled at a kid for trying to get closer to the freezer to see the flavors), and one time I went in there and got a scoop, and then changed my mind and wanted a pint, and they wouldn't put my scoop of ice cream into a pint for me and charge me the pint price since I had already paid...so I started asking why they couldn't just put the scoop into a bigger pint and then fill the pint and charge me pint price? It's just more ice cream for a few more bucks?! And the guy's son got all up in my face and was like 'you have a bad attitude' (about asking about ice cream?!)...so I told him he needed to take anger management classes (hee hee) which of course he loved...his dad practically had to hold him back
20.gif
....so anyway after that greg didn't want us to go there anymore since the guy was such a charmer, but the one in PA has the same exact stuff and the guy that runs that one is SO NICE. so we just go there.
9.gif

oh and the funniest part was that after i told the son about his anger management classes, he goes 'well, you can't have everything you want you know!! YOU'RE NOT A PRINCESS!'...which is when i just started laughing, and jetted off with my sole scoop of ice cream. so it's a total joke between our friends now that they are always like 'mara you can't have everything you want you know! you're not a princess!!!!'...greg says it all the time too. HAH.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2006 5:11:33 PM
lol Kim I love love love the Gelato Clasico in PA but the one in MV we REFUSE to frequent. the guy that runs that place is SO MEAN. he is always yelling at clients (once he yelled at a kid for trying to get closer to the freezer to see the flavors), and one time I went in there and got a scoop, and then changed my mind and wanted a pint, and they wouldn''t put my scoop of ice cream into a pint for me and charge me the pint price since I had already paid...so I started asking why they couldn''t just put the scoop into a bigger pint and then fill the pint and charge me pint price? It''s just more ice cream for a few more bucks?! And the guy''s son got all up in my face and was like ''you have a bad attitude'' (about asking about ice cream?!)...so I told him he needed to take anger management classes (hee hee) which of course he loved...his dad practically had to hold him back
20.gif
....so anyway after that greg didn''t want us to go there anymore since the guy was such a charmer, but the one in PA has the same exact stuff and the guy that runs that one is SO NICE. so we just go there.
9.gif

oh and the funniest part was that after i told the son about his anger management classes, he goes ''well, you can''t have everything you want you know!! YOU''RE NOT A PRINCESS!''...which is when i just started laughing, and jetted off with my sole scoop of ice cream. so it''s a total joke between our friends now that they are always like ''mara you can''t have everything you want you know! you''re not a princess!!!!''...greg says it all the time too. HAH.
That made me crack up, what a jerk!!!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
lol Kim I love love love the Gelato Clasico in PA but the one in MV we REFUSE to frequent. the guy that runs that place is SO MEAN. he is always yelling at clients (once he yelled at a kid for trying to get closer to the freezer to see the flavors), and one time I went in there and got a scoop, and then changed my mind and wanted a pint, and they wouldn't put my scoop of ice cream into a pint for me and charge me the pint price since I had already paid...so I started asking why they couldn't just put the scoop into a bigger pint and then fill the pint and charge me pint price? It's just more ice cream for a few more bucks?! And the guy's son got all up in my face and was like 'you have a bad attitude' (about asking about ice cream?!)...so I told him he needed to take anger management classes (hee hee) which of course he loved...his dad practically had to hold him back
20.gif
....so anyway after that greg didn't want us to go there anymore since the guy was such a charmer, but the one in PA has the same exact stuff and the guy that runs that one is SO NICE. so we just go there.
9.gif

oh and the funniest part was that after i told the son about his anger management classes, he goes 'well, you can't have everything you want you know!! YOU'RE NOT A PRINCESS!'...which is when i just started laughing, and jetted off with my sole scoop of ice cream. so it's a total joke between our friends now that they are always like 'mara you can't have everything you want you know! you're not a princess!!!!'...greg says it all the time too. HAH.
HAHAHA!! This story totally reminds me of the "soup nazi" episode from Sienfeld! What a riot!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2006 5:16:13 PM
Author: hlmr

lol Kim I love love love the Gelato Clasico in PA but the one in MV we REFUSE to frequent. the guy that runs that place is SO MEAN. he is always yelling at clients (once he yelled at a kid for trying to get closer to the freezer to see the flavors), and one time I went in there and got a scoop, and then changed my mind and wanted a pint, and they wouldn''t put my scoop of ice cream into a pint for me and charge me the pint price since I had already paid...so I started asking why they couldn''t just put the scoop into a bigger pint and then fill the pint and charge me pint price? It''s just more ice cream for a few more bucks?! And the guy''s son got all up in my face and was like ''you have a bad attitude'' (about asking about ice cream?!)...so I told him he needed to take anger management classes (hee hee) which of course he loved...his dad practically had to hold him back
20.gif
....so anyway after that greg didn''t want us to go there anymore since the guy was such a charmer, but the one in PA has the same exact stuff and the guy that runs that one is SO NICE. so we just go there.
9.gif

oh and the funniest part was that after i told the son about his anger management classes, he goes ''well, you can''t have everything you want you know!! YOU''RE NOT A PRINCESS!''...which is when i just started laughing, and jetted off with my sole scoop of ice cream. so it''s a total joke between our friends now that they are always like ''mara you can''t have everything you want you know! you''re not a princess!!!!''...greg says it all the time too. HAH.
HAHAHA!! This story totally reminds me of the ''soup nazi'' from Sienfeld! What a riot!
TOTALLY. That is soooo how it felt when we would go there. Every time we were there and it was packed, the guy would always end up telling someone off or yelling at someone...and Greg and I would kind of just look at each other and then look away, since we wanted the gelato so badly..because it was so good.
3.gif
But after that whole thing he was like we are not going there anymore!!!! So I was really happy to find that the PA had great management and the same stuff, since we loved their gelato. Honestly, I wondered how the MV place stays in business, it''s their fab gelato for sure and NOT the customer service! And there are only a few great gelato places around here so I think people just get desperate. hehee.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Graeter's ice cream is my favorite. Next i love United dairy farmers. Both are local in Cincinnati, Oh so I don't get them very often
39.gif
. We've got a creamy whip place a few blocks away that we go and get cones or banana splits from every once in a while. I'll still like choc. chip cookies or brownies for dessert even if it hot outside
18.gif

hubby's favorite: black rasberry chip
18.gif
18.gif
and mocha chip for me
18.gif

blackras.jpg
mocha_chocolate_chip.jpg

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I second Graeters. We order Peppermint online but you can only get it in November and December (thankfully for my waistline).

The best ice cream I ever had was at a dairy in State College, PA visiting my sister.

My current ice cream vice is Starbucks Mud Pies. Chocolate cookie, coffee ice cream covered in chocolate. OH MY GOD. They are so good it should be against the law. Hard to lose my last five pounds with those evil things around.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just had a big, DELICIOUS 0.99-cent scoop of Chocolate Malted Crunch by Thrifty from the Rite Aid store downstairs. (I''m at my office in downtown Oakland) MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/24/2006 6:41:13 PM
Author: KristyDarling
I just had a big, DELICIOUS 0.99-cent scoop of Chocolate Malted Crunch by Thrifty from the Rite Aid store downstairs. (I''m at my office in downtown Oakland) MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Kristy, I think we''re only about 10 blocks or so from each other!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara, I had no idea the one in MV had such terrible management and service! I've only been there once; all the other times I went to the one in PA. I'll stick with PA then! I can't believe they'd act like that--they must think they can get away with it because everyone likes gelato so much.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had no idea the GC in MV had such a reputation! It''s the one close to our house so that''s why we go. And there''s always a line down the block. But the Gianduja is heavenly.
18.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Allison those Starbucks things sound evil. I ADORE Its Its...they are a local company so I don''t know if they are Nationwide but YUM. They are vanilla ice cream (but they do have hard to find ones that are mint chocolate chip or coffee ice cream too but I RARELY find those anywhere) sandwiched inbetween two chocolate covered oatmeal cookes...they are SO DIVINE. The combo of ice cream, oatmeal and chocolate is just insane. I adore them. And they are like 20g of fat for one..yikes! hehee.
30.gif
I hardly ever get them because I would eat them all in 2 days.
39.gif

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
OOH, I agree with Cold Stone Creamery. I love their raspberry flavor.

I''m from Wisconsin, and frozen custard is big up there. That''s my all-time favorite "ice-cream"!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
dbl fudge brownie

dbl fudge.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
girls be careful !!! look out for those extra thick girdle.
31.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
My favorites:

1. Cashew Caramel - made by Sullivan''s (a local creamery).
2. Cinnamon Almond Crunch - used to get it at Baskin Robbins and can''t find it anymore - WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
3. Pumpkin Ice Cream by Double Rainbow.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

one time I went in there and got a scoop, and then changed my mind and wanted a pint, and they wouldn't put my scoop of ice cream into a pint for me and charge me the pint price since I had already paid...so I started asking why they couldn't just put the scoop into a bigger pint and then fill the pint and charge me pint price? It's just more ice cream for a few more bucks?! And the guy's son got all up in my face and was like 'you have a bad attitude' (about asking about ice cream?!)...so I told him he needed to take anger management classes (hee hee) which of course he loved...

oh and the funniest part was that after i told the son about his anger management classes, he goes 'well, you can't have everything you want you know!! YOU'RE NOT A PRINCESS!'...
I can match that story.

Friends and I were at the beach - decided to get soft serve ice cream. I saw that they had ORANGE softserve, so I'm PSYCHED. I order orange softserve with hot fudge. Little belligerent snotty teenage chick says "you can't get hot fudge with orange; only with choc or vanilla." Why not? "That's how it comes."

OK....I'm game. I'm resourceful. I order a dish of orange soft serve with a side of hot fudge. "We can't do that - we don't sell fudge as a side." Ok, she's trying my patience. I'm getting the feeling she's full of crap now, and she's just giving me a hard time....so now I'm adamant that I'm getting what I'm asking for.

I say "Ok. I'd like a dish of orange soft serve, and I'd like a hot fudge sundae with no ice cream, no nuts, and no whipped cream." Are you seriously ready for this? She says "I can't do that.....it's AGAINST OUR POLICY to serve a hot fudge sundae without everything in it."

Now I KNOW she's full of crap - tell me WHAT ice cream shop you've EVER been to actually has a POLICY about what HAS to go into the hot fudge sundae??!! Yep......she's decided to be a bitch for the sake of it now, and now I'm steaming mad.
29.gif
I ask for the manager. My friends watch in absolute fascination, anticipating the train wreck that is sure to come.

I explain the whole thing to the manager; she says "why would you want to pay for an entire hot fudge sundae and not get anything?" I say, "because that's the only way I can get the hot fudge that I've been politely asking for. I can accept that you won't sell hot fudge on orange, and I can even buy that you don't sell sides of hot fudge. BUT, this girl actually had the nerve to tell me you have a policy against selling hot fudge sundaes without the ice cream. NO WAY I'm buying that; I KNOW this is BS, and I'm willing to PAY for the entire sundae." Manager looks at the little chickadee and tells her to make me a hot fudge sundae with no nuts, ice cream or whipped cream.
9.gif
31.gif
31.gif

The teenaged girl does so GRUDGINGLY, and pushes it onto the counter. I pay for everything, sweetly thank the manager for her help and float HER a mammoth tip. I stepped back away from the counter staying right in front of the window, stood right in front of the little chick, made a HUGE production out of pouring the hot fudge onto my orange soft serve, took a big ole bite, and said loudly "MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM......that's the best orange softserve I've EVER had."
11.gif
11.gif

My friends were dying laughing, and I'm legendary now for the "orange ice cream with chocolate" story.
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results