shape
carat
color
clarity

finally...the weather is hot enough for ice cream ....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what is your flavor?
18.gif
what brand? or maybe a locally owned parlor in your town?
20.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My American BF, I can get to a Baskin Robbins and I have a banana split with Rocky Road, Pistachio Almond and Caramel Ribbon with hot fudge, caramel and marshmallow sauce, cream, nuts and cherries and I eat it ALL, actually I could eat TWO oink oink!
41.gif
This is why I am always dieting
39.gif

What is your flavour and brand?

DIAMOND*QUEST

Shiny_Rock
My favorite place is in Austin, Texas. Called Amy''s Ice Cream. This parlor beats any ice cream I''ve ever eaten anywhere and my favorite flavor is their Pecan Pie. I believe they have a store also in San Antonio.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chocolate ice cream with peanut butter swirl! Baskin Robbins was my favorite until just recently (they use cheap peanut butter and it''s a little grainy and salty -- perfect to offset the sweet smoothness of the chocolate ice cream), but a few weeks ago I discovered that Ben and Jerry''s is doing a chocolate/peanut butter swirl too, which was quite good. I''ll have to do some more extensive testing to decide which one is the best!!!
2.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite brand to eat at home is Breyer''s. I love the natural vanilla "with real vanilla bean specks." I used to eat it with my dad when I was a kid...we went through a whole phase of putting Magic Shell topping on it for a while (the chocolate syrup that hardens after it sits on the ice cream for a minute).

Fortunately for my figure, I am not a huge ice cream fan anymore. When I visit my parents we sometimes stop for a double scoop on a sugar cone at Jiffy Treet in southern IN. Strawberry or mint chocolate chip are my favorites there.

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
OHH, I love Breyer''s natural vanilla and french vanilla for home. If anyone is in NYC, the BEST BEST BEST place for ice cream is Chinatown Ice Cream Factory. They make their ice creams in house using fresh fruits and have some awesome flavors. I highly suggest a half scoop of lychee and half scoop of mango! They sometimes do specials on crazy flavors as well...I think the oddest I''ve seen is wasabi ice cream!

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
When I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area, Double Rainbow was my favorite. Here in San Diego, where it''s warm enough for ice cream every day
31.gif
a Caravel/Cinnabon shop just opened a few blocks from my home, and I stopped in there with my girls. I had Chocolate Peanut Butter swirl, and I was surprised how good it was . . . but usually, in deference to our diets, we go to Golden Spoon Frozen Yogurt. If I''m in the area, there is a specialty ice cream shop on the coast highway in Encinitas that sells gelato-style ice cream in boutique flavors, such as cinnamon, amaretto, etc and it is absolutely yummy. If I''m at the grocery store Haagen-Das (vanilla with chocolate covered almonds) or Ben & Jerry''s (anything will do with chocolate in it).

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have a gelato place nearby and nothing, absolutely nothing beats the Gianduja flavor (chocolate hazelnut). But I got an ice cream/frozen yogurt maker for the wedding and 2.5 years later still haven''t used it, so I think this is the year to start making our own.
2.gif

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/10/2006 10:21:32 AM
Author: FireGoddess
But I got an ice cream/frozen yogurt maker for the wedding and 2.5 years later still haven''t used it, so I think this is the year to start making our own.
2.gif

We''ve always had one of those Krups makers that you have to freeze the core--I''ve never really enjoyed using it. But THIS year we went way overboard and bought a Lussino ice cream maker (they are about a billion dollars) but they are the hands'' down best. It makes the best ice cream I have ever ever eaten. The reason it is expensive is that it has its own refridgerator mechanism, so you literally plug it in, put the cream mixture in, turn it on, and it''s done in thirty minutes. It''s gorgeous too, made of stainless steel, but weighs about 40 lbs.Even our ice cream obsessed brother-in-law concurs that it is the best. And one day we had a totally impromtpu dinner for ten people, and I threw a honey and lemon mixture into it and 30 minutes later we were eating honey lemon sorbet....

Anyway, if you can''t wait to get to the parlor, I''d recommend a splurge of your own
2.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wallermama, it sounds like the ones they have in kitchen stadium on Iron Chef (Food Network show). Is it like those? Have you seen those? I have the kind where you have to freeze the core. I think the problem is that I don''t just freeze the core all the time in case I want to make some. Usually when I want it I''m like dammit - the whole ice cream maker is under the counter and the core isn''t frozen!

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
I haven''t seen that show for awhile, but it looks like this...

Attachments

• lussino.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 516

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
Blue Bell''s Moolenium Chocolate is pretty good.

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock
My favorites: Baskin Robbins, Mississippi Mud!

wallermama - your ice cream maker sounds wonderful! Now here''s an important question - is it messy? Or tough to clean up?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Baskin Robbin''s Gold medal ribbon, yummmmm
18.gif

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Love love love love Edy''s Light ice cream! (slow churned)
It''s great, I don''t miss the fat at all. It doesn''t taste light at all, or have light mouthfeel.
It doesn''t make me feel guilty eating it.
Edy''s Light Caramel Delight ice cream has 3.5 g of fat per serving - whereas Haagen Dazs'' Dulce De Leche has 17g, even the HD light Dulce has 7g.

DF - what do you mean finally the weather is hot enough for ice cream?
In New England we eat ice cream all year round, even in the dead of winter - more than any other part of the country (if memory serves.)

Scintillating...

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I really like Coldstone Creamery & Leatherby''s for going out. From the store I dont care what brand or flavor it is I will eat it.
18.gif

njc

Brilliant_Rock
I love Cold Stone, but recently we discovered Kaleidascoops... flavors like Cold Stone, but half the price! Its way too close to our house too...

My hometown has a frozen custard place called Carl''s. Tiny little ice cream stand with 3 flavors, so simple and so tasty!!! LOVE their pineapple milkshakes and maple nut sundaes!
18.gif

At home... Ill eat anything! We really enjoy the Edy''s Slow-churn flavors... Somoa Cookie ice cream totally rocks!

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
When I''m not churnin'' my own, I love Bud''s ice cream, but I think it is local to the Bay Area. Double Rainbow too.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
we got an ice cream maker for our engagement and i have so never used it. i'm an ice cream loser i know. i love the IDEA of it but i just never get around to it.

i love ice cream as does greg, but we don't eat it much. we only keep vanilla in the house for putting on things like apple pie or making root beer floats (yum!) but we don't eat it very often at all. i am always throwing out a 1/2 full one after it grows ice.

in terms of going out to get ice cream, i adore cold stone creamery, i get the sweet cream and the coffee ice creams mixed and put one brownie in, absolutely divine. we also love baskin robbins, in the summer when they have their 2 quarts for $6 special, i typically get rocky road and another one like coffee or jamoca almond fudge, we love all of those and mint chocolate chip. but again, try not to keep it in the house or else i would be vacuuming it down daily!! i grew up eating ice cream at baskin robbins, my mom has a huge sweet tooth so we were always eating ice cream in the house and always making trips to get it. good thing we played outside alot and were super active or i'm sure we'd have been chunky little children!

oh and did anyone ever used to go to Swensens when they were little? we used to go to the one over in los gatos and i think there was one somewhere else too, pruneyard? and get their lemon custard, OMG that was to die for. sometimes baskin robbins brings it back for a summer and i am all about lemon custard all summer long. gotta love it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/10/2006 4:41:43 AM
Author: Lorelei
My American BF, I can get to a Baskin Robbins and I have a banana split with Rocky Road, Pistachio Almond and Caramel Ribbon with hot fudge, caramel and marshmallow sauce, cream, nuts and cherries and I eat it ALL, actually I could eat TWO oink oink!
41.gif
This is why I am always dieting
39.gif

What is your flavour and brand?
pistachio almond fudge.
18.gif
there''s this little family owned parlor in town thats been in business since the 50''s. been going there since first grade when it was 15 cents a scoop
20.gif
. the last time i went there it was $1.85 for a very small scoop.
29.gif
inflation?
20.gif

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I hate being lactose intolerant. But, I eat ice cream anyways and just suffer the consequences.

I guess I like Baskin Robbins the best, even tho it''s pretty artificial tasting. However, my favorite thing in the world is that Good Humor ice cream bar usually sold in the ice cream trucks. It''s like a strawberry shortcake popsicle. Strawberry ice cream in the middle (sometimes surrounded by vanilla), coated with a layer of sweet bread crumbs in pink and white. I can never find them in stores. Very frustrating. I''ve found the chocolate version, but never the strawberry. I just found a reasonable copy at Walmart from another brand, but it''s not as good.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/10/2006 1:48:46 PM
Author: wallermama
When I''m not churnin'' my own, I love Bud''s ice cream, but I think it is local to the Bay Area. Double Rainbow too.
It''s been YEARS since I had Bud''s, I''d forgotten all about it, but I agree, it''s the best!

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
mmm.... I love ice cream. DH and I have a local favorite in SF, Joe''s Ice Cream. Family owned place... they have the best toasted almond... and I love rainbow sherbert.
9.gif

We love Joe''s so much we served it at our wedding instead of cake - 4 huge tubs of ice cream were devoured!! OMG!! I thought it would be too much, they told us each tub serves 50-75 scoops, and we only had around 150 ppl... we didn''t count on everyone getting like 3 or 4 scoops each!!
3.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha flopkins you said something that cracked me up re 3-4 scoops each.

because i grew up in an ice cream household...we always had it for after dinner or whatever. a normal serving of ice cream for us was like 3-4 scoops. large ones.
5.gif

so anyway i always served myself ice cream like that. i remember when my ex and i started dating, i would serve him ice cream and he was always like wow that''s alot. i just thought since he wasn''t into sweets much he had a skewed perspective of a normal serving size.
9.gif
but then when greg and i started dating i was serving us ice cream and i gave him his bowl and he is like holy crap why did you give me so much! i was all uhh that''s normal? and he said no 1-2 scoops is normal, this is like a supersize! so then i was like HMMMM and it got me to thinking. i was like okay at the store they give you 1 scoop or 2 scoops, a big serving is 3-4 scoops in a sundae or something.
5.gif
then i had the big realization...omg i eat alot of ice cream! it was pretty funny...how you are raised doing something and do it all your life and then you realize that it''s kind of odd. but i still love my 3-4 scoops of ice cream!! and now if i give greg 1-2 he is like why do i have the small bowl? so now he is doing it too.
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/10/2006 9:47:39 AM
Author: scarlet16
OHH, I love Breyer''s natural vanilla and french vanilla for home. If anyone is in NYC, the BEST BEST BEST place for ice cream is Chinatown Ice Cream Factory. They make their ice creams in house using fresh fruits and have some awesome flavors. I highly suggest a half scoop of lychee and half scoop of mango! They sometimes do specials on crazy flavors as well...I think the oddest I''ve seen is wasabi ice cream!
never been to NYC but if i ever go there i''ll be sure to try their mango
18.gif
reminds me of H.K.

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/10/2006 2:36:40 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
never been to NYC but if i ever go there i''ll be sure to try their mango
18.gif
reminds me of H.K.
DF - never been to NYC?!?!?!?!?!?!!!?! You must come for a visit - you know it''s the most fabulous city in the world right?!
31.gif
2.gif

I used to be strictly a chocolate girl, but now I LOVE HD Strawberry. Yum, yum, yum!!!!!! There used to be a great ice cream place in my home town, but sadly it closed down
15.gif
. I loved their chocolate milk shakes the best!

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Mayfields. An east tennessee treat. Made locally. The best I''ve ever had. And of course, old fashion homemade.
18.gif

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
mara - thats hilarious.. I think everyone wanted to try a bit of each flavor (there were 4) so I guess everyone got one scoop of each!! And I heard some got seconds... there was such a line that I didnt'' even try to get any until the line died down... and then I realized why - there wasn''t any left!!

it''s funny how whatever you grew up with just felt normal. when I was little, we usually ate chinese food and ate w/chopsticks. which was fine, until I realized that most people don''t eat SPAGHETTI with chopsticks too!!! I mean, we ate chinese noodles all the time with chopsticks, and it just made sense to eat spaghetti w/them too - I think it''s a lot easier than a fork... but still, a friend came over for dinner one day when we had spaghetti and it was one of those weird realizations...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/10/2006 5:29:43 PM
Author: flopkins

it''s funny how whatever you grew up with just felt normal. when I was little, we usually ate chinese food and ate w/chopsticks. which was fine, until I realized that most people don''t eat SPAGHETTI with chopsticks too!!! I mean, we ate chinese noodles all the time with chopsticks, and it just made sense to eat spaghetti w/them too - I think it''s a lot easier than a fork... but still, a friend came over for dinner one day when we had spaghetti and it was one of those weird realizations...
grandma flopkins
35.gif

the difference is...chinese noodles are serve in a bowl and spaghetti is serve on a plate. i always use chopsticks with bowl and use a fork with plates.

btw; where is Joe''s ice cream? what street?

familystone

Shiny_Rock
Well chocolate is definately my favorite and I am sorry to say Hobo''s has gone out of business. It was a mom and pop ice cream shop in hoboken that had all home-made ice cream with all types of goodies in it (brownies cookie dough candy ext .. ) and the made theese twice dipped chocolate covered strawberries my girlfriend loved.

Anyway, Hobos is gone and probably not coinceidently Ben and Jerry''s came to town about a year ago and a cold stone opened up a few months back.

-Dave

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results