shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally set my 1.22 ct OEC!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Yay, got a temporary setting so I can wear it at long last! The setting is a super cheap one from eBay, with a new secure head on it so no worries about losing the stone (my jeweler said the original head sucked so badly it wouldn''t hold the stone, it kept spreading out). I definitely will reset it though- with the very thin girdle, it''s gotta have more protection. It''s surprisingly white face up, I have to say the color is absolutely my favorite... I love warmer colored OECs, and this is just perfect for me. It''s just a soft, slightly off-white ivory color from face up and hint-of-pure-yellow with no brown at all from the side. The side pic is pretty accurate actually, color-wise. Please excuse the lintiness in the pics, and the cat hair, no escaping either. Specs:

1.22 ct Old European Cut
N color
SI1 clarity
6.8mm more or less

It has an EGL USA cert, and I think it''s pretty close to being accurate. I got it from Old World Diamonds, and I would love to shop with them again, the owner has all the stones there in person and will give you an honest opinion when you ask him- he told me several on my list of possibles were not great in person, which was incredibly helpful, and he said he thought the prettiest in person of the 5 or 6 or so I had him look at for me.

It''s eyeclean too. I finally found the inclusion with my bare eyeball but I have laser-like closeup vision, and I only spotted it weeks after I bought the stone. I tilted it at juuuust the right angle and stared super hard, after I''d gotten it perfectly clean, and from the bottom up you can see the tiny feather catch the light just barely. Still, I''d call that eye clean!

I tried to get a feline model volunteer, but one feline was busy howling at the door (yeah, that''ll happen- they''re indoor only). The next candidate ran off- he is super high strung and freaked out as soon as I set the ring on him, despite seeming to be sound asleep before. The third candidate was wedged beneath the computer desk snoring loudly, totally inaccessable. Oh well. No kitty pics. Maybe when O.P. (that''s Candidate #1''s name, pronounced "Opie", short for Orange Problem, which he is) stops howling at the door later, I can try again.

So yeah, bear with the pics... they''re probably huge.

nooring.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
OK, that was a bit huger than I thought, sorry! Let''s try this one a bit smaller.

nooring2.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Side shot I think...

nooring4sm.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Hand shot, please excuse craptastic tattoo on forefinger. My ring I wear to cover it up doesn''t work well with my new ring.

Oh, and the setting has a 2mm band. My finger is around a size 5ish, sometimes a bit larger sometimes a bit less. Ring is 5.5, loose.

nooring8.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
The least linty close up.

nooring9.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
This is prior to setting it.

petsparkly2tryagain.jpg

chirp

Shiny_Rock
ooooh it''s lovely... I love old cuts and antique settings.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty! Congrats!
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it! I hope you can round up some furry candidates for the requisite paw/ ear shots!
31.gif

ang3199

Brilliant_Rock
I want and OEC soo bad! I love the setting you chose too!

Re. the tattoo. Don''t feel so bad. My friend got matching rose tattoos on her ring finger and in her ear. Yikes. They have faded and she hates them.

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
That is wayyy cool. I love it. The faceting is chunky and nice!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty diamond and ring.

Enjoy!!!
36.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2008 7:04:35 AM
Author: ang3199
I want and OEC soo bad! I love the setting you chose too!

Re. the tattoo. Don''t feel so bad. My friend got matching rose tattoos on her ring finger and in her ear. Yikes. They have faded and she hates them.

Me, too. They are so romantic.

LGK, you have a lovely ring!

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Soooo pretty!!!! I love the setting that you chose! Very elegant
36.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Congrats LGK, and welcome to the OCC!

Can you tell us a bit more about your setting please? Is it an old setting or a repro or what? Are the melee single cuts? Inquiring minds want to know...

ETA: I'm glad to hear you had a good buying experience with Old World Diamonds...always good to know of an already used resource for old stones!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty ring, I love the setting that you chose for it...I think that it compliments the stone nicely!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Surfgirl, this setting was one I already owned... it's a new 14K white gold repro from oxforddiamondco off eBay for I got for $200ish sometime in 2007. The melee is single cut... J or K/SI2 to I1 I think, they totally list their melee as way higher in color and clarity on their auctions but the price is a giveaway that it probably isn't gonna be F / VS or whatever, that's for sure. So the melee doesn't look way too white against the N color stone, which is nice.

I think I had the cttw wrong actually- come to think of it, it was .35 or something, I'm pretty sure. I hadn't planned on using this setting for a diamond, but it was the best option rather than letting my diamond roll around the house un-insured- I could just see myself putting it in A Safe Place never to be seen again. (Jewelers Mutual doesn't insure anything until set, never loose stones apparently.) So, I haven't given up finding a custom setting, just decided I would put it on the back burner until this month is over. I like the style of the setting even though the quality is rather meh- I preferred it to a plain solitaire for a temp setting. It's quite delicate in person, the millgrain is surprisingly even and small... I'd say that was the nicest surprise for the price. Although, the original head they had in it was so craptastic my jeweler swapped it out, it wouldn't even hold the stone at all, the prongs just kept loosening he said.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results