shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally!! My Sapphire RHR

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Lovely!

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Wow that is gorgeous, love the shade of blue
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
what a beautiful, beautiful BLUE!! I think I would spot that one across the room
30.gif
Love it!!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH MY... the color of that sapphire is TO-DIE-FOR!!!!!!!
30.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful blue, love it.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That ring is absolutely incredible the rube - love it!!!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
It''s BEAUTIFUL!!! Really really stunning!

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, so many compliments!! I love you guys. Thanks so much! I wish that I could get the exact color in the photos...it''s even a little bit more purpley IRL...I love it!
36.gif

I wish Alison D. would pipe in, she''s got a great story about the acquisition of this ring that I think she''d tell way better than me.
19.gif

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
So pretty! I was wondering if you''d finished the project! It''s really really lovely.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring :)

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous!!! Just - Wow. Absolutely gorgeous!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Very pretty!

cheers--Sharon

ahappygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful riing! The color is gorgeous and the setting compliments the stone perfectly! Congratulations.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just beautiful!!!
36.gif

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
How beautiful! The stone and the setting are wonderful!!! I love the antique feel of the ring and that colour is absolutely dreamy.
30.gif

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a pretty sapphire! And the setting you chose complements it perfectly. Great ring!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW! The blue is just gorgeous and the setting is divine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
That is a totally breathtaking ring! The sapphire is mesmerizing.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
thanks again for all the compliments!!
36.gif
36.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I thought I''d already commented on this thread when you posted originally, but apparently I never hit "submit"!

I am so head over heels for this ring it''s not even funny! It is so beautiful...I sent pictures of it to a few friends and family members claiming I wanted its twin, haha!

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely ring. Any chance we could get a close up of the setting? It looks delicious from far away.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/18/2009 10:58:00 AM
Author: tradergirl
Lovely ring. Any chance we could get a close up of the setting? It looks delicious from far away.

Yes...I don''t have a macro on my camera, but the next time I see Alison D. I''m sure she''ll be taking lots of great pics and I''ll put them in this thread! Thanks!

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/18/2009 10:40:49 AM
Author: NewEnglandLady
I thought I''d already commented on this thread when you posted originally, but apparently I never hit ''submit''!

I am so head over heels for this ring it''s not even funny! It is so beautiful...I sent pictures of it to a few friends and family members claiming I wanted its twin, haha!

Oh...you should get its twin!! Or I''ll let you borrow this guy anytime!

fuzzypill

Rough_Rock
I love your ring!
30.gif

Can you tell us more about how you got your stone and setting?
It''s beautiful!

babyness

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 10:07:43 AM
Author: the rube
Date: 3/15/2009 9:45:21 AM

Author: westjenn

That is gorgeous! Where did you find such a lovely sapphire?

Thanks westjenn! I found it in the jeweler''s building in Boston. I had been looking for a nice-sized cushion cut sapphire for such a long time, and when they pulled out the stones, my eye went right to it.

May I ask what jeweler? I''m literally right outside of Boston and just recently got my ering at 333 Washington (the jeweler''s exchange building)
I am in love with that stone - I can gaze at it all day...
3.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color is perfect, and I love that setting!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lovely! Beautiful colour!

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Babyness - I got this ring at 333 Washington as well. I don't think I'm allowed to say exactly which jeweler on here (??) so I won't. They sell all colored stones though, and I really loved going there, and got a bit of a rapport with the owners, along with Allison D., who went with me.

Fuzzypill - here's the story: So while I was on a Boston GTG with Allison D, KeepingTheFaith, New England Lady and a few other girls from PS, we went into this colored gems store in the Jeweler's building. I had been wanting a sapphire for a long time. I wanted to wear a RHR that somehow symbolized myself and my DH...but our birthstones are both too soft for me to wear as a ring (mine is Emerald, his is Opal...meh). So I decided, with a little inspiration from New England Lady(and her awesome Sapphire band), that I would pick September's birthstone, which is the month that we were married.

So I really wanted this sapphire to be something special. I really LOVE sapphires in cushion cuts, I wanted it to be the right color - not too dark, and I wanted it to be of a pretty good size. I had been looking online and at jewelry stores, and hadn't really found what I was looking for, for the pricepoint I wanted (or maybe I just hadn't seen THE gem that would make me spend the money!! haha). Not to mention, every sapphire that was already set was an oval or an emerald cut, too dark for my taste, and was not set in a style that I wanted.

Then I saw it. The jewelers were playing with all sorts of gems with Allison D and the other girls, it looked like we were in a candy store. Then they took out the sapphire tray. And there it was. I literally REACHED across the table and across three women to point out this stone. This super gorgeous, 2.25ct, 7.5mm (if I remember correctly) CUSHION cut, unbelievable sapphire. I almost passed out. We looked at it for a half hour in the sunlight by the window and to this day Allison D still tells me that if I didn't decide to buy it she would have snagged it for herself (which is a big compliment to my taste, BTW). That's when the jeweler went on about how they'd never seen a sapphire quite like it, they call it their "big sapphire" etc. (funny, that's exactly what the jeweler said to my DH on the day I picked up my ring, while I was in the bathroom...guess he really believed it!). It was pricey (!!), and I had to have it. But I was getting married in two months and had to save every dime I could, so I had to put it on hold.

While we were hanging out in there I decided to look around at settings. I didn't think I'd find anything there, they were telling me I should set it in a three stone (blech - not my style) and this and that....but I really like antique-looking jewelry. So I saw this setting. Antique looking filigree, simple with no melee, and six really interestingly placed prongs. I'd never seen anything like it, and it just seemed to go so well with the sapphire so I put it aside with the stone.

Fast forward to 8 MONTHS later...when I finally get my tax returns and decide enough is enough. I deserve to bring that baby home now. And also I received a generous gift from DH for Valentine's day...money toward the sapphire!! So I drag Allison D. and Blinkydoll with me on a Saturday to negotiate price with the jeweler (both Allison and I thought maybe he'd gone a little high on the price of the setting). We got there and he had already set the thing. And NOT well. The sapphire was visibly crooked in the setting and the prongs were an absolute MESS. After some chatting he gave me a price I was a bit happier with and I gave him instructions to reset the stone for me.

Two weeks later I called up to make sure the ring was ready, and I planned to show up at 5p.m. I knew that Allison D. was planning to head over there earlier in the day to pick up a new setting, but I wasn't going to be able to meet her. So DH and I show up at 5 and they pull out the ring. It looks good! It's not perfect...however it was within my tolerance of imperfection, and I was able to understand that the setting itself had some limitations (the way it's cast it's not exactly symmetrical, but I think that somewhat adds to the "vintage" look of the piece). But the prongs were rounded and much more clean looking, and WAY more symmetrical than they were before (no more "hillbilly teeth" as Allison D. affectionately called them haha). I was happy with the ring, paid my balance and went on my merry way.

Next day I spoke to Allison. She asked about the ring and I told her I was very happy with it. Not even thinking for a moment that she probably got a peek at it when she was at the store a few hours earlier. Well, that's when she tells me that when she did peek at it around 3ish, she had a panic attack. The setting was no better than it had been two weeks before! She showed me the pictures and I couldn't believe it! (maybe she'll put one or two up on this thread when she reads this??) She was so worried that I would be upset when I came in to pick it up, that she had a heart-to-heart with the owner about what my expectations are for the setting of this ring. She explained that I'm a designer and that I have a lot of attention to detail, and that the job he'd done was simply not going to be satisfactory. She left feeling worried for my reaction. But apparently, as soon as Allison left, the jeweler went to work again on the prongs, and this time, he got them right. And if she hadn't told me this story, I would have never been the wiser!

So the moral of the story is: Allison D. is my hero! I am so grateful that I have her on my side, to be my harda$$ in places where I cannot be! Because I'll tell ya, if I'd walked into that store and the prongs had looked like they did when she saw it, I honestly don't know what I would have done. Maybe cried. Maybe given up. I was really excited to take the ring home that night...it would have ruined my night. So Allison D. saves the day again!!

And that's my story...haha....sorry it was so long!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a great story!! Love it. Yay for Allison D!!!
36.gif

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Oh it''s absolutely beautiful!
30.gif
The setting is gorgeous!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results