shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally - it''s here! My AJSGems 2.37 ct. Spess

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'll start with the good first.
1.gif

The Fed Ex guy tried to drop it off this morning, but left a note on the door to pick up my package after 6:00 tonight (I have reservations and I wouldn't have seen it until TUESDAY). I decided to come home from the office a bit early, and around 3:00, I see the Fed Ex truck back in the neighbourhood! Yay!

I ripped into the package, and this spess is gorgeous!!! Colourwise, it's everything I wanted. You'll see that I took some pics comparing it to a mandarin orange, and it's just a slightly more delicate colour, and despite the lack of sun, I can tell this sucker is a fireball!!!! It has a very slight yellow secondary, which I think is being grossly exaggerated by my camera, since I don't see it in person at all. I see no brown in this stone at all!

OK, on to the negative. First, my camera has something funky going on with white balance or something, because not one of these pictures accurately represent what I see. Plus, I happened to be wearing a deep orange, slightly dark coral top today, and it's reflected around in some of the facets.

Now, I didn't expect a perfect cut from AJS, but for the price I paid, I expected to NOT see such a huge window. In your expert opinions, do you ladies *and gentlemen) think this window can be closed with a setting?

Now, onto the pics.

On its side.

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Outside - it''s sprinkling a little, but I braved the "weather" for pics!

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tilt window showing up here.

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Showing a bit more yellow. That window all but disappeared with my resize.

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
On my hand. This is why my WB is off. I look nearly blue in that pic, and I''m not that pale!

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blurry, but not a bad representation of colour.

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another, with a fuzz on the table.

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s a pretty nice cut aside from the window . . .

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tiny colourful mountains.

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
"Asscher" collection. I know this isn''t a traditional asscher, but it gets a pass because of it''s pavilon.

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another. . .

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last one . . . thoughts?

original.aspx

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty. Nice color. I like the idea of putting orange next to it, the colors are very similar.

ETA: I just saw the part about the window. I am having trouble seeing it. Is there any way you can photograph it under a white piece of paper or something similar? I like the spess for its sparkle factor, but I am not sure how much sparkle a "closed window" will have.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the color. Personally the window doesn't seem glaring to me, if I really loved the color I'd probably keep it. But then again I'm not a huge stickler about cut if the color is gorgeous, I know it bugs some people more than others.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
30.gif
LTP... I am not expert....but it appears that the slight window seems to close up when you placed it on your hand. Maybe that is a good sign that hopefully it will close up depending on the setting. I think the color is just YUMMY ORANGE JUICYNESS!!!!! ....and I do like the cut too!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lauren,
It's a beautiful stone, and I'm so glad you're happy with the color and everything about it!!
9.gif
36.gif
I was counting down the days until you got this one!!

As for wondering if it will close up, do you have any empty settings you can put it in to check that out? My asscher spessartite had a small window and it closed up in the setting.

What are your plans for it?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
MTG, thank you.
1.gif

I think this pic highlights the window best. See how it looks like the right 3/4 of the pav are sort of blurred? It''s showing the white of the sill right through.
original.aspx

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really is a juicy color! I can practically smell citrus looking at it :)

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
MTG - Thank you! I'm unavoidably hard on mediocrely cut stones when it comes to an asscher-esque gems. However, this colour may just have won me over. I need the SUN to come out!
19.gif

Thank you, CCN! This has been a long wait for this stone, but I'm glad I jumped on it.

TL - thank you, hon! Can you believe I don't have ONE empty setting lying around right now?
3.gif
I have one I just ordered, but I shouldn't get that for at least a week, week and a half.

My initial reaction for this stone is delicate step cut traps, slightly elongated, with a thin platinum or white gold slightly knife-edge shank. My madiera citrine is a 3 stone with EC side stones, so I think the traps may just be a bit too repetitious, so I'm still not sure. I looked into a baguette halo, but the quotes I was getting back were out of control!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
color looks sooo juicy!!!
18.gif
yummy orange!... as for the window, it looks very small, and when you put it on your hands, I couldn''t really tell there is a window, its more apparent to me off of your hands though but very minimal. Overall I think good coloring
36.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Oh my words!! It''s such a awsome, juicey color!

I love it. I think it would close up in a setting. Did you see the setting from WF ''equality''? That''s what I want for my spess. I can''t wait to see yours in a setting!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
The color is so good I think with the right setting you could close the window and it would look great.

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
Oh, I love the color. I think it''s funny how you picked a spess in a cut as close to asscher as possible

I would be inclined to keep it if I were you. I see the window, but with prongs that might disappear. Also, it''s pretty hard to get a spess in the color you want, not to mention asscher/step cut, as I''m sure you know.

You could also put it in a pendant and then you wouldn''t see the window as much but everyone else will admire your stone :)

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color is scrumptious! Honestly, the small window doesn''t bother me cuz that color is all that I see. YUMMY!!!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dang, now that''s some ORANGE! I love the color!!!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Wow! What a color!
36.gif

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I love that color... its so juicy!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Its beautiful LTP!

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
I love that color! The overall shape is really nice too, so lovely. The window looks small in the photos, like it should disappear really easily. The question is of course, how much will it bug you?

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Very pretty stone! I barely notice the window.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results