shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally is time for engagement ring!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jlafne

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, i found out this great site from a best friend of mine and it really help me alot for understanding diamond, especially in tutorial and this forum. Everyone here are really helpful and provided lots of information and suggestions.

I''m planning to get a E-ring online and my budget is up to 10k(diamond + setting).
I need help from you guys here, on size, color, clarity and cut.
As for me i prefer G & VS1 and below but have to be ideal or excellent cut.

Thanks in advance, and really appreciate your help.

John

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What kind of setting do you have in mind?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What sized stone did you have in mind? What shape?

What metal for the setting (in addition to the question Julie asked).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

jlafne

Rough_Rock
Wow thanks for the quick replies guys really amazing, i would prefer a simple but elegant setting the will bring out the brilliant of the stone, it have to be platinum.
thanks!

Shape: Round
Carat: 1.00 plus
Metal: platinum

Thanks Gypsy for the links, looking at it now!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay... so Leon Solitare or Mark Morrel Solitare would be my choice. Settings range from 1700 to 3,000 in platinum (which is just right for your budget).

Leon Solitare (Harriet's)

hlm4closeup.jpg

Mark Morrel Solitare (Petite Torchiere Setting):

collage_mwm_pt.jpg

Alternately, A tapered baguette setting for a beautiful three stone look. Probably about 2.5K on average.

1AA4_large_1.jpg

Or a if you want a small amount of pave... Integrated Head Harmony Setting like Lynn's. 2200-2500 (depending on integrated head upcharge, if any).

Lynn_Brandt_0601_b.jpg

Or for a more Modern Twist on the Solitare Shodt Semi Bezel:

sholdtaliastype.jpg

jlafne

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much Gypsy,

Among the links, this one look so tempting to me. And its AGS grading report look different, Dated Feb 05, 2009. Is this the latest AGS report?

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=571

since the clarity is SI2, how can we make sure it is "eye clean" or not?

For the setting, the Lynn's and tapered baguette look real nice!!
Good recommendation.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Call and ask. Only way. Make sure you define what your expectations of "eyeclean" are. Does it have to be eyeclean from any distances away from the stone? From all sides? From just the top?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the AGS report has been reformatted.

I guess you would have to email Wink and ask the staff if it is eye-clean.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2009 1:34:38 AM
Author: JulieN
Yes, the AGS report has been reformatted.

I guess you would have to email Wink and ask the staff if it is eye-clean.
Ditto and thritto.

jlafne

Rough_Rock
I got same real nice suggestions Gyspy last night, I wonder if I can get more help then it would me perfect!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
How can we help you further?
4.gif

jlafne

Rough_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
In order of preference.

I like the Infinity for the price and color combo (5% off with bank wire). Plus it's beautiful.

The DS diamond is nice, but despite it's .1 carat weight over the Infinity, it's deep so it faces up almost identical to the Infinity and is one color step lower (but still a great color). I didn't run it through HCA either, so you'd want to check that. This 'ranking' assumes it scores well on the HCA. And it's an AGS1 where the others are AGS0.

The GOG one is beautiful, but the price is much higher than the others and again, the spread is not visually larger than the Infinity (which is less in carat weight). If it were less expensive, I'd prefer it to the DS one.

jlafne

Rough_Rock
Yes you are right Gyspy,
the DC score 3.9 on HCA
GOG score 1.8
and the winner is HPD
scores 0.8
36.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
2.gif

Just to clarify... .8 on the HCA doesn''t mean ''better'' 1.8. The HCA is a "Pass"/ "Fail" selection tool. Anything under 2 is a pass, and over 2 it just depends on your tolerance and the price. The reason I would pick the HPD diamond so because of the balance of cut/color/clarity/price versus the same of the GOG stone, puts the GOG stone at a serious price advantage. Since we are all working with budgets, and I don''t believe in paying more for something substantially similar to another thing (both are AGS0, G SI stones with similar spread and superideal cuts, from vendors I trust with good policies), I would pick the HPD stone. HPD Infinity stones have the addition of a one year (I think) insurance promotion, and both vendors have great buy back and trade in policies last time I checked. Overall... for me it''s two apples that look similar (assuming both are eyeclean) and one costs enough less to get you a much nicer setting for your budget. So the total package wins.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2009 11:25:50 PM
Author: Gypsy
2.gif

Just to clarify... .8 on the HCA doesn''t mean ''better'' 1.8. The HCA is a ''Pass''/ ''Fail'' selection tool. Anything under 2 is a pass, and over 2 it just depends on your tolerance and the price. The reason I would pick the HPD diamond so because of the balance of cut/color/clarity/price versus the same of the GOG stone, puts the GOG stone at a serious price advantage. Since we are all working with budgets, and I don''t believe in paying more for something substantially similar to another thing (both are AGS0, G SI stones with similar spread and superideal cuts, from vendors I trust with good policies), I would pick the HPD stone. HPD Infinity stones have the addition of a one year (I think) insurance promotion, and both vendors have great buy back and trade in policies last time I checked. Overall... for me it''s two apples that look similar (assuming both are eyeclean) and one costs enough less to get you a much nicer setting for your budget. So the total package wins.
Ditto.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not liking the G as much as the H's you've got there. I'd give JA a call and ask them to pick the brightest, whitest and most beautiful of the H bunch and send you an IS on it. Put it on hold while you do that.

DS's choices are lovely as well.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 1:02:20 AM
Author: Gypsy
Okay... so Leon Solitare or Mark Morrel Solitare would be my choice. Settings range from 1700 to 3,000 in platinum (which is just right for your budget).
Alternately, A tapered baguette setting for a beautiful three stone look. Probably about 2.5K on average.
Or a if you want a small amount of pave... Integrated Head Harmony Setting like Lynn's. 2200-2500 (depending on integrated head upcharge, if any).
Or for a more Modern Twist on the Solitare Shodt Semi Bezel:

Wow, Gypsy, that is really helpful -- kudos!
36.gif

ETA: jlafne: you've come to the right place! These experts are going to help you find the perfect e-ring!

jlafne

Rough_Rock
Yes, everyone are very helpful here, many thanks!

jlafne

Rough_Rock
Thank you DS06, those are lovely stones with full details, but one thing i wonder here is why GOG price is higher(same color,carat,clarity) comparing to other sites?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The vendors here offer different services and serve a different type of clientele.

Here's how I regard each of the ones discuss in this thread:

Good Old Gold is like a boutique vendor, they carry very high quality stones, have gret contacts in the industry, and have all the fancy diagnostic tools you could ask for. They run these diagnostics on their in house stones to give their cusstomers (online and in store, as they do have a physical retail store) the maxium informtion possible. And are have amazing, well trained, highly competent staff to back that up. They don't go benchwork customation too much, that's not their focus, their focus is on diamonds, diamond education and sourcing. The reason I refer to them as boutique diamond vendor is because they are specialized experts that sell high quality stones of all types... ovals, pears, rounds, asschers, emerald cuts and are knowledgable about all of them. Not just super ideals. They are not drop shippers,, and agian because of the diagnostic machinery/ information and the physical retail store with many stones in stock in their possesssion they have higher overhead. Plus their lifetime buyback and upgrade policies are very stong. All that that means a higher bottom line... but also an extremely strong feeling of confidence in any purchase made through them. They do carry a nice selection of settings, not their own, but from other manufacturers, and have some lovley choices to chose from.

James Allen is... not a drop shipper like Blue Nile, but their 'store' is by appointment only in NY (not a large retail store with all kinds of stock in at any time), their prices are lower because if you compare the amount of information offerred to GOG, you'll see they don't have the same tool. They certainly HAVE an IS machine and a photo set up for pics of their stones, but the IS isn't offerred unless you ask, then you wait for it. And they list stone other than those in their possession (so they have no overhead for those, until you ask for information on them, then they get them in. Their staff provides goods customer service, but outside of Jim and a few others, they are not as specialized and frankly, highly trained (yet) as GOG's staff. Still, much much better than BN's staff. They offer standard stock settings, and do some customization on request, but like GOG custom settings are not their focus.

Whiteflash sells their brand of superideals. That is their primary focus, unlike GOG and James Allen who don't specialize and CUT their own brand of particular stones (but GOG carries a great variety of them from the Jubilee, to ISEE2 stones, to Towolskly, ot the Princess of Hearts) WF does. That doesn't mean they can't do what James Allen and GOG do and get other stones in, they certainly can and do, but their own personal stock in stones other than their branded stock is not large. They don't have a retail store, but do a lot of settings/ customization and so forth. So their focus on that type of work results them turning some of their customized designs into standard catalogue design so some very beautiful settings are available very readily and results in a lot of 'one stop shopping.'

Winkjones (HighPerformance Diamonds) is not a cutter, they are a jeweler with a physical store but their diamonds are primarily superideals cut by Infinity. These are branded extermely high quality stones, so carry some premium. Wink also does settings (though his site needs serious improvement in the setting department), both in that he carries some nice lines, and that his bench/staff includes different levels of designer/benchmen/goldsmiths... including Ocean Pearlman, who did my setting. Wink also deals in a lot of colored stones and is very knowledgable on all types of stores. His staff is considerably smaller than Whiteflash, James Allen or GOG. When you call you can get Wink on the phone most of the time with ease, and he is very involved in making sure each transaction goes smoothly. He does have the ability to do scans and gives great information as well.

So depending on what their business model, what products they offer, and focus is in term of what part of the market they are targetting... and what tools they have, the overhead of each vendor is going to be different and so is their pricing.

jlafne

Rough_Rock
Very complete and comprehensive information, Gyspy u are the man!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm really happy with being a woman
9.gif
. Thanks though.
3.gif

Savvymon

Shiny_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so since it seems that you will be buying a 7mm stone (about 1.25). I can share the setting I have had on my watch-list to show the next person who was looking for something truly special, on a budget.

This designer three-stone setting with pave in the shank is one of my favorites. The side stones are just the right proportion to keep the center stone a star, and the price is fabulous. It''s been on there for a WHILE too, so you can always ask if they will come down off the price further. I''d tell them to point the prong tips to sharpen the look of them.

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-specials/closeout-jewelry/earrings/07M2/64/

And here is the picture.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

gygd2-4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results