shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally, here's my ring, y'all

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
So way back several months ago I came to this forum with help picking out a stone and finding a ring design for it. Well, here it is. I had a YAG stone, cut by Scott Laborie, set by a local jeweler in a stock Stuller (#9834) setting in 14K yellow gold.
However, I'm not 100 sure I'm going to be satisfied with what I've done. That's because, even after having a couple of stones specifically cut with a minimum pavilion to supposedly fit this particular Stuller setting, the culet of the stone ends up exactly even with the inside of the ring and presses against my finger somewhat when I'm wearing the ring. Part of the problem is that the ring is hollow underneath where the stone is set and my finger skin/fat bulges upwards up under there just a bit. I've only worn the ring for a few minutes at the time and the stone doesn't hurt my finger, it just "itches" it where it touches my skin. Maybe I'll get used to it - maybe not, which will require a re-do by someone.
I fear that I have made an expensive mistake, because the setting can't be returned, nor modified in any way to fix this. Thus, I may have to send my setting to David Klass and tell him to make one just like it, but raise the top up to accommodate the depth of the stone, and fill in the back of it to make it "smoother" feeling on the finger. I love the design of the ring, though - the size and the way it displays the stone is perfect. Maybe I can get some credit for the weight of the gold that's in it when David or whoever melts it down and makes another one, if I decide to go that route.
Here's a few pictures in poor lighting.
I will wear the ring for a while and see how I like it before committing to doing anything else. I'm kinda sad about the situation, though, as I feel like I've spent way too much money and I'm still not 100% satisfied.
Here's a few pictures in poor lighting.
thumbnail3.jpg thumbnail2.jpg thumbnail.jpg

Last edited:

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
It’s a very pretty stone. Sorry you aren’t happy with the ring; I’d probably go crazy too if I could feel the stone on my finger- especially on a ring you may not wear ever day, so “getting used to it” doesn’t happen.
Good luck on a resolution!

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
It's such a nice ring!! I do hope you are able to get used to it.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
That is very frustrating. I have been there myself which is why I always have the settings made around my stone. I learned that gemstones are deeper and then harder to retro fit into semi-mounts. Your jeweler should have given you a bit more guidance.

I use Sam, the owner, at Debebians. He is in the same area as David Klass and does some amazing work. He did my very complicated sapphire setting in my avatar. I would get in touch with him for a quote. Maybe he can fix the setting or you will definitely get the gold credit. His email is [email protected]. I like that he has all his own trades and doesn’t send anything out. He also does the CAD’s so it helps to be able to design the ring with the person who will also create the CAD. I can’t say enough good things because he is so patient and just makes the design process fun.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh I'm sorry you aren't 100% happy. So frustrating! The stone and design is gorgeous though!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring and stone looks great!
Sorry about the “itchy” situation, definitely sounds frustrating. If it makes you feel any better, many of us colored stone folk had similar growing pains when we first started doing custom made settings.

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
The ring and stone looks great!
Sorry about the “itchy” situation, definitely sounds frustrating. If it makes you feel any better, many of us colored stone folk had similar growing pains when we first started doing custom made settings.
I can't afford another custom setting, so I'm really distraught. Just doing this approach was more than I felt like I should spend.
But, someone recommended having the area at the top of the setting built up a little bit, thereby effectively raising the culet of the stone off my finger a bit, so I'm going to look into that.
thumbnail2mod.jpg

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
That is very frustrating. I have been there myself which is why I always have the settings made around my stone. I learned that gemstones are deeper and then harder to retro fit into semi-mounts. Your jeweler should have given you a bit more guidance.

I use Sam, the owner, at Debebians. He is in the same area as David Klass and does some amazing work. He did my very complicated sapphire setting in my avatar. I would get in touch with him for a quote. Maybe he can fix the setting or you will definitely get the gold credit. His email is [email protected]. I like that he has all his own trades and doesn’t send anything out. He also does the CAD’s so it helps to be able to design the ring with the person who will also create the CAD. I can’t say enough good things because he is so patient and just makes the design process fun.
I sent Sam a message with some photos to see what he says.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
It would be a shame to have to redo the whole thing. He is changing out a head for me right now to drop the stone height without redoing the setting so maybe he can come up with something for you too.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You_Doodle_2019-05-28T16_19_50Z.jpg
I think you'll have a better outcome doing something like this to prevent the culet from pressing/itching your finger.
I think building up just the sidewalls will be difficult to do, and labor intensive ($$$) to look nice by a skilled craftsperson. I also think building it up enough to make any difference will squish your finger more? You are in effect sizing down the ring.
Is the ringsize overall too small by any chance?

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
You_Doodle_2019-05-28T16_19_50Z.jpg
I think you'll have a better outcome doing something like this to prevent the culet from pressing/itching your finger.
I think building up just the sidewalls will be difficult to do, and labor intensive ($$$) to look nice by a skilled craftsperson. I also think building it up enough to make any difference will squish your finger more? You are in effect sizing down the ring.
Is the ringsize overall too small by any chance?
Oh, I see what you mean now. Yes, that may work.
My thoughts would be to build it up but enlarge the ring also. It's currently the perfect size, certainly not too big. But that lattice approach may work just fine. That's quite ingenious, actually. Who did that for you?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 on the lattice idea!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I see what you mean now. Yes, that may work.
My thoughts would be to build it up but enlarge the ring also. It's currently the perfect size, certainly not too big. But that lattice approach may work just fine. That's quite ingenious, actually. Who did that for you?

Just a google image :)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What did you type in the search to find it? I may be able to locate a jeweler that specializes in that.

I googled "underside of dome ring'
Knew what I was looking for - don't know what it is called, technically.

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
It looks great, such a shame about the itchy issue! I hope you find a solution, as it is no good to have this beautiful ring if you don't enjoy wearing it :cry2:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your new ring is stunning.
How annoying about the gem touching your finger. I’m wondering if it’s just a tad too tight and that’s forcing your finger to “bulge” a bit underneath and touch the gemstone.
I’d try a 1/4 or 1/2 resize first to see if that helps.
I think raising the sides will be labor intensive aka expensive and I do like the underneath infill idea. It doesn’t need to be as “fancy” as the suggested photo, you won’t see it, just enough infill to stop your finger bulging up.
Hopefully you can get this problem sorted ASAP so you can get on with loving and admiring your new ring.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
its a beautiful creation
im.so.sorry it doesn't feel as good as it loold
itchy is bad
good luck correcting it
im sure you'll find a solution

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock

I received a response back from Sam and he says he can fix it. What he recommends is building up the prongs so he can re-set the stone a bit higher. The cost to do it, including shipping would be $230, which seems reasonable enough. However, I would hate to ruin the smooth profile of the way the stone and ring flows and blends in together so well now, though. But, I guess I can't have it all, now can I?

I haven't spoken with my local jeweler that set the stone yet, and I probably should. But, I dunno. Maybe I'll mention it to them when I pick up my wife's setting sometime next week and see what they say/recommend. I have a suspicion that they're going to say that I'm SOL.

I'm still liking the idea of that lattice work on the bottom, though.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rather than a complicated and likely expensive lattice, would a simple, thin bar from one side to the other be an option? It could shield the point of the culet from your finger while taking nothing away from the current setting, and mean the underside of the stone remains easy to clean :)

Or if not a bar, perhaps just a 'cross' made up from two bars, going from corner to corner of the gap?

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
If you don’t want to lose the smooth profile of the ring, I really think that sizing it slightly and adding a bar or cross might do the trick. It won’t keep it quite as tight to the finger but just the extra room alone might keep it from touching or itching your finger. I prefer to keep my rings on the loose side but I know that everyone is different.

I think if it is just touching your finger a little, this will probably fix it. If it is touching your finger a lot, then you might have to raise the stone and maybe it can be done ever so slightly that it is barely noticeable on the profile. I guess it is still better than a complete redo.

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Rather than a complicated and likely expensive lattice, would a simple, thin bar from one side to the other be an option? It could shield the point of the culet from your finger while taking nothing away from the current setting, and mean the underside of the stone remains easy to clean :)

Or if not a bar, perhaps just a 'cross' made up from two bars, going from corner to corner of the gap?
Yeah, that would likely work.

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
If you don’t want to lose the smooth profile of the ring, I really think that sizing it slightly and adding a bar or cross might do the trick. It won’t keep it quite as tight to the finger but just the extra room alone might keep it from touching or itching your finger. I prefer to keep my rings on the loose side but I know that everyone is different.

I think if it is just touching your finger a little, this will probably fix it. If it is touching your finger a lot, then you might have to raise the stone and maybe it can be done ever so slightly that it is barely noticeable on the profile. I guess it is still better than a complete redo.
No, I can't stand a loose ring, so looser isn't going to work.
I wore the ring for a few hours this morning and something is definitely going to have to change.

I have also reached out to the cutter, Scott Laborie, to see what he thinks about recutting the pavilion to a shallower depth. I mean, it's YAG, so it's not like it's a big deal to start cutting on it like it would be if were a high-dollar sapphire or something. Heck, at this point I'm seriously staring at the Dremel tool sitting on my workbench. LOL

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha I had that happen to an oval once. The pointy cutlet was annoying and it was a cheap stone so we just sanded it down and gave it an “oec” style cutlet. Looked fine!

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Haha I had that happen to an oval once. The pointy cutlet was annoying and it was a cheap stone so we just sanded it down and gave it an “oec” style cutlet. Looked fine!
Well, that is indeed what I'm going to do. However, Scott Laborie, who cut the stone, is going to do it - for free! He said it's a quick, easy fix for him to do.

So, I will have to pay my jeweler $25 or so to remove and re-set the stone, but that's a no-brainer compared to just chucking the whole mess in my sock drawer and not wearing it.
It will be a week or so before I can get the stone removed, so I will report back when it's all finished up.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Glad you found a solution! It’s a beautiful creation.

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Glad you found a solution! It’s a beautiful creation.
Thank you. Even if the stone doesn't sparkle as much after we whack off the culet a bit, the color is such a strikingly rare shade it will still be pretty.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay, glad you found a solution.... :wavey:

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so glad you found a solution that didn't cost an arm and an leg.
I have soured on Stuller settings, for similar reasons.

Thanks @swaye2010 thanks for mentioning Sam. I was looking at bands from he and Melissa and I like knowing he does his own work.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results