shape
carat
color
clarity

Final questions in the home stretch

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tljtotlb

Rough_Rock
Hello all, this is my first post, but I''ve been lurking for quite some time and gathering information, but I still have a few questions. I don''t want her to know what I''m up to and I really want this to be a surprise, so I can''t ask questions outright or she''ll know I''m up to something as she alwasy does. Her mother died years ago and her sister and best friend live out of state, so asking them to run interference is out as well.

1. Is there no area for ''Cut'' on GIA certs? I promise I''ve searched and looked all over, but I don''t see Very Good, Good, Fair anyplace on the forms. I know I want the best cut possible, I just don''t see where it''s located.

2. How thin of a band would be too thin for a 3.5ct-ish oval? It would be for daily wear. She wants very thin, but has no idea that she''s getting a stone this size. She''s thinking she''s getting something like .75-1ct* and a 1.8, setting would be fine for that size. I''m not too sure about a setting that thin. Since she loves the way thin bands look I was thinking about a twisting/intertwined split shank.

3. Would sidestones or pave make a 3.5ct stone look too busy? She''s a plain girl, but at the same time she''s classy if that makes any sense. She likes things that look antique and is very docile. She reminds me of Nicole Kidman.

*She told me months ago that 3.5ct center would be her dream ring and I''m giving it to her now rather than later.

Thank you for all your help!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
3.5cts!!!!! And she is expecting .75-1ct!! You better have a doctor on speed dial cause this girl is going to need oxygen!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

You wonderful man you!

Have you got pics? The PS seal of approval?
2.gif

tljtotlb

Rough_Rock
I accidently hit back and lost my post!

You guys (and gals) need that info!

I think I made PS proud:
Length to width ratio: 1.46
Measurements: 12.16 x 8.32 x 5.20 mm
Fluorescence: Faint
Culet: None
Depth: 62.5%
Table: 54%
Symmetry: Very good
Polish: Very Good
G, VS2

I have a 30-day return period and they have a J/VS2. Would it be worth the look? It can''t hurt anything I guess, I''m going back tomorrow with an idea for a setting, I hope.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Hi tljtotlb!
You are awesome.
ETA: style issues, such as side stones and twining shanks are ...difficult to guage without her personal input.
Perhaps you could go window shopping and point out these specific style features on the rings you see?
She'll love telling you what she likes / dislikes about those style ideas!
Only possible danger: seeing a ring she *thinks* she's falling in love with...and she can't understand why you don't want to go in to try..!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please at the very least provide a magnified picture. An ASET is even better to evaluate the light return. I don't see any red flags with the parameters you provided but cannot make a judgement on cut without viewing a picture of the oval. Also, what is the cert info on the girdle?

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
WOW what a wonderful man you are she will be gobsmacked.

I can''t comment on the diamond you mentioned but I would take Chrono''s advice

I don''t think sidestones would make your diamond busy but in saying that it would depend on what sidestones your using :)... This ring features a cushion but I actually thought it was an oval at first as the shape is quite ovalish but it is stunning with baguette side stones http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=8.

I would love to see pictures as well :D

tljtotlb

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/13/2008 7:01:42 AM
Author: Chrono
Please at the very least provide a magnified picture. An ASET is even better to evaluate the light return. I don''t see any red flags with the parameters you provided but cannot make a judgement on cut without viewing a picture of the oval. Also, what is the cert info on the girdle?
Should I take the diamond to a separate appraiser? I know if I were to purchase online to have the diamond sent directly to the appraiser. Should I have the stone sent to the appraiser if I buy from a family owned jeweler?

What is ASET? I don''t lurk here enough to understand that term. Do I get the magnified photo from the jeweler or the appraiser?

(don''t know how I missed this) Girdle: Med to Thick

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2008 10:12:01 AM
Author: tljtotlb

Please at the very least provide a magnified picture. An ASET is even better to evaluate the light return. I don''t see any red flags with the parameters you provided but cannot make a judgement on cut without viewing a picture of the oval. Also, what is the cert info on the girdle?
Should I take the diamond to a separate appraiser? I know if I were to purchase online to have the diamond sent directly to the appraiser. Should I have the stone sent to the appraiser if I buy from a family owned jeweler?

What is ASET? I don''t lurk here enough to understand that term. Do I get the magnified photo from the jeweler or the appraiser?

Well you won''t need a magnified image if you are going to a B&M; you will see the stone with your eye''s. I don''t know if a B&M will have an Aset image??

Also, if you want it appraised I would send it to someone like Neil Beatty, Dave Atlas or others listed up top under resources, appraisers and then the local appraiser in your area. If you insure it you will need an appraisal.

zerj

Rough_Rock
An ASET is an image of the stone taken under special lighting conditions (via the ASET scope) that shows you how much light that comes down onto the diamond gets bounced back out the top of the diamond. A poorly cut diamond will let a lot of this light go down to your future fiancees finger, where a good cut one will bounce it back out to her eyes and thus it appears more sparkly.

http://www.ideal-scope.com/using_reference_chart_ASET.asp

If your buying locally you theoretically wouldn't need this if you trust your eyes and the jeweler has a good selection of stones to compare yours against. Additionally make sure when you compare you try several different lighting situations, every diamond looks good when there's 30 different spotlights shining on it, as is the case with most jewelry/lingerie stores.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/13/2008 10:12:01 AM
Author: tljtotlb

This info should help you concerning ASET. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-we-prefer-aset-to-ideal-scope-with-fancy-shapes.73949/

cara

Ideal_Rock
The antiquey preference makes me thing this should have some pave on the ring and delicate. Nothing to compete with the center, but to dress it up properly.

The question of how thin to make the ring - it depends on other structural elements and the ringmaker and ringwearer. I think Leon Mege will do bands 1.8-2.0 mm for a stone this size, but he usually puts a substantial basket under the stone to provide additional stabilization. Frankly one of his less flashy pieces sounds perfect for this beast, but are you set on getting the setting from the family jeweler? Does the ring budget have any extra room after this center-stone extravagance?

At least post some pictures of this stone for us here.

I tried on a 3 ct cushion (very oval shaped) yellow diamond in a yellow gold spilt shank setting. It was VERY thing and looked like rope...it was beautiful and delicate BUT felt like it would very easily bend out of shape and didn''t feel substantial enough to support a diamond that size. I wouldn''t go smaller than 2 mm and keep in mind that the big center will make the band appear thinner than if it were say a 1 ct center.

Good luck picking the setting...you know her best and I''m sure she''ll love it.

kkayser

Rough_Rock
Older GIA reports do not have cut grades or enough info to determine a cut grade. If the report is fairly recent it can be upgraded to include cut grade. Also, cut grades are only given for round stones. Go the the GIA web site for more info than you ever wanted to see on grading cut. The best cut is Excellent overall with excellent polish and symmetry. You can also nit pick the girdle and insist that it be medium all the way around and faceted. All other factors being equal, choose the stone that has the largest diameter, because it will look the biggest. (There is a conflict here because, for a given weight, thinner girdles yield larger diameters, all other proportions being equal) I would recommend that you just stick to a GIA ex cut and then shop for the color and clarity you are satisfied with at the best price.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results