shape
carat
color
clarity

Fill in the blank: I never thought I would become…..

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m embarking on becoming a homeschool parent after doing remote learning last year and after reviewing the reopening plan for this year. This is something I said I never wanted to become, mostly because I was afraid of failing and doubted my abilities.

Recently I had coffee with a teacher friend of mine, she encouraged me to reconsider public school, she also happens to be a public school teacher! So I told her that I wasn’t sure I could do it, I didn’t attend college so how could I teach a child?

“You are very bright, you can do this if you want to”.

Her words changed everything, I am scared, but fear be damned as I believe wholeheartedly this will be the best thing for him.

I’m curious if anyone here became something they never thought they would? What changed your outlook? Did you consider yourself successful in the end?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So involved on an internet forum.

All my life I was computer/technology/mobile phone adverse.
I never had a mobile phone; I never wanted one; I never owned a computer or had gone on the internet. I had zero desire to do so.

In 2002 my DH came home and brought me a mobile phone and insisted I start using it because he was tired of not being able to get in touch with me and wanted me to join the 21st century lol.
I very reluctantly accepted the phone and the rest is history. I still refused to text (until many years later when it was free to do so with the phone plan haha) and refused to get on the internet.

Until 2006 when I had a good reason to do so.
And here I am.
On Pricescope since 2008 and on the internet daily.

If you had asked me back in the 1990s or early 2000s where I would be today I definitely would never have guessed here.

:)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more if I may.

Back in 2000 I was recruited by a health clinic who worked solely with adults (and some children) with intellectual and developmental disabilities. I never thought I would be good working with individuals who have disabilities (because I never had) and my DH convinced me to give it a try. He was sure I would be great working with this patient population and that I could make a difference. His confidence in me gave me the courage to accept the position. Even my SIL encouraged me to take the job as she thought I could really help this under-served population.

So I reluctantly and nervously accepted the position not sure I was up to the task. And wow, it was life changing for me and my patients and I am so thankful I took that opportunity and didn't let fear stand in my way. It affected me profoundly in a good way and I hope it helped the people I worked with just as much. It was an honor and a privilege working with my wonderful patients and to this day I am grateful and thankful and miss them.

@YadaYadaYada good luck on your newest adventure. I know not only will you do it you will do it well and make a difference too. To the people who matter the most in your life.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
fat....I worked so hard for the last 7 years to lose weight and keep it off..then covid hit and everything went to hell in a hand basket...I have gained probably around 10 pounds, I been avoiding my scales but my clothes tell me...I am so upset with myself

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Austina, so bloody old beats the alternative though!

@Made in London @diamondringlover, I really feel your pain. I’ve been fat to thin and back to fat, it is a struggle and the pandemic was no help in this area.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, I guess sometimes we need others to give us a little push to try new things or challenges. No doubt you were great working with people with disabilities, you are very empathetic, not a trait everyone has. I also remember that you have shared previously that your DH really got you involved in PS, funny how it becomes part of our lives.

Thanks for the well wishes with my son, I hope I am making the right decision. I want him to learn how to think and not what to think, that doesn’t seem to be inline with public education these days.

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
One of my oldest friends has been homeschooling her four children since last year. They have never done better academically and are all now straight A students. She did not go to college and struggled with school as long as I've known her.

I never thought I would become a college professor. I started college at 16, was kicked out, went back to another school, was kicked out (3 times!) and then had my daughter and another career in the culinary arts. Oh and also lots of drama and very hard times. At some point I went back to school, graduated right before I turned 30 and spent the next few years trying to make up for "lost time" since I felt so behind in life. In hindsight the "lost time" was really all in my head. There are no rules on how anyone lives their lives, except I put so many rules on myself since I felt like a failure.

I gained experience in my field, went to grad school and now I teach at the school that kicked me out multiple times. I was also told "you'll never be allowed back here." Go figure.

Everyone has their own measures of success. For me at one point it was having a fancy title or large salary. Proving that I was not a screw up. My feelings have changed after taking care of a newborn and 12 year old during a global pandemic. To me success is now having the luxury of spending time with my family. I am happily taking a pay cut for better quality of life and flexibility to be with my husband and kids. That means leaving my high profile full time job to teach full time; instead of having the full time plus part time teaching.

Having a college degree does not equal intelligence or capabilities, especially when it comes to what we do as moms for our children. We know what is best for them! A mother's love can move mountains.

You got this, I think you will be great!

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
@missy, I guess sometimes we need others to give us a little push to try new things or challenges. No doubt you were great working with people with disabilities, you are very empathetic, not a trait everyone has. I also remember that you have shared previously that your DH really got you involved in PS, funny how it becomes part of our lives.

Thanks for the well wishes with my son, I hope I am making the right decision. I want him to learn how to think and not what to think, that doesn’t seem to be inline with public education these days.

Yes... HOW to think!!! I'm telling you, you got this! ;)2

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow @ProfessorBling what a story, it demonstrates a lot of resilience to change course, reevaluate and not give up. I’m so glad you have been able to find a way to spend more time with your family, IMO that is the most important. Also thank you for the support, I am lucky to even have the option to homeschool so I’m thankful for that.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MRBXXXFVVS1, I’m so sorry, that is very difficult to have to stay so isolated for an extended amount of time.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... the owner of another dog.

I honestly thought my last dog was a one-off after he survived an accident that killed his dad, my late partner.

However, he left a huge void when he died after being with me for nearly 13 years, and I decided to get another dog to fill some of that void.

So glad I did.

DK =)2

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
... the owner of another dog.
Same! I just brought home a pup after we lost our beloved pooch last year after 17 blessed years!
They really can bring so much joy!

@YadaYadaYada I have zero doubt that you can handle this! Find some local support, a good online program and bring lots of love and patience. You got this!! :clap:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So confident!

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
@YadaYadaYada I "homeschooled" my son since grade 7. Calvert Homeschool. It was 1999, no PC at home. No online schooling. He got his books and studied alone. He finished 7th grade at public school in Cary, NC. He was a promising young pianist, performing and participating in multiple national and international competitions and because of his busy schedule we decided to start homeschool. We came to the USA a year before so his English was not perfect (mine was close to Neanderthal). But he worked hard and did exceptionally well. Grades 9-12 he "attended" American School of Correspondence. Also no help was needed from me or my husband. We got 1 PC and high speed internet later but my son did paperwork and mailed it. Good luck to you and your child! I recommend finding families that also do homeschooling (a local group of parents, maybe check Facebook, I typed homeschool groups near me and FB showed me 3 groups!!!).

I never thought I would leave California and move to a different state. Looks like it is going to happen...My husband wants us to move to Utah.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Have a career in technology!

I always told myself I was bad at math and science, or anything too technical. I had a computer science teacher who tried and tried to encourage me to see my gifts in the area of web design. I ignored him and thought he was wrong, women can’t be technically minded, right?!

I went to art school and focused on humanities. I avoided math and science classes like the plague.

My career took many twists and turns and I wound up working at a tech company as a writer supporting the sales and marketing team.

I love learning about the product. The more technical, the more I gravitated towards it. I now work in user experience design and am getting my Master’s of Science in human-computer interaction. I had to take a lot of classes to catch up, but I LOVE it!

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock

I always told myself I was bad at math and science, or anything too technical. I had a computer science teacher who tried and tried to encourage me to see my gifts in the area of web design. I ignored him and thought he was wrong, women can’t be technically minded, right?!

I went to art school and focused on humanities. I avoided math and science classes like the plague.

My career took many twists and turns and I wound up working at a tech company as a writer supporting the sales and marketing team.

I love learning about the product. The more technical, the more I gravitated towards it. I now work in user experience design and am getting my Master’s of Science in human-computer interaction. I had to take a lot of classes to catch up, but I LOVE it!

AWESOME!!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dk168 and @Slick1, I’m so glad you both found joy again with a dog. They are so wonderful and make life so much sweeter.

@AprilBaby, oh confidence is a great thing to have, I thing we get better at confidence as we get older. Not saying you’re old though!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing that @Musia! It really helps to know others have been successful homeschool teachers. That is a big move CA to UT, I hope it goes smoothly and you get settled in easily.

That is awesome @Cerulean, what an inspiration to women and girls too. I’m glad you found something you love doing, that is really a gift.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for sharing that @Musia! It really helps to know others have been successful homeschool teachers. That is a big move CA to UT, I hope it goes smoothly and you get settled in easily.

That is awesome @Cerulean, what an inspiration to women and girls too. I’m glad you found something you love doing, that is really a gift.

It took me until my mid 20s to figure out, and I finally got my dream job years later at 30! Very grateful that I persevered.

It’s so funny…I flunked statistics and other math classes in high school, and they’ve been some of my favorite classes in grad school! When I was younger I’d give up before I even started. I won’t make the same mistake again!

Your story about homeschooling is amazing. It sounds like you have all of the talent you need to pursue this new path. :)

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
A regular old (mostly SAHMed) mom. I even have the fence to prove it. :lol-2:
I'm going to have to figure out a new career path, as they're almost gone now.

@YadaYadaYada, don't sweat the small stuff-you've got this!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ItsMainelyYou, regular old mom is an important job whether SAHM or working. I send you good wishes in finding your next path. Thank you as well for the support!

GeliL

Shiny_Rock

As someone with a bachelors in Art History and is now a software engineer, I resonate with your sentiment! I never thought I could code, but I started to love it after doing an Art History+Computer Science interdisciplinary Master's degree. I think someone equated coding to painting, and that made a lot of sense to me haha! None of my family members would have ever imagined that I would be working in this field.

Another thing I never thought I would be is into pearls. I used to think of them as boring when I was young, but then Mikimoto pearls changed my life and I am now in the pearl world DEEP.

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
As someone with a bachelors in Art History and is now a software engineer, I resonate with your sentiment! I never thought I could code, but I started to love it after finding out when doing an Art History+Computer Science interdisciolinary degree. I think someone equated coding to painting, and that made a lot of sense to me haha! None of my family members would have ever imagined that I would be working in this field.

Another thing I never thought I would be is into pearls. I used to think of them as boring when I was young, but then Mikimoto pearls changed my life and I am now in the pearl world DEEP.

Are we twins? Haha!

I’m not a developer but I am an information architect, so work with developers and know enough to be dangerous in a few coding languages.

I always thought pearls were SO boring and old fashioned. Now…ugh they are just enchanting to me! It’s funny how we evolve…

GeliL

Shiny_Rock
Are we twins? Haha!

I’m not a developer but I am an information architect, so work with developers and know enough to be dangerous in a few coding languages.

I always thought pearls were SO boring and old fashioned. Now…ugh they are just enchanting to me! It’s funny how we evolve…

Definitely sisters from another mother ;-)

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never thought that I would become so complacent in my career because I have always been goal-driven and pushed myself to accomplish all of my potential. I am starting year 25 of teaching in a couple of weeks and I have had the degree, credentials and opportunity to be a principal for the past 10 years. My district has really encouraged me to take on leadership roles and I keep declining their offers. Who am I? When did I become so complacent?

At first my rationale was that I had to focus my evening hours on my DD— which I have zero regrets about! I was there for all her after-school activities, fun evenings at Disneyland, etc., and I treasure that period in our lives. I should mention that I was very protective about our time bc I shared custody with her dad. But she moved out 5 years ago and I’m still not inclined to move forward.

Most of my good friends have taken on leadership roles even while they have little kids at home. And here I am, with every possible opportunity and yet no desire. So. There you have it. I’ve never thought I’d become so complacent. I do admit that teaching makes me feel accomplished and when the valedictorian gives me a shout-out at graduation and comes back to say hello years later, I can’t exactly say that I’m missing out on being a principal who deals with parents, teacher drama, late hours of regulations and policies, district politics…ugh…no thank you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results