shape
carat
color
clarity

Female employees bring harassment and unequal pay lawsuit against Zales, Kay, Jared

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I can’t tell you how many men told me I only got my most recent promotion because my (male) boss was leaving and the company is on a big women in management initiative.

Okay, I mean, I’ve been running this for that man for over three years while he took credit for it but sure, it was definitely because of the women in management initiative.

It’s pretty infuriating. I work in tech and not to toot my own horn but I am just as good as some men we have with a decade more experience than I have. Being a woman in tech is crap, sometimes, because you’re assumed to be a token hire or to be some aggressive butch nerd who wishes she was a guy.

I’m neither, I’m just good at what I do. Sue me, I guess.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If we were in a state of affairs where the majority of incoming google engineers, or law partners, or high powered consultants were minorities, maybe I would start to wonder if an overcorrection were at work or if “reverse discrimination” were real. But that hasn’t happened. Instead people are overcoming their many implicit biases by intentionally seeking out more diversity in their hiring. And we still aren’t close to any of these incoming classes of professionals even reflecting the ethnic and gender make up of our country.

At any rate I don’t think insulting my character or judgment was necessary.

Pimberly

Rough_Rock
I swear every time I hear about a woman being promoted there’s a man or five nearby to say it’s only because she’s a woman. I guess that’s why women in power positions out number men 20 to 1... oh, wait.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I can’t tell you how many men told me I only got my most recent promotion because my (male) boss was leaving and the company is on a big women in management initiative.

Okay, I mean, I’ve been running this for that man for over three years while he took credit for it but sure, it was definitely because of the women in management initiative.

It’s pretty infuriating. I work in tech and not to toot my own horn but I am just as good as some men we have with a decade more experience than I have. Being a woman in tech is crap, sometimes, because you’re assumed to be a token hire or to be some aggressive butch nerd who wishes she was a guy.

I’m neither, I’m just good at what I do. Sue me, I guess.

But maybe they’re correct, that if it weren’t for an intentional program to fix the institutional misogyny, you would have gotten passed over like all the competent women before you.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel about this the same way as I do about affirmative action - these programs aren't long term fixes, they are window dressing to let companies feel/look good while failing to take the real needed action. But I'd rather have an incorrect short term fix than no fix at all. I think we have to acknowledge some people will get caught in the middle due to bad luck or bad timing... Many more (typically women, minorities, low income folks) have suffered at the current system. It won't get solved until we make fundamental changes as a society that, again, are slow and hard work.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is off the subject of abusive practices by Signet, but sometimes the whole “empower women in the workplace!” thing becomes a schtick that just gets old. I’m good at what I do which is why I have the job I have and initiatives like this also just encourage people to feel that women didn’t earn the jobs they have.
Yes, thank you! I was at a huge international company meeting last year and our CEO made a point to have all the females stand up and be recognized, which I found really uncomfortable.

For me personally, equality means that my gender doesn't come into the discussion, regardless of it being a negative OR a positive.

Madrokaleb

Rough_Rock
It's an old topic, but I just want to mention that harassment in the workplace is unacceptable and that, unfortunately, many large company executives still allow such behavior

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results