shape
carat
color
clarity

Fell in love with these massive diamonds for hoop earrings but didn't get the size. Help!

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
Please help me approximate the size of these stones! I fell in love with them at a fancy antique show they were 17k! And I want to recreate them with lab stones but didn't think to ask for measurements while I was at the show. These are HAUNTING me!

I think I remember the seller saying they were about "40 points" each but I don't think they were about half carat each?
IMG_1698.jpeg
IMG_1699.jpeg
IMG_1697.jpeg

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That you in the selfie?
If so
Just eyeballing
the stones in the earring seem to be 1.5x the diameter of the eternity on your left hand

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
Please help me approximate the size of these stones! I fell in love with them at a fancy antique show they were 17k! And I want to recreate them with lab stones but didn't think to ask for measurements while I was at the show. These are HAUNTING me!
IMG_1698.jpeg
IMG_1699.jpeg
IMG_1697.jpeg

That you in the selfie?
If so
Just eyeballing
the stones in the earring seem to be 1.5x the diameter of the eternity on your left hand

Yes it's me! My band has the tiniest stones I think they're much larger!

concun

Shiny_Rock
My guess is that they are 4 pointer each. I have a 5 stone ring that size and it would look similarly to the earrings. If not it would be 3 but not 5 pointer.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No clue, but love your nails! :kiss2:

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
My guess is that they are 4 pointer each. I have a 5 stone ring that size and it would look similarly to the earrings. If not it would be 3 but not 5 pointer.

Can you share a pic of your ring please?

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
The vendor's estimate of about 0.4ct seems in the ballpark.

Looking at your second picture, and measuring off the screen, the stone diameter seems to be a bit more than 1/4 of the apparent width of your thumb. If you take this as 20mm (median female width, from the net, is 20.6mm), the stone diameter would be 5mm, corresponding to 0.46ct by internet charts.

This is very rough and ready - your thumb may not be average (guess smaller?), and the viewing angle is not straight-on. You could probably do better by trying to reproduce the viewing angle and using a ruler. But 0.4-0.5ct does not seem way out.

I think I remember the seller saying they were about "40 points" each but I don't think they were about half carat each?
IMG_1698.jpeg
IMG_1699.jpeg
IMG_1697.jpeg

I would eyeball these at ~0.35-0.4ct each, visually, just going off of my own diamond hoop explorations.

These are 0.3ct each, btw, if you want some inspo: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ps-a-classic-staple-piece.277083/post-5215011

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
The vendor's estimate of about 0.4ct seems in the ballpark.

Looking at your second picture, and measuring off the screen, the stone diameter seems to be a bit more than 1/4 of the apparent width of your thumb. If you take this as 20mm (median female width, from the net, is 20.6mm), the stone diameter would be 5mm, corresponding to 0.46ct by internet charts.

This is very rough and ready - your thumb may not be average (guess smaller?), and the viewing angle is not straight-on. You could probably do better by trying to reproduce the viewing angle and using a ruler. But 0.4-0.5ct does not seem way out.

Thank you!! Yes I tried using my thumb as a reference and using my calipers but I came here for the experts to weigh in. And I also wasn't sure if my nail length is still the same haha I guess I could go off of width too. Hmm

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
We can get close by saying between .30 and .40 but I don’t think we can get more specific!

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
So I contacted Alex park and he said they could make me these now I'm just figuring out if I should do them in yellow gold or platinum?!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Yay! Personally, I’d go white gold. Keep that icy color and save myself a little weight.

Do you mind sharing the price he’s quoting?

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
I would also do white gold. I prefer diamonds set in a white metal, and as noted above lighter than platinum. They won't get the wear that a ring does, so you don't have to worry about maintenance rhodium plating.

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
I would also do white gold. I prefer diamonds set in a white metal, and as noted above lighter than platinum. They won't get the wear that a ring does, so you don't have to worry about maintenance rhodium plating.

White gold has been so hit/miss for me. I react in a terrible rash/blistering to some of the alloys (likely nickel?)

I have a pair of white gold hoops (that thankfully never gave me itching problems) but they never got love because I'm a yellow gold girlie at heart.

So I had them dipped in yellow gold at my local jeweler and now I wear them for special occasions

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
Yay! Personally, I’d go white gold. Keep that icy color and save myself a little weight.

Do you mind sharing the price he’s quoting?

$2100 for 18k yellow gold
And $2500 for platinum

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
If you’re a yellow goldie at heart, there’s your answer! Love that wedding set, btw!

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, definitely go with what you love most!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results