shape
carat
color
clarity

Feeling overwhelmed...$8-9k budget for round brilliant

ryan23

Rough_Rock
So the other stone arrived, and my jeweler sent me a video of them side by side. The 1.71 is on top:

https://giphy.com/gifs/NSsLy90iLYXw4/html5

His comments were that the 1.71 is definitely whiter, and noticeably bigger. He said if cut of the H&A stone was a 100%, the 1.71 was a 97% and for that small difference he would probably choose the bigger stone if it was him buying for his wife. He also said the crystals on the 1.71 were white, which is very rare and a better type of inclusion than black ones. He even thinks the 1.71 may be "more crisp."

So with all that said, I think I'll just go with the 1.71. It's bigger, whiter and the brilliance difference is apparently negligible or favors the 1.71. Seems like the only thing I'd be giving up is the H&A designation. Hopefully I am choosing the right one!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the other stone arrived, and my jeweler sent me a video of them side by side. The 1.71 is on top:

https://giphy.com/gifs/NSsLy90iLYXw4/html5

His comments were that the 1.71 is definitely whiter, and noticeably bigger. He said if cut of the H&A stone was a 100%, the 1.71 was a 97% and for that small difference he would probably choose the bigger stone if it was him buying for his wife. He also said the crystals on the 1.71 were white, which is very rare and a better type of inclusion than black ones. He even thinks the 1.71 may be "more crisp."

So with all that said, I think I'll just go with the 1.71. It's bigger, whiter and the brilliance difference is apparently negligible or favors the 1.71. Seems like the only thing I'd be giving up is the H&A designation. Hopefully I am choosing the right one!

I think I'd go with the 1.71 as well. Don't forget to come back and post lots and lots of photos!!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd also be inclined to go with the 1.7!

ryan23

Rough_Rock
Thanks, will post a lot of pics! I'm working with Yekutial now to choose a setting. Hopefully I am not becoming too much of a pain in his rear in trying to find my ideal setting..

Last edited:

ryan23

Rough_Rock
Ring bought! One last question because it is driving me mad...

Yekutial gave me the option of sizing the ring now to a 5 (her size per Tiffany's), or just having her bring it in after I propose and sizing it then. He suggested the latter, as if the 5 is not correct, then by doing it later I'm only resizing once as opposed to twice...

This may just be me not knowing, but I guess he takes the setting/ring I actually saw in the store (size 6, stock), and uses that instead of creating a new one in a size 5? For some reason I thought they just "order" a new ring in whatever size you tell them for the diamond you choose.

Seems odd for me to propose with a size 6 when I know she is a size 5, but only resizing it once I guess is preferable? Or is that just a bonus of me proposing in the same city where I purchased it? Just confused here on what to do.. It's a micropave on the side ring.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do it later. She may opt for sizing beads in lieu of actual sizing, and if she plans to stack it with a band (or several), she'll want it a bit looser as stacking snugs things up.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd do it later, but ask Yekutiel to put a temporary ring sizer in it so she can wear it initially; a 6 will fall right off of her finger!

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ditto on sizing later. I am a 5.5 but my e-ring is a 5.75 and my wedding band a 6 simply because i really dislike my rings to be snug. We also live in a really hot and humid area and my fingers swell in the summertime. my e-ring is loose in the winter but fits nicely in summer.

i like ILikeShiny's suggestion of a temp sizer so she can wear it right away.

ryan23

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much. I have no idea what a temp sizer is (though I can guess) so I will ask Yekutial to put that in there!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results