shape
carat
color
clarity

Feeling overwhelmed...$8-9k budget for round brilliant

ryan23

Rough_Rock
So I've gone from knowing basically nothing about diamonds a few weeks ago, to reading everything I can and visiting multiple stores/jewelers to understand and view potential options for an engagement ring. It seems once I finally settle on something, I always find out something else that I should take into consideration. Now I'm a bit afraid of missing a key factor and buying a "wrong" diamond.

This forum is rather great and has a wealth of information. So I thought maybe I would just ask the experts here what the best strategy is.

Sparkle/brilliance/cut is the most important for me. Ever since I found out about fluorescence, I have been very intrigued by it and it seems like a "free" way to maximize value. I want the total ring to be about 10-11k out the door, hence the 8-9k budget for the center stone. What's the best way to go about this?

Some factors that probably matter:
- Ring will be a size 5, with pave stones on the side
- I color is fine with me, potentially J if the fluorescence will make it look whiter?
- I'd like to be within the 1.4-1.7 carat range
- Eye clean is fine with me, I'm not a clarity nut. As long as I can't see it with my naked eye that works (assuming it doesn't effect sparkle/brilliance)
- From my research and some very helpful threads here, it seems I do not need the super ideal / hearts and arrows. An ideal cut will be fine.
- I recently found out about these proportions for maximum light brilliance and the HCA numbers, etc. How important are slight deviations from these? For example, I found a round brilliant with these stats: 1.7ct, I, VS2, GIA XXX, Medium Fluorescence, Crown Angle 34.5, Depth 60.7, Pavilion Angle 40.8, Medium Girdle, Table 59%. That fits everything but has a 59% table...does that disqualify it?

The Brian Gavin Blue collection seems to be a great source, and they actually had an SI2 / J color blue that was in my budget, but I didn't pull the trigger and it sold. But is J too low a color or does the blue mitigate that?

I'm open to all ideas. At this point I swear I think I know more than some of the jewelers I met with. There are two local ones that seem very helpful but now I'm just not sure. But then again, if I buy it online without seeing it (not like if I saw it I'm an expert) could be risky absent something like WF or BG.

Finally, is it best to just get the ring/setting at the same place as the diamond? Seems easiest.

Sorry for all the newbie questions, but I will be very appreciative of all your responses!

Ryan

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I've gone from knowing basically nothing about diamonds a few weeks ago, to reading everything I can and visiting multiple stores/jewelers to understand and view potential options for an engagement ring. It seems once I finally settle on something, I always find out something else that I should take into consideration. Now I'm a bit afraid of missing a key factor and buying a "wrong" diamond.

This forum is rather great and has a wealth of information. So I thought maybe I would just ask the experts here what the best strategy is.

Sparkle/brilliance/cut is the most important for me. Ever since I found out about fluorescence, I have been very intrigued by it and it seems like a "free" way to maximize value. I want the total ring to be about 10-11k out the door, hence the 8-9k budget for the center stone. What's the best way to go about this?

Some factors that probably matter:
- Ring will be a size 5, with pave stones on the side
- I color is fine with me, potentially J if the fluorescence will make it look whiter?
- I'd like to be within the 1.4-1.7 carat range
- Eye clean is fine with me, I'm not a clarity nut. As long as I can't see it with my naked eye that works (assuming it doesn't effect sparkle/brilliance)
- From my research and some very helpful threads here, it seems I do not need the super ideal / hearts and arrows. An ideal cut will be fine.
- I recently found out about these proportions for maximum light brilliance and the HCA numbers, etc. How important are slight deviations from these? For example, I found a round brilliant with these stats: 1.7ct, I, VS2, GIA XXX, Medium Fluorescence, Crown Angle 34.5, Depth 60.7, Pavilion Angle 40.8, Medium Girdle, Table 59%. That fits everything but has a 59% table...does that disqualify it?

The Brian Gavin Blue collection seems to be a great source, and they actually had an SI2 / J color blue that was in my budget, but I didn't pull the trigger and it sold. But is J too low a color or does the blue mitigate that?

I'm open to all ideas. At this point I swear I think I know more than some of the jewelers I met with. There are two local ones that seem very helpful but now I'm just not sure. But then again, if I buy it online without seeing it (not like if I saw it I'm an expert) could be risky absent something like WF or BG.

Finally, is it best to just get the ring/setting at the same place as the diamond? Seems easiest.

Sorry for all the newbie questions, but I will be very appreciative of all your responses!

Ryan

You probably do know more now than the local jeweler. Hang in there and the experts will help you find a perfect diamond. Then pass along the info learned!

ryan23

Rough_Rock
^ That was pretty fast. Can I ask how you chose that one over the other true hearts in the same size/price range?

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My wife has a Brian Gavin Blue that is a K with medium blue fluor and it faces up quite white (see the ring stone in my avatar).

BGD has two K coloured BG Blue stones around the $8-9k mark however both of them are reserved which means that you could be out of luck trying to source a BG Blue with that carat weight for the time being (lots of new inventory under a carat though going by the inventory list now). Alternatively, you could have a chat with on of their reps (I would try to talk with Lesley Harris) and ask whether or not there is going to be any new BG Blue inventory around the 1.5ct mark in J/K SI1/VS2 specs coming in soon.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ That was pretty fast. Can I ask how you chose that one over the other true hearts in the same size/price range?
The cut quality is top notch. It fits every single requirement you listed. JA is a reputable and True Hearts brand is well respected. More importantly, this stone is cheap. You wont find another AGS000 with this cut quality at this price. To be honest, this can be easily listed 2k more. I dont know what JA is thinking.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
the stone that @flyingpig found is jackpot! Spread of a 1.5 but you avoid the sticker jump if it had actually been 1.5ct+

Inclusion plot is nice and clean. ASET is bewdiful. You'd be crazy to not snap this one up!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cut quality is top notch. It fits every single requirement you listed. JA is a reputable and True Hearts brand is well respected. More importantly, this stone is cheap. You wont find another AGS000 with this cut quality at this price. To be honest, this can be easily listed 2k more. I dont know what JA is thinking.

Just curious what the price on it was? Its a beautiful stone!

ryan23

Rough_Rock
Someone took it! :wall:

I guess that is the downside of posting the link on here :(

Coincidentally, when I found that 1.5 blue on Brian Gavin's site I emailed one of those bloggers about it and it was gone the next day too.

ryan23

Rough_Rock
My wife has a Brian Gavin Blue that is a K with medium blue fluor and it faces up quite white (see the ring stone in my avatar).

BGD has two K coloured BG Blue stones around the $8-9k mark however both of them are reserved which means that you could be out of luck trying to source a BG Blue with that carat weight for the time being (lots of new inventory under a carat though going by the inventory list now). Alternatively, you could have a chat with on of their reps (I would try to talk with Lesley Harris) and ask whether or not there is going to be any new BG Blue inventory around the 1.5ct mark in J/K SI1/VS2 specs coming in soon.
bmfang, do you have any pictures of your Brian Gavin Blue stone?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am curious as to what kind of setting you would like? Solitaire, pavè, halo? Perhaps, more of your overall budget can go toward the stone and less toward the setting. You can always upgrade the setting in the future.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am curious as to what kind of setting you would like? Solitaire, pavè, halo? Perhaps, more of your overall budget can go toward the stone and less toward the setting. You can always upgrade the setting in the future.

He indicated pave on band, so solitaire?

I'd stick with an I or better in color if in a solitaire, or a J if in a setting that hides the side view.

ryan23

Rough_Rock

Wow, that is a pretty white looking diamond there. Great choice.

Indeed, great find by you.

He indicated pave on band, so solitaire?

I'd stick with an I or better in color if in a solitaire, or a J if in a setting that hides the side view.

Is setting different than the band of the ring? Pardon my ignorance, but I'm guessing it is given what you folks were talking about. So I guess solitaire (meaning diamonds only on the shank/shoulders of the ring itself, and then the center stone atop).

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is setting different than the band of the ring? Pardon my ignorance, but I'm guessing it is given what you folks were talking about. So I guess solitaire (meaning diamonds only on the shank/shoulders of the ring itself, and then the center stone atop).

Yes, that's a solitaire. :)

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, that is a pretty white looking diamond there. Great choice.

@ryan23, I had this set in an 18kt white gold six prong Freya solitaire from BGD. Some on PS would recommend not setting stones lower than an I/J in a solitaire (like what msop04 has suggested), but it is really up to you and your partner as to what you both are comfortable with. For branded super ideal stones from WF, BGD or CBI, I'm comfortable with setting stones up to a K in colour in solitaires. For stones from JA, I would be a little more careful.

Some additional pics so you get an idea of how the K looks in daylight settings (side profile and face up).

Side profile (the stones in the studs behind are a matched pair of I VVS2 Brian Gavin Signature H&A stones)
IMG_4859.JPG

Looking at them face up
IMG_4863.JPG

ryan23

Rough_Rock
Can I get your guys thought on this stone?

1.81, J, SI1, HCA score of 0.7 so great proportions (meets BG standards for example). Here are the actual diamond photos (they are the same diamond) and it's in my budget. The first pic makes it look yellower than the second (freeze frame from 360). Too yellow or too many inclusions?

da.jpg

and

da3.png

View attachment 503812

View attachment 503813

Last edited:

defy525

Rough_Rock
The cut of the first stone looks better. Slight yellowish from the photo. Did you campare the color on side view?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are the same stone. I like

defy525

Rough_Rock
Some additional pics so you get an idea of how the K looks in daylight settings (side profile and face up).
Side profile (the stones in the studs behind are a matched pair of I VVS2 Brian Gavin Signature H&A stones)
IMG_4859.JPG
Looking at them face up
IMG_4863.JPG
Beautiful ring with that setting : D
The K really looks great, is it the BGD blue series? May I know how much you paid for the stone :razz:
(remove the exif from your first photo, it includes the gps location, ask the moderator to remove it first maybe)

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring with that setting : D
The K really looks great, is it the BGD blue series? May I know how much you paid for the stone :razz:
(remove the exif from your first photo, it includes the gps location, ask the moderator to remove it first maybe)

Thanks for the heads up @defy525, will have to edit these photos manually on my computer to try and remove the EXIF data. Uploaded them from my phone's photo album so no wonder the exif data is there...

As for the stone, yes it is a K VS2 with medium blue fluor just shy of 1ct (0.962ct) from the Brian Gavin Blue series. As for price, let's just say around USD3.4k for the stone itself after negotiation. Lesley from BGD was a pleasure to deal with (so much so that I went back shortly after the ring purchase to pick up the martini studs for a very competitive price after negotiation with Lesley again via live chat and after I wasn't able to find equivalent stones at Whiteflash at the time that were price competitive). Bought the stone "blind" and solely off the AGS report as there was no imagery on the listing when I saw it that weekend (the stone was on its way back to BGD from being graded by AGS).

My wife is not a stickler for having a 1ct stone (though I have upgrade plans in the future) so this essentially got us the spread of 1ct without needing to pay the 1ct premium. She's happy with the fluor as well so if I was to upgrade, it would be to either a larger BG Blue (hopefully with strong or very strong blue fluor) or one of the Black series stones (unless I can find a regular BG Signature H&A that has comparable specs to a Black by BG stone).

Last edited:

defy525

Rough_Rock
@bmfang
wow, so so so attractive price!! I don't know you can negotiate the price in live chat :D Even without images, it is quite safe to buy in BGD I guess, but of cause you will feel much comfortable to see the diamond before purchasing.
My fiancée hints that she wants one with 1ct, so I have to pay the premium:whistle: My stone was USD5.8k, slightly expensive compared with other similar stones.
I like the upgrade policy in BGD and whiteflash, much better than JA.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@defy525, best time to buy at BGD without negotiation is when they have their sales (like they have on now).

After you asked me about the price of my wife's stone, thought I'd go peruse what is on sale atm at BGD and JA for a comparable Ideal cut with medium blue fluor. BGD doesn't have something comparable (closest is a 0.94ct J VS1 BG Blue for USD$4k). JA doesn't really have one either (closest is a 0.93 ct J VS2 True Hearts with medium blue fluor with a rather large black crystal inclusion in the middle of the table for around USD$3.9k).

Was lucky to have picked my wife's stone up when I did. There was another BG Blue around the same carat weight listed that same weekend without images that I was considering. If I hadn't talked to Lesley that Sunday afternoon (Aussie time), I would have likely missed out on either of those stones. That other stone was reserved the next day (by another PS poster who bought it for a pendant).

Lesson to all of this: if you have funds available and you see a stone you like, put it on reserve before someone else snatches it away from right under you! It only takes a few hours or a day for someone to beat you to it and then you have to begin the search all over again. :wall:

ryan23

Rough_Rock
The cut of the first stone looks better. Slight yellowish from the photo. Did you campare the color on side view?

They are the same stone. I like

Here are some side shots. I think I should pull the trigger? At about $8400. Looking at the photos again I guess my only worry is if it is eye clean or not...

da4.png

da5.png

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Remember fluorescence only helps a stone in fluorescent lighting. The sun has some fluorescence. When there is no fluorescence the stone will look its graded color.

Want to say I love that Freya setting from the side view.

ryan23

Rough_Rock
One more question for you experts here...

The report on the diamond - in addition to the clarity chart - says "Clouds are not shown. Surface graining is not shown." Is that of any concern?

defy525

Rough_Rock
Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results