shape
carat
color
clarity

Feedback please about this ring...such a unique setting

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
Hi friends! I'm looking for opinions and feedback about this ring, which I spotted online. The ring is being offered by a very reputable antique & estate jewelry dealer at a very generous price. I have never seen anything like this and I particularly love the setting. I've been searching off and on for a 2 mm +/- diamond eternity band to wear with a new solitaire project I have underway. I think this ring would work nicely and if not, I love it nonetheless!

Via email communications, the lovely dealer said, "The ring is not very old at all and she thinks sizing will be tricky" which I knew (the age) given the overall condition of the piece and the diamond cuts. The ring is 1.5 sizes too large for me, so it requires a trip to my jeweler for down-sizing. My jeweler has impeccably & flawlessly resized at least 2 other full eternity bands for me, so I have confidence.

Can folks please tell me something more about this ring and the setting (French Set, shared prong, etc), as well as the possible age of the ring? Also, do you think this setting could be down-sized a bit? The price is too good to pass on and I love the uniqueness of this ring! Wondering if the ring can be found at a similar price in my size?

I tried to show the best pics from the website that show the ring and the setting's unique edge:

Image 10-5-18 at 1.09 PM.jpeg

Image 10-5-18 at 1.38 PM.jpeg

More details:
14K white gold eternity band
0.90 carats round brilliant, near colorless, included diamonds
Band Width: 2mm
Total Item Weight (g): 1.8
Size: 7

From the website: This item has been appraised and inspected by a certified gemologist, with grading done under GIA standards as the mounting permits. The condition is very good with negligible wear commensurate with age.

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• Image 10-5-18 at 1.38 PM.jpeg
    Image 10-5-18 at 1.38 PM.jpeg
    12.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

sparlie

Shiny_Rock
if you decide not to purchase this, could you send me the contact info? I am a size 7! Thanks!

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
if you decide not to purchase this, could you send me the contact info? I am a size 7! Thanks!

:mrgreen2: should I interpret your post as a "yes, you like the ring?" It's gorgeous, isn't it?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd pass - the stones look very included and the description says 'included diamonds' so I'm skeptical at just how much they'd sparkle. Not worth it IMO.

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
I'd pass - the stones look very included and the description says 'included diamonds' so I'm skeptical at just how much they'd sparkle. Not worth it IMO.

@ac117 I ALWAYS value your opinion a whole lot. Because the diamonds were evaluated with GIA standards and I'm sure evaluated in the setting, inclusions could be anything from VS1 to I3, right? Thank you for taking the time to respond! Does anything else jump out regarding the setting? Any ideas?

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
@sparlie thanks for the feedback. I respect everyone's opinions. Per above, @ac117 is a "no-go" due to diamond inclusions. and I've always respected @ac117 and her input a lot.

As I view the ring with the post by @ac117 in mind, I do see some cloudiness now with a few of the diamonds. The photos are not great, so it's kinda hard to see the diamonds clearly. The diamonds I can view appear to be clear overall. It's a 2 mm band, right? So, my guess is the diamonds are 1.8 mm each or smaller. The seller has a 7-day return policy, FWIW.

I'm more concerned about the setting and it's ability to be re-sized, especially the potential cost. Makes zero sense to buy the ring at a great price-point and put lots of dollars out to re-size it IF I can easily locate a similar ring in my size, right?

As an aside, if I do purchase it and my jeweler cannot re-size it, I'll likely offer it on LT and DB, right? And I'll give you @sparlie a heads-up.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you consider wearing it on your right hand on a finger that wouldn’t require a resize?

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
@pearaffair thanks for replying! You and I have nearly identical tastes, right? Right hand won't work because I'm not much of a right-hand ring wearer...haven't worn a ring on that hand in decades...not sure why. You know I'm not a huge jewelry wearer...left-hand ring finger bling and earrings.

Also, believe-it-or-not, my right hand ring finger is about a 5.5-5.75 also :D

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ac117 I ALWAYS value your opinion a whole lot. Because the diamonds were evaluated with GIA standards and I'm sure evaluated in the setting, inclusions could be anything from VS1 to I3, right? Thank you for taking the time to respond! Does anything else jump out regarding the setting? Any ideas?

Honestly, they all look cloudy/milky to me. Being "evaluated" by GIA standards really doesn't mean much because that's just their guestimate. While the cutouts on the profile are nice, there's not a whole lot I could see from the setting but besides the clarity issues of the stones, I'm concerned about you getting an eternity ring that isn't your size to begin with but also that you don't have your new solitaire in hand to test it out with. What if you get your solitaire and now this band isn't the right height or doesn't match well, etc. I'd focus on getting your solitaire first and then play around with different bands - remember your wedding band with larger stones and how it never went properly with the erings you bought subsequently. Just trying to avoid you going through the same thing.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like and I am size 7!!

I was under the impression eternities can’t be resized?

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
@ac117 yes, you are so accurate and correct! My gosh, woman...you have a mind like a steel trap-lol. That's what my first husband used to say to me all the time...notice I said first husband (ex-husband of 25+ years).

Not to digress but I've stayed on the down-low overall regarding my new project for a bunch of reasons. Primarily, I feel like a real-jerk about my first ring and how it just didn't work out. I still feel awful about all of that because the setting is gorgeous, it's just not for me.

Also, honestly my head gets loopy with all the different PS posts about certain things. I feel like I'd make myself all my PS friends and the ring's designer CRAZY if I jumped onto PS for advice! So, for the most part, my thought has been to go with what seems to work with my next solitaire and not worry too much about stacking (wearing) the new ring with anything (although the designer does have the specs of my monster 3/4 eternity band, FWIW).

Thank you @ac117 you are the best always!

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
I like and I am size 7!!

I was under the impression eternities can’t be resized?

Hey kemosabe @whitewave I was going to give you and other friends a holler about this ring-thing! Seller is so so sweet...she is taking more accurate photos for me.

Eternity band re-sizing isn't necessarily undoable, at least that's not been my experience. FWIW, I've had no less than four eternity bands downsized. From what I've been told, downsizing depends on a number of factors but none more so than the skill and comfort level of the jeweler and yes, a number of considerations.

So, I've been told a number of factors like, 1) the overall age of the ring (I've had two resized that dated back to the Roaring 20s and the 1930s), 2) how much sizing "down" has to be done (cannot down-size too greatly), 3) the style of the setting and where the "break" or downsizing can happen, 4) the metal type (white gold is easier and less expensive to work with vs platinum), 5) the overall integrity of the ring, etc. can affect the success of the downsizing.

This is why I'm concerned about the overall condition and age, integrity of the setting. Those things make a huge difference.

I have two jewelers I've worked with. One guy is incredible with antique and vintage stuff. But he's about a 100 mile+ one-way trip from where I live now. He's in the outskirts of Detroit and I live closer to Toledo now. But he's so worth the trip.

Oh..before I forget... @whitewave @sparlie the seller just informed me this eternity band is part of a "set" she purchased. I guess the previous owner stacked the rings with something else. So, this ring apparently has a "twin" if you're interested.

Last edited:

sparlie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the heads up, but since ac117 gave her opinion I think I will pass. It sure helps with input from other PSers since I know so little about diamonds!

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
Well, thank you and I hear everyone!

With that said, the seller sent me a heap of additional photos and a video. The ring shows some sparkle in the new photos and video. And I am a sucker for pre-loved stuff; there's something about the unique setting that has drawn me in...and the price!

I think the seller is being extremely generous because she deals in all sorts of vintage jewelry, not just diamonds. But what do I know :mrgreen2:

I hope someone guesstimates about the age and type of setting!

Oh well...I'll keep researching and I'll keep y'all posted!

Fingers crossed!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As an aside, if I do purchase it and my jeweler cannot re-size it, I'll likely offer it on LT and DB, right? And I'll give you @sparlie a heads-up.
This dealer doesn't offer a no questions asked, return-for-full refund policy? If it's a final sale, that would be a deal breaker for me. Even if the diamonds themselves please you once you have the ring in hand, I don't think any of us PSers are as well positioned to offer an opinion re the viability of resizing (and cost of the job) as your trusted jeweler(s) can render upon examining the ring in real life.

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
@MollyMalone thanks for the reply. Yes, the dealer does accept returns. The cost of insuring and returning the ring would likely be close to the price I paid for the ring! Well, only kidding but not really.

Already thinking about repurposing the diamonds into a Stuller French Set Platinum 2 mm Eternity Band if the setting doesn't work out and the diamonds are decent.
https://www.stuller.com/products/123225/12934589/?groupId=195950&recommendationSource=SiteSearchRAC

If not, I'll gift it to someone with a Size 7 finger. =)2 It's all good! Thank you!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks pretty! I had an eternity sized down - perfectly - but it was channel set. It sounds like you have more experience than I in this area though. Keep us posted.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Already thinking about repurposing the diamonds into a Stuller French Set Platinum 2 mm Eternity Band if the setting doesn't work out and the diamonds are decent.
I am sorry, but the diamonds are not decent. They are cloudy and very included which is very easily noticeable in the photos. To unmount the diamonds and set them will be more expensive than simply buying the Stuller setting and having a reputable jeweler set nice sparkly stones in it. The band that you are looking needs to be $50 to be worth anything and even then it’s still not a good buy because of the poor quality of the stones and all the work involved. I would strongly advice that you pass on it.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would pass. Others have stated reasons above.

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
@motownmama thank you for the thumbs up! As you can see, you are in the vast minority! Thanks for posting
@partgypsy @SimoneDi thank you for taking the time to post. I appreciate it!

@SimoneDi you are one of many folks out here who I respect a whole lot! You obviously have lots of experience with and an eye for beautiful jewelry.

In your opinion, is there ever a time a piece is worth salvaging or keeping when the diamonds are not stellar (or even close to stellar)? When do you think an item warrants such? I've seen people on this forum speak about dismantling, or discarding pieces that I think one with an average, or "less than discerning" eye might gleefully own & wear.

I'm interested to know yours and other's opinions on this, if any.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SimoneDi you are one of many folks out here who I respect a whole lot! You obviously have lots of experience with and an eye for beautiful jewelry.

In your opinion, is there ever a time a piece is worth salvaging or keeping when the diamonds are not stellar (or even close to stellar)? When do you think an item warrants such? I've seen people on this forum speak about dismantling, or discarding pieces that I think one with an average, or "less than discerning" eye might gleefully own & wear.

I'm interested to know yours and other's opinions on this, if any.

In my opinion, the only time when it would be “worth” salvaging or repurposing an old piece with less than stellar stones is when that piece holds some sentimental value and is something that one already has in their possession. Some say: “A purchase is not a bargain if it’s not what you truly want.” I have always found a lot of wisdom in that statement. I think that it is easy to get lost or get caught into all the beautiful bling that people post and to simply want to have it all. But you already have been down the path of not ideal purchases and I would advice that you don’t go there again. Concentrate on your solitaire. I would also suggest that you pick a simpe stock setting for that. Once you have it, try out different bands and select the one that fits best your ring. Don’t make it complicated for yourself. I have done custom projects a few times and the next setting or band that I purchase will most likely be a stock piece. There is an immense gratification that comes with getting exactly what you are looking for and removing all doubt from the decision making process. That’s just my 2c.

Last edited:

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
@SimoneDi you are a very wise woman and what you say makes loads of sense! Thank you for replying to my question.

May I inquire further about specifics regarding the custom design process that have soured, or discouraged you from possibly embarking on another custom project (please pardon my words...soured, or discouraged...couldn't think of the proper word).

I'm not super-fussy about stacker bands, or wee-bands because as you likely already know, the band holding any sentimental value for me is my beloved Ben Moses 11-Diamond & Platinum 3/4 Eternity band. But "larger," or should I say more "costly" custom designed diamond ring projects can create some anxiety, right?

Frankly, I get anxiety just entering big (or small, for that matter) bright jewelry stores that sell diamond jewelry (or any brick 'n mortar store selling bling). Thus, my fond memories of Ben Moses. He still operates in a 10 x 9 foot space, in a narrow store-front in the NYC Diamond District! Will never forget the man! He actually talked my DH into marrying me...it's a great story, a wonderful memory!

I digress, so forgive me. Thanks @SimoneDi

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be blunt, I don’t get what is so unique about this band.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@tlfiore, I think the style of the band is lovely, so I can see why you like it. Given that it's not your size and the diamonds aren't so great, have you considered having David Klass make you a replica of this? If you truly love it, why not get a quote? You could have him do H/I color and "eye clean" to save a little cash as well. Just a thought. :)

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
@msop04 thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm rethinking things. Interestingly, the comments and posts I received said a lot about the diamond negatives but little about the setting, specifically what type it might be. Thanks for commenting on the band!

I like the "French Cut" Eternity Band look 'cause it gives the appearance of a continual line of diamonds, which I think is pretty. Also, the French Cut Setting is a nice departure from the ordinary, bead, channel and shared prong eternity band look.

I found a few folks who create French Set full eternity bands with G-H-I, VVS-VS1 diamonds, approximate 1 carat, approximate 2.0-2.5 mms in width, etc.

There seems to be a few start-up folks on Etsy. One guy in particular has been in LA a while and has a shop in their Diamond District. When I Googled him and looked up other reviews, he gets fine marks!

There are a lot of talented people around. Thank you for the encouragement and kindness.

Last edited:

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
@msop04 thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm rethinking things. Interestingly, the comments and posts I received said a lot about the diamond negatives but little about the setting, specifically what type it might be. Thanks for commenting on the band!

I like the "French Cut" Eternity Band look 'cause it gives the appearance of a continual line of diamonds, which I think is pretty. Also, the French Cut Setting is a nice departure from the ordinary, bead, channel and shared prong eternity band look.

I found a few folks who create French Set full eternity bands with G-H-I, VVS-VS1 diamonds, approximate 1 carat, approximate 2.0-2.5 mms in width, etc.

There seems to be a few start-up folks on Etsy. One guy in particular has been in LA a while and has a shop in their Diamond District. When I Googled him and looked up other reviews, he gets fine marks!

There are a lot of talented people around. Thank you for the encouragement and kindness.

Did you get more photos of the ring from the seller to verify how the diamonds look? I think the style of the band is very pretty too. But the diamonds should match your solitaire in quality. If not, it will be glaring every time you look at the set.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Don't do it. The design is pretty, but the stones look like what we often call 'frozen spit'. They don't shine, and will be prone to breakage due to poor structural integrity. Keep looking, the style is popular enough that you'll get another.

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
@peacechick yes, thank you! Your thoughts about the quality of the diamonds in contrast to the diamond(s) in my solitaire make a ton of sense! Seems silly to have a beautiful custom designed solitaire and pair it with a cheap-o eternity band! Thank you!

@Andelain thanks for your perspective. Frozen spit...yes I've read that term here. The visual is grotesque...not criticizing you but the visual description. Cloudy, yucky stuff.

But I hear you. You stated "the style is popular enough, etc..." Can you please comment on what type of eternity setting I should search for that might be similar to the ring in question? No one has commented on that yet. Thank you!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@peacechick yes, thank you! Your thoughts about the quality of the diamonds in contrast to the diamond(s) in my solitaire make a ton of sense! Seems silly to have a beautiful custom designed solitaire and pair it with a cheap-o eternity band! Thank you!

@Andelain thanks for your perspective. Frozen spit...yes I've read that term here. The visual is grotesque...not criticizing you but the visual description. Cloudy, yucky stuff.

But I hear you. You stated "the style is popular enough, etc..." Can you please comment on what type of eternity setting I should search for that might be similar to the ring in question? No one has commented on that yet. Thank you!

It's just difficult to definitively say from the 2 pics posted but I think it's french pave. It's the setting that gives it the cutout appearance:
https://www.bluenile.com/french-pav...h2DtAOFEAQYAiABEgIw5_D_BwE&click_id=549992620
http://myshoplah.com/2018/03/pave-d...amond-french-pave-eternity-band-mm-cttw-rose/
https://www.custommade.com/french-cut-pave-eternity-bands/by/thejewelersjeweler/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results