shape
carat
color
clarity

Feedback on value oriented purchase for my mom's 70th bday - Lightbox alternatives?

fullsun

Rough_Rock
Hi, LGD/MMD newbie here seeking some advice!

My mother's 70th birthday is approaching and I'd like to get her a 1 ct diamond pendent or bracelet. However, I have a tight budget so I'm aiming for the most "bang for buck" purchase.

I've heard a lot about Lightbox on this forum and I'm wondering if they're still the best option for getting a decent/above average stone (very good optics, faces up white, and is eye clean) for under $1000. If possible I'd like to stay around $700 or lower.

Should I stick with Lightbox or are there other of options that are just as affordable? I would greatly appreciate everyone's feedback and suggestions, tia!

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
If you want a one carat pendant, a Lightbox necklace from Bloomingdales purchased with a coupon code is about as affordable as it gets. I have one of their 1 carat necklaces in white gold purchased from Bloomingdales and I am quite positive it came in just under $700.
I believe Bloomingdales let’s you stack promotions so if you wait for a 25% off sale and create an account with a new email address (I think it was a 15% off first purchase?) you should be right in budget.
If you can’t wait for that, Lightbox does have an Outlet section on their website but I believe most of those pieces are set in silver- they would be right at your budget though no coupon needed.

fullsun

Rough_Rock
If you want a one carat pendant, a Lightbox necklace from Bloomingdales purchased with a coupon code is about as affordable as it gets. I have one of their 1 carat necklaces in white gold purchased from Bloomingdales and I am quite positive it came in just under $700.
I believe Bloomingdales let’s you stack promotions so if you wait for a 25% off sale and create an account with a new email address (I think it was a 15% off first purchase?) you should be right in budget.
If you can’t wait for that, Lightbox does have an Outlet section on their website but I believe most of those pieces are set in silver- they would be right at your budget though no coupon needed.
Oh that sounds perfect! Thanks for the heads up on stacking coupons.

Mom's bday is in October so I have a bit of time. Looks like their app is offering 25% off right now (code APP25 in case anyone else is curious) in addition to $25 in points for every $100. I wonder if a better deal will pop up between now and October?

So exciting!

fullsun

Rough_Rock
@anangel Can you kindly speak on your opinion of the optics/light proformance of Lightbox rounds? (I'm assuming your pendant was also a round brilliant, but please correct me if I'm mistaken)

I'm hoping to get something that's better than most mall store offerings but I understand that they won't be super ideal/PS standard.

fullsun

Rough_Rock
If you haven’t already, check this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/follow-this-thread-to-be-alerted-to-bloomingdales’-lightbox-sales.257257/page-10#post-4998500
I think for the price, they’re very nice- really, where else are you going to find a one carat diamond and gold setting for $1k? I hear Bloomingdales returns are pretty painless too if it doesn’t meet your expectations.

Much appreciated, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled! It's good to hear that Bloomingdales is generous with their return process. And you're absolutely right, a couple of years ago I couldn't have imagined getting a nice 1ct for under 1k, love that I discovered this forum!

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I own several Lightbox diamonds and they are all beautiful. I bought two of those 1 ct pendants and turned them into earrings. I also have 1 ctw round earrings, a princess cut pendant, 1/3 ctw blue diamond earrings, and a blue diamond pendant.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@anangel Can you kindly speak on your opinion of the optics/light proformance of Lightbox rounds? (I'm assuming your pendant was also a round brilliant, but please correct me if I'm mistaken)

I'm hoping to get something that's better than most mall store offerings but I understand that they won't be super ideal/PS standard.

I have a LB pendant and earrings, all rounds. Compared to mall jewelers LB are MUCH better on clarity, and reasonably better on color and cut. I think your mother will be very pleased.

fullsun

Rough_Rock
Thank you both for your feedback on Lightbox's quality. It makes me feel much better about making a purchase. Now I just gotta wait for a sale lol.
I own several Lightbox diamonds and they are all beautiful. I bought two of those 1 ct pendants and turned them into earrings. I also have 1 ctw round earrings, a princess cut pendant, 1/3 ctw blue diamond earrings, and a blue diamond pendant.

I have a LB pendant and earrings, all rounds. Compared to mall jewelers LB are MUCH better on clarity, and reasonably better on color and cut. I think your mother will be very pleased.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
While I love the LB diamonds I have, I did not care for the original settings they came in. The pendants are fixed vs. on a slider, can flip etc.

If your budget allows, also check out Lightbox on Blue Nile. They have better settings in higher karat gold. I haven't bought any Lightbox jewelry from Blue Nile myself, but it seems like the settings are better.

Another option is to reset the diamond in a different setting!

fullsun

Rough_Rock
While I love the LB diamonds I have, I did not care for the original settings they came in. The pendants are fixed vs. on a slider, can flip etc.

If your budget allows, also check out Lightbox on Blue Nile. They have better settings in higher karat gold. I haven't bought any Lightbox jewelry from Blue Nile myself, but it seems like the settings are better.

Another option is to reset the diamond in a different setting!

Certainly a consideration! I haven't heard of Blue Nile having as good a discount as Bloomingdales but if I stumble across a sale, Ill definitely take a closer look.

fullsun

Rough_Rock
Update for anyone who's curious!

Ended up getting the .75 ct blue Lightbox pendant from Bloomingdale's. It happened to be on sale and after applying coupons it came out to be $315 + tax:dance:. My mom is enjoying it happily and likes that it's something different as most of her other pieces have white stones.

From my untrained eyes, it's nice and sparkly with a nice pale/baby blue color. Went kinda crazy with the photos but here they are! ASET images are with diy scope, so not the most accurate. What do you guys think?! 20210824_211228.jpg 20210824_211444.jpg 20210828_230927.jpg 20211028_112353.jpg 20211028_112748.jpg

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looks beautiful! I hope your mom enjoys her wonderful present!

oceanblue

Shiny_Rock
Love your DIY scope pictures!

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How did you do the pictures if I may ask? I have the hardest time getting good pictures!

fullsun

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I was hoping the scope images would be helpful to those who are curious about the cut quality of Lightbox’s rounds.

For the ASET photos, all credit goes to these 2 threads. Thank you to @flyingpig and @diamondfinder for their guides.

For the other photos, I placed the pendent on a flat white background, then surrounded it in a white cylindrical ”casing” (think white toilet paper roll, lol; I just rolled up some white printer paper and that also did the trick). From there, I simply used my phone’s camera. It was mostly trial and error with the camera’s zoom and flash settings. Just play around with it and you’ll end up with at least a few decent photos. Good luck!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool images.
A nice thing about the DIY scope is that you get to fine-tune the scope and learn the effect of tilt and lighting on diamond's appearance and performance.
Good job!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a lovely blue color and a beautiful diamond!

fullsun

Rough_Rock
Cool images.
A nice thing about the DIY scope is that you get to fine-tune the scope and learn the effect of tilt and lighting on diamond's appearance and performance.
Good job!

Thanks! And very true, it’s a fun little weekend project.

Thank you, Kim N!

La2020

Brilliant_Rock

Ended up getting the .75 ct blue Lightbox pendant from Bloomingdale's. It happened to be on sale and after applying coupons it came out to be $315 + tax:dance:. My mom is enjoying it happily and likes that it's something different as most of her other pieces have white stones.

From my untrained eyes, it's nice and sparkly with a nice pale/baby blue color. Went kinda crazy with the photos but here they are! ASET images are with diy scope, so not the most accurate. What do you guys think?! 20210824_211228.jpg 20210824_211444.jpg 20210828_230927.jpg 20211028_112353.jpg 20211028_112748.jpg

Omg! I have been searching for this shade of blue!!! My aset and ideal scope for the pink LB showed that the cutting was very very terrible.

I m pleasantly surprised by how your blue turned out.

Last edited:

pinklemonadegurl

Shiny_Rock
Wow-it's so beautiful and such a lovely gesture! I once bought my mom(37 years ago?) an irish claddaugh ring in gold, and she's actually here visiting from out of state, and is wearing it! I was thrilled to see it on her.

I just ordered 4 ctw loose white stones from Lightbox and they are being set into stud earrings. I LOVE the super ideal stones, but wow, an amazingly affordable treat for myself. I have been researching lab stones for awhile, and feel so thankful to have found such pretty stones.

Your mom is blessed to have you=)2

fullsun

Rough_Rock
Omg! I have been searching for this shade of blue!!! My aset and ideal scope for the pink LB showed that the cutting was very very terrible.

I m pleasantly surprised by how your blue turned out.

Thanks! I too think I lucked out with the color :praise: it really is a lovely soft blue. It’s fun to watch it change hues with different lighting.

Sorry to hear about your pink LB! I’ve been hearing that the pinks are hit-or-miss, both in terms of color and cut, especially more recently. Its unfortunate but at least LB (and Bloomingdales in my case) have a decent return policy!

fullsun

Rough_Rock
Wow-it's so beautiful and such a lovely gesture! I once bought my mom(37 years ago?) an irish claddaugh ring in gold, and she's actually here visiting from out of state, and is wearing it! I was thrilled to see it on her.

I just ordered 4 ctw loose white stones from Lightbox and they are being set into stud earrings. I LOVE the super ideal stones, but wow, an amazingly affordable treat for myself. I have been researching lab stones for awhile, and feel so thankful to have found such pretty stones.

Your mom is blessed to have you=)2

I hope my mom gets to enjoy hers for just as long! Thank you for your kind words!

The LB loose stones are a major temptation, loving seeing what everyone has been doing with them. Can’t wait to see your studs, they will absolutely POP. :drool:

La2020

Brilliant_Rock

@fullsun i have purchased the 1c blue LB loose but its cutting cannot measure up to yours. is it alright with you that I use your photos for my comparison in my blog? i have credited to photos to you.

fullsun

Rough_Rock
@fullsun i have purchased the 1c blue LB loose but its cutting cannot measure up to yours. is it alright with you that I use your photos for my comparison in my blog? i have credited to photos to you.

Sure thing, go ahead and use them! And I would love to see your blog if you don't mind sharing!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results