clarity

Feedback on Ovals the jeweller called in

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
Would he sell a loose stone? Or would the whole ring need to come from him

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sweet! I will do right now. We are a long way from Melbourne but that shouldn’t be a problem. Thanks!

If you are on the west coast, maybe Jogia Diamonds instead?

Though having said that, after browsing their inventory online, I haven’t been too impressed by their MRBs and I don’t know if they source fancy shapes (like ovals and marquises).

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
B2D3019F-AC34-40F0-97CA-876CC7CBFDAB.jpeg D0EBD553-F847-48F3-9F18-C811DDF3BA9D.jpeg

Hi again! Ok update...

The oval my friend rejected became available again and we had it sent to us and inspected it today. From memory it is a G VS1 0.8ct GIA graded.

Below with warts and all...

2BF7FCE6-F775-488F-8ACD-530B9586D35E.jpeg 608ADCAE-A993-44B7-B6E0-34D15013BB20.jpeg 16BAE82F-9B62-414E-A373-FC189EBC53BC.jpeg 9DA876CC-2736-4959-B517-99B1AD683954.jpeg 01F2E8BE-8F4C-4F40-8D1A-03ECADC1AF0C.jpeg 977F1930-E4B7-44DF-BD69-B60B920F7881.jpeg

Honest impressions please :) price is around 5k aud. Since the opulence is off the table, consider in the context of traditional ovals. Thank you

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Ah your dilemma, I don't envy your position!!!

I know nothing about ovals, I have to say, apart from the fact that I immensely dislike bow-ties. Having said that - and I don't 100% know what it's like in person obviously - but that doesn't look... too... bow-tie-ey??? Like I can definitely see one, so I'm not that much of a fan, but I'm sure I've seen worse... any videos of it in less favourable lighting? Underneath a table? Etc? You've seen it in person? What do YOU think? Does he have an opinion about it?

What are the options from here? If this one is rejected, what after that? I can understand it's really difficult - perhaps just be really straightforward with him and tell him you're projecting, but it's because you want him to make the best decision available to him, and not get ripped off on a sub-par stone. And that based on that, what you would do is x. And if he can't do that, then your next best suggestion is y. Sounds like you've pretty much done that, but yeah.

Best of luck! :)

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
Yes this. The bow tie in this one is much less obvious than all the ovals we have seen in person to date. It is also the least mushy and is actually pretty sparkly. The long ends have what I imagine the good crushed ice look is.

I have told him the opulence is still my recommendation but second to that, I think he should lock this stone in. I told him if we passed in this one we may find a better stone tomorrow or in 8 months, or never in Australia. The couple are both very keen to get this sorted and the search has gone much longer than expected for them. So without upping the budget, being pressed for time and his intended apparently not being particularly fussed on the cut quality (not cut nuts) this seems like it makes sense for him.

He is still hesitant (can’t unsee the bow tie ) so I said I would ask here for opinions before committing tomorrow.

It is quite pretty in person, the bow tie isn’t always visible and it’s quite bright. Once set in the halo it should look good. It’s tough- it’s not ideal but maybe it’s good enough.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they will just have to accept that without going for the AVInc oval, they are going to end up with a stone with bow-tie - Ovals without one seem to be very difficult to find in the wild, as you have already pointed out to them.

I just don't get the aversion to shopping overseas / buying an AVInc oval, especially when the jeweller will be bringing any stones in from overseas themselves and the AV stone has proven-better light performance. It makes me want to bang my head on the table.

I think you will just have to say to him that, again, your recommendation is to order an AVInc oval so he can assess the performance (if he can stick it on a credit card for review purposes), as you are confident the performance difference and lack of bow-tie will be blindingly obvious in real life using two eyes, much more so than in monocular videos, but that if they are totally adamant they don't want to even test one and eliminate it ( / see the light...) they will have to go with their gut because you can't make the decision for him/them (because then it will be your fault if they don't like it... :rolleyes: ).

If the bow-tie on this one bugs them now, it will probably continue to bug them IMO - and as virtually all Ovals apart from the AV offering have bow-tie to a greater or lesser degree, he will have to get over it or admit he was wrong about the AV stones!

Frustrating.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That bow tie is not as noticeable outside. Overall, this is probably the best he will get without going to see Rhino for an OO.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
well as known by everyone, the bow tie is very noticeable and since he wants to only buy local then he can either keep looking and hope that a good option becomes available or go with this one. If he finds a nice jeweler who is willing to source and help find a better stone then great but sometimes that is difficult as some places will only do it with a few and then stop working with you (claiming that customer is too picky)

prbaglady

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think that it's a pretty, sparkly diamond and that she will love it. I also think that once it's in a halo, you will notice the bowtie a bit less.

Before deciding though, have him look at the stone inside the car and under office lightning. Diamonds always look the worst in those environments. If he still likes it, then he should go for it!

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
He says he thinks it’s beautiful but I sense a little hesitation. I hope when he has it in hand he is happy. Fingers crossed.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Going from my limited experience, once cannot really judge a diamond properly until it is in one's hand, so hopefully he likes it!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say I think that setting is just beautiful. I'm sure he's going to be thrilled! Probably he just has last minute nerves about it all - that sounds fully understandable!

I hope you keep us updated on how it all goes, and hand shots if they're available! :D

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The setting is gorgeous! I hope he loves it in person!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results