shape
carat
color
clarity

FedEx delay - importing to Canada issue

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
I am to receive my Whiteflash studs via FedEx. I live in Canada.
I just received an email from FedEx with the following information:

Exception ReasonRecommended Action
1. A Power of Attorney (POA) or form letter, authorizing FedEx/Broker to clear the shipment on behalf of the importer, is required for clearance.Importer must provide a Power of Attorney (POA) or a form letter authorizing FedEx/Broker to clear shipment

I've never seen this request before, not even with my previous Whiteflash order. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This happened to me, importing from Canada to the US, with a jadeite bangle. The seller/shipper has to contact them, get a form to fill out, and get it back to them, and then they will release it.

They told me I had to contact a broker, but that was the wrong message. In truth, when I called them to ask about it, the shipper had to sign something.

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
This happened to me, importing from Canada to the US, with a jadeite bangle. The seller/shipper has to contact them, get a form to fill out, and get it back to them, and then they will release it.

They told me I had to contact a broker, but that was the wrong message. In truth, when I called them to ask about it, the shipper had to sign something.

Thank you so much. I have reached out to Whiteflash for assistance.

Girlfriday17

Shiny_Rock
I just got my new ring from Whiteflash a few months ago and had to call and authorize Fed Ex as my broker (they only charged me $10 and processed the Canadian taxes). They emailed me a form that I had to send back. I was a bit confused at first as well because although I knew I’d have to pay the taxes I didn’t know about the time for customs and the authorization needed. Let me know if you need more info.

Adam95

Shiny_Rock

I don't know whether the customs brokers are just lazy and incompetent, or getting kickbacks from the brokers…

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
I just got my new ring from Whiteflash a few months ago and had to call and authorize Fed Ex as my broker (they only charged me $10 and processed the Canadian taxes). They emailed me a form that I had to send back. I was a bit confused at first as well because although I knew I’d have to pay the taxes I didn’t know about the time for customs and the authorization needed. Let me know if you need more info.

Thank you so much!

The funny thing is, this didn't happen with my previous Whiteflash purchase.

I've filled out the form and sent it back. I didn't find the form easy to fill out as it seems geared to businesses, not individuals. Hopefully they process it quickly and I get my new studs soon!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you so much!

The funny thing is, this didn't happen with my previous Whiteflash purchase.

I've filled out the form and sent it back. I didn't find the form easy to fill out as it seems geared to businesses, not individuals. Hopefully they process it quickly and I get my new studs soon!

They had told me I could do it, but I needed the sender’s signature, which was ridiculous and meant the sender had to do it. I hope it works with you having done it.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This happens to me once with JA order five years ago. It does not happen every time, but nothing usual.

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
This is a very standard process for all courier companies. Some will charge more than others for processing fees (try to have the sender avoid DHL, it’s the most expensive). If you go to the courier’s website, they’ll list how much they charge. You can clear custom yourself by going to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) office but for $10 fee-ish, it’s not worth the drive and time especially during the pandemic. Check out this blog article: https://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/how-to-avoid-broker-fees-just-in-time-for-online-xmas-shopping/

znewsham

Rough_Rock
@Girlfriday17 @Mekp I just got the same notification from fedex and they seemed confused about whether I or the shipper were supposed to fill out a form.

Can I ask how you completed the form? The one I received also appears to be entirely geared towards businesses. Did you complete the business section or leave it blank? Did they release the shipment in the end?

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
@Girlfriday17 @Mekp I just got the same notification from fedex and they seemed confused about whether I or the shipper were supposed to fill out a form.

Can I ask how you completed the form? The one I received also appears to be entirely geared towards businesses. Did you complete the business section or leave it blank? Did they release the shipment in the end?

Hi, I ended up filling out the form myself. Anything that didn't seem relevant to me I just left blank. I emailed it to them and then I received an email asking I call with my payment. I phoned and paid my taxes and the brokerage fee and it was released for pick up.
Good luck, I hope it goes as smoothly for you!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, I ended up filling out the form myself. Anything that didn't seem relevant to me I just left blank. I emailed it to them and then I received an email asking I call with my payment. I phoned and paid my taxes and the brokerage fee and it was released for pick up.

This was my experience as well

I haven't done a POA form with FedEx, but I did have to fill out a form to verify my identity. It was processed within the day and was released for shipping the following day.

Girlfriday17

Shiny_Rock

I did the same, filling out only what applied to me and then I got a phone call from an agent and we processed the taxes over the phone. I did have to wait a few days before the package seemed to be processed through customs. I finally called after three days when it seemed like it was kind of stuck but I live into between two large cities and was having it delivered directly to my house so I wanted to make sure I was home because we don’t have a depot to pick up at.

XHellfireX

Rough_Rock
If you create an account with FedEx and put a credit card on file you don't even have to pay the $10.

Girlfriday17

Shiny_Rock
If you create an account with FedEx and put a credit card on file you don't even have to pay the $10.

That’s good info. I asked FedEx if I should open an account to make it easier to pay the tax and they said it didn’t matter.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results