shape
carat
color
clarity

Feathers at the girdle in RB cuts

Titan7

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ok I will admit it, I hate feather inclusion, but it's hard to find feather free unless I go to VS1. Seeing many awesome VS2 diamonds but there seem to frequently be a feather that ends right at the edge of the girdle. Is this a real issue for durability? Can a prong be placed over them?

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Thought provoking question. I look forward to reading some educated replies.

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ay-nice-feathers-and-cavities-clarity.210537/

Here is a link to a series of posts on the topic of feathers. Lots of technical, but interesting information. I've read about feathers as my stone has one. And I also did have it placed in the setting so that a prong would "hide" it. However, even for a SI2, you have to hold it at just the right angle (and out of its setting, which it never is now) with magnification to see it.

If you search in these forums using the word feathers, you should be able to find other posts on this, as well. Some "light" reading! :read:

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Titan7|1452566567|3974539 said:
Is this a real issue for durability? Can a prong be placed over them?

Small feathers that are vertically oriented within the stone and close to the girdle are not usually any cause for concern and a prong can usually be placed over them. This depends on whether the girdle is faceted or bruted and just where the feather is located. If it's too close to a crown facet junction, then the prong can get close, but probably not cover it. If it's out in the middle of the facet, then no problem and it would be easy to hide, (I've even hidden rather large vertical feathers in I1 diamonds, so pretty easy to do).

If the feather is horizontal, then it could be more of a cause for concern, but then the stone would not usually receive a clarity grade of V2. If you can post a good picture of the diamond/feather in question, it would be pretty easy to tell you how much of a concern it would be.

Titan7

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you all

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results