shape
carat
color
clarity

Feather an Issue for VS2?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pr0crast1nat0r

Rough_Rock
Do these two pictures show a feather that is considered a problem location, size or type? It is at 0300 running from Northwest to Southeast. The first is at 30x and the second at 10x magnification. The spots seen are dust, not inclusions. Would this be considered a VS2?
1000008.JPG
1000007.JPG

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I suspect that this is one of those feathers which shows up under darkfield illumination (like in the picture) and then disappears to the eye when examined in normal lighting. If so, the grade of VS2 would be warranted. If not, the grade of SI1 would be a possibility. Who certed the stone?

It's probably not a problem either way, but if you had your choices you'd prefer a feather which doesn't extend all the way to the girdle as opposed to one that does. I can't really tell from the photograph whether it does or not. If it does, the setter will work probably work around it by positioning the prongs on each side of it.

If it doesn't extend all the way to the girdle it's not a problem, and if it does, a good setter or gemologist will tell you if it is a problem or not. Chances are it's not.

pr0crast1nat0r

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply!

It is a GIA certified stone.

pr0crast1nat0r

Rough_Rock
Hi Richard,

The feather touches the girdle, and I have attached the picture on the girdle side, however the salesperson mentioned that it is not a durability risk, especially since it has been GIA certified. What is your opinion? Thanks.

Feather.JPG

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/23/2003 3:15:54 PM pr0crast1nat0r wrote:

Hi Richard,

The feather touches the girdle, and I have attached the picture on the girdle side, however the salesperson mentioned that it is not a durability risk, especially since it has been GIA certified. What is your opinion? Thanks.----------------

And you believe her? The fact that it is GIA certed doesn't mean that the diamond is guaranteed not to fracture.

I would get a second opinion.

Good luck.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
I'm surprised that someone who does not know that GIA does not "certify" stones and sets no minimum standards for grading a stone would be able to take such fine photographs.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hi Pro. A feather, which is a common inclusion in diamond as well as other gemstones, is a fracture or cleavage which happened to the diamond at some point in it's evolution, and then was partially healed in the ensuing crystallization process.

Some comments-

___The better healed a feather is, the less effect it has on durability.

___The smaller a feather is, the less effect it has on durability.

___Feathers which don't break the surface generally have less effect on durability than those that do.

___The better positioned on the finished stone it is (away from areas that usually take blows), the less effect it has.

Positives- The feather shown appears to be well healed. Being a GIA VS2, it would be considered small and minor. These are very good points.

Negatives- It appears to be close to the surface, and located in an area that takes a fair amount of abuse (the girdle).

Conclusion- Although it would be better not to have a feather close to the surface and positioned on the girdle, the fact that it appears to be well healed and of minor size makes me tend to agree with the salesperson that it is not much of an issue in terms of durability.

Myself, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a diamond like this one if I liked it. A diamond with a feather like this is analogous to Samson with most his hair grown back. Maybe not 100% as strong as he was before, but plenty strong enough to handle any rigors your fiancee is going to put him through.

In addition, a good setter will routinely position a diamond in the most appropriate position for the inclusions it has.

I don't think it's a problem, Pro.

I'll try and get you some DiamCalcs later on the profiles you posted on the other topic. Right now I'm away from my laptop.

pr0crast1nat0r

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for the detailed responses. It does calm my fears considerably.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results