shape
carat
color
clarity

Feasible or Wishful Thinking?

cukymonsta

Rough_Rock
Hello All,

Long time lurker, first time poster here! I have learned so much about diamonds and jewelry from the information gathered on PS. You all are very well informed. So much so that when visiting the large name B&M jewelers, I actually knew more than representatives helping me from the knowledge I’ve gained on this forum! I seriously cannot thank you enough.

While I’ve learned a great deal, I still am not entirely confident. My boyfriend and I know we will get engaged sometime in the near future. I’ve began making a cheat sheet for my boyfriend for the engagement ring buying process. While I want to be completely surprised whenever he decides he’s ready to propose, we thought it was important for me to at least share a few of my preferences for different styles of rings and diamond characteristics. This is a HUGE purchase after all!

We had seen a few diamonds in person and he loved the size of a 2 carat. I’ve also shared some of the amazing rings from PSers with him, and he has become obsessed with the Emilya. It is one of the few rings that he’s actually reacted to (we both want to love whatever ring is selected). He was completely wowed. I mean, who doesn’t love the Emilya? We know that the Emilya may be out of our reach so have also considered halo settings from some of the other PS approved vendors like BE, DK, SK, etc (though SK and LM may also be out of budget). We have set a budget of about 15K. There is some cushion in there.

With all of that being said, do you all think it is feasible to get an excellent cut, 2 carat (or something close), I color, eye clean RB diamond in a beautiful, delicate halo setting within our budget? Wishful thinking, huh? :naughty: We’ve also considered getting a simpler setting for now, and perhaps upgrading in the future. But this wouldn’t be ideal. Looking forward to your insight!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You want a 2 carat modern round brilliant with ideal light return with a handforged halo for 15k? Yeah, no. Not going to happen. That's got to be some cushion.

ETA: Okay just saw that you would be willing to drop to I color.

If you went for a 1.8 carat: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.80-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-816184 And a cast halo from BE, then yes. You could do it for 16k in platinum (which is what we recommend) as that halo would run you about 3k.

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi - not wishful thinking - - you might need to work right on the border of what is considered 'ideal' for cut in the PS world, and it might take a bit of looking around (sounds like you've got the time to search if not engaged yet ;-) ), but they're out there.
I'd suggest choosing a vendor you'd like to use, and then get them to do the hunting for you so that they can vet possible candidates (and if they have reach within the industry, they'll have access to goods that you wouldn't be able to find without them). They can also stay on top of any price increases in the market, so if they notice goods start to go up, you'll be in a position to make a decision to find something or wait it out.
If you include in your search stones with fluorescence of strong/very strong, you will be able to find a better deal due to normal discounting - just make sure you ask the vendor to confirm that there aren't any detrimental effects to the appearance of the diamond.
And as Gypsy said, a cast of good quality will give you the exact same look you're after and save you a few bucks as well.
Hope this helps

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No shanks thinner than 2mm btw. Keep that in mind.

ADNs advice is very good. I like fluorescent stones. Strong blue is lovely. Especially in an I. You can also save money with a 60/60 stone with good specs 33.5 crown to 35 and pavilion angle at 40.6-40.8. It will favor white light over colored.

But honestly the best cost savings is by NOT hitting the 2 carat mark and going just under it.
In a halo 2mm of spread isn't goung to be discernable really, so going to 1.8 or 1.9 is a really good cost saver.

Personally working with a good vendor to hunt for you is a great idea. And in the states I'd pick Wink at HPD or Chris at BE.

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1454154735|3984053 said:
But honestly the best cost savings is by NOT hitting the 2 carat mark and going just under it.
In a halo 2mm of spread isn't goung to be discernable really, so going to 1.8 or 1.9 is a really good cost saver.

Agreed - there are some beautiful stones that will face-up just a sniff short of the mm size for a 2ct, without the price bump - - a 2ct is about 7.95-8.15ish..mm in diameter, and a 1.90ct will be about 7.90-7.95ish...mm.
Good luck with the search

And Gypsy, it will actually only be approx 0.2mm difference...it's OK, I know some of you Americans really struggle with the metric system... ;-)

cukymonsta

Rough_Rock
Thank you Gypsy and ADN for the great advice. I am definitely open to fluorescent stones. And I figured there might be a bit more value in going shy of the 2 carat mark.

Would you know whether working with a vendor personally to help source a stone will mean higher prices for a stone compared to what I might be able to find on James Allen, Whiteflash, or some of the other online vendors? My fear is that good stone prices are only able to be found online, especially after hearing some of the absurd figures mall stores and other jewelry retailers have provided for diamonds. And at times the specs weren't all that great.

Also, do I just select a vendor and go with them? I guess what I'm wondering is if it is "unethical" (for lack of a better word) to work with 2 or so vendors to see who can find a great diamond within my parameters? Of course I don't want to waste anyone's time or send anyone on some wild goose chase. But I do want there to be balance, i.e. my wants vs what they are able to provide. I know a lot of that can be determined by the market's availability. Again, I'm just a bit scarred by B&M reps and other salespeople (jewelry, car, etc) who try to force you to buy either from their limited stock or something that just doesn't meet your needs. But I am completely open to working strictly with one vendor if that is what is highly suggested.

ADN|1454148856|3984042 said:
Hi - not wishful thinking - - you might need to work right on the border of what is considered 'ideal' for cut in the PS world
I don't know many people outside of the PS world who can look at a diamond and TRULY appreciate its beauty/performance, as you all can identify the slightest of characteristic and articulate how it affects performance. Though my eye isn't as keen for such perfection, I still would like a beautifully performing diamond. Do you know if the diamond would still be visually pleasing, even if not perfect, if I decide to work on the border of ideal? And just to clarify, does this mean the difference between like H&A and ideal optics vs maybe just ideal/excellent cut. Or does this mean going from ideal/excellent to excellent/very good? If the latter, I would rather a smaller stone than to compromise cut, as I've learned it's king.

Again, thank you all so much! I appreciate you taking the time to help us novices.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ADN|1454165670|3984112 said:
And Gypsy, it will actually only be approx 0.2mm difference...it's OK, I know some of you Americans really struggle with the metric system... ;-)

It was LATE! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I meant .2mm. Too funny.

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
cukymonsta|1454182602|3984223 said:
Would you know whether working with a vendor personally to help source a stone will mean higher prices for a stone compared to what I might be able to find on James Allen, Whiteflash, or some of the other online vendors? My fear is that good stone prices are only able to be found online, especially after hearing some of the absurd figures mall stores and other jewelry retailers have provided for diamonds. And at times the specs weren't all that great.

**You should be able to get a better rate from whoever you decide to go with - there's a big difference in investment/overheads when buying a stone for stock that you aren't sure how long you're going to have to sit on it for, and one that you source / get in / check it is what it is / and then pass it onto the client. Some of it will depend on who you use and their contacts / ability to negotiate better prices / etc.

Also, do I just select a vendor and go with them? I guess what I'm wondering is if it is "unethical" (for lack of a better word) to work with 2 or so vendors to see who can find a great diamond within my parameters? Of course I don't want to waste anyone's time or send anyone on some wild goose chase.

**It shouldn't be a problem having a few looking for you - just be up front with them and don't stuff anyone around - it'll then be up to them how much effort they want to put in to get your business

Do you know if the diamond would still be visually pleasing, even if not perfect, if I decide to work on the border of ideal? And just to clarify, does this mean the difference between like H&A and ideal optics vs maybe just ideal/excellent cut. Or does this mean going from ideal/excellent to excellent/very good? If the latter, I would rather a smaller stone than to compromise cut, as I've learned it's king.

**I didn't mean throwing all the specs out of the window and deviating completely away from the preferred numbers found here on PS. I meant that if you tweek a few numbers (keeping everything balanced), you'll be able to find some great performing diamonds. Whoever you go with should be able to guide you through the options...and you can always come back here to double check and get opinions on what you're being presented
;-)

Good luck with your search

cukymonsta

Rough_Rock
Thank you, Gypsy! Excellent read. You both have been very helpful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results