shape
carat
color
clarity

Favorite colored gemstone w/ brown?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

windycityaj

Rough_Rock
I noticed that I wear much more brown than any other color in my wardrobe. In your opinion, which colored gemstone compliments brown the most? I have a nice citrine which I wear frequently...what about smoky quartz? Anyone have any other ideas?

thanks,
Anne

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
garnet, peridot, citrine, smoky topaz, smoky quartz, I even like some pinks and blues depending on what else you have on...green amethysts can be pretty too...

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
Hmmmm... I think it depends on a few factors. I, too, wear a lot of brown. And I am very fair-skinned with blonde hair and blue eyes. Pastel colors look good on me. So, pale blue and pink really pop against the browns I wear becasue those colors also pop against my coloring. After all, I wear brown eye make-up to make my blue eyes pop! For me, pale blue or pink sapphires, aquamarine, light purple or mint-green colored stones work well with what I wear. Stones of those colors also tend to appeal to me.

Other colors, however, can really pop with brown as well. I have a close friend who is the polar opposite of me. Dark skin, dark hair, chocolate brown eyes. Earth tones look wonderful on her. So for her, the orange-tones found in some garnets and yummy citrine yellows compliment her coloring like baby blue compliments mine.

So, I guess that anything can go with brown! Go with what you like!

1.gif

windycityaj

Rough_Rock
Yes, I do see what you are saying. I am African-American but more on the fair-skinned/olive tone. My skin has a orange/yellow tint (if someone were to "read" my season it would definitely be "autumn"). I own some amber pices as well which go well w/ brown too. I will look into the garnets. I also heard that there are some brown colored tourmalines which I think would be really pretty. Thanks!!

Anne

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think garnet red - a deep reddish brown hue would just be lovely!!

ETA: after reading about your skin color, I'd still suggest the same but make sure it is a warmer color of dark reddish brown rather than sometimes they have very cool bluish reds... I just would not go on the pink side, I'd go on the brown side.... I don't know if I'm making sense here lol Getting a nice emerald or longer cushion cut garnet flanked by citrines could be nice too - or vice versa.... I do like citrines a lot. Orange is my second favorite color :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would think peridot and the orange garnets would be lovely. I think the brown stones would blend into your skin tone too much and not look as beautiful. But the yellows, greens, and oranges would be very pretty with browns.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Why ORANGE of Course!!!!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PINK!!!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I am embarrased to admit, but my ring is filthy. BUT, I wear a lot of brown as well, and My favorite outfit is A pair of brown cords, brown boots and a reddish orange shirt..VERY nice... Oh yeh, and a little bling...

brownandorange.JPG

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Even oranges taste good with a little chocolate sauce.. no?

brownandorange2.JPG

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Need a little more sunshine,,, oeek my orange looks icky.. sorry, need some good light and some sun to bring out the fire a little more.

brownandorange3.JPG

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
MINE!!, I totally had your gorgeous spess in mind when I mentioned orange-toned garnets.

9.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
my other choice besides a quality spessartite would be a cabachon of rutilated quartz. very elegant and classy yet simple and inexpensive.

movie zombie

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I love fine hue brown zircons. But then again, contrasting colors will really liven up a brown wardrobe. Greens, pinks, oranges. They all work good.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
all the above plus cinnamon garnet (couple different flavors come in that color).
its a steal at todays prices on them compared to some of the others.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
How about Andalusite.............????????

Changes its hue with goldish, orange-ish, and greenish brown as it is turned.

Some hues of topaz could be interesting too.

Rockdoc

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
brown is a warm color, so I think anything from a clear quartz set properly to a warm toned, as mentioned, ambers, oranges, smoky tones, maroon or burgundy toned (not blue reds)...the exception to this is green, which is a cool color, but I think looks amazing with brown, and light blue, which I love with blue. pink is pretty too, and again, it really depends on all the other aspects of the outfit, and your accessories...I really think you have a rainbow to chose from!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE green, orange, and brown toned gemstones! I'd second zircons (honey or hyacinth). I also like your tourmaline idea. You can find tourmaline in beautiful shades of golden browns and golden olives. A deep pink tourmaline might be nice too, especially if highlighted with a few diamonds. Speaking of which... don't forget about champaign diamonds!

tonygemma

Rough_Rock
Some nice Oregon sunstone, red w/ slight orange undertones would work as well.

TonyD

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
and let us not forget champagne and cognac diamonds!

movie zombie

windycityaj

Rough_Rock
movie zombie....

Thanks for all the info. Your ring is also beautiful. Is it yellow gold? I love the way yellow gold looks on my skin too. I almost forgot about the cognac and chocolate colored diamonds......YUMMY!!!

aj

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, 22k gold...hammered....to be exact. there is an 18k polished bridge beneath the stone to provide stability and the 22k gold is polished in the ''bezel'' area.

if you love gold next to your skin, see if you can find some 22k gold to try out. and don''t forget green and red/rose/pink gold in 18k. the color difference should not be overly obvious but might make a difference with your skin tone.

movie zombie

windycityaj

Rough_Rock
Zombie.....

May I ask why you chose 22k? Do you like the intense gold color? Do you find that your ring can withstand the day to day wear? Just curious. I''m sure you get lots of compliments...kudos to you for picking a stone and setting that is so unique!!

anne

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
22k is just so very very rich. i''m used to wearing silver and anything under 18k gold just looks like costume jewelry on me. 22k gold would not be appropriate for most rings i see here at pricescope. 22k prongs would be a huge mistake. however, my ring is not small and dainty. it is substantial and as such holds up to wear. the 18k bridge under the stone provides strength. also, i do not wear my ring 24/7. i take it off the minute i''m in the door at home and it goes on my finger just before i leave the house. i only weak my 2 mm 18k gold wedding band 24/7. it is my opinion that fine jewelry should not be exposed to washing dishes, house cleaning, gardening, etc. even for a stone like a diamond. given a spessartite is at most about 7.5 on the MOH scale and given the design of my ring is not a complete bezel, it is too risky to wear it 24/7. however, i do wear it to the farmers market, the lumberyard, garden center, everywhere.

i really do prefer the look of high karat gold and the fact that my hubby and i think it looks the best on me made it a no brainer. however, finding someone to work with was a bit of a problem. also, the hammered gold contrast with the high polish of the bezel area next to the stone really makes the stone pop even more. there are real design issues with high karat gold and so i think the look isn''t for everyone.

glad you like my ring.....i love it! it is a pleasure to wear even though most people think its a citrine or a topaz........gives me an opportunity to educate them!

my next favorite is 18k red gold.

movie zombie

windycityaj

Rough_Rock
Oh red gold is sooooo YUMMY!!! I just love the look of your ring. Does it sit high up? Bezels are my favorite type of setting. I''m really hoping that yellow gold makes a comeback. It got such a bad rap because of overexposure in the 80''s.....I know because I owned some truly hideous pieces!! There is just something about yellow gold that looks so classic. I have never owned 22k, but I do have quite a few 18k pieces. I still wear them too. If my money tree would grow I would start many projects w/ yellow gold....hmmm, maybe I''ll play the lottery this weekend!!

anne

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, the spess sits high up: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/well-it-was-a-long-slog.45396/
that it sits up high is probably an understatement! but i''m used to wearing very very large rings/stones so it hasn''t been a problem.

there is a close up of my 18k red gold chain here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/do-you-have-a-favorite-gold-designer.29197/page-10

that particular thread is one of my favorites. its many pages long but there is some gorgeous high karat gold pieces and links to vendors.

i''m not much of a slave to fashion. my interests include archaelogy. at the national museum in dublin, ireland, i spent more time staring at a gold torque than i did in the whole museum. i think the guards were suspicious because i was looking at that piece so long. anyway, my ring is supposed to reflect both the ancient richness of pure gold and the clean lines of modern jewelry. in some ways it looks like it was found at a dig and in other ways it looks like it sprang from a very very modern designer.

i''ve had word that the jeweler i purchased the chain from now has a matching 18k red gold chain bracelet. i''m hoping to get buy and have a look see next week.

if you still have those gold pieces, there are many of us that would love to see them. please post them here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/do-you-have-a-favorite-gold-designer.29197/page-11

even if you post them as pieces you no longer enjoy we still love to see eye candy!

movie zombie

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, with brown clothing and your warm skin tone I think your peridot must look amazing! I agree with the others too about orange colored gems and garnet. I think deep purple as in amythyst would look great too! I''m not so crazy about brown gemstones with brown clothing. I think they would get lost . I like color to POP more.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2007 6:14:37 PM
Author: movie zombie
i''m not much of a slave to fashion. my interests include archaelogy. at the national museum in dublin, ireland, i spent more time staring at a gold torque than i did in the whole museum. i think the guards were suspicious because i was looking at that piece so long.
Is that the gold torque that mysteriously disappeared not too long ago...?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i could only wish........
face6.gif

movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results