shape
carat
color
clarity

Favorite baby names

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
It''s really interesting how different names are popular here and in the USA.

I''ve never heard of half the names you guys are posting and I''ve never met a Madison or an Addison (here it''s a taxi firm!)

Classic names are very popular here - Olivia, Emily, Jessica, Sarah, Sophie, Chloe for girls and James, Oliver, Joshua, Ben and Jack for boys.

I loved the name Flora for years but it really doesn''t sound great with FI''s surname so I''ve resigned myself to not using it. I also love the name Timothy, but FI''s brother is Tim (as is my father), and FI isn''t fussed.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Just thought I''d add a few of my favorite girl names...

I love Mira, Amelie and Estella.

Don''t know if any of those help...

San Diego Bride

Shiny_Rock
my husband and i won''t be having kids, but i still have favorite names. i like spanish names (my first language), but they can be a little tricky since a lot of people don''t know how to say them. the trick is coming up with a good nickname i think.

boys: diego and ismael (trust me, it sounds pretty in spanish and "ish" is used as an english nickname)
girls: maya, caridad (also beautiful in spanish and "cari" would work as a nickname) and graciella ("grace")

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2007 7:02:20 PM
Author: Gypsy
I *KNEW* there was someplace on here I could post this.

So John and I have been talking a bit and we are now only 60/40 against having children of our own (as opposed or 90/10 a couple of years ago)... so we started talking about baby names.

And he feels very strongly that he wants to name a possible son ''Aeneas.''

Now... help me out here. What do you all think of that?
33.gif
OMG, Gypsy, you poor thing! Maybe you could convince him to go w/Angus or Seamus (shay-mus)...just a thought!

If you stick with your hubby''s choice, that kid is going to be the "butt" of many jokes throughout his life!

Good luck,

Harleigh

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2007 11:12:01 PM
Author: Harleigh

So John and I have been talking a bit and we are now only 60/40 against having children of our own (as opposed or 90/10 a couple of years ago)... so we started talking about baby names.

33.gif
OMG, Gypsy, you poor thing! Maybe you could convince him to go w/Angus or Seamus (shay-mus)...just a thought!

If you stick with your hubby''s choice, that kid is going to be the ''butt'' of many jokes throughout his life!

Good luck,

Harleigh

Aeneas (AN-AY-US) was the hero who was ordered by the gods to leave Troy with the a special Sword. He is regarded as the founder of Rome (and the justification Rome gave to conquering Greece)... and those of his lines are regarded as the founders of many nations/ institutions. The Juliai traced their lineage to him, as did a Roman named "Brutus" is (real or myth?) regarded as the founder of Brittan.

Fortunately. Anus trumps all of that.
2.gif
Thanks Ladies.
36.gif

I''m campaigning for Leo .... Any comments?
33.gif

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Leo sounds fabulous! Much less able to be abused by fellow school children in the child''s future! I vote for that one!
emteeth.gif

Harleigh

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
My hubby''s middle name is Leo, because his dad was born in August. I like it, it is not an of the moment name, but is solid. Sometimes it is short for Leonard or Leonardo. I knew that other name was Greek, but ugh, why set up your kid for torture? My name, Caroline, was NOT popular where I grew up (even with Caroline Kennedy and Princess Caroline of Monaco) and I HATED it. Now it is one of the most popular girl names where I live, and I like it better but it is getting common. But I would take common or slightly unusual as long as it was not blatantly a name that would cause teasing, though kids can make a teasing or rhyming thing from any name it seems!

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/9/2007 11:00:28 PM
Author: novia

my husband and i won''t be having kids, but i still have favorite names. i like spanish names (my first language), but they can be a little tricky since a lot of people don''t know how to say them. the trick is coming up with a good nickname i think.

boys: diego and ismael (trust me, it sounds pretty in spanish and ''ish'' is used as an english nickname)
girls: maya, caridad (also beautiful in spanish and ''cari'' would work as a nickname) and graciella (''grace'')
Novia, my hubby has a cousin named Graciela, and I adore it -- I think it''s SO pretty and feminine! Having a name that also sounds good in Spanish is important to hubby too since we don''t want his parents butchering our kids'' names
2.gif
which is why we''re currently leaning toward Gabriel for a boy -- sounds cool with Spanish accent too!

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/10/2007 6:40:47 PM
Author: ellaila

boys: diego and ismael (trust me, it sounds pretty in spanish and ''ish'' is used as an english nickname)
girls: maya, caridad (also beautiful in spanish and ''cari'' would work as a nickname) and graciella (''grace'')
Novia, my hubby has a cousin named Graciela, and I adore it -- I think it''s SO pretty and feminine! Having a name that also sounds good in Spanish is important to hubby too since we don''t want his parents butchering our kids'' names
2.gif
which is why we''re currently leaning toward Gabriel for a boy -- sounds cool with Spanish accent too!
DH''s best friend and his wife just had their first baby, and her Cuban parents had very strong suggestions about what they should name him. For months, her mom was insistent on "Tulio", which our friends (and we) found hysterical.... can you imagine giving your kid an automatic nickname of "Tool"??
20.gif
But since they were undecided on names, he jokingly became Baby Tulio in the meantime. When she finally texted me from the hospital to let me know they''d chosen "Nathan", she added that he would of course continue to be Tulio in our hearts.
31.gif
And now whenever I hear people talking about Spanish names, that is always the first one to pop into my mind!
2.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2007 6:08:44 PM
Author: diamondfan
My hubby''s middle name is Leo, because his dad was born in August. I like it, it is not an of the moment name, but is solid. Sometimes it is short for Leonard or Leonardo. I knew that other name was Greek, but ugh, why set up your kid for torture? My name, Caroline, was NOT popular where I grew up (even with Caroline Kennedy and Princess Caroline of Monaco) and I HATED it. Now it is one of the most popular girl names where I live, and I like it better but it is getting common. But I would take common or slightly unusual as long as it was not blatantly a name that would cause teasing, though kids can make a teasing or rhyming thing from any name it seems!

I wanted it short for Leonardo. But John vetoed that. BUT not for any good reason. I have a VERY compelling reason to veto Aenaes now.
11.gif

I HATED my name too. Layla is still a problematic name. But I''ve grown to like it.

I like less common or popular names generally.

I had a couple girl names that I liked picked out. But don''t remember them now.

I have a memory like a sieve.
39.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

33.gif

If you stick with your hubby''s choice, that kid is going to be the ''butt'' of many jokes throughout his life!

Good luck,

Harleigh
I had a kitten I wanted to name seamus years and years ago and my mom said, "now why would anyone want to name a boy Shame Us?" Ruined a good name for me
7.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2007 2:29:35 AM
Author: snlee

Date: 7/7/2007 9:30:55 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Funny, my first name and maiden name being with the same letter and I LOVED the way it sounded. Of course they were the same amount of letters too but very catchy.

We are STILL brain storming girls names...so hard when you actually NEED one. At first I was looking at first names that started with an ''m'' since our last name is a Mc-------- name. I like Mallory a lot but there is really no good nickname. We both like Natalie and Clare...... Any ideas? I would like uncommon but not too out there.
Tacori, how about Madison, Melissa, Megan?

A few years ago, I found this link: Baby Name Wizard''s Name Voyager. It''s very cool! It tells you name popularity figures by year.
Very cool! I had my son in 2001 and named him Rowan and it didn''t even register then and now it''s way up to in the 400''s!!! Okay so still not a common name but apparently it is heavily on the rise!! His middle name has never been in the top 1000.

My daughter''s first name still and forever has not been in the top 1000 names... her middle name was not in the top 1000 (853) until the last 4 years (she''s 13)

My other son''s first name went up to the top 20''s after he was born, but his middle name has never been in the top 1000.

All of the names are "real" names, just antiquated. I like real names, old names, that are just unused. Especially greek names.

San Diego Bride

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/10/2007 6:40:47 PM
Author: ellaila

2.gif

what a great pick, ellaila! gabriel sounds great in both english and spanish and i love the nickname "gabe". i love it!!

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2007 9:12:19 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

I had a kitten I wanted to name seamus years and years ago and my mom said, ''now why would anyone want to name a boy Shame Us?'' Ruined a good name for me
7.gif
That''s just not right!!! I have only ever had one Seamus in my class, and I never thought of it that way, but now I always will!

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2007 7:56:49 PM

I HATED my name too. Layla is still a problematic name. But I''ve grown to like it.
I think Layla is a beautiful name! I have had a Lilia, Lillia, Lila & Lily in my class, but never a Layla!
emsmile.gif

I used to hate my name, Shannon, as well. It is also becoming a lot more common, but it''s starting to grow on me after all these years. My brother''s name is Sean (Shawn), so you can imagine the mix-up around relatives!

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Just thought of two more...

I also love Quinn for a girl, but can''t think of a middle name to go with it...

I knew a gal who named her little girl Quaye...I thought it was such a unique name.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2007 10:07:56 PM

Date: 7/10/2007 9:12:19 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

I had a kitten I wanted to name seamus years and years ago and my mom said, ''now why would anyone want to name a boy Shame Us?'' Ruined a good name for me
7.gif
That''s just not right!!! I have only ever had one Seamus in my class, and I never thought of it that way, but now I always will!
yeah my mom bitched and moaned about the name we chose for a girl - even after we officially named her that she complained about it but by the time my daughter was about 2 or 3 she loved it and denied she ever didn''t like it ROFL Seriously - didn''t even remember not liking it. *I* remembered though....
38.gif

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Sara,

May I ask what you named your daughter?

Funny, my mom only remembers things she wants to, also!!! Go figure!

Harleigh

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Harleigh, I had a friend named Quinn...

I think her name was Quinn Elizabeth...

I like Quinn Alexa too...it can sound like Queen though, but I like it.

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
diamondfan,

I love the name Elizabeth, too...that Queen Elizabeth thing cracked me up! I don''t know that I ever would have thought of that, but you are definitely right!

I''m not sure where I came up w/Quinn-it was probably in some trashy romance novel I can''t seem to help reading, especially when I''m on summer vacation
3.gif
!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the names Serena, Roxanne and Avery too, random thoughts...I think you could use Quinn as the middle name, like Avery Quinn or something, and then it can sound like a last name!

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2007 1:08:28 AM
Author: diamondfan
I love the names Serena, Roxanne and Avery too, random thoughts...I think you could use Quinn as the middle name, like Avery Quinn or something, and then it can sound like a last name!
Unfortunately, my first name is Shannon and my FF''s last name is a Van V___en...I think Quinn would make a great middle name if the last name didn''t have the same end sound.
8.gif
I do like how it sounds with my first name, but I haven''t figured out anything to go in between...but, I guess if we never have kids, it won''t really matter, will it???
9.gif

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
I love the name Quinn. I have known boys and girls with that name and it works for both!

Had my two sons been girls... they would have been named Ella, Molly or Erin. We also considered Helena, Keely and Frances.

Boys names were tough for us. I tried so hard for Aidan, Carter, Finn or Reed. My DH didn''t go for any of ''em. Fortunately we both liked classic boy names and ended up going with Ryan and Jack. We also liked Sean and Jacob.

We do not plan on having any more children... but sometimes I imagine a little Molly or Ella chasing after her big brothers.

1.gif

Erin

Ideal_Rock
My mom would say, I have a boy and two girls, Erin, Shannon and Devin.

haha - now tell me which name is the boy...AND we''re not Irish
20.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Selene Rowan or Rhiann are the girl names I like.

I do like Quinn for a boy, and Reed... and Leo.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2007 10:19:43 PM

Date: 7/10/2007 7:56:49 PM

I think Layla is a beautiful name! I have had a Lilia, Lillia, Lila & Lily in my class, but never a Layla!
emsmile.gif

I used to hate my name, Shannon, as well. It is also becoming a lot more common, but it''s starting to grow on me after all these years. My brother''s name is Sean (Shawn), so you can imagine the mix-up around relatives!
Thank you Harleigh.
1.gif

I like Shannon... my favorite Irish name is (and I''m going to TOTALLY mangle the spelling cause it sounds nothing like it''s spelled) Siobain pronounced Shivhan? I love that name.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Tacori, just curious, you mentioned Keely doesn''t rhyme with goalie, so how are you saying it?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2007 10:53:35 PM
Author: KimberlyH
Tacori, just curious, you mentioned Keely doesn't rhyme with goalie, so how are you saying it?

Hmmm...maybe I am saying it wrong. I am saying it with a looong E. I found this on a baby name website: KEE-lee
How do you say it?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2007 11:07:09 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring

Date: 7/11/2007 10:53:35 PM
Author: KimberlyH
Tacori, just curious, you mentioned Keely doesn''t rhyme with goalie, so how are you saying it?

Hmmm...maybe I am saying it wrong. I am saying it with a looong E. I found this on a baby name website: KEE-lee
How do you say it?
My niece''s is pronouced KEE-lee too.

My brother was the first one in the entire family to be born in America. My dad wanted to name him HANS.

Now, nothing against the name, but we''re talking a little Korean boy born in the 70s! My only American uncle talked some sense into my father. The irony is my brother hates his proper English name (Charles) and would WAY rather have been named Hans because he thinks it''s cool now.

As for our kid''s names, we joked that people drank so many Irish Car Bombs at our wedding that we would name our son Jameson and our daugther Bailey.
9.gif

But in seriousness, we actually agreed on names on the first pass. TGuy loves Aaron for a boy. I agreed, as it sounded sensible and strong. I picked Amelia for a girl (pronounced Ameh-lia and not Amee-lia) because it takes the first three letters of AMErica (where I am from) and the last three letters of his country, AustraLIA. I also like the whole Amelia Earhart adventurous spirit thing...albeit not her unsolved demise!

We were going to use Korean and Australia, but Korelia? Koralia? Korealia? Does that sound like some kind of weird disease to you?
33.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
So am I saying goalie wrong b/c the way I say it, they don''t rhyme
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif

What about Korlia? I love your girl''s name and the reason behind it. VERY special!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results