shape
carat
color
clarity

Favorite baby names

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
What are your thoughts on not using a name if a friend (or maybe even a family member) has already used it? I really don''t understand what the big deal is, personally. I know some people would never dream of using a name that someone else has already "claimed."

Actually, my mom and my aunt (her sister in law) had made a deal that the first one to have a boy would get to name him Kevin, as they both loved the name. My mom got pregnant first and when my parents found out they were having a girl (my sister), my mom still wanted to use the name but spell it Cevyn. My dad talked her out of it. A year later, my aunt found out she was having a boy. I now have a 27 year old cousin named Kevin.
1.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2007 4:59:36 PM
Author: divergrrl

Date: 3/12/2007 9:11:52 PM
Author: KimberlyH
There was another thread on this somewhere and I made DH play with me (we aren''t even 100% sure we want kids, but it was a fun evening walk game).

Boys: Colin, Cole, Charles, Isaac, Drew, Gabriel

Girls: Gillian, Delaney, Maureen, Meredith, Maryn, Mylie

I think my top two first/middle name combos would have to be Colin Patrick and Gillian Clare.

Holy moley KimberlyH....I just found out I''m pregnant with a girl & we''re pretty sure Delaney is her name!!

I have a son:

Jake Nicholas (just Jake, I am not fond of Jacob for some reason--I know, I named my kid the diminutive, but Jake is so cool, it stands well on its own).

My short list of names for girls was:

Delaney
Daphne (my fave flower/plant..I have them)
Samantha

For a boy: (but alas, I''m done...either myself or DH is getting fixed after this baby)

Samuel James

Must check ssa website.

Divergrrl aka Jeannine (aka the hardest name ever, I find myself spelling it daily for SOMEONE out there)
Jeannine,

I have loved this name since I was 12 years old (a boy I went to school with called me Kim Delaney and I fell in love with the name then). I wanted to change my name to Delaney for years. My sister and I are both huge parrotheads and when she discovered that Mr. Buffett has a daughter named Delaney she decided that is what she would name her little girl. We''ve fought about it (jokingly) for the past 10 years or so. She has a son who is 16 months, and no plans for a second child so I''m still in the race, if we do have kids). It''s a great choice I give you my stamp of approval...hehehe
2.gif
9.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Like I said in the other thread, I am a labor and delivery nurse, so I know all the most popular names out there right now...some of them are so overused its ridiculous!!! It has been difficult to come up with names for my FI and I (not that we need them anytime soon) but here are the few we''ve agreed upon so far:

For a boy: Gavin, Ryan, Julian
For a girl: Kerstin, Audrey, Natalie

I find boy names much harder. I always tease FI that we are going to have 3 girls. That makes him very unhappy.
2.gif
He is dying for a son.
3.gif

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Dani, what are the overused names in your hospital??

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2007 9:56:26 PM
Author: sunkist

I was wondering the same thing. I always hated how common my name is.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dani, I have three boys, and always had a girl named readily picked out after my first...who was named for my dad and a non negotiable point...

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Well, for girls a few that comes to mind include: Ava, Sophia, Isabella, Olivia, Kaitlyn, Kayla, Emma, Emily, Ella, Gabriella, Grace, and now I am hearing Addison and Lily a lot too.

For a boy: Jake, Jacob, Luke, Lucas, Jack, Noah, Ethan, Zachary.

I'm sure I am missing some but those are the main ones that come to mind!!!!
2.gif

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if "Addison" comes from Grey''s Anatomy!

My favorites:

Boy: Eric (also A''s favorite grandparent), Darius, Asher, Zacariah, Joseph

Girl: Naomi, Vivian, Lara, Susannah, Scarlett, Dinah, Eve, Judith, Lailia

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2007 11:09:38 AM
Author: Dani
Like I said in the other thread, I am a labor and delivery nurse, so I know all the most popular names out there right now...some of them are so overused its ridiculous!!! It has been difficult to come up with names for my FI and I (not that we need them anytime soon) but here are the few we''ve agreed upon so far:

I find boy names much harder. I always tease FI that we are going to have 3 girls. That makes him very unhappy.
2.gif
He is dying for a son.
3.gif

Dani-
I thought this was so funny as my fiance is Ryan and I''m Audrey...
36.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Fun thread!

Our kids are Joshua (Ellis) and Kendra (Leanne), and believe me, we aren''t having any more!
2.gif

These days, I tend to like the "ending-in-er" type of names -- Hunter, Tanner, Dexter, Spencer, Walker... and most of those can go for a boy or a girl.

I also work in a hospital, and if I had a nickle for every little Madison, Ava, Kayla, McKayla, McKenzie, Isabella, Emma, Sophia and Olivia that we have born there, I would be a rich woman!!!

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2007 6:29:28 PM
Author: zoebartlett
What are your thoughts on not using a name if a friend (or maybe even a family member) has already used it? I really don''t understand what the big deal is, personally. I know some people would never dream of using a name that someone else has already ''claimed.''

Actually, my mom and my aunt (her sister in law) had made a deal that the first one to have a boy would get to name him Kevin, as they both loved the name. My mom got pregnant first and when my parents found out they were having a girl (my sister), my mom still wanted to use the name but spell it Cevyn. My dad talked her out of it. A year later, my aunt found out she was having a boy. I now have a 27 year old cousin named Kevin.
1.gif

My now former friend did this to me. When I was pregnant with Jake (before I knew he was a HE) I had a baby website & it said "Sophie or Jake?" as those were our two names we wanted. When I found out I was having a boy, it came up in a conversation with her that I still liked Sophie if I ever had a little girl.

Well....a year and a half later she''s pregnant with her 3rd child & tells me the name is Lauren (which is a great name). So its Lauren, Lauren, Lauren for months. Then one day I go over & she''s got the letters SOPHIA hanging from her nursery wall. I was like....oooooooookay. She actually got this combative look on her face & said "she who''s pregnant first gets the first dibs on names so too damn bad!".

I have to tell y''all...I wouldn''t have CARED that much. All she had to do was say she loved the name and was using it. I mean she WAS pg with a girl & I wasn''t (and who knew I''d even have a girl someday?) so I''d have been good with her using the name. But her attitude was so, odd, that it made me take a look at her other behaviors. (very insecure & jealous girl...tries to undermine her girlfriends to make herself feel better).

Oh well, I let it go, but Karma has a funny way of setting things straight. Her first trip to the park with the new baby .... there were 5 little girls there...3 Ava''s (her 2nd daughter who is 2) and 2 Sophia''s....LOL!!! Snap!!! She was so ticked her two names were so popular. I did enjoy a private giggle on that one.

Diver

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 8:13:17 PM

Date: 4/14/2007 6:29:28 PM
What are your thoughts on not using a name if a friend (or maybe even a family member) has already used it? I really don''t understand what the big deal is, personally. I know some people would never dream of using a name that someone else has already ''claimed.''

1.gif

My now former friend did this to me. When I was pregnant with Jake (before I knew he was a HE) I had a baby website & it said ''Sophie or Jake?'' as those were our two names we wanted. When I found out I was having a boy, it came up in a conversation with her that I still liked Sophie if I ever had a little girl.

Well....a year and a half later she''s pregnant with her 3rd child & tells me the name is Lauren (which is a great name). So its Lauren, Lauren, Lauren for months. Then one day I go over & she''s got the letters SOPHIA hanging from her nursery wall. I was like....oooooooookay. She actually got this combative look on her face & said ''she who''s pregnant first gets the first dibs on names so too damn bad!''.

I have to tell y''all...I wouldn''t have CARED that much. All she had to do was say she loved the name and was using it. I mean she WAS pg with a girl & I wasn''t (and who knew I''d even have a girl someday?) so I''d have been good with her using the name. But her attitude was so, odd, that it made me take a look at her other behaviors. (very insecure & jealous girl...tries to undermine her girlfriends to make herself feel better).

Oh well, I let it go, but Karma has a funny way of setting things straight. Her first trip to the park with the new baby .... there were 5 little girls there...3 Ava''s (her 2nd daughter who is 2) and 2 Sophia''s....LOL!!! Snap!!! She was so ticked her two names were so popular. I did enjoy a private giggle on that one.

Diver
Haha...Serves her right. I love what comes around goes around stories! On the flip side I had a friend that while trying to get pregnant claimed EVERY name anyone else even considered or mentioned. Finally I was like, how many kids are you going to have because you have forbid anyone to use the 10 names you have picked out. Well, after two years of trying she was finally pregnant and didn''t use any of her ''claimed'' names. I really think she was jealous because it took her so long and so much money to conceive and people were getting pregnant all around her. I do have sympathy for anyone that has to go through that.

dani13

Ideal_Rock

Date: 4/16/2007 3:50:49 PM
Author: scarlet16

Date: 4/15/2007 11:09:38 AM

2.gif
He is dying for a son.
3.gif

Dani-
I thought this was so funny as my fiance is Ryan and I''m Audrey...
36.gif

LOL, Scarlet, too cute!!!
2.gif

I SO LOVE yours and your FI''s names!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is so tough when you love a name and a close friend takes it...I have heard stories about that with friends, where one sister, who is not married or pregnant, tells the pregnant sister she cannot use a certain name that they both like...it can get really nasty. My oldest, I named for my father, and it is one of the most common names in the universe, one year at camp he had 6 kids in a bunk of 12 with the same name...but I did not care, I wanted it. And my sister, who never had kids, knew that my first was going to be named for my father, boy or girl...

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 5:08:37 AM

Well, for girls a few that comes to mind include: Ava, Sophia, Isabella, Olivia, Kaitlyn, Kayla, Emma, Emily, Ella, Gabriella, Grace, and now I am hearing Addison and Lily a lot too.

I''m sure I am missing some but those are the main ones that come to mind!!!!
2.gif
Some of the names I love! I think Olivia Grace is a great name but unfortunately, I think it (Olivia [FFI''s last name]) would sound funny together. I''ve always especially loved Ella (or Ellie) but then I''d have the same problem I just mentioned.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 6:21:06 PM
Author: Lynn B
Fun thread!

Our kids are Joshua (Ellis) and Kendra (Leanne), and believe me, we aren't having any more!
2.gif

These days, I tend to like the 'ending-in-er' type of names -- Hunter, Tanner, Dexter, Spencer, Walker... and most of those can go for a boy or a girl.

I also work in a hospital, and if I had a nickle for every little Madison, Ava, Kayla, McKayla, McKenzie, Isabella, Emma, Sophia and Olivia that we have born there, I would be a rich woman!!!
Lynn, is that a family name, or did you just pick it?

That is my dads name, and is my oldests middle name.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I am so surprised that Sophie/Sophia is so popular now. I had a beloved great Aunt Sophie and I''ve always thought about naming a future child after her. I didn''t have any clue that there could be a playground full of Sophies!

Dani, are there any funny names you''ve come across that you could share? My DH works in a hospital too and I think my favorite one he''s mentioned is a mom who ate so much jello during her pregnancy that she named her twins Oranjello and Lemonjello. I made him swear up and down he was not making it up!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2007 3:23:46 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
If I had it to do all over again.. (and I don''t.. lol) these are the names I like..

I''d have chosen one of my boys'' names to be Logan Matthew and had I had another girl, either Bailey, Mackenzie, Madison, Isabella with the middle name of Marie (I don''t know why, I simply like it. lol).

I have an:

Audrey Kathleen (my Mom''s name and my middle name)
William Arron
Zachariah Abraham Isaac Jacob &
Alexander David Joseph

My ex husband named our sons.. I shouldn''t have allowed it..
20.gif
rofl

I LOVE the name Audrey! I really like the older names.

For a girl:

Audrey
Evelyn
Vivian
Mathilda
Erin
Stella
May

For boys:
Ian
Duncan
Avery
Casey
Colin
Logan

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2007 7:05:16 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 4/16/2007 6:21:06 PM
Fun thread!

Our kids are Joshua (Ellis) and Kendra (Leanne), and believe me, we aren''t having any more!
2.gif

These days, I tend to like the ''ending-in-er'' type of names -- Hunter, Tanner, Dexter, Spencer, Walker... and most of those can go for a boy or a girl.

Lynn, is that a family name, or did you just pick it?

That is my dads name, and is my oldests middle name.
Ellen,
Yes, it is a family name (my husband''s father''s first name) - which we just love. Josh didn''t like it in (grade) school, though, some kids teased him and called him "Joshua ALICE"!
2.gif

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 12:14:03 AM
Author: gailrmv
I am so surprised that Sophie/Sophia is so popular now. I had a beloved great Aunt Sophie and I''ve always thought about naming a future child after her. I didn''t have any clue that there could be a playground full of Sophies!

Dani, are there any funny names you''ve come across that you could share? My DH works in a hospital too and I think my favorite one he''s mentioned is a mom who ate so much jello during her pregnancy that she named her twins Oranjello and Lemonjello. I made him swear up and down he was not making it up!
Sorry Gail, that one is an urban legend!
3.gif

http://www.babynamewizard.com/blog/2004/09/oranjello-and-lemonjello.html

(The only reason I looked it up is because I remember a comedian joking about that years ago!!)

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Lynn, my middle name is "Marie", and for some reason I say it weird- MUH-ree- and everyone thought it was "Murray". Nice. Also, since my first and last names are colors, everyone would say, "Is the M for Magenta?" har har har.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2007 3:21:43 PM
Author: AmberWaves
Lynn, my middle name is 'Marie', and for some reason I say it weird- MUH-ree- and everyone thought it was 'Murray'. Nice. Also, since my first and last names are colors, everyone would say, 'Is the M for Magenta?' har har har.
you're not the only one. remember with airbrushed t-shirts were popular? well i have one from when i was oh, maybe 4 years old or something. it says jolie - not julie. yeh. they asked me my name and i couldn't freakin pronounce it.
people have also been known to think i say jelly - when i was younger too. fun times
20.gif

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2007 7:37:03 PM

There was another thread on this somewhere and I made DH play with me (we aren''t even 100% sure we want kids, but it was a fun evening walk game).

I think my top two first/middle name combos would have to be Colin Patrick and Gillian Clare.

Holy moley KimberlyH....I just found out I''m pregnant with a girl & we''re pretty sure Delaney is her name!!

I have a son:

Jake Nicholas (just Jake, I am not fond of Jacob for some reason--I know, I named my kid the diminutive, but Jake is so cool, it stands well on its own).

Delaney
Samantha

For a boy: (but alas, I''m done...either myself or DH is getting fixed after this baby)

Samuel James

Must check ssa website.

Divergrrl aka Jeannine (aka the hardest name ever, I find myself spelling it daily for SOMEONE out there)
Jeannine,

I have loved this name since I was 12 years old (a boy I went to school with called me Kim Delaney and I fell in love with the name then). I wanted to change my name to Delaney for years. My sister and I are both huge parrotheads and when she discovered that Mr. Buffett has a daughter named Delaney she decided that is what she would name her little girl. We''ve fought about it (jokingly) for the past 10 years or so. She has a son who is 16 months, and no plans for a second child so I''m still in the race, if we do have kids). It''s a great choice I give you my stamp of approval...hehehe
2.gif
9.gif
So sorry to digress here, but just had to chime in and say that I always knew you were cool, Kimberly- but from one parrothead to another, you''re SUPER-COOL!

Back to our regularly scheduled program... I''ve always loved the name Julia for a girl and Alexander for a boy. Dunno about the middle name- I didn''t have one until I got married and made my maiden name into my middle name. We''ll probably use one of our parents names.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2007 2:37:08 PM

Ellen,
Yes, it is a family name (my husband''s father''s first name) - which we just love. Josh didn''t like it in (grade) school, though, some kids teased him and called him ''Joshua ALICE''!
2.gif
lol

I don''t recall my son having any trouble, but who knows if he ever told anyone.

I don''t think he was too fond of it when he was very young. But he came to appreciate my dad quite a bit as he got older, which was hard as he was definitely a "grumpy old man".
2.gif
After he got to know him, and especially after he passed away, I think my son became quite proud to have his name.

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 9:53:15 PM

Date: 4/16/2007 5:08:37 AM

I''m sure I am missing some but those are the main ones that come to mind!!!!
2.gif
Some of the names I love! I think Olivia Grace is a great name but unfortunately, I think it (Olivia [FFI''s last name]) would sound funny together. I''ve always especially loved Ella (or Ellie) but then I''d have the same problem I just mentioned.
I''m doing postpartum doula work for a family with boy and girl twins. The baby girl is Olivia Grace! My daughter hopes to name her baby Olivia when that time comes - her last name is Green. Olivia Green - do you think of green olive?

30 years ago, we named our son Noah - it wasn''t very common back then. I never thought it would become so popular.

biblobaggins23

Shiny_Rock
i don''t like baby names that don''t go with the nationality/ethnicity of the last name or the family name. i think it sounds absolutely insane! for example, i don''t like it when parents put together an italian name with an irish name like isabella mcdonald (if the kid has like red hair and freckles) or suri cruise (persian) or somthing. i think parents get baby fever over names and don''t think of reality when putting together good flowing names that go with your last name. but, to each his own. i don''t like it for me personally.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2007 8:25:20 PM
Author: biblobaggins23
i don't like baby names that don't go with the nationality/ethnicity of the last name or the family name. i think it sounds absolutely insane! for example, i don't like it when parents put together an italian name with an irish name like isabella mcdonald (if the kid has like red hair and freckles) or suri cruise (persian) or somthing.
Goodness gracious. If I followed this rule, my children would have to be named Akiko or Hiroko or Saki... even though they'll only be 1/8 Japanese and likely have brown/red hair
3.gif

This rule doesn't work once ethnicities are blended (which they very much are in most of this country). FI is 1/4 Japanese-Hawaiian and gets the "ohhh, I guess I can see that..." when he tells people.

I refuse to have to give my kids Japanese names just to "go with their last name," when they will likely not look a BIT Japanese. That would make no sense!

ETA: I have an Indian name (though it sounds caucasian) with a VERY caucasian last name, and FI has a Greek/Hebrew name with a VERY Japanese last name. I doubt anyone thinks anything of it.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2007 6:01:40 PM
Author: ChargerGrrl

Date: 4/14/2007 7:37:03 PM

I have a son:

Delaney
Samantha

Samuel James

Must check ssa website.

Jeannine,

2.gif
9.gif
So sorry to digress here, but just had to chime in and say that I always knew you were cool, Kimberly- but from one parrothead to another, you''re SUPER-COOL!

Back to our regularly scheduled program... I''ve always loved the name Julia for a girl and Alexander for a boy. Dunno about the middle name- I didn''t have one until I got married and made my maiden name into my middle name. We''ll probably use one of our parents names.
Right back atcha, Charger. My sister actually predicted she would marry a man she met at a J. Buffett concert and did! Even though I''m a married woman, Jimmy will always be my man.

Trelala

Shiny_Rock
Hmm, Ms. Biblobaggins, you definitely have strong opinions. As a teacher, I see all sorts of "ethnic" last names strung together with first names of a different culture. None of us here at my California high school bat an eye to see the following names:
Sarah Chang (old Hebrew name with a Chinese/Korean last name)
Anne Lee
Jonathan Tran
David Nguyen

I''m actually grateful I don''t have to embarrass myself by mispronouncing their Chinese/Viet/Cambodian/Thai/etc. name. Besides, I think taking names from different cultures shows an open mindedness that I find admirable. If people followed your rule, then the currently popular name "Sophia" may only be used on kids of Greek descent.

I had a student named Darius, after the Persian king. He''s half Persian & half Irish. I know an American born Chinese graced with the Spanish name of Isabella. I guess your post just baffles me because mixing "ethnic" names is the norm here!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Chloe was my grandmother's name and Jack was my grandfather's, so those are strong contenders. I also had a dream that I had a daughter named Claire, and my husband and I both like the sound of it with our last name. Our last name starts with L so in my opinion the first name shouldn't start or end with it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results