shape
carat
color
clarity

Fave Nail Polishes...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know we have a few other threads that talk about nails and colors and stuff but the only other fave color thread is in the LIW and I know not everyone goes in there...

So I wanted to start this one fresh because I have two new colors that I just LOVE that I got last week at the beauty supply store.

I am a total pale pink whore and am always looking for new sheer pinks or similar to wear on top of my natural nails. I love Mademoiselle from Essie, and have a few other Essie colors that I use religiously. Vanity Fairest and LimoScene are two others I really like. I also use their white for my french manicures as well.

So right now my nails are short and blunt with just a tiny white line of nail showing for summer...it makes my hands look cleaner as with summer heat and all that my nails tend to get dry if I grow them out.

So the two that I got last week are Pink Glove Service and Room with a View. PGS in the bottle looks like a bright bubble gum pink but it's very sheer, so sheer that 2 coats of it looks just like the barest touch of warm pink on my nails. I love polishes like that because they not only work on their own but you can put them on top of other more strong polishes to tone them down a bit or jazz up nude colors a bit as well. The Room with a View is a soft pale sheer pink but with a tiny bit of opalesence to it...where it has that shimmery pearl tone to it. I had my nails done last nite at the salon and I chose an orangey browny color from the chair while they were working on my feet and I didn't like it at all when it went on, it was too bright and horrible. But I am sooo not the sort who likes to make them take it off and redo another color esp when it was my choice, hehee. So I came home and put this RWaV on it and it is PERFECT now like a soft shimmery pinky orange coral.

So anyway, anyone got any new fave colors or ones you haven't listed before (or ones you did but want to list them again??). I am always on the lookout for new stuff!! I love doing my nails even when they are short because my rings look SO much better on cared for hands!!
9.gif
I figure my hands are accessories to my bling.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
My new fave is a sheer pink by Color Club called Angels N Pink. Yummy pink color and it lasts. I got it at a beauty supply store. Haven''t seen this brand around much. I also love the pinks by Essie, they''re great too.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been growing out my fake nails, and had what was left taken off about a week and a half ago! They actually aren''t as bad as I thought they would be...I think the manicure I got after I had them off probably helped a bit. My mom''s were a complete mess and all ridgy when she had hers off after having them for about 6 months, and I had mine on for about 4 years!
6.gif

I''m keeping them cut right off, and I got some sheer nude Hard as Nails...but it seems to just peel off the tips within a day and half!

Do you guys have any ideas about a good brand that will stick? I always do french, or very sheer pinks on my hands....and I''ve used OPI for my toes, but I put bold colors on my toes so they''re no good for my poor little fingers!

Apsara

Shiny_Rock
No matter what, I keep coming back to Essie''s Madamoiselle. It just goes with everything and looks so "polished."
2.gif
It''s also neutral for fingers so it goes with anything on toes. I like a classic red (Like revlon''s Cherries in the Snow) or french on toes.
1.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the pale pinkie colors too becuase your nails look "done" and you can stretch it an extra day or two when the tips start to chip since the polish is so subtle.

Usually I get Essie's Fit Me On The Jitney as a first coat and then Vanity Fairest as the second coat. Limosine is a bit too violet for my icky pale skin
8.gif
. (Blame it on my Irish ancesters!)

Yesterday I had my nails done at a salon owned by Elizabeth Arden and I got Belize (an EA color). It's a little sheerer than Fit Me On The Jitney.

For OPI I like Sweetheart or Ballet Slippers.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I too am a fan of sheer neutral nail polish colors although sometimes I do use something jazzier on my toes for summer. I have tried the new Essie ones you mentioned Mara and I really like them! I also recommend Essie''s Sold Out Show which has a subtle touch of sparkle and OPI''s Passion and Coney Island Cotton Candy.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
OPI Bubble Bath, and I love Lipman Sarah Smile...I got it in NY and I think it is the best...not too pink or peach or white or beige...she designed it for Sarah Jessica Parker and I get a lot of compliments on it. I love the sheer colors, but find they can be too much of something, too pink or white, and not look great., This one looks great on almost all who have tried it...you can now order it on QVC or if you are in NY you can get it too...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
tawn it could be that your nails are producing too much oil for your nail polish to stick. i would use nail polish remover on them, and then wash them with soap and water and dry them thoroughly...then paint them...i find if i leave any oil or lotion or anything on my nails before i paint them, the polish peels in a day or two.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2006 4:22:43 PM
Author: tawn
I''ve been growing out my fake nails, and had what was left taken off about a week and a half ago! They actually aren''t as bad as I thought they would be...I think the manicure I got after I had them off probably helped a bit. My mom''s were a complete mess and all ridgy when she had hers off after having them for about 6 months, and I had mine on for about 4 years!
6.gif

I''m keeping them cut right off, and I got some sheer nude Hard as Nails...but it seems to just peel off the tips within a day and half!

Do you guys have any ideas about a good brand that will stick? I always do french, or very sheer pinks on my hands....and I''ve used OPI for my toes, but I put bold colors on my toes so they''re no good for my poor little fingers!

Tawn, I heard somewhere that when they soak your nails they are more porous and the polish can peel. Have you had a dry manicure? They use warmed lotion instead of water. Some people think water weakens nails...

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
I think that my poor violated nails are so paper thin that the ends just bend and cracks the polish? I will never get acrylic nails again! I did love them for a long long time...but growing them out is just pure hell!

Where do you buy the Essie polish? I''ve had the fakeys for so long that I only have one bottle of fingernail polish!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Acrylics are damaging when you take the off, thin nails are common, and they will have to grow out. I think that Essie has a website now, and you can order off of it, and most beauty supplies/salons carry it...that and OPI are pretty standard. I have heard that even the fancy stuff is all the same, you are just paying for the bottle/packaging...Also, some people do not like toululene (spelling?) which is an additive and can be allergy inducing in people...but Essie and OPI do not contain it, at least I do not think so...

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
My new favorite that I have used the last 5 times I got a manicure or did my own nails is LimoScene. Absolutely love this color and found it by accident when I had already picked another color and noticed it on the lady in the chair next to mine. I asked her what it was and she had no idea, but her nail tech gave it to me.
I loved it so much, I ran to the beauty supply store to buy it.

There is another color that I like called white, but it is a sheer creamy milky white and goes on so nice and even, it''s by Avanti and I found it at the pharmacy.

I also like Baby''s breath and some Duri polishes, but don''t know them off the top of my head at the moment.

I have Mademoiselle, but I am not a complete fan of it as I feel it doesn''t show up as much on me. I like sheers, but not too too sheer,because then I don''t feel like i am wearing nail polish.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2006 11:11:02 PM
Author: diamondfan
OPI Bubble Bath, and I love Lipman Sarah Smile...I got it in NY and I think it is the best...not too pink or peach or white or beige...she designed it for Sarah Jessica Parker and I get a lot of compliments on it. I love the sheer colors, but find they can be too much of something, too pink or white, and not look great., This one looks great on almost all who have tried it...you can now order it on QVC or if you are in NY you can get it too...
Thanks, now I am running over to check out the Lipmann polishes. She is the manicurist to the stars! Known for her perfectly oval shaped nails.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2006 9:41:14 AM
Author: butterfly 17

Date: 6/4/2006 11:11:02 PM
Author: diamondfan
Thanks, now I am running over to check out the Lipmann polishes. She is the manicurist to the stars! Known for her perfectly oval shaped nails.

She is, and I do love this color, as well as others of hers...

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
Love the OPI line of pinks...very good polish and they dont chip quicklyand stay shiny for a while....i also like the chocolate mousse OPI that they have for darker polish...

diamondfan: love the bubble bath color too!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2006 11:23:33 AM
Author: msb700
Love the OPI line of pinks...very good polish and they dont chip quicklyand stay shiny for a while....i also like the chocolate mousse OPI that they have for darker polish...

diamondfan: love the bubble bath color too!

It is great, and that whole line is great! OPI polish was created by a dental products guy, and the stuff is pretty resistant to chips...

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
OPI''s Coney Island Cotton candy is the BEST! its the only nail color I have ever actually finished the bottle on...

I also love all the neutrals from Essie. I got roped in when I first read all the celebs wore "Ballet Slippers" which is a great color, and then I kept getting other colors. I only wear French manicures or neutral ivories, peaches and pinks on my fingers. Its so much easier to maintain and less noticeable if it chips (and since I wash my hand so often during the day that is important). for me its more professional and patients see my hands a lot during the exam so I keep the brights on my toes (although I love a good French pedicure in the summer!)

Also recommend Revivanail as a good nail hardener.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i will have to try ballet slippers, don''t think i have that one!!

also that lipman sarah one sounds interesting, i will have to check out it.

i love collecting sheer pinks...esp in the hot hot summer months it''s perfect. and it really looks good with anything!!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
How funny- I used to have my lady do one coat of mademoiselle and one of ballet slippers on top. Looks awesome. Not too beige and not too pink.
For my toes, I *only only only* use Brucci "Jamie Lee''s Jam".... it''s a very dark red...not orangie...not pinkie..just deep blood red. It''s amazing. Lasts forever!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara, you can now find it on QVC I think...I got mine in New York originally but I am sure if you google her it will be easy to find...

moremoremore, I was always doing that! this was too pink, this too white, this too peach...until OPI bubble bath and the Lippman color I never could find one I like...and it seemed Essie''s batches could be off too, and a shade could come in different...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I currently love white polish on the toes. The gal who did my last pedicure had white polish on and it looked so cute for some reason. I asked her what color it was and she said she used the white that they use for french manicures. I went for it and love how it looks with different colored flip flops. It was a nice change for me because I always have color on my toes. It looks best with darker skin or tanned feet though
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2006 7:58:36 AM
Author: mrssalvo
I currently love white polish on the toes. The gal who did my last pedicure had white polish on and it looked so cute for some reason. I asked her what color it was and she said she used the white that they use for french manicures. I went for it and love how it looks with different colored flip flops. It was a nice change for me because I always have color on my toes. It looks best with darker skin or tanned feet though
1.gif
Hehe I think I have seen that Mrs S. It totally doesn't work for me though because my feet are pretty dark dark in the summer and then I think I look like my feet are diseased or something because it's too much of a contrast!! I actually love doing french on the toes, but I don't think I could pull off the whole white toe thing. Take a picture for us of yours and post it! I wanna see.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2006 12:17:33 PM
Author: Mara
Hehe I think I have seen that Mrs S. It totally doesn''t work for me though because my feet are pretty dark dark in the summer and then I think I look like my feet are diseased or something because it''s too much of a contrast!! I actually love doing french on the toes, but I don''t think I could pull off the whole white toe thing. Take a picture for us of yours and post it! I wanna see.

ok, i can''t believe I actually took a picture of my foot
37.gif
it''s a good thing hubby isn''t home or he''d think I''d lost it for sure
9.gif
. I tried to get the most realistic pic of the color. my skin is a little darker than the picture shows but of course we all know you can''t really tell color on a computer monitor
9.gif

flipflopsillypic.jpg

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Hey MrsS: You have a really cute foot!!!! I like a good french pedicure or a bright colour myself, but this definitely works for you!!!

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/5/2006 8:28:08 PM
Author: PunchNPie75
OPI''s Coney Island Cotton candy is the BEST! its the only nail color I have ever actually finished the bottle on...

I also love all the neutrals from Essie. I got roped in when I first read all the celebs wore ''Ballet Slippers'' which is a great color, and then I kept getting other colors. I only wear French manicures or neutral ivories, peaches and pinks on my fingers. Its so much easier to maintain and less noticeable if it chips (and since I wash my hand so often during the day that is important). for me its more professional and patients see my hands a lot during the exam so I keep the brights on my toes (although I love a good French pedicure in the summer!)

Also recommend Revivanail as a good nail hardener.
I really like OPI''s Coney Island Cotton Candy as well...it''s one of my favs. I love alot of OPI colors but I mostly wear brighter colors (bright pinks and such for summer and darker maroons for winter) or french manicure ALOT. I have very pale hands (they don''t tan
38.gif
) so lighter pinks just look awful on me. I use the cotton candy with my french manicure and it''s fabulous!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve never gotten into the habit of painting my fingernails, most probably because until recently always seemed to be doing stuff where my hands got dirty and needed to wash them (labwork, house painting, inking). I guess I am also paranoid that nailpolish weakens nails, though that may be an old wive''s tales. If I did use something, those pale pink colors sound nice.

I''m the opposite for my toes, feel naked if don''t have nail polish on my toenails. Currently using maybelline forever strong "bold blush". Reminds me of the inside of a seashell.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Cute feet mrssalvo!!

Well, I just ordered the lippmann Sarah Smile color. I can''t wait to get it although it came out to over $20 with tax and shipping!

I hope it''s worth it.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
mrs salvo it looks perfect on you!!! i think that your awesome hot pink havanianas help too...it''s kind of like a reverse nail polish thing going on!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
butterfly, I hope you will love it, I do, and think it works on most complexions well...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the OPI colors but they always seem to chip on me quicky for some reason. I''m going to try some of the ones you all mentioned though.

Mara, I bought a bunch of the havaniana''s last year when you mentioned them here on PS. I love them. My sister just got me onto flip flops from Ann Taylor loft that are really great too b/c they have a little heel.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results