shape
carat
color
clarity

Fat arrow RB, yay or nay?

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone! I am looking for a pair of small RBs studs and found some fat arrow'ed ones on JA (yes I am an old cut fan). As a cushion girl I haven't paid much attention on the MRBs and don't know much about them. Below is an example with GIA report. I wonder if you could give me suggestions if MRBs like this are worth considering.

I am also considering the HPD diamonds as I am very impressed by their performance after viewing some videos posted here by other PSers. I know they all have thinner arrows but for that fire it will definitely do. My question is that does it worth to pay for the extra $$$ for such small diamonds?

Thanks a lot for your advice!

1596586653791.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The lower girdle facet is 75% on that stone, and that's still a modern round and not even close to an old cut. In a .40 stone, you're really not going to see any appreciable difference in 75 to 77. I would not choose that stone because it is too deep and the crown angle is too steep. When depth is too deep, it can make the stone's diameter less than it should be for the weight.

I bought my studs from Whiteflash (their ACAs) and have upgraded a few times. They usually have a nice selection of stones which makes it easier to match a pair. In a stone that size, you won't really be able to see a lot of difference in F to G and you definitely don't need VVS clarity. VS is totally fine and many people here choose lower than that to get a larger size. If buying from a non-superideal vendor, then use these measurements with GIA excellent cut stones to help stay within ideal light performance range.

Table: 54-57

Depth: 60-62.3

Crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 can work with a pav angle of 40.6)

Pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
I just bought a single .42 E CBI earring from HPD for my spouse and I have to say it is amazing! It really looks good in all lighting environments unlike my own diamond which falls just outside of the parameters given by @diamondseeker2006. It really does make a difference with MRB’s.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results